PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Anyone in Hervey Bay?

catch22
28th November 2011, 05:46 PM
Going to Hervey Bay for a holiday/visiting parents from 4th-28th, and keen to have a hit.
Anyone keen for a hit? Or know which courses to go to?
I'm off 25 (only been playing since April), bit of a hacker and terrible at putting (8 3 putts last round).

Also, does anyone know the best place/person to go for any lessons there? Living in the country I havent been for any lessons yet but wouldnt mind giving it a go while I'm in QLD

Thanks,
Peter

AndyP
28th November 2011, 07:05 PM
Hervey Bay GC and Maryborough GC are the two main courses up there.

catch22
29th November 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks Andy, I had a look at the website and will probably try to go for a few lessons as well as a few rounds!
Last time I visited HB (before I took up golf), I didnt even notice if there was a golf course! Now I'm combing the web looking for any and all courses I can play (my parents/wife think I'm a bit crazy)

AndyP
29th November 2011, 08:30 PM
I've only played Maryborough, and it was a nice course.

Stuartd147
29th November 2011, 08:50 PM
I was up there a few months back and played both courses...Hervey Bay greens are fast though compared to what I am used to, so this will sharpen your putting up....have fun, it is a nice place...Stu

Moe Norman
29th November 2011, 10:35 PM
Peter Meires is up there and is a great bloke, doesn't post here anymore sadly - hopefully he still lurks.

catch22
6th December 2011, 07:46 PM
Arrived in HB Saturday, went to the range on Sunday, then Monday tried out some of the second hand clubs at the range.
Settled on a good priced set of G15's and an R7 3 wood to use while I'm here. Also got a cheap maxfli putter for $30 and a really old bag from out the back for free!
Found out that Hervey Bay golf course and the Driving range are the same group (House of Golf) and the 5 pro's they have rotate between the two.
Have paid for 4 lessons from Stephen Taylor here and had the first today. Went pretty well, he showed me on the video where my swing was on the wrong plane, by the end I thought I was hitting it OK and gained probably 20m or so.

After that I played in the comp today at HB, went horribly and had 20pts (8 front, 12 back). 2 pars, lots of wipes, lots of trees. Was kind of fighting my normal swing a bit I think, also had a terrible time with chipping/putting. Hopefully I'll get to play at least another of the courses here and another 1 or 2 rounds at HB weather/fishing/travelling/family permitting (also have 3 lessons left!).