PDA

View Full Version : Joining a private golf club.

aym
14th November 2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all, have a couple of quick questions about joining a private club, I am in Melbourne, and I’m looking to join one of the A- or A grade Sand belt course that is close to me, the ones that are close to me are your Yarra Yarra, Commonwealth, Huntingdale etc etc, was just wondering if it is possible to join those clubs without knowing any members? does it make a difference that I am 26?

Also how would you guys rate The Riversdale the course? Also Are they financially ok? Cause I remember couple years ago they would have let anyone in without knowing a couple of members, but now they seems to be less strict, which is great for me :)

Thanks in advance.

sms316
14th November 2011, 12:00 PM
Send Dennis a PM. He has great influence at one of the Sandbelt's premier clubs.

aym
14th November 2011, 01:35 PM
Ah thanks, but be a bit wired getting Dennis to intro someone who he doesn't know at all, what about The Riversdale, on par with Kew/GA? any opinion on it? All I heard was that it's very hilly, length seems reasonable at 6000~meters.

Goldy
14th November 2011, 01:38 PM
Riversdale is not a bad course aym, and at 26, I'm sure you'll cope with it. But it is pretty hilly, and the couple of times I've played it, I've usually walked off feeling a bit knackered.

Probably a lot easier to get into than some of the others on your list, also.

timinsa
14th November 2011, 02:35 PM
Does Keysie count?

aym
14th November 2011, 03:48 PM
Does Keysie count?

keysborough? I know for sure I can join that one, know a member there, but it's a bit far :) about 35 min drive from me, compare to 20min for Yarra Yarra/commonwealth.

just
14th November 2011, 04:25 PM
Have you asked the clubs? I'm pretty sure some of them will have (especially for a youngster like you) introductory events or memberships types where you can play with and/or meet current members. This way you get to meet members and build up a rapport so they support your bid and they get to check out whether you are a complete dickhead and therefore not worthy. It may be worth your while to pick up the blower and have a word in their pink and shell like.

aym
14th November 2011, 05:05 PM
actually no, but I probably should, I don't like getting rejected ;)

rodders
14th November 2011, 06:45 PM
I recently got into one but I knew some blokes there to support my application. The clubs usually do go out of their way to ensure you're not a complete dick as Just said, partial is fine.

The clubs will interview your referee's before inviting you for an interview and this is usually with the President and Captain. After that they refer to the committee to see if any objections from other members received.

Having said all that, I'm old at 41 and you're young at 26 - most clubs have and aging membership and need more young'ens. I'm certain the direct approach will serve you well. Ask if you can come a speak in person to the general manager - shows you have balls and mean you want to join.

aym
14th November 2011, 09:35 PM
lol 41 is not that old ... but yes good point, I should approach them, I've called Riversdale, they've sent me some forms, but I am requesting a round to hopefully check out the course and see if I can actually walk the full 6000meters, I hope it's not like Eastern, few of their holes are pretty insane in terms of elevation. I had a look at Commonwealth, the website seems to be quite inviting, giving all the prices etc, am I right in assuming they are one of the better sand belt course?

rodders
14th November 2011, 10:04 PM
I played riversdale a few weeks ago with a mate who is a member there. Had another bloke with us who also played AFL like my mate. They're fit, I'm not.

Crappy course and bucket load of hills. Also unplayable when wet because it holds water on fairways. Nice club house if that floats your boat.

Any sandbelt course is much better option.

aym
15th November 2011, 09:12 AM
Thats no good cause Riversdale is less than 10 min from me.

goughy
15th November 2011, 11:07 AM
i miss the toowoomba way. go in, fill out your forms, they give you a provisional membership so you can play straight away. then at the next committee meeting a couple of committee members add their names to your form as nominees and your all done. meanwhile you've been playing for a few weeks already.

Moe Norman
15th November 2011, 11:13 AM
supply and demand goughy

aym
15th November 2011, 11:16 AM
supply and demand goughy

I think this is why quite a few sand belt course's are struggling for cash at the moment, maybe over done their exclusiveness ;)

Webster
15th November 2011, 11:26 AM
Which ones are struggling, aym ?

aym
15th November 2011, 11:37 AM
Maybe not struggling, but probably not making a great amount of profit.

But the ones that has relaxed it's membership requirements I am guessing? or Maybe the older members just stop playing ;)

But courses such as southern and spring valley are all very actively recruiting, where as few years back it probably wont even look at an average Joe?

St Andrews is not doing too well either I think, it was brought years back by a guy who didn't like the fact he couldn't get a tee spot when he wanted at the heritage.

chappy1970
15th November 2011, 11:53 AM
Aym, I'm currently at Southern, but that will likely change when subs are due in June next year. I can't justify the price with my playing schedule.

I figure, I stop paying the non-playing fees, for a few years and the $ I save I will use to join another course when I am able to start playing a little more.

People have their opinion of Southern and quite frankly the collective views certainly hasn't swayed my decision to be a member their for the past 15 years. Sure there are peanuts there, but hey there are peanuts at every course, Even the really exclusive ones. I got to play with my dad every other week and that was important to me and I just avoided playing with the c0ckheads.

My only advice to you is don't let an extra 15 mins drive to the course put you off joining a club a little further away. You may live closer to Riversdale, but you will sacrifice the golfing experience at the expensive of a couple of extra minutes in the car.

aym
15th November 2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah agreed, I played southern about 2 weeks ago using a scoopon voucher, loved it, the members was very friendly too, the two boys at the pro shop was a refreshingly polite compare to some of the other pro shop staff I've meet..

Yossarian
15th November 2011, 08:46 PM
St Andrews isn't on the sandbelt is it?

aym
15th November 2011, 10:01 PM
No but it's one of those highly ranked courses. but beside the point, think i might stick with eagle ridge or something.

kitsoasis
26th November 2011, 08:42 PM
Have you considered Woodlands?

Dennis
14th December 2011, 09:47 PM
Aym

Send me a PM

We have an intro day this Friday at Southern with the Directors and Club Management and Pro playing with our Summer Intro Members at 330pm with a BBQ to follow

If you are keen, I would happily host you. You can then decide to join for a 3 month intro for $299 and try before you buy...or not!

Cheers

Dennis

Yossarian
14th December 2011, 10:03 PM
Aym, check the finances of Southern first, then commit to join.

Dennis
15th December 2011, 12:29 PM
Aym, check the finances of Southern first, then commit to join.

In your informed opinion Yoss, what issues are there with the Southern finances?

Also, in your informed and insider view, how do Southern's finances compare to other clubs in the area that they may be competing with?

Finally, in your informed view, does raising capital works funds via a levy equal poor and / or unsustainable operational performance?

Just asking?

Tongueboy
15th December 2011, 03:13 PM
Yoss is just being a ****wit. he is very good at it also.

rubin
15th December 2011, 03:38 PM
Yoss is just being a ****wit. he is very good at it also.

Not Really. He's got a point. One of aym's concerns is the financial situation of the club he may ptoentially join, therefore Yoss's comment is perfectly valid and something worth considering. I didn't read it as a slight on any one club.

meh
15th December 2011, 03:55 PM
Not Really. He's got a point. One of aym's concerns is the financial situation of the club he may ptoentially join, therefore Yoss's comment is perfectly valid and something worth considering. I didn't read it as a slight on any one club.

I thought yoss was stirring as usual but it is a good point. If you are going to drop a reasonable amount of coin as a nomination fee you absolutely should be aware of the financial position of the club.

3oneday
15th December 2011, 04:10 PM
I'd hate a levy. Just saying ;)

Dennis
15th December 2011, 04:32 PM
Me too

Lucky Southern have no plans for levy's in the foreseeable future :)

Yossarian
15th December 2011, 05:01 PM
In your informed opinion Yoss, what issues are there with the Southern finances?

Also, in your informed and insider view, how do Southern's finances compare to other clubs in the area that they may be competing with?

Finally, in your informed view, does raising capital works funds via a levy equal poor and / or unsustainable operational performance?

Just asking?

No idea I was just being a ****wit.

I don't use a separate alias to sledge other clubs though.

rodders
15th December 2011, 07:06 PM
Is this the Keysborough thing?

Dennis
15th December 2011, 07:55 PM
No idea I was just being a ****wit.

I don't use a separate alias to sledge other clubs though.

The myth is stronger than the truth Yoss

But hey, why wreck a good conspiracy?

Yossarian
16th December 2011, 03:00 PM
Deny deny deny, you should go into politics Dennis.

Bruce Dickinson
16th December 2011, 03:08 PM
Deny deny deny, you should go into politics Dennis.
he could be the Peter Pan of politics

Yossarian
16th December 2011, 03:11 PM
Could this be his Wendy?

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4944/r2930641255953.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/r2930641255953.jpg/)

sms316
16th December 2011, 08:49 PM
Yoss - I have the Southern GC annual report and will be happy to forward it via email to you or anybody else who wants it. Just request it by PM.

Dennis
16th December 2011, 08:51 PM
You are a champ sms316

5 stars

sms316
16th December 2011, 08:53 PM
You are a champ sms316

5 stars
You're welcome buddy.

Webster
16th December 2011, 09:17 PM
It does make for interesting reading.

Yossarian
16th December 2011, 09:19 PM
Yoss - I have the Southern GC annual report and will be happy to forward it via email to you or anybody else who wants it. Just request it by PM.

Cheers, are the relevant sections highlighted?

Dennis
17th December 2011, 11:37 AM
It does make for interesting reading.

What parts Jack

The fireworks policy?

sms316
17th December 2011, 02:34 PM
Cheers, are the relevant sections highlighted?
Written in red crayon instead of blue.

aym
19th December 2011, 10:09 PM
All valid points guys, I think southern is definitely one I would look at, but last time I played there, there was one group of old dudes that seriously spend 10 min deciding where to drop the ball... but I think every club has a few people like that...

Dennis just PM'ed as well.

aym
19th December 2011, 10:18 PM
Btw saw this incase anyone is looking to join keysborough golf club.

http://www.keysboroughgolf.com.au/upload/wysiwyg/frontnews1/Cleveland%20Promo.pdf