PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Golfer Set - Help needed

72unsuited
1st November 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi guys not sure if this is the correct forum for this post but I'll give it a go anyway.

Very new player and I want to get a first set of clubs. The thing is I dont want to spend an arm and a leg until I am convinced I am going to stick at it, so maybe in 6 to 12 months I can upgrade to a good fitted set if I am making progress and wanting to take it to the next level. If my interest does wane at least I wont feel too bad about burning too much money.

So with that in mind my question is should I go for
A) A second hand set on ebay (keep in mind I have no idea what is value and what isnt)
B) A cheaper set from a pro-shop (I am sure they will upsell me massively and tell me I'll never be any good unless I buy a set for much more than I intend to pay)
C) A cheap and nasty set on the internet (I was looking at this one http://www.oo.com.au/Woodworm_Golf_Zoom_Package_Gol_P24584C2131.cfm - $160 including postage)

Will buying incorrect (bad) clubs negatively impact my ability to improve? Or can I really not go too wrong? Your help is much appreciated.

AndyP
1st November 2011, 08:12 PM
Option D) Keep an eye out for something on this forum

rubin
1st November 2011, 09:33 PM
I like option d personally.

To answer your last 2 questions. Yes it will have a negative effect. And yes, you can go too wrong.

Spend the time and do some research. If you get something suited to you, you are more likely to enjoy it.

Dotty
1st November 2011, 10:22 PM
Counter opinion - For 6-12 months, just buy 5 clubs.
Driver (or 3 wood), 4 iron/hybrid, 8 iron, sand-wedge and putter.

But first, get a lesson or two at the driving range, either privately on in a group class. Generally, the range pros are familiar with teaching novices with the basics (as opposed to ex-tour pros). Tell them when you inquire about lessons, that you will need to borrow some clubs for the lesson (and they can generally grab a couple out of a workshop, a hire set or second-hand barrel).

Then after the lesson(s), ask the teacher about buying a club or two, and what does he think would suit you. (He will have a better idea of your swing-speed, posture, etc. than what we can interpret from your interpretation on the internet.)

Practice with this club(s), get familiar with swinging a club and striking the ball cleanly. Visit to the driving range every week or fortnight.

With time, you will develop your natural swing and tempo, which will make it easier to select the next clubs that will suit you best.

So after 6-12 months, you will have a basic set of five clubs.
If you aren't smitten with the game (and don't want to take the next step up the equipment ladder), then you have a couple of dust collectors in the corner or the garage, that will only come out for a boys' weekend away or a work's social game.
If you are smitten, then you have a spare set to loan to a novice mate, as golf is best played with mates.

72unsuited
2nd November 2011, 12:41 AM
Option D) Keep an eye out for something on this forum

I like this option too, however same as the ebay problem I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Concerned I might end up with a set of blades that are not really cut out for a beginner like myself...

3oneday
2nd November 2011, 08:28 AM
No one will sell you blades here unless you ask for them. Trouble would be that you'll get so many offers you won't know what suits.

72unsuited
2nd November 2011, 11:46 AM
Alright, well I'll give that a crack then, made a "wanted" post in the other section.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/25965-Beginners-Golf-Set-preferably-in-Perth?p=717597#post717597

Lobsta
3rd November 2011, 04:55 PM
just my 2c worth;

I picked up a really decent beginner set off Gumtree very cheap. I had a salesperson at a golf store doing backflips over what a good deal this set was new with a crappy entry level bag for $699, and I picked up the same set 2nd hand, this years make, for $275 with a much better bag. a couple of the clubs had not even been used.

Check out whats around on Gumtree as well, as there are some bargains to be had there.

Lobby

golfbound
3rd November 2011, 05:15 PM
where are you located 72

It's ok got it in the other thread