PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching "The Slap" on ABC?

Captain Nemo
31st October 2011, 01:55 PM
?

damoocow
31st October 2011, 02:07 PM
Have only watched the first 2 episodes so far. After ep 1 wasn't going to watch any more as all of the characters were so unlikeable [except for the young Vet Assistant] - and how many ethnic minorities can you fit into one TV show?
Ep 2 was better - will get around to the rest eventually.

Moe Norman
31st October 2011, 02:13 PM
yeah, been watching it.

Liked thr first 2 eps, the 3rd was a bit annoying and predictable with a young hot 16 year old pursuing a man, getting rejected and crying rape.

The butter chicken vs breast feeding convo was classic though

Dennis
31st October 2011, 02:23 PM
good show...kid deserved it

a 5yr old sucking from the teet is a bit disturbing though....

chappy1970
31st October 2011, 04:19 PM
Yep,
Read the book about 3 years ago and it's representation on the small screen is very good IMO.

My wife's sister thinks that Christo the author is a bit of a woman hater by the way the female characters are depicted in the series, I personally don't believe the male characters are any better.

Lagerlover
31st October 2011, 06:56 PM
I thought it was THE CLAP, heard it was highbrow... shame, could have sent a thought provoking post!!

PerryGroves
31st October 2011, 08:35 PM
Yep,
Read the book about 3 years ago and it's representation on the small screen is very good IMO.

My wife's sister thinks that Christo the author is a bit of a woman hater by the way the female characters are depicted in the series, I personally don't believe the male characters are any better.

I'm enjoying, however not sure the format works for me as some of the characters are pretty one dimensional. Interesting take from your wife's sister, thinking about it, I see her point however apart from the old Greek man, the blokes are portrayed very poorly as well.

Peppas
31st October 2011, 08:39 PM
I read the book about 2 years ago for book club. It's a pretty good read, but some chapters/characters views are more interesting than others.

Looks like they've tried to carry the same format into the tv series... I watched the first episode but have only caught bits and pieces of the proceeding ones. I don't remember the book really depicting many of the characters, male or female, in a good light, but then they wouldn't be that interesting if they were perfect!

AlexMc
1st November 2011, 11:17 PM
I don't think the men or women on the show are portrayed very highly - all have their weaknesses under the microscope.

The episode about Alex Demitriades' character was brilliant - screenplay written by Brendan Cowell. I think the show has been a tad hit and miss but was always going to be a challenging piece of text to convert to film.

damoocow
1st November 2011, 11:29 PM
What episode is that? - have only watched the first two so far. Hopefully Cowell is a better writer than actor - his performance in Fat Cow Motel was embarassing.

matty
2nd November 2011, 05:30 PM
Some of the best acting I've seen on Aussie tv. I love the show. For the record I don't think anyone should touch someone else's kid like that. The differing viewpoints re the slap and what's involved in the aftermath make the show realistic.

Moe Norman
2nd November 2011, 06:30 PM
when the TV exec gave it to the hippy mum, it was gold.

I agreed with the TV exec, while my wife sat on the other couch shaking her fist at her insensitive ways.

live4golf
3rd November 2011, 09:05 PM
Watching it...like it.

Captain Nemo
7th November 2011, 07:50 PM
Now the missus has me on Killing Time, tv1, David Wenham, good viewing!

mike
7th November 2011, 09:39 PM
Missed the first episode of The Slap but still enjoy it. Also like Crownies.