PDA

View Full Version : Hensby @ EPGA

McMw
31st July 2005, 11:25 PM
Just watching the last couple of holes of the S'vian Open...
Seeing Hensby, Stenson and Drege working it out against each other, and notice that Hensby has Fanny on the bag....

if it ain't Fanny, sure looks a lot like her...

Anyway...player wearing Ping visor, caddy wearing TM/R7 visor... :?

3oneday
1st August 2005, 07:11 AM
Yes, it's Fanny, not sure if she is going back to the states or not, someone was saying she may be.

Pete

3oneday
1st August 2005, 07:15 AM
Didn't realise he actually won the thing !!!! Good on him !!!!
8)  8)
Pete

Jarro
1st August 2005, 08:42 AM
great win for Hensby ... man has he really hit the big time recently 8)

is he going to be playing a lot on the Euro tour now :?:

3oneday
1st August 2005, 09:10 AM
Reuters - Mark Hensby's venture to The EuropeanTour proved a fruitful one on Sunday when the Australian disappointed the home gallery by beating Swede Henrik Stenson in a sudden-death play-off for the Scandinavian Masters by Carlsberg title.

Both players had come from two shots off the lead overnight to close with six under par 65s and total 22 under par 262, three shots ahead of the field. But then Stenson's three putt bogey at the second extra hole finally separated the pair, leaving Hensby to pick up the first prize.

In a dramatic end to 72 holes, Stenson looked favourite to win when he eagled the 17th with a 25ft putt but then Hensby forced the play-off by holing a 30ft birdie putt on the 18th.

"When you know you've got a putt for a play-off you've kind of got a free shot and I hit a great putt but you need a bit of luck for it to go in ," said the 34 year old from Melbourne, playing on invitation on a break from the US PGA Tour.

"I played with Henrik for the first three days and I knew what a great player he was, so I knew I needed something special."

To win the tour's second successive play-off and a record 12th shootout of the season, Hensby backed up a fine showing in this year's three majors, in which he has finished tied fifth, tied third and tied 15th.

He was so delighted with his victory, his second following the 2004 John Deere Classic in America, he is now going to take up European Tour Membership.

The winner had Nick Faldo's long-serving caddie Fanny Sunesson on the bag, following an arrangement with the Swede earlier in the year. However, Sunesson had no mixed allegiances, Hensby revealed: "As we were walking back for the play-off she said to me "We're either going to make a lot of Swedes happy or I'm going to
be the only happy Swede in the place!"

Stenson's outward nine, three under, put him on top of the leaderboard. Then his eagle on 17, and a stunning bunker save to inches on the last, set up his chance of a third European Tour title and bettering his tied second place last year.

However, when he hit his approach putt at the second playoff hole six
feet past and missed the one back he was runner-up for a second year.

"Obviously it was his day and not mine," said Stenson. "I was tied second and now second on my own, so at least I'm moving in the right direction."

Welshman Bradley Dredge and Barry Lane of England began the final round two shots ahead but Lane's double-bogey on the tenth when he shanked a bunker shot into the lake and an indifferent run coming home by Dredge took them out of contention. For a second successive week, Dredge faded after leading, finishing tied
third with Zimbabwean Marc Cayeux, the first round leader.

Cayeux came home in 28 shots, only a stroke off the European Tour record
for nine holes.

Tournament favourite World Number Seven, Adam Scott of Australia, finished in a tie for fifth place, six strokes away from the playoff with a closing 68.

goughy
1st August 2005, 05:36 PM
I spose, he's got membership to both tours now. His performances have been pretty consistant the last few years - he's been keeping his tour card pretty comfortably.

Good on him.

suwii
3rd August 2005, 04:57 PM
great job hensby
however i would have thought adam scott would win if he had a better 1st round!!