PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne: Four Seasons and Two Golf Courses in One Day

AndyP
3rd August 2005, 10:47 AM
I'm heading off to Victoria next week, and will be in Melbourne for a few days during my trip.
I'm hoping that I will be allowed to have a full day of golf at some stage, so to make the most of it, I would want to get two rounds in.

Mornington Peninsula is probably the best, and I would prefer to play courses that I haven't played before.  I've played Dunes, National Old and Ocean.  Any suggestions?

BrisVegas
3rd August 2005, 11:03 AM
13th Beach & Torquay Sands

or

Moonah Links Open & Legends

AndyP
3rd August 2005, 11:14 AM
Moonah Links Open & Legends
I knew you'd mention that one, I'm on their website (http://www.moonahlinks.com.au/) right now.

August special of $60 to play either course on a weekday.
$160 all day play, including cart.
Ooooo, handheld GPS. $10

I'm guessing the Open course is a lot better than the Legends?  Moonah Open is ranked the 13th best in Oz, Legends isn't even in the top 100.

13th Beach & Torquay Sands
Did you do these two as a package or separately?

I forgot to mention that I have a preference to play courses ranked in Golf Digests top 100. ;)

BrisVegas
3rd August 2005, 11:20 AM
$160 sounds like what Paul and I payed at Moonah Links.  It was an excellent day.  We were first off the Open course at 7am.  It's brutal, but exhilerating.  Then we had a top lunch at Peppers resort (the clubhouse) and belted range balls for a while.  Then cruised around the Legends course.  The legends course isn't as tough as the Open, but was in very nice condition and had a lot more variety.  It's almost as good as Dunes, IMHO.  

I haven't played 13th Beach, but have heard good things about it.  It looked pretty flash as I drove past on the way to Torquay.  I just thought it made sense to have two course on the Bellarine Peninsular.  You could always play both the 13th Beach layouts.

Andrew
3rd August 2005, 11:25 AM
Andy,

Another option down Mornington way is Portsea. More of a traditional course & cheaper to get on, but I would rate it better than The Dunes & ML.

BrisVegas
3rd August 2005, 11:30 AM
Yep, Portsea is worth a look if you want to tick a Top 100 courses off your list. Personally, I didn't rate it. I thought The Dunes was a much better course and we played them both in the same day. It's worth playing I guess, if for no other reason than forming your own opinion. There's plenty of discussion about Portsea on ISG. Many rave about it, equally as many seem to hate it. It is cheap though and will probably be quiet.

AndyP
3rd August 2005, 11:51 AM
Portsea GC (www.portseagolf.com.au) (Number 40) will be at least $45 on a weekday. I can also get a one-man scooter for $20, if needed. ;)

I'm almost tempted to go and have another hit at the Dunes (http://www.thedunes.com.au/) (Number 23) at $30 for unlimited golf.

So many great courses, so little time.

The reason I prefer the Mornington Peninsula is because I am hoping to play a round (note the space) with FG, who lives down that way.

Although, I will probably be staying a lot closer to the Bellarine Peninsula....... :-k Maybe another day. :roll:

So is Moonah Links Open and Portsea do-able in one day?

BrisVegas
3rd August 2005, 11:54 AM
So is Moonah Links Open and Portsea do-able in one day?

Sure. Not that far apart. If you do it mid-week, the traffic won't be that bad either.

The "scooter" is a good idea at Portsea. It's pretty hilly.

Not a bad day out for $105 total.

AndyP
3rd August 2005, 12:08 PM
The legend course may not be on the top 100 list as it has not been open long.
The list is 2004, and the course opened in 2003, so you may be right there.
In fact the Golf Course Guide's Top 100 Public Access list has the Legend course (8 ) higher than the Open Course (11).
"Moonah Links Legends course makes a stunning debut, adjudged 9th best design for its fun layout that provides great variety and options for golfers of all standards. "

The best tip I can give is NOT to play Eagle ridge.
I'd gathered that from ISG. :mrgreen: (BTW it's number 50 in the Golf Course Guide)

Any thoughts on the following public access courses:
Sorrento
Cape Schanck
Barwon Heads (Bellarine Peninsula)

marcel
3rd August 2005, 04:21 PM
If you're going the Bellarine option then 13th Beach (Beach course) and Barwon Heads are the no-brainer picks, not far from each other either.

Mornington side - I'd do Portsea and Nat Moonah, bit of a drive between them though, probably 50 mins from memory.

Webster
3rd August 2005, 05:54 PM
AndyP,

I can pull some strings and get you on a half decent Sandbelt track if you are keen. Please PM with your movements.

Jack.

AndyP
3rd August 2005, 06:31 PM
AndyP,

I can pull some strings and get you on a half decent Sandbelt track if you are keen. Please PM with your movements.

Jack.
Thanks Jack. I'll let you know when I have some definite dates, but it will be on the weekdays around the weekend of 20/21 August.
Still gotta get permission from the minister too, after all, it is a "family" holiday.

Jarro
3rd August 2005, 08:31 PM

Still gotta get permission from the minister too, after all, it is a "family" holiday.

where's your balls man, just grab your golf bag and GO :wink:

goughy
3rd August 2005, 09:02 PM

One in her left hand and one in her right hand, and both ready to be squeezed at any moment :lol:

AndyP
4th August 2005, 06:20 AM

Problem is that I already ame going to at least two footy games, if not three, plus a couple of other golf rounds, leaving her with either nothing to do, or hang with my parents.

amanda
4th August 2005, 07:55 AM
hang on - can't bec leave the baby with your parents and go shoppping ;) or there seemed to be plenty of nice day spas in melbourne :D

AndyP
4th August 2005, 08:30 AM
hang on - can't bec leave the baby with your parents and go shoppping ;)  or there seemed to be plenty of nice day spas in melbourne  :D
Know any day spas in Swan Hill?

Flowergirl
4th August 2005, 11:01 AM
If you're going the Bellarine option then 13th Beach (Beach course) and Barwon Heads are the no-brainer picks, not far from each other either.

Mornington side - I'd do Portsea and Nat Moonah, bit of a drive between them though, probably 50 mins from memory.

50 mins :shock: boy - did you get lost :wink:

AndyP - all courses mentioned are pretty good - but it does depend on the weather. DO NOT PLAY EAGLE RIDGE - there you go - G69 and I agree on something.
Cape Schank is a great good - good value . Portsea, Sorrento - look - you wouldn't be unhappy playing any of them - especially cos you'll be with me. :wink:
From where you are staying it's pretty much the same travelling time to either Bellarine or Mornington Peninsula.
I'm free for a game any day except Friday 19th - John's taking me away for a "mystery weekend". :D
There are some great day spas down here for Bec :D Good luck on the recovery of you balls :twisted: :wink:

AndyP
4th August 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm free for a game any day except Friday 19th
FG, would you play both games in the day (if that's what I end up doing) or just the one?

Flowergirl
4th August 2005, 12:17 PM
Are we talking cart or walk?

AndyP
4th August 2005, 12:38 PM
It's all hypotheticals anyway, so I'll PM you when I have more details on what I am doing, and when I can play. :D

Flowergirl
4th August 2005, 01:21 PM
It's all hypotheticals anyway, so I'll PM you when I have more details on what I am doing, and when I can play. :D

Ah good - now he's saying when and not if. :wink: Look forward to hearing from you AP.
( go hawks - I may as well join in- can't have those Bears winning can we)

Bruce
4th August 2005, 03:26 PM
Does this mean I'm in for another long driving day?

Keep me in the loop.

Flowergirl
4th August 2005, 04:37 PM
No problems Bruce.just remember to bring a cut lunch and a sleeping bag this time. :)

AndyP
4th August 2005, 05:24 PM
OK, the two courses in a day thing is out the window now. Going to play the two rounds on separate days, and drop Beck and Mitchell off at her grandparents on the way.

Need to do some tweaking of my itinerary now.

JJJ
4th August 2005, 09:18 PM
Andy,

Moonah Links Open tends to be a long, hard slog without anything near a good let alone great hole. To be honest, if they didn't hold the Ausralian Open there it would rate about 7th on the Penninsula. The Legends doesn't have the Open to boost it's image but is far more fun and a much better golf course (just walk from the 14th green straight to the 16th tee). Most people want to play the Open once to say they have played it and then prefer the Legends there after.

Portsea is a very good track and worth a game - Vegas just doesn't appreciate anything without the compulsory Queensland swamp included :D :D

JJ

BrisVegas
5th August 2005, 06:44 AM
Most people want to play the Open once to say they have played it and then prefer the Legends there after.JJ
Fair call. Legends is a much more "enjoyable" course. I had 83 at the Open and 78 at the Legends, yet played a lot better at Open, for 5 shots worse... Still, I like punishment.... :smt077

Portsea is a very good track and worth a game - Vegas just doesn't appreciate anything without the compulsory Queensland swamp included   :D  :D
Hey, I don't like swamps. Plenty of tourists visiting the Gold Coast seem to though... :roll: I'm not a fan of most resort style courses, Bay Hill and TPC Sawgrass excepted. I much prefer links courses like National Moonah, Dunes, Barnbougle, TOC, Kiawah etc.., it's just that there's none around here. There's no swamps at Brookwater, and I can apreciate it as a wonderful parkland style course.
I'd like to play Portsea again and give it another go. Maybe eventually I will appreciate it. :wink:

terryand
5th August 2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah,no swamps at Brooky,just jungle :?

Terry.

BrisVegas
5th August 2005, 06:58 AM
Yeah,no swamps at Brooky,just jungle :?

Terry.
The jungle was thinned out a couple of months back.  A team of guys with chainsaws and a bloody great big mulcher spent a week clearing out the trees and undergrowth.  You can actually see the course from my back fence now!  :roll:
JJJ wouldn't be happy though, as there are still trees on the fairway of the 10th...  Come to think of it. I don't think JJJ likes trees at all...   :lol:

AndyP - apologies for off-topic posts.. I'm done. :oops:

AndyP
5th August 2005, 09:10 AM
So would we expect that the Moonah Legends course would be jumping into the top 100 or top 25 when Golf Digest release their list again next year?

Most people want to play the Open once to say they have played it and then prefer the Legends there after.
Yep, that sounds like the sort of thing I would do.   :oops:

marcel
5th August 2005, 10:09 AM
50 mins :shock: boy - did you get lost :wink:

FG,

I like to keep the speed down, find the tyre noise drowns out the Perry Como CD otherwise.

I know it's not that big a drive but was really allowing for the invariable drive past the National entrance, into Cape Shanck resort, bugger, out to the lighthouse etc etc.

JJJ
6th August 2005, 01:22 PM
Andy,

Legends deserves a place in the Top 100 - probably around 50. That would put it 49 places ahead of the Open Course by my reckoning :D :D

Vegas,

I don't mind trees - just a forest of them where the fairway is supposed to be tends to put me off.

JJ

AndyP
8th August 2005, 12:08 PM
I've started up another topic (http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2722 for a round on Monday, August 22, so go there if you want to register your interest.

The only problem is, I can't make up my mind as to which one course I should play.
Moonah Links (Legends or Open) (http://www.moonahlinks.com.au) v Portsea (http://www.portseagolf.com.au)

I've started a poll, so you can help me decide.

The Legends course sounds like a nice course, that could make for a really enjoyable round ($60).
But if I play the Open course, I can say I have played it ;), and be able to watch the open later on this year and recall holes ($60).
Then there's Portsea, which will have some fantastic views and will be a little lighter on the pocket ($45).

Which would you recommend?

BrisVegas
9th August 2005, 12:22 PM
AndyP,

There's an interesting discussion about ML Open v Legends here:-
http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9904&hl=

BV

AndyP
9th August 2005, 12:48 PM
Thanks Vegas. I did have a bit of a look around ISG to help make a decision. I'll give this thread a read.

Did you vote in the poll?

BrisVegas
9th August 2005, 12:54 PM
yep. Bet you can't guess which one i voted for. :roll:

AndyP
9th August 2005, 01:01 PM
Despite the argument you posted a link to?....interesting.

Why?  Purely the experience of playing there?
I'm not sure that I would "appreciate" the architectural failings of the Open course, then again it may be glaringly obvious. :smt102

BrisVegas
9th August 2005, 01:20 PM
Despite the argument you posted a link to?....interesting.

Why?  Purely the experience of playing there?
I'm not sure that I would "appreciate" the architectural failings of the Open course, then again it may be glaringly obvious. :smt102

I tend to ignore most rantings of these over-opinionated architecture snobs. For the average Joe (ie. you and me), the experience of "Playing Where the Pros Play" is more important.

I live for playing tournament courses from the tips where the pros play them, just to see how I stack up against them. Then when you watch the Open and see the pros shoot a number like 85, it's gratifying. Equally amazing then too, when someone shoots a 65 on a course you couldnt break 80 on.

miro
9th August 2005, 02:32 PM
Well said Bris. The open course is definitely worth a game.

Portsea on the other hand is one of the most over hyped out dated courses I have ever set foot on. Yes it is a nice members track. Is it any more than that. Definitely no!

Webster
9th August 2005, 05:58 PM
AndyP,

If you only have the opportunity to play one of the Moonah Links courses then play the Open Course, just so you can tick it off your list. I've played both several times, and for me clearly the Legends course is a more interesting, enjoyable layout than it longer plainer borther. The legends is the only course I'd pay the $80 to play agin at that venue. Ideally you'd play both, but if its only one that can be done then play the open course. I'll be interested in what you think.

Jack.

AndyP
10th August 2005, 10:28 AM
Decision made. I'll try the Open course. Thanks for the advice lads.

I suppose you all expect me to hit from the back markers now.

Flowergirl
11th August 2005, 10:22 AM
Well I'll be playing off the reds......and probably John will too ( only joking)

AndyP
2nd September 2005, 12:04 PM
I didn't play two courses in the one day.  Instead I played two different courses on either side of a weekend.
Commonwealth GC with Jack, who used his contacts to get me a game there, and Henry on the Friday.  Moonah Links Open with FlowerGirl, hubby John, and friend Grant on the Monday.

I should have posted my thoughts straight after playing the rounds, but it was a bit hard to do while on holidays.  So this is what I remember two weeks on.

----------------

Looking down the fairway of the 1st hole at Commonwealth was a bit surreal.  I think a course has a better feel to it when the fairways are lined with well established trees, as opposed to an open course.  It's hard to explain, but I could feel a bit of history there.

Really tight fairways in comparison to the other courses I played on my trip.  And a lot more punishing if you missed them, especially if it was by a good margin.  Lots of trees, and the smartest way out is just to knock it sideways back out to the fairway most of the time.

Jack tells me I shouldn't be too harsh on the fairways as they were a little bare.  His excuse was that they are in the middle of the dormant season in Melbourne.  I honestly didn't have a problem with them (when I was on or near them anyway), they certainly didn't provide me with any bad lies.

The condition around and including the greens was superb.  I don't think I ever got used to the pace of the greens, or the contours though.

Not sure where I would rate the course on my own list.  I think I would need to play courses more than once to have a better look.  But Commonwealth is definitely a great track.  Don't be shy in taking up Jack on his offer to get you a game there.

BTW Jack, looks nothing like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel.  Very misleading.

----------------

Moonah Links Open is a open course built in the dunes, with very few trees in sight or in play.  The fairways were very generous IMO.  If you missed the fairways the rough was pretty thick, and made it hard to find your ball and hack it out.  Fortunately, I didn't lose one all day, but did have to play a couple of hack shots.

Lots of hills (as you would expect in dunes), and quite often you would find your ball rolling back towards you, however you could also get plenty of run if you cleared the hill.

Greens were "interesting".  Lots of slopes and pretty fast.  You would rarely find that you would have a chip from the fringe, because if you didn't make it onto the central putting surface, you're more than likely to have rolled at least 10m off the green.
Many greens had sections with big slopes (you would never be able to place a pin on it, or would you? :shock: ), that just feed the ball away to either off the green, or leave you a super dooper long putt.
Three metre putts that you aim 60° away from the hole to curl back are fun too.

Condition of the course is great.  However, some of the fairway areas have snotloads of divots in the one spot due to their tricky little slopes that run the balls to particular parts of the fairway.  
Especially the par 3 17th, which if you fell short of the green, you left yourself with a 50-70m pitch back (I fell short twice). From the whites it was 155m, but the green was above us and it was into a two-three club wind.

I couldn't understand the point of the bunkers along the right hand side of the 18th for the tee shot.  There was no real reason to take them on, because if you cleared one, then you would more than likely end up in the next.  The only strategy seemed to be to play to the left.

Every bunker on the course is a pot bunker, so don't expect to be able to advance your ball very far down a fairway if you get in one, and there are plenty of them.

I also got a handheld GPS for $10 for my round.  I thought it was worth it.  Got some tips before playing the hole, was able to determine distances to clear bunkers, etc, kept my score, and I had some fun with it.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't really get that excited about this course, and wouldn't rate it with National Old or Brookwater, although Golf Digest rate it higher.  Maybe it just didn't have something spectacular to blow me away.

But it will be interesting to see the pros play there later this year and relate to it.

I've put some photos in the 1st Tee thread: http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=54672#54672.

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 02:05 PM
Did you just dig this thread up and vote in this poll, Chappy?

chappy1970
2nd March 2006, 02:15 PM
Yea, probably doesn't mean much now, but there are some new gems on both the mornington and bellarine peninsula's.

St.Andrews baech on the MOR PEN is supposed to be up there with the best 10 in the country. Haven't played it yet though.

Stuart Appleby's Sands Course in Torquay is also supposed to be awesome.

Just checking out some of the older posts for interest sake.

Chappy

Did you just dig this thread up and vote in this poll, Chappy?

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 02:19 PM
I'd love to play all those courses, unfortunately I only have the time to knock off a couple when I make my visit down south.

A golfing holiday down there would be fantastic.

BTW there is nothing wrong with digging up old threads, there's some good reads there.

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 02:46 PM
your rating is good AndyP - the Open Course is a complete dog turd. You know wehy you couldn't see any strategy to the bunkers? Because there is none.

Legends is a far better course, but you did the right thing ticking the Open course off the list, to ee the train wreck for yourself.

I'm interested to see Miro's opinion on Portsea, I think its a great track. better than anything you'll come accross in Sydney except NSW. I'd love to hear why he didn't like it.

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 02:57 PM
I tend to ignore most rantings of these over-opinionated architecture snobs. For the average Joe (ie. you and me), the experience of "Playing Where the Pros Play" is more important.

I live for playing tournament courses from the tips where the pros play them, just to see how I stack up against them. hahah BV, beating this drum again!?! ;)

even if we play the same course, we'll never "really" play the same course, surely you know this?

I like to play the courses that are simply great golf courses, couldn't care less if the Pro's played them. Brookwater is a fine example, won't see any pro tourney's there, but I love having a hit there.

Flowergirl
2nd March 2006, 03:18 PM
AP......Chappy's just looking up old threads so he can find ways to beat me in our upcoming Matchplay game.:evil:
I've got him worried.......:mrgreen:

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 03:21 PM
Chappy, send me a PM...

BrisVegas
2nd March 2006, 03:33 PM
.. there are some new gems on both the mornington and bellarine peninsula's.

St.Andrews baech on the MOR PEN is supposed to be up there with the best 10 in the country. Haven't played it yet though.

Stuart Appleby's Sands Course in Torquay is also supposed to be awesome.

Chappy

Interested to hear what others think of Torquay Sands. I enjoyed it, but it was raining for most of the round and the course was very new/raw. Would like to see it again now that it has settled in. I've heard all the St.A.B hype, so would like to see for myself one day.

Bruce
2nd March 2006, 03:45 PM
AP......Chappy's just looking up old threads so he can find ways to beat me in our upcoming Matchplay game.:evil:
I've got him worried.......:mrgreen:

My advice - don't develop a sudden snap hook off the tee on the day of your match. And try and make her play out of as many bunkers as possible.

chappy1970
2nd March 2006, 03:51 PM
Can't guarantee the snap hook wont appear but there sure is b@stard bunkers and a bit of water too.

You will enjoy the walk, weather permitting:-D