PDA

View Full Version : Swing and MGA coaching

aym
24th November 2011, 12:40 PM
Hi All – have a few questions re: swing and MGA coaching

Took a lesson last night with Bryan, like everyone has mentioned already, his a very nice bloke, I asked him to coach me the way I wanted to be coached so I can understand better, and he did exactly that, which was great, now my question is….

He told me that other than my down swing, my swing is pretty much text book, can’t really fault it… I am embarrassed to even be typing that, now I don’t have an official handicap but I shoot around the 90s, occasionally I’ll shoot 85 -87, but probably no more than 3 times a year (so something must be wrong with my swing), the guy that was having a lesson next me was getting told his swing up to a certain point was like a tour player ( I wasn’t looking at his swing), so I was thinking is this some new mental coaching method MGA is using?

Now question two, my iron back swing is quite upright, but Bryan said it was on plane, however he said my down swing needs to be lower in plane than my back swing (he said most pro/tour players are like that), anyway when I am doing it I can feel that I am hitting down more on the ball, the club face is more squared also my flight trajectory is lower giving me more distance off the tee, now I am sure most people would be saying “WTF are you complaining about”, to be honest nothing, but my issue is that my new swing doesn’t feel like it’s one piece or smooth anymore. I am going through my back swing and then dropping my arms down for my down swing. Was just thinking isn’t it better to just swing on the same plane as the down swing? Or maybe he doesn’t want to change my swing totally? ORRR it’s true that a good down swing is slightly lower than the back swing in terms of the plane?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

matty
24th November 2011, 10:05 PM
You need to ask your coach all those questions. Tell him to be totally honest with you. As for it not feeling like your own swing, it won't feel like it for months if you are attempting serious swing changes. Takes a while for it to become second nature. What feels good to you is probably not the best for a technically sound swing, or the part he thinks you need to change.

Puji
25th November 2011, 01:13 AM
Bryan knows his stuff.

these questions are best for him to answer not keyboard warriors on a forum.

aym
25th November 2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys, i'll be 2-3 weeks before I go back, do pro's normally answer questions over the phone? or I have to pay for it?

Jarro
25th November 2011, 09:36 AM
If he's a decent coach/person he'd more than likely give you some pointers on the phone

virge666
25th November 2011, 09:56 AM
Hi All – have a few questions re: swing and MGA coaching

Now question two, my iron back swing is quite upright, but Bryan said it was on plane, however he said my down swing needs to be lower in plane than my back swing (he said most pro/tour players are like that), anyway when I am doing it I can feel that I am hitting down more on the ball, the club face is more squared also my flight trajectory is lower giving me more distance off the tee, now I am sure most people would be saying “WTF are you complaining about”,

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What he is saying is completely true.

The downswing is always "flatter" than the backswing. It is due to the body initiating the downswing and the arms initiating the backswing. That little hip bump or clearing the hips will always flatten the downswing - which is what gives you power.

For further proof - check out slow mo action on TV and YouTube.

Go with it Tang - he knows his shit.

aym
25th November 2011, 10:16 AM
thanks Anthony, quick one, whats a hip bump?