PDA

View Full Version : Steve Williams - WTF?

live4golf
5th November 2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/caddie-williams-in-race-row-over-tiger-remark-20111105-1n0ua.html

Discuss. :)

simmsy
5th November 2011, 03:06 PM
its Steve Williams, he's a knob and a kiwi. nothing more to discuss really.

Daves
5th November 2011, 03:14 PM
its Steve Williams, he's a knob and a kiwi. nothing more to discuss really.

x2

Funnily enough it also confirms how pissed off he is with Tiger, and suggests there is more than a touch of truth in his version of events (at least from Stevie's perspective).

sms316
5th November 2011, 03:33 PM
Woods and Scott are to be in the same group next week at the Australian Open, and there’s a chance they also could face off at the Presidents Cup in Melbourne the week after.

Big fan of this.

simmsy
5th November 2011, 03:35 PM
yep well done to the organizers responsible if this does happen.

Lagerlover
5th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Re "racial slur"...... I pity Mrs Williams, she's the one who will now have to ring Tiger asking for Steve's group certificate!!

sms316
5th November 2011, 03:41 PM
Should he have referred to Woods as an Asian arsehole instead?

Lagerlover
5th November 2011, 03:42 PM
Should he have referred to Woods as an Asian arsehole instead? Are they still round??

Dotty
5th November 2011, 03:45 PM
He's just a tall poppy, taking cheap shots at players struggling to make a cut.

dave1
5th November 2011, 03:49 PM
Ok I dont think hes racist, that said he should know better

I think he had a few brewskies and let slip

context of the comments was mitigating factor I think

ceromoney was mock awards...beers flowing..can see how it happens...no big deal really

Courty
5th November 2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/and-now-stevie-apologizes

IamViva
5th November 2011, 04:03 PM
if tiger called him a white arsehole would it be an issue...

sms316
5th November 2011, 04:07 PM
Caddie of the Year awards being presented right now in Shanghai. I think this is finally the year Noonan beats out D'Annunzio.
:lol:

Lagerlover
5th November 2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry guys bit new to the scene, what colour is an arsehole??

goughy
5th November 2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chocolate%20starfish

Lagerlover
5th November 2011, 04:18 PM
That's great goughy, has that been saved in your favourites??

simmsy
5th November 2011, 04:22 PM
the "Hershey Hwy" is my fav out of that lot.

sms316
5th November 2011, 04:23 PM
You guys are disgusting.

dan
5th November 2011, 04:25 PM
isn't that when the real truth comes out?

Jarro
5th November 2011, 04:27 PM
I'm really starting to not give a flying **** what comments come out of SW mouth :roll:

TheTrueReview
5th November 2011, 04:40 PM
Ok I dont think hes racist, that said he should know better

context of the comments was mitigating factor I think

ceromoney was mock awards...beers flowing..can see how it happens...no big deal really

+ 1. That said it's now a media feast.

I hope Scotty sticks with Stevie.

Eag's
5th November 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm really starting to not give a flying **** what comments come out of SW mouth :roll:

Yep the bloke sure does rate himself, what a tosser.

Yossarian
5th November 2011, 10:34 PM
What a colourful statement from Williams.

IamViva
5th November 2011, 10:46 PM
What a colourful statement from Williams.
I see what you did there ;)

TourFit
6th November 2011, 01:05 AM
Love how calling Tiger a black asshole, and then after the apology explaining he didn't think it would get any attention, and that he didn't mean anything by it...

...eh, HELLO!

PerryGroves
6th November 2011, 07:02 AM

Yep

I hope Scotty sticks with Stevie.

I hope people stop calling him "Stevie"

TheTrueReview
6th November 2011, 07:44 AM
I hope people stop calling him "Stevie"

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie ... :razz:

Ned
6th November 2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/caddie-steve-williams-allegedly-makes-racist-comments-towards-former-boss-tiger-woods/story-e6frf3oc-1226186511244

TheTrueReview
6th November 2011, 08:15 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/caddie-steve-williams-allegedly-makes-racist-comments-towards-former-boss-tiger-woods/story-e6frf3oc-1226186511244

"Scott said it was foolish to suggest Williams was racist and that the comments at the private party were not meant to leave the room. "I disagree that he should be sacked," Scott said when asked about the future of his bagman."

That pretty much puts an end to it.

virge666
6th November 2011, 11:43 AM
Do you think Steve is carrying some baggage ?

Scott vs Tiger first round of the singles . . . . bring that on.

Ned
6th November 2011, 11:57 AM
http://www.facebook.com/questions/10150526555342782/?qa_ref=ssp

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2011, 04:55 PM
He needs to get over it, fast. He's losing any sympathy he had.

IamViva
6th November 2011, 08:35 PM
heh, anti-racism groups want an investigation into steve williams comment... does everyone think this has really been blown out of proportion?

AndyP
6th November 2011, 08:52 PM
Racist comments don't make you a racist. Stupid maybe, but not racist.

Chilled
6th November 2011, 08:58 PM
Voice your opinion to Scott's FB wall: http://www.facebook.com/questions/10150526555342782/?qa_ref=ssp#!/Page.AdamScott?sk=wall

I'm disappointed Scott has defended this man and his racist comment.

3oneday
6th November 2011, 09:00 PM
PC rubbish, it was a throw away comment in a private function. If you claim to have never done it's a bit like saying you've never wanked.

Jarro
6th November 2011, 09:03 PM
I've never wanked

Ned
6th November 2011, 09:06 PM
Do some Cultural Awareness training and protocols, plenty of people make inappropriate comments and actions against nationalities and races, yet it doesn't make them racists.

If it wasn't a high profile situation it wouldn't have raised a heart beat.

Ask Tex, ddasey, Hux, rowey or X-Ray, the number of times they have been labelled by MOP's in moments of anger or actions and they should be spending every day at the Anti Discrimination Tribunal.

The guy should have moved on a long time ago, but he isn't different to a lot of people who carry grievances or baggage even if he or they say they have no problems any more.

mike
6th November 2011, 09:10 PM
If someone makes a short joke does that make them a shortist?

ddasey
6th November 2011, 09:12 PM
Ask Tex, ddasey, Hux, rowey or X-Ray, the number of times they have been labelled by MOP's in moments of anger or actions and they should be spending every day at the Anti Discrimination Tribunal.

Agree.

Just spent 10 days travelling through Cape York communities and time at the Weipa detention centre. Was called a lot worse than that.

Do I think it was racist. No.

IamViva
6th November 2011, 09:16 PM
I've never wanked
me neither...

i wax the dolphin frequently however

TheTrueReview
6th November 2011, 09:59 PM

Just spent 10 days travelling through Cape York communities and time at the Weipa detention centre. Was called a lot worse than that.

Do I think it was racist. No.

Why not? What were the comments?

In a former life, I've been called a "white c0unt" a number of times whilst working. A plainly racist comment.

It is what is is ...

sms316
7th November 2011, 08:31 AM
Why not? What were the comments?

In a former life, I've been called a "white c0unt" a number of times whilst working. A plainly racist comment.

It is what is is ...
It's not racist. It's descriptive.

Is Woods black? Is he an arsehole? Former - certainly. Latter - likely.

Daves
7th November 2011, 08:36 AM
The media will jump on anything about Tiger they can get, because they get absolutely f' all from the man himself.

Jarro
7th November 2011, 08:53 AM
The media will jump on anything about Tiger they can get, because they get absolutely f' all from the man himself.

exactly.

Nothing in it IMO ..... just the usual media beatup :roll:

Chilled
7th November 2011, 02:05 PM
Looks like Stevie isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/steve-williams-exposed-as-a-profane-fool-20111107-1n2h4.html

Hamo84
7th November 2011, 02:28 PM
exactly.

Nothing in it IMO ..... just the usual media beatup :roll:

totally agree, another example of media struggling for good news stories....

just
7th November 2011, 02:33 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/steve-williams-exposed-as-a-profane-fool-20111107-1n2h4.html
That article summed it up nicely, the man's a fool and should be ignored. Hopefully Adam Scott wakes up and dumps him.

Jarro
7th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Adam Scott seems pretty happy with him though .... so i reckon he'll stick with him for a while yet.

TourFit
7th November 2011, 03:37 PM

That article summed it up nicely, the man's a fool and should be ignored. Hopefully Adam Scott wakes up and dumps him.

Why is that just...?

Didn't realise that caddies had to be that bright, truth be told. In fact, I've met plenty of PLAYERS that aren't too bright either!

It's a flash in the pan. Part of a noe ridiculous media cycle and quick grab mentality.

just
7th November 2011, 03:50 PM
Fit
You seem to read a lot of things into a post that weren't there.

It's a flash in the pan. Part of a noe ridiculous media cycle and quick grab mentality.
Who said it wasn't? Not me. Of course it is a media beat up, but it was always going to be when Steve Williams talks about Tiger and as someone who who has worked in the top end of the business and who should behave professionally, should know better than to make dumb remarks like that. It's only an opinion

Why is that just...?
Because he will become a liability and damage Scott's image and by extension his brand. Another opinion.

Didn't realise that caddies had to be that bright, truth be told. In fact, I've met plenty of PLAYERS that aren't too bright either!
I didn't say they had to be. Where did you read that?

Johnny Canuck
7th November 2011, 03:53 PM
Scott needs to tell him to STFU and get on with it. He is obviously helping his game, but at the cost of being associated with the angry knob.

just
7th November 2011, 03:57 PM
Scott needs to tell him to STFU and get on with it. He is obviously helping his game, but at the cost of being associated with the angry knob.
That would work too.

Jarro
7th November 2011, 03:58 PM
I'm sure this latest outburst will make him think twice before opening his gob again

3oneday
7th November 2011, 04:22 PM
Funny though, the only other caddy I know the name of is Fluff Cowan. It's all Tigers fault, clearly :)

Jarro
7th November 2011, 04:24 PM
Funny though, the only other caddy I know the name of is Fluff Cowan. It's all Tigers fault, clearly :)

You've never heard of Fanny ?? :shock:

no homo

TheTrueReview
7th November 2011, 06:02 PM
A release a moment ago by Adam Scott on his FB page.
-----

"I take this opportunity to address the comments that were made by my caddy, Steve Williams, at the Annual Caddy Awards Dinner this week in Shanghai, and the subsequent media reporting.

I want it made very clear that I do not support nor condone racism. I believe there is absolutely no room for racial discrimination in any walk of life, including the game of golf.

I have discussed this matter directly with Steve and he understands and supports my view on this subject. I also accept Steve's apology, knowing that he meant no racial slur with his comments.

On behalf of my team, I apologize personally to everyone that was offended by the reported comments. Please accept this apology so we can all move on.

I now consider the matter closed. I will not be making any further comment."

Jarro
7th November 2011, 06:06 PM
Great comment from Adam Scott ... pretty much sums it up nicely.

I also see that the media are now trying to beat up a stoush between Adam Scott and Tiger !!

FFS :roll:

goughy
7th November 2011, 06:10 PM
Weren't they leaked comments from a private function where it's known that what's said never leaves the room. Some other self important caddie trying to make themselves look big within the group?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mike
7th November 2011, 06:56 PM
It's not racist. It's descriptive.

Is Woods black? Is he an arsehole? Former - certainly. Latter - likely.I agree with this.

Golf needs this sort of sensationalism. Any publicity is good publicity. Makes the next Scott/Woods match up a guaranteed media frenzy.

Good move by Stevie.

Dicka
7th November 2011, 08:41 PM
Williams may not be a racist...I wouldn't know. But what he said certainly had racist undertones, unintended or not. Surely we've gone past that crap...it may have been said in jest but anyone who says this type of thing in a forum that has the potential to be heard by a larger audience, is just plain stupid. And anyone who says the term "black ^%&" is just descriptive is equally stupid.

PerryGroves
7th November 2011, 08:42 PM

March him after the Presidents Cup, FFS, either help or be a hinderance. In no way was all this a positive for Scott in the HSBC. You can rationalise what he said any way you want from the world is too PC to he is in the Klan. The simple fact is that he is supposed to be an asset and he aint.

Freddy speaks http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/couples-says-hed-have-fired-williams/

rubin
7th November 2011, 09:28 PM

+1. Although I think it would be a safe assumption he has already been told to pull his head in.

The only person who has a right to have a go at Steve is tiger, who has already accept the apology and moved on. So should the media.

Daves
8th November 2011, 08:51 AM

Pretty patronising article imo, I know who Stevie Williams is, but who the f' is Greg Ford?

March him after the Presidents Cup, FFS, either help or be a hinderance. In no way was all this a positive for Scott in the HSBC. You can rationalise what he said any way you want from the world is too PC to he is in the Klan. The simple fact is that he is supposed to be an asset and he aint.

Freddy speaks http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/couples-says-hed-have-fired-williams/

So it was a President's Cup Yank caddie who made the leak then? Seriously, this has f' all to do with Freddie, but he obviously couldn't resist the point scoring opportunity. I thought you were cooler than that Freddie? Must be the Tiger love.

TheTrueReview
8th November 2011, 08:52 AM
Pretty patronising article imo, I know who Stevie Williams is, but who the f' is Greg Ford? ...

Good point. Just another scribe hack.

just
8th November 2011, 09:38 AM
Good point. Just another scribe hack.
Why do continually feel the need to make excuses for this oaf? Williams was an idiot and the journalist was pointing that out, as did Greg Norman et al. It appears it's only apologists like you that seem to have some need to defend the man.

sms316
8th November 2011, 09:46 AM
Even if he does hate black people (which I doubt) - he's entitled to his opinion and has every right to express it.

Jarro
8th November 2011, 09:49 AM
Who really gives a rats !?!

sms316
8th November 2011, 09:50 AM
Who really gives a rats !?!
People pushing a racism agenda.

just
8th November 2011, 09:51 AM
You have a comprehension problem. I didn't say Williams couldn't say it, I just said he was an fool for saying it in the first place given his position. The man is an offensive oaf.

sms316
8th November 2011, 09:55 AM
You have a comprehension problem. I didn't say Williams couldn't say it, I just said he was an fool for saying it in the first place given his position. The man is an offensive oaf.
Why do you find him offensive? He's widely regarded as one of the best caddies in recent times. He's pissed off with a former employer and has vented. Big deal.

just
8th November 2011, 10:02 AM
So being a good caddie and being offensive are mutually exclusive? Wow!

His remark was offensive and stupid, you will find very few who will argue that it wasn't. Which is why he had to apologise.

Dotty
8th November 2011, 10:04 AM
I thought the journalists had the comprehension problem.

I interpreted it as 'the award was to be shoved up a specific arsehole', rather than calling the person a ____ arsehole.

Now we just need Stevie to stay quiet for 12 months, and the November 2012 editorial will emerge about the caddy ranks being full of bland automatons.

sms316
8th November 2011, 10:05 AM
So being a good caddie and being offensive are mutually exclusive? Wow!

His remark was offensive and stupid, you will find very few who will argue that it wasn't. Which is why he had to apologise.
Anyone can be offensive. His remark was barely a blip in the scheme of things. He apologised because he knew it was only going to snowball if he didn't.

just
8th November 2011, 10:06 AM
Anyone can be offensive.
You should know, you've made an art form of it.

sms316
8th November 2011, 10:09 AM
So? What's your point?

just
8th November 2011, 10:12 AM
My point is that you wouldn't know offensive if it bit you the arse. If this was a racist remark (and it wasn't) you wouldn't know it anyway, you've had at least one post deleted for being racist and instead of dealing with it you continually sook.

sms316
8th November 2011, 10:17 AM
Meh, I am just playing the game with the administrators because it is their forum and they choose the boundary whether I agree with it or not. If people think racism on any level is not part of everyday life is deluded. Utopia does not exist.

If Tiger had of referred to shoving something up Stevie's white clacker, would he have had to apologise for racist remarks?

just
8th November 2011, 10:19 AM
If people think racism on any level is not part of everyday life is deluded. Utopia does not exist.
Doesn't mean we have to read it on the forum.

If Tiger had of referred to shoving something up Stevie's white clacker, would he have had to apologise for racist remarks?
He wouldn't, even if wanted to, he's smarter than Williams.

sms316
8th November 2011, 10:23 AM
He wouldn't, even if wanted to, he's smarter than Williams.
OK, Adam Gilchrist was allegedly called a "white .........." by Rashid Latif in a cricket world cup (1999??), and Latif had no case to answer. Pushing aside the ICC's incompetance for one moment, do you think Latif should have been suspended?

just
8th November 2011, 10:24 AM
Of course. If you set the standard you should stick to it.

TourFit
8th November 2011, 12:30 PM
Like sands through the hourglass...

Like Adam, Tiger & Steve, let's just all move on.

I would like to make it clear I will have no further comments to make on this subject!

MegaWatty
8th November 2011, 12:33 PM
Fit. Answer my SMS, you white prick.

Tongueboy
8th November 2011, 12:37 PM
SMS? a white prick? maybe?

TheTrueReview
8th November 2011, 12:41 PM
Why do continually feel the need to make excuses for this oaf? Williams was an idiot and the journalist was pointing that out, as did Greg Norman et al. It appears it's only apologists like you that seem to have some need to defend the man.

No, no, no. I'm not making excuses for Steve Williams. He makes his fair share of mistakes, as do we all. The context of the event is some boozy private caddies dinner not a meeting of the KKK. Should it have been said (in a perfect world)? Probably not. But it was said & now it's been handled. One thing though. I am alive to the media and its need to 'find' controversial stories & then give as much oxygen to controversy as possible. Higher ratings, circulation etc means premium advertising revenue - that's what it's all about.

Chilled
8th November 2011, 01:57 PM
Interesting, Scott has now moved to blocking anyone from posting on his FB wall that has anything other than support for him.

TheAwesom1
8th November 2011, 02:35 PM
scott should fire Williams and hire me.

Goldy
8th November 2011, 02:52 PM
That'd be awesome!

mike
8th November 2011, 03:03 PM
He wouldn't, even if wanted to, he's smarter than Williams.Pfft.

Tiger has the 'stupid' title well and truly wrapped up.

BrettM
8th November 2011, 04:51 PM
It's all over now:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/tiger-woods-admits-hurt-but-shakes-hands-with-steve-williams/story-e6frg7mf-1226188533429

(http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/tiger-woods-admits-hurt-but-shakes-hands-with-steve-williams/story-e6frg7mf-1226188533429)

live4golf
8th November 2011, 05:16 PM
tea<storm>cup

...see what I did there?

IanO
8th November 2011, 05:25 PM
tea<storm>cup

...see what I did there?

L4G you legend! :mrgreen:

rodders
8th November 2011, 08:28 PM
Perhaps Stevie could have a chat with John Terry. He'd learn pretty quick how unwise such comments are in sport and life.

Ferrins
13th November 2011, 03:23 PM

Iain
13th November 2011, 04:44 PM
Never mind.