PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Sydney going to The Open?

Captain Nemo
31st October 2011, 12:37 PM
As above.
Id like to go either wed practice round, or thurs.

KristianJ
31st October 2011, 12:42 PM
Maybe the Tue or Wed practice rounds for me.

Stuartd147
31st October 2011, 12:45 PM
We have our tickets for the Friday!!!

Captain Nemo
31st October 2011, 12:49 PM
Im staying away from the w/end, there will be 000's there, way too busy!
KJ, let me know when you intend to go.

Croydo
31st October 2011, 12:52 PM
Ill be out there with on Friday with 2 of my mates.

wazandnic
31st October 2011, 12:55 PM
Hey L,

From memory isn't Tuesday practice and Wednesday Pro Am day? Still good to see them in a different mood at the Pro Am then in the tournament, but maybe more chance of getting up close on the Tuesday??

I'd like to get there one day, but no sure it is going to happen :(

Captain Nemo
31st October 2011, 12:58 PM
Yep, tues or wed are the days to go.
No ropes, walk alongside the players etc....
Might take the old white TCC cover and get some Cameron Staffers to sign etc....

KristianJ
31st October 2011, 01:10 PM
L, depends on what day is easiest for me to get off work. Tue would be more likely, but I'll post here when I know for sure.

3oneday
31st October 2011, 01:23 PM
Was thinking about it, but I think I'd rather watch it on tele.

TheTrueReview
31st October 2011, 05:58 PM
Four day pass.

Sydney Hacker
31st October 2011, 06:21 PM
Probably going on the Friday, trying to get out of the work function out there so I can actually enjoy myself out there.

nudgee
31st October 2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah heading down there on Thursday for Friday and weekend. Hopefully weather is good.

Maybe catch up with you guys down there?

Captain Nemo
31st October 2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah heading down there on Thursday for Friday and weekend. Hopefully weather is good.

Maybe catch up with you guys down there?

Jamie, shoot us a pm if you do.

LowTee
1st November 2011, 03:48 PM
Heading out Friday through Sunday might go on the Tuesday for practice what time you thinking?

Captain Nemo
1st November 2011, 03:52 PM
I think im locked in for thursday?

jimandr
1st November 2011, 09:21 PM
I'll probably go on Saturday, but I'll wait to see what the weather is like before committing to anything. I'll also wait and see whether any of the superstars are likely to be in an early group, but I suspect Saturday will be less of a madhouse than Sunday.

I went last year, and The Lakes was OK as far as crowd access is concerned, but the 18th isn't all that great for viewing the finish of the event.

Eldrick
1st November 2011, 10:40 PM
Going on the Friday,thanks to a Fathers day Present
never been to a live golf event before so it should be good

virge666
6th November 2011, 08:45 PM
I am in as well... Got all 4 days but prefer thurs and friday

KristianJ
7th November 2011, 07:51 PM
Turns out I was wise not to bother trying to get a day off...I'm up for a rather hectic work week so I'll end up having the TV in our lunch room on Ch 10 all of Thur and Fri.

Even though I could possibly get there on Sun I think I'll stick to being a couch potato.

BTW, hopefully this afternoon's late thunderstorms won't be a regular occurrence later in the week - absolutely bucketed down in Penrith around 3:30 this arvo for a good 20 min. L et al, did you get much wet around your area?

Captain Nemo
7th November 2011, 08:02 PM
Im def going all day thurs.
Will drop kids to childcare @ 7.30, then round to my mates place.
He lives 3mins from the course and got 6 free tix from the organisers as a pre-thanks you due to the heavy traffic etc... they will have during the week!
There are 6 of us going.

aimnhit
7th November 2011, 09:28 PM
I'm hoping to be there all four days too!!

mike
7th November 2011, 09:30 PM
Did you buy a weekend pass Bowdo?

aimnhit
7th November 2011, 09:32 PM
I actually know someone how knows someone but could only get Thursday fri at the moment

rubin
7th November 2011, 09:33 PM
I actually know someone how knows someone but could only get Thursday fri at the moment

I hear the weekends is where it's at ;)

aimnhit
7th November 2011, 09:34 PM
That's what they tell me..

Tongueboy
7th November 2011, 09:41 PM
crowded but mate. might be worth it to get out of dodge for the weekend:?

aimnhit
7th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Yeah your probably right but that's not the plan this week... Gonna try and get right in the thick if things this weekend... I know a few Marshalls and they are gonna try and squeeze me inside the ropes so I can beat the crowd sometimes

rubin
7th November 2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah your probably right but that's not the plan this week... Gonna try and get right in the thick if things this weekend... I know a few Marshalls and they are gonna try and squeeze me inside the ropes so I can beat the crowd sometimes

Speak to that Bowditch bloke - he might be able to sort you out ;) :D

CanuckDownUnder
7th November 2011, 10:16 PM
Thursday only. Fly in, fly out. Will get some pics if possible.

TheTrueReview
7th November 2011, 11:25 PM
... I know a few Marshalls and they are gonna try and squeeze me inside the ropes so I can beat the crowd sometimes

I'll talk to Shep. See if I can get you a favourable ruling. ;)

TheAwesom1
8th November 2011, 02:35 PM
Mahan or Allenby for the win

Captain Nemo
8th November 2011, 02:39 PM
I'm hoping to be there all four days too!!

I was offering my Caddie services FREE!!!!

NOW I'LL JUST HECKLE YOU FROM OUTSIDE THE ROPES!!!!
Just kidding, best of luck, ill try catch you during your round for an ozgolf pic, bring your famous sign Camillo had!!

Eldrick
10th November 2011, 02:16 PM
whats the best way to get there for this?
was either going to drive and try and park in the side streets
but the other option is to train and bus it

Grunt
10th November 2011, 02:28 PM
Free Buses from Mascot Station

BGH
11th November 2011, 09:43 AM
Mahan or Allenby for the win

I'll take that bet.

jimandr
12th November 2011, 06:52 PM
Here is the Saturday attendance report.

First thing to say is that there is a second entrance, just off Gardeners Road. The gate joins the 13th fairway for those who either know the area or know the course. I mention this for two reasons. Firstly, that gate is where the free buses from Mascot station set down and pick up. Secondly, I suspect not many drivers know about the gate. I suspect that there is probably a fair bit of convenient back street parking near that gate, while I'd be very suprised if you could get a park anywhere near the main gate.

The course is in fabulous condition. The greens were softish early, but firmed up a bit for the afternoon players.

I got very lucky with the players I chose to follow. David Toms was the first 'big name' player out, and I picked him up at the 6th. He'd had a bad start and was 3 over at that point, but played really well tee to green except for one hole. He is still a good player. You won't see it on the highlights, because there were no cameras there, but he holed his approach on the 12th from about 160m for an eagle. He followed that with birdie on 13, played a horrible hole for a 7 on 14, then birdied 15 and missed a 5ft eagle putt on 17.

I then decided to see some big hitting, and looked for Dustin Johnson. As a major bonus, his partner just happened to be J Senden, who absolutely knocked the flags out with his approaches. I'm sure his play looked good on TV, but I'll tell you it was even better live. Just one great shot after another on the back nine. Dustin looked like he didn't really care, and put a ball in John Daly's water on 11, but gee he can hit his driver. His swing is straight from the textbook, but it is super-efficient.

The crowds were very big, so I abandoned thoughts of following Tiger or Jason Day/Bubba, and instead parked myself behind the 16th tee and watched the last five groups hit off with 3 wood or long iron. Tiger hit a rifle-like little fade right down the middle. The camera looked like it was pointing straight at me a few times, so if you saw a black/orange Ozgolf cap right next to the EmirateAirways models, that was me.

The entry fee was very steep at $49, and all the food/drink was double the normal price, but I guess that is the way you get the appearance money to pay the big boys. Expensive, but probably worth it.