PDA

View Full Version : Junior Clubs - Clubmakers, help please !!

becaben
20th November 2011, 06:25 PM
My 10yo son is pretty keen on his golf at the moment. He has a set of Walter Hagen junior clubs which are pretty good for the money:
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/12-piece-walter-hagen-junior-gold-series-iii/

However, he was out with me the other day for a quick hit at Royal Penrose and was borrowing my clubs (Callaway X Tour with DG S300s) which he was choking down the grip on but hitting it a mile (6i was going about 130m with a lot of run). When he has his Hagens he doesn't get anywhere near the distance. I think some of this is due to him having to swing slower with the X Tours but it may also be that the Hagens are just too whippy and light for him.

As an experiment, I was thinking about picking up some cheap shovel-type heads and reshafting with a very soft graphite or ultra-light steel shaft to see if they would work better for him. However, I'm worried that a standard mens heads and lightweight shafts will still be too heavy for him.

What would you suggest as a good combo to get him started - a big cavity-back with A-flex or ladies graphites maybe?

becaben
29th November 2011, 06:46 PM
Any suggestions, clubmakers?

mike
29th November 2011, 07:15 PM
However, I'm worried that a standard mens heads and lightweight shafts will still be too heavy for him.
I'm no guru but I think this will be the case.

10 years old? Just stick with the kiddie clubs I think. Until he gets serious about it, then buy him some Mizuno blades.

LarryLong
29th November 2011, 10:26 PM
What about some lightweight bladey type things on the lightweight shafts?

That said, I figure if he can hit your Callaways well already, I'd consider getting him a set like that, cut down a little, but not too much. If he chokes right down to the bottom of the grip that will probably be helpful because his hands will fit the thin bit of the grip better, and you'll have room to grow.

Might also depend on how big your boy is - I've seen a few ten year olds lately that could take me in a wrestle.

3oneday
29th November 2011, 10:33 PM
My son is using ladies clubs seemingly fine. I bought him a Nike Junior driver which is actually 44" and he hit that quite well too. Sorry, he's 10 too and hits a driver about 120 with run.

becaben
30th November 2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks 3OD and LL. Some good suggestions there.

LL - he's solid without being overly big and average height. And I'm still King of the Squared Circle in the house for the moment ...

3 - do your son's clubs have a specific ladies head in them or just a ladies shaft?

timah!
30th November 2011, 05:40 PM
My son is using ladies clubs seemingly fine. I bought him a Nike Junior driver which is actually 44" and he hit that quite well too. Sorry, he's 10 too and hits a driver about 120 with run.

When I was playing as a junior, I used a half set of ladies clubs for a long time.
3w, 4,6,8,PW and a putter.
Might be the go for a lightweight flexible set of sticks.