PDA

View Full Version : Driving - Best route from Canberra to Brisbane?

kingslayer33
13th November 2011, 02:07 PM
Family and I will be driving from Canberra to Brisbane on Jan 1.

Just wanted to know whether anybody preferred one route over the others and why?

Planning on taking two days and a suggestion on the best place to stop overnight wouldn't go astray either.

oscar
13th November 2011, 03:11 PM
We did the reverse trip two years back, stopped overnight at Eagles Nest, just north of Port Macquarie, then through to Canberra the next day.

Highway 1 from Sydney to Bris isn't too bad now days, bypasses most towns. Better drive than the New England.

Ferrins
13th November 2011, 03:15 PM
Follow a truck delivering stick flicks.

AlexMc
13th November 2011, 04:00 PM
I would have thought the quickest way would be up to Dubbo, across through Coonabarabran to Goondiwindi and Toowoomba. Don't have to go through Sydney, 110 zone most of the way. I've done Dubbo to Brisbane that way a few times - pretty easy drive.

WBennett
13th November 2011, 05:17 PM
Avoid Sydney and the coast that time of the year - too much traffic from Newcastle to the border... Go inland where the trip will be more relaxed, and I agree with AlexMc - Canberra - Yass - Cowra - Dubbo - Coonabarabran - Moree - Goondawindi - Warwick or Toowoomba - Brisbane.

As for an overnight, depends if you want to break it up/go to the zoo at Dubbo and leave a long second day.

BrisWesty
13th November 2011, 05:34 PM
Apparently much of the Newell has been down graded from 110km/h to 100km/h.

WBennett
13th November 2011, 06:21 PM
I was on a fair bit of it earlier this week - around Temora and Narrandera its back up to 110.

razaar
13th November 2011, 06:41 PM
I would have thought the quickest way would be up to Dubbo, across through Coonabarabran to Goondiwindi and Toowoomba. Don't have to go through Sydney, 110 zone most of the way. I've done Dubbo to Brisbane that way a few times - pretty easy drive.
+1. Have done this trip quite a few times. Usually stop over at Goondi and Dubbo.

kingslayer33
13th November 2011, 07:00 PM
Cheers for advice. (except you ferret) Dubbo could work even if we extend trip by a day so the 3 1/2 year old can enjoy the zoo.

May squeeze a hit in at Federal while in the 'berra. When details become a little firmer I'll see if any locals are going to be around.

WBennett
14th November 2011, 07:14 AM
Slayer

I'll be around between Christmas and NY - heading to the coast after that. Federal generally have open pro comps that week so its a great time to get on and enjoy the best track in Canberra.

bluescooter
14th November 2011, 07:22 AM
I have been doing the Canberra/Brisbane trip for 22 years and the best way is Dubbo/Goondi/Toowoomba. Don't go Warwick way anymore as the last time I did that the road was shite.

Better enjoy Federal whle you can, a doomsday article in the paper yesterday said that are massively in debt, have discounted membership but have still lost members and if they are not allowed to develop the unused land they have they may close down.

sms316
14th November 2011, 10:15 AM
What diffference does it really make if you save an hour on a 15 hour drive over 2 days? Decide where you want to stop and let that dictate your route.

Daves
14th November 2011, 07:14 PM
Cheers for advice. (except you ferret) Dubbo could work even if we extend trip by a day so the 3 1/2 year old can enjoy the zoo.

May squeeze a hit in at Federal while in the 'berra. When details become a little firmer I'll see if any locals are going to be around.

The zoo is worth the effort if you haven't been before.

I have been doing the Canberra/Brisbane trip for 22 years and the best way is Dubbo/Goondi/Toowoomba. Don't go Warwick way anymore as the last time I did that the road was shite.

Better enjoy Federal whle you can, a doomsday article in the paper yesterday said that are massively in debt, have discounted membership but have still lost members and if they are not allowed to develop the unused land they have they may close down.

Cunningham Gap is a big mess after the rains/floods earlier this year. Major sections of steep cuttings collapsed or became unstable and it will take a long time to fix. Expect delays if you go that way. We went via Goondi - Toowoomba in July and it was much better road and quicker as well.

TR66
14th November 2011, 07:25 PM
Softies, done Adelaide to Gosford in a stint then Newcastle back to Mildura in a stint, ah the life of a part timetravelling speedway mechanic.

Actually while we are at it best way from Sydey to Tamworth, got a f#*king wedding to go to, in my busiest time of the year too!

AlexMc
15th November 2011, 06:21 AM
Sydney to Tamworth - has to be the New England. No real viable shortcuts.

Kingslayer - if you want to send the wife and kid out to the zoo and have a game of golf instead let me know!

kingslayer33
15th November 2011, 06:28 AM
Cheers for the offer AlexMc. Pretty sure it will not go down well this trip though. The 2 kids will both want different stuff to look at so it will be a major operation.

There isn't a return trip organised but if it ever happens I'll look you up.

Hooker
15th November 2011, 01:10 PM
Softies, done Adelaide to Gosford in a stint then Newcastle back to Mildura in a stint, ah the life of a part timetravelling speedway mechanic.

Actually while we are at it best way from Sydey to Tamworth, got a f#*king wedding to go to, in my busiest time of the year too!

Sydney to Tamworth , Take the Cessnock turnoff on the F3 , much quicker than going through Maitland.