PDA

View Full Version : Who was Gavin Simms?

simmsy
16th November 2011, 05:52 PM
Firstly MegaMod if this needs moving to somewhere else, do so at your own discretion.

Gavin Paul Simms -

Well as you all know by now Hocko & JC went above and beyond what is necessary at Ozgolf and went about honouring a guy that they didn’t even know and certainly did not have to do what they did. Thank you so very much!

A few of the guys are curious as to who was Gavin Simms and I think they are due a bit of an insight into the guy that we now have a trophy in honour of.

It is quiet appropriate that Hocko has gone about this as I was saying to Hocko on Friday at Sanctuary (prior to knowing what he & JC had done) that I enjoy anytime I can have a round with Hocko as it is great fun, Hocko plays the game just like Gav use to, with lots of passion and sometimes reckless abandon. “Layups are for pooftas”.
Always happy for a punt and a smoke, Gav would always try and dbl up on a skin and always offer dbl or nothing coming up the last.
We had a great competitive rivalry on the golf course and all through our lives growing up. Gav was your typical great suburban sportsman and everyone through our junior lives knew Gavin Simms. When going through Gav’s stuff we found all of his old trophies, well over 100 in total. With his football trophies there was a common thread with them, many trophies were “most courageous”, “best endeavour” and many R/up F&B.

Cricket was his love in summer and Kim Hughes his hero. Gav saw a lot of himself in Kim Hughes, as KH had been at times harshly dealt with Gav was always at odds with officials at the Footy & Cricket Club – Willetton Blues - for his hardness at the ball and hardness in the bar after the game. Gav wasn’t much of a bat but damn he could bowl fast with a great Yorker and Swing. His bowling avg was always under 20.

Gav’s biggest love in sport was the punt and Melbourne Spring Carnival was his Mecca.
Each year there would be Gav and 3 or 4 mates head over for the week (I managed to be there with Gav the year Media Puzzle won, saw it from the Grand Stand, one of the best days of my life) anyway, I digress – Gav was someone that would have a beer with anyone, he loved Young & Jacksons and would always have a beer with “Chloe”. He would talk to the Lawyer standing at the bar or the homeless man on the corner having a smoke, it didn’t matter to Gav.
Two years ago at Derby Day on the train ride back to Y&J he started up his traditional game of Two Up on the train, he would gather all the punters and get a quick game going before they reached their stop (about 12mins I think) Gav was going well and had this one guy up for $200 when Gav went one more time with him, Gav lost. Pissed off with himself that he lost he went and had another solid night through Melbourne, come Melbourne Cup Day he went to his usual bar and ran into the guy that took Gav’s money on the train on the Saturday, the bloke bought Gav his beers for the rest of the day. Everyone was happy to have a beer and chat with Gav.

Gav left us on August 3 this year, he was fighting a fight none of us knew about and that was eating at him from the inside. Gav had lost sight of the fact he was so dearly loved by his Mum & Dad – he had a great relationship with them and Dad was his lifelong hero, his relationship with myself and my older sister was great and we all loved Gav dearly and miss him greatly.
Gav also left his daughter behind who was the reason he worked away on the Mines to make sure she had good schooling and all the things our little girls deserve to have. Gav treasured her.

This is the demon of the “Black Dog” it doesn’t let you see all the good things you have in your life, it only makes you see the hole you are in. Gav didn’t tell anyone of his problems, perhaps he didn’t fully understand the danger he was in until it was too late, he possibly wouldn’t have told anyone even if he knew as he was a bloke’s, bloke.

So wrapping this up, I hope I have given you a small insight into my big brother, he was always my hero and always stuck up for me, I hope I have done him justice in trying to relay the type of guy he was to all of you.

In closing, look out for yourself and those close to you, Depression and ultimately Suicide is a hell of a curse, the people suffering it don’t always know it’s inside them. When you get a chance ask your best mate, brother, golfing buddy if they are ok, and when they say “yeah mate fine no dramas” ask them again to make sure they know that you are really asking them and are really wanting to know.

Thanks for reading.

Simmsy..

Beyond Blue - http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?
LifeLine - http://www.lifeline.org.au/find-help/online-services/crisis-chat?gclid=CIOtk5vGuqwC***kpAodTR90pQ
Black Dog - http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

Jarro
16th November 2011, 05:58 PM
It's fine here mate.

We can move it later if you decide you want to though ??

timah!
16th November 2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Simmsy.
:)

Shadesy
16th November 2011, 06:22 PM
I didn't even Know mate...I've pieced it together over the weekend but I appreciate you giving us an insight into him. I am sorry for your loss, and if he was half as decent bloke as you, then I am certain he was a ripper bloke!

Jarro
16th November 2011, 06:26 PM
Nice writeup simmsy .... your brother sounds like the sort of bloke i would've loved to have had a beer and a chat with.

I'm very sorry for you and your families loss.

simmsy
16th November 2011, 06:38 PM
thanks guys, no need for sorry. i don't want this thread to become the "poor simmsy" thread, ok.

i felt after what Hocko & JC have done, the rest of the WAnkers deserved to know a little more about it.
When the shit went down with Gav, i told one person about it on this site and asked him just to let a few of the guys know, i didn't need the time to reading this site to say thanks and no worries at that time, it was spent with my family and my children and Gav's daughter.

i want the guys to know that Gav was a great knock about bloke, he's a bit of a Tommy type, though not as much of a bandit. it's important that people read the message in it, we all know someone that is battling with depression, we may not know it but we do know someone. Talk about it, the hurt suicide leaves is far greater than i could of ever imagined. it's bad enough losing my brother at 42 but to suicide just knocks your socks off.

chappy1970
16th November 2011, 07:59 PM
Great post Simmsy, sounds like he was a ripper bloke and brother

Johnny Canuck
16th November 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the read Simmsy.

I'm glad I was able to meet his briefly that fateful date at Mandurah where an unknown American got reported by a group of ladies for swearing too loud after a series of snap hooks.

How old is his daughter?

shazza_rs
16th November 2011, 08:03 PM
Awesome run down on a bloke that sounds like a good laugh. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm also very proud of the WA boys (JC and hocko) for making the trophy in his honour. Makes it that little more special.

simmsy
16th November 2011, 08:13 PM
She just turned 9.

Grunt
16th November 2011, 08:14 PM
Simmsy, I hopefully will never have to suffer your loss but I am close my wife is suffering from depression. She is booked into black dog in a few weeks after being referred from her therapist. I admit I am not coping with it all, but having her seeing someone has reduced the worries of what is happening at home when I am not home to support her.

TR66
16th November 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for sharing Simmsy, a top bloke no doubt, you are doing him proud.

I see my older brother in him in so may ways, fortunatley he seems to have bounced back with a bt of help.

just
16th November 2011, 08:26 PM
Good luck with it Grunter, and good health to your wife. Simmsy, thanks for the run down on a top bloke, I would have love to have met Gav.

Eag's
16th November 2011, 08:30 PM
I am very sorry for your loss simmsy, the way you describe your brother, anyone would be proud to have a brother like that in their lives.

AndyP
16th November 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for sharing, Simmsy.

hocko
16th November 2011, 08:55 PM
F**K Brad, i'm doin' it again.
I am glad that you and i were able to have a chat about this earlier, as many have said, if he had an ounce of you mate then he would be a champ.
You had better start practicing now for the cup mate, it means more to you than we could possibly understand.
However, you will be fighting for it whilst wearing the "pink belt".

jaybam
16th November 2011, 09:05 PM
Very good post simmsy. Beyond blue are an amazing organisation who i owe my life too. Not only that but a gp that i have been going to for most of my life that picked up on the signs. The biggest problem is the aussies male ego in excepting the fact something is wrong or the thought of being weak because we suffer from depression makes us less of a man. You are spot on with the reaching out before it is.too late. I am sorry your brother didn't get the help he so obviously needed but was to proud or stubborn to ask for. God bless his lovley daughter and your respective families.

simmsy
16th November 2011, 09:06 PM
Packed away my stuff today. Just looked at that pink belt and thought I will never look as good as Golfnut in this thing.

rubin
16th November 2011, 09:07 PM
Packed away my stuff today. Just looked at that thing and thought I will never look as good as Golfnut in this thing.

Golfnut did do it justice. ;)

Thanks the insight simmsy.

tommyg
16th November 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for that simmsy... your bro sounds like my kind of guy. What a tragedy. Next time a play a round with you (hopefully soon) i"ll bring the cup and we can have a beer from it...

TourFit
16th November 2011, 11:19 PM
I was in the group at Mandurah with Simmsy and Gav during Champs that year...he came along, not knowing anyone and just fitted right in. There were two things I did notice, and that was that Simmsy and he were a) close and b) alike. From memory (and correct me if I'm wrong, Simmsy) Gav scored big on the front 9, something like 20pts or so...and then had a shocker on the back. Maybe it was 1 or 2 pts. Is it a hereditary thing, this ability to do that? The thing is you just couldn't tell that Gav had tanked big time, he was also copping a bit from his bro' too, if I remember correctly.

One thing about Simmsy's OP is that it struck me that there are many traits he mentioned about Gav, that I think us WAnkers see in him!!!

Cosmopolite
17th November 2011, 12:16 AM
thanks for the insight Simmsy, I know it wouldnt have been easy for you to do it. He sounded like a great guy and would have fitted in well with our motley crue of WAnkers!

MegaWatty
17th November 2011, 01:04 AM
Shit mate. Obviously I had a brief insight into what happened, but you've still left me with a ginormous lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

Good work and as I've said before, if there is ever anything I can do to help (as cliche as it sounds), you know where I am.

See you tomorrow.

simmsy
17th November 2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks everyone. Just came back fom dinner with his two best mates. Good to catch up and see how there doing a few months on.

Marto65
17th November 2011, 06:22 AM
Great post Simmsy, thanks for sharing. There are a couple in my family who suffer this as well.

Zeusgolf
17th November 2011, 11:11 AM
OMS I'm truly sorry for your loss, I remember meeting him at the champs....great guy and fit in with the group dynamic very well.

In my job I see suicide often but I'm always too caught up in what has to be done in regards to the scene, investigation and notification. I never have given much thought how it effects the family left behind in the long term. you have given me a reality check as I have not ever suffered a losses like this in my personal life....

Chin up..keep the memories and.......spread the word....

Btw I have been suffering depression for the last 12 months and more now after my accident....it comes and goes....this why I stop being social last year.

My advice seek medical advice....you can control it initially with meds which is a relief for those like me who don't like the touchy feely side of talking about it but.......in the long run you are going to need to discuss it because meds are not the long term solution.....

BrisWesty
17th November 2011, 01:18 PM
Simmsy,

That sucks. Thank you for sharing about your brother. In many ways this is more a guy thing than a girl thing as a lot of women have that social network they can gasbag and gossip to, whereas for guys we don't tend to share what's eating at us.

Iain
17th November 2011, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a top bloke Simmsy.

ddasey
17th November 2011, 08:34 PM
Fantastic tribute to your brother Simmsy.

He sounds like a great bloke.

Veefore
19th November 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for sharing such a great tribute, he sounds like a hell of a bloke.

I'm sure you don't want sympathy but my heart goes out to you Simmsy. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose someone that close to you.

Nuffie
4th May 2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Simmsy for sharing the story about your brother. What a top bloke he would have been to meet and get to know. Sounds like you both had many great dules in the backyard and on the sporting field.

There are lots of pressures and things that eat away at lots of people, and those people think it's wrong to share what seems so personal - and they keep to themselves. How important is it to do exactly what you said - to check in on your closest mate and ask him how he/she is. Sometimes this is a very important thing to ask someone. Even I have had my demons to deal with, and others can help you deal with them to great effect.

For related reasons, I'm jumping on a plane next wed evening to fly back home to the east coast and see my folks and family as it's time I check in on them. I haven't seen my brother for almost two years and this is not ideal, so I'm going to do something about that. Family and friends are what matter to us most, SO much more than a house, or a golf stick or that car you've always wanted. Our families are irreplacable, but its our friends that can become part of the families we choose for ourselves :)

Golfnut
4th May 2012, 05:57 PM
Packed away my stuff today. Just looked at that pink belt and thought I will never look as good as Golfnut in this thing.

Damn straight!!! :D

Pink on Black is so hawt!

simmsy
19th October 2012, 03:41 PM
just found this thread again at the bottom of the champs threads, just finished reading it again. thanks to everyone for the past 14 months or so with your support and kind words.
it all brings things into perspective, and has me all fired up for a great weekend next week.

thanks again boys & girls.

Ashes
19th October 2012, 04:08 PM
Simmsy, hats off to you for sharing and for you and your familys efforts in fundraising for Lifeline. I know from first-hand experience that its all too easy to get caught in a downward spiral and lose track of whats important.

I stumbled across your post a while a go and it was a timely reminder for me as to what is truly important in life. I'm sure its done the same for others.

Hope you have a ripping time next weekend mate.

simmsy
19th October 2012, 05:01 PM
Thx mate. It's not in my nature to bother ppl with these sorts of things but last year with what the boys did I felt I had to give a bit of insight as to what happened as some guys on the wend weren't aware of what had happened a cpl months prior.

Hope things are travelling well for u now.

Tell Cookie to put a few beers on for us, he can afford it. ;)

TourFit
19th October 2012, 05:24 PM
I am sure that the weekend will go well.

I think it'd be fair to say that we WAnkers also share in what the 'new' Champs mean, and in many ways it is now MORE than just Champs. While it has always been a fun based thing about mates, and lo & behold sh*tstirring mates, to me it has given Champs more of a serious meaning (rather than just a piss up) and a focus of what really is important!

I hope things are better for you now too, simmsy! It has been no doubt a difficult time, and I'm sure some emotion will surface again when the trophy is handed out.

But I hope that it is easier for you to close your eyes, imagine, smile, and think what Gav would've said if you won the NAGA again!!!

(Remember with a smile, that's all we can ever do. That is part of what this Champs means now.)

Shadesy
19th October 2012, 05:29 PM
I am Praying Tommy, remembers the Cup.

simmsy
19th October 2012, 06:01 PM
Remember it!
It's his whiskey glass for the trip down. He won't forget it.

Has he scribed his name in it??

TourFit
19th October 2012, 06:03 PM
Is the Maxibon shirt up to date?

Golfnut
19th October 2012, 06:50 PM
More importantly; is the pink belt ready for the weekend?

simmsy
19th October 2012, 07:33 PM
It is fit. Got it back last week with all the names after yours included on it.

I think the pink belt got stolen in a home invasion earlier this year.

hocko
19th October 2012, 07:39 PM

You're not getting away with that mate!

Golfnut
19th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Shall I arrange another ;)

MegaWatty
19th October 2012, 08:23 PM
I have Purple, Blue, White, Brown, Black and Lime Green silicone belts if need be.

Grunt
19th October 2012, 10:08 PM
Simmsy have a great weekend mate, a true champion of OzGolf, I will get over there one day for a hit with you guys for sure.

Shadesy
19th October 2012, 10:35 PM
I have Purple, Blue, White, Brown, Black and Lime Green silicone belts if need be.

Yellow?

Johnny Canuck
19th October 2012, 10:37 PM
Who was Gavin Simms?

Someone that Nuffie named 84 golf related events after.

MegaWatty
19th October 2012, 11:05 PM
Hahaha.

In all seriousness, Gav's death has seen Brad and his family begin something amazing in trying to help other people with the same condition that Gav suffered from.

I never met him but I feel through Simmsy that I know him so well. If he was only half the man that Simmsy is then I know how great a guy he was.

Bradley, I know it never gets easier but seeing your strength, courage and willingness to learn from the passing of your brother has been a true inspiration.

TR66
21st October 2012, 11:24 PM
Simmsy, I have shown my wife and a couple of my mates who have been a bit down and not a dry eye has been the outcome after reading I guess of your tribute of Gavin. Growing up in Perth with a brother like yours playing district,footy and cricket it seems so similarAnyway have a hoot fellow wankers and hopefully I can get out there and join you for a round one day.

simmsy
22nd October 2012, 08:57 AM
Cheers for that TR. It was great fun growing up with Gav. Best big brother you could wish for. Stood up for his little brother at every turn.

TR66
22nd October 2012, 11:30 AM
I know exactly what you mean Simmsy. Stay strong mate.

TourFit
22nd October 2012, 12:08 PM

Excellent work, sir! It will be interesting to see how the old thing is holding up. Hope it fits Ashes at the end.

Really, same thing happened to my duck vest! Coincidence, I think not. I believe there is a jealous OzGolfer out there somewhere wanting more prizes!

TourFit
22nd October 2012, 12:10 PM

:roll:

Ghey.

idgolfguy
22nd October 2012, 12:11 PM
That duck vest was great. Should have kept it for my son. He loved it.

MegaWatty
22nd October 2012, 03:04 PM
:roll:Ghey. I haven't cut some of them yet so you're still a chance of having some fit, Fit.

TourFit
22nd October 2012, 11:38 PM
I try to draw attention AWAY from my waistline.

(Probably doesn't work though, but there is no point advertising it!)

Ashes
22nd October 2012, 11:42 PM
Hope it fits Ashes at the end.

I take it it's something the NAGA wears.. What is it?

LeftyHoges
23rd October 2012, 01:37 AM

Lime green, eh? May I ask what brand and where purchased from?

TourFit
23rd October 2012, 01:39 AM
I take it it's something the NAGA wears.. What is it?

Shirt.

Maxibon...for biters, not lickers!

simmsy
23rd October 2012, 01:47 AM
Pink belt

And I'm trying to source a pink cap to add to the wardrobe.

TourFit
23rd October 2012, 11:20 AM
Oh...is the pink belt now paired with the Maxibon shirt for NAGA?

NOICE.;)

Ashes
23rd October 2012, 11:57 AM
So is the NAGA outfit just presented and worn after we finish on Sunday, or does the overnight leader have to wear it for Sundays round?

I'd be really dissappointed if I dont get to wear my best Sunday threads... :(

Courty
23rd October 2012, 12:02 PM
Lime green, eh? May I ask what brand and where purchased from?

I'm guessing they'd be Switch (http://www.switchbelt.com/) belts.

TourFit
23rd October 2012, 02:33 PM
So is the NAGA outfit just presented and worn after we finish on Sunday, or does the overnight leader have to wear it for Sundays round?

I'd be really dissappointed if I dont get to wear my best Sunday threads... :(

Your worst fear is realised...

Saturday it is worn by last years' NAGA.

It is then handed over to the lowest NETT scorer on Saturday night, who then has to wear it on Sunday (unwashed, too I might add!). It is then handed to the overall NAGA on Sunday, who has to wear it for the rest of the time together.

They are then responsible with getting their OzGolf name embroidered on the back in time for the next year.

You can still wear your Sunday best...but only if you're not last after Saturday!

Golfnut
23rd October 2012, 03:27 PM
The "unwashed" bit is just wrong.

TourFit
23rd October 2012, 03:33 PM
It pays not to be last...

(just secretly / conveniently forget to take it off before going into the shower in the morning)

simmsy
23rd October 2012, 03:44 PM
Won't it still be wet.

Ashes
23rd October 2012, 03:46 PM
Not for very long in 33*C heat... I don't like the sound of any of this at all.

simmsy
23rd October 2012, 08:53 PM
It's simple really. Play better than 1 person.

hocko
23rd October 2012, 09:06 PM
Your worst fear is realised...

Saturday it is worn by last years' NAGA.

It is then handed over to the lowest NETT scorer on Saturday night, who then has to wear it on Sunday (unwashed, too I might add!). It is then handed to the overall NAGA on Sunday, who has to wear it for the rest of the time together.

They are then responsible with getting their OzGolf name embroidered on the back in time for the next year.

You can still wear your Sunday best...but only if you're not last after Saturday!
Um....highest.
The lowest normally wins.

rubin
23rd October 2012, 09:11 PM
It's simple really. Play better than 1 person.

Thats actually harder than u think.

hocko
23rd October 2012, 09:18 PM
Yep, ask simmsy!

Dotty
23rd October 2012, 09:20 PM
Did you see the first round scores of the OzGolf champs?

The two of the bottom four are attending the WA champs.

dc68
23rd October 2012, 09:30 PM
Move along.... Nothing to see here.

simmsy
23rd October 2012, 10:21 PM
Yep, ask simmsy!

Biting my tongue

Biting my tongue

hocko
23rd October 2012, 10:23 PM
Biting my tongue

Biting my tongue
Laughing
Laughing
;)

Johnny Canuck
23rd October 2012, 10:38 PM
Me too (x2)

Golfnut
23rd October 2012, 10:56 PM
It's simple really. Play better than 1 person. LOL.... You know as well as I do that can be difficult.

simmsy
24th October 2012, 01:45 AM
Don't I just

MegaWatty
18th October 2013, 09:41 AM
I thought it timely to bring this to the top for those of you that are attending WA Champs this weekend and others who aren't sure about the naming of the weekend.

Simmsy, you are a truly wonderful man and just remember you have a lot of mates around you to support you whenever you need.

mrbluu
18th October 2013, 09:53 AM
I thought it timely to bring this to the top for those of you that are attending WA Champs this weekend and others who aren't sure about the naming of the weekend.

Simmsy, you are a truly wonderful man and just remember you have a lot of mates around you to support you whenever you need.

Thanks MW, I've never knew about this and it's a great thing you all are doing to for this great cause and honouring a top bloke as well!!!

Hopefully I will get a chance to come over and play in the WA Champs in the near future!!

hocko
18th October 2013, 10:06 AM

+1
And thanks to all guys and gals who have donated to the cause of an, unfortunately, unnoticed illness.

AndyP
18th October 2013, 10:43 AM
OZgolf is still happy to accept donations on behalf of the WA guys and pass it on.
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/36989-GSM-Champs-Beyond-Blue-Donations

simmsy
23rd October 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks very much for the bump watty. Thx to everyone for their words and efforts. A lot of amazing people in what can sometimes be a pretty shit place.

Thank you from all the Simms Family.