PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching??

Chris32
2nd November 2011, 09:42 AM
The mother in law just started doing this, I had no clue what she was talking about

It seems to be a fancy treasure hunt that you use your phone's GPS, and trade bits of tat with other 'Geocachers'

How bizarre! Apparently there is a Geocache located in the park over the back from our house, I guess that would explain the odd people that walk around with their phone out looking around the place

AndyP
2nd November 2011, 10:36 AM
I had heard of it when listening to a marathon podcast.

Eldrick
2nd November 2011, 10:44 AM
heard of it as well,even downloaded and app for the iPhone and i was surprised how many caches and how active they were around my area
sounds like a fun thing to do with the family

poidda
2nd November 2011, 10:56 AM
A mate of mine does it a lot with his kids. He says it's a great way to get the family out and about in random places. He's always heading off for a walk with the GPS when camping, and the kids seem to love it.

He has warned me that it's very addictive so I've avoided it for the time being.

Marto65
9th July 2012, 09:27 AM
Tried this out yesterday after the wife got wind of it and wanted to try something different.

Found 2 of the 4 we looked for ... and found some other people (non newbies) looking for the same one as us at one stage .... they didnt find it either.

Will probably use it when we are out somewhere and are bored ...

Chris32
10th July 2012, 11:08 PM
Well the Mrs is right into this now, found a few hundred.

Must admit, the real serious people are a weird mob of people, some having found many 1000's

What ever floats ya boat I guess!

Johnny Canuck
5th February 2014, 06:33 PM
Anyone still doing this? I am thinking that my kids will love it.

goughy
5th February 2014, 07:29 PM
My wife has once in a while.

jasonb
7th February 2014, 12:41 PM
My wife has once in a while.

My wife has as well, but not with me - should I be worried?

Johnny Canuck
7th February 2014, 12:48 PM
Tried it with my kids yesterday. They think it is the greatest thing ever.

It is amazing how many of these things are hidden. 2.35 million worldwide. I would estimate I have about 15 in a 3km radius of my house.

golfbound
7th February 2014, 01:04 PM
what app is it you need

Johnny Canuck
7th February 2014, 01:43 PM
what app is it you need

Geocaching.com

On the app, you will be able to view more caches after you find your first one. Your view is very limited at first.

If you check the website, you can view wherever you want. You can only view the immediate area and close surrounds on the app unless you become a premium member.

golfbound
7th February 2014, 02:04 PM
TY

Johnny Canuck
7th February 2014, 02:30 PM
It is actually quite fun. My girls and I hopped on the bikes and had a nice ride and found 4 last night. They wanted to keep going, but I was already in the crap for being late on a school night.

I checked online and there is one nearby that is quite large and contains a good amount of toys and trinkets for exchange. I will be taking them to it this weekend.