PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Champs-why the crap scores?

Ferrins
25th October 2011, 09:27 PM
Why do we score so badly?

Dotty
25th October 2011, 09:28 PM
C2-h5-oh

peter_rs
25th October 2011, 09:31 PM
The course

just
25th October 2011, 09:32 PM
Those 2 carbon atoms get me every time.

golfbound
25th October 2011, 09:35 PM
C2-h5-oh

C2H5OH - Ethanol the drinkable Alcoholcant see myself wrapping my laughing gear around a petrol balzer in the near future. LOL

AndyP
25th October 2011, 09:37 PM
Why do you say that the scores are crap? The handicap system is such that you aren't meant to play under your handicap very often, so to do it two rounds in a row would be a very good effort, especially on a more penal course.

Ferrins
25th October 2011, 09:48 PM
If I don't score better next year, I'll chuck one of nudgee's turds in the air and catch it in my mouth.

golfbound
25th October 2011, 09:51 PM
If I don't score better next year, I'll chuck one of nudgee's turds in the air and catch it in my mouth.

Save this post somewhere

Yossarian
25th October 2011, 10:48 PM
You all suck under the gun.

MegaWatty
25th October 2011, 11:00 PM
You all suck under the gun.

Mmmmmmm

Courty
26th October 2011, 06:25 AM
I reckon it's the pressure of the big stage (that's my excuse).

sms316
26th October 2011, 06:29 AM
I was still confident Nudgee and I were going to get swamped on Sunday especially after playing of red tees some of the way round.
There had to be a couple of 40+ in the field and a stack more better than 36.
Because the bunkers are so shit, and the greens are furry/bumpy the only way to score well around there is to hit a lot of greens. The forward tees don't help so much on a lot of holes. They just force you to hit poof clubs off the tee to lay up to the same spot as you would be from the back tees (like #9 - I hit a 4 iron).

I didn't enjoy the course setup at all. Don't think PW are doing themselves any favours at the moment with course setup. They seem to be hell bent on catering to the lowest common denominator.

Ferrins
26th October 2011, 07:10 AM
No wonder Dicky excelled.

Eag's
26th October 2011, 07:17 AM
I blame the booze.

PeteyD
26th October 2011, 08:42 AM
Because the bunkers are so shit, and the greens are furry/bumpy the only way to score well around there is to hit a lot of greens. The forward tees don't help so much on a lot of holes. They just force you to hit poof clubs off the tee to lay up to the same spot as you would be from the back tees (like #9 - I hit a 4 iron).

I didn't enjoy the course setup at all. Don't think PW are doing themselves any favours at the moment with course setup. They seem to be hell bent on catering to the lowest common denominator.

Although I am not a fan of playing off the blacks on Sunday, some of the tees we played were a long way forward. We are at the mercy of the club somewhat too.

matty
26th October 2011, 09:16 AM
I put it down to the swing change I'm doing. That is, having a weekly lesson to get a more technically sound, more consistent swing. What shits me is that in the week prior I was hitting it so well and really looking forward to the games. I wonder if hitting a thousand balls the day before during a club fitting grooved some of the old swing faults back in. That coupled with a shit attitude. F nose.

There's always next year. If it's not sorted by then I'll give it away ;)

LeftyHoges
26th October 2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I would've expected winning scores over the two days would be around 75-76ish, minus 2 for the one shot pretty much everyone dropped with the handicap changes prior to the event. Then minus another 2 for the drink. So I suppose 71-72 for the two days is a pretty decent score for the champs on a strange course.

Funnily enough 71 or 72 wouldn't get me within 5 or 6 points of the winner at a two day event at my home track, yet would've been enough to heavily contest the champs.

Strange game.

PeteyD
26th October 2011, 10:30 AM
The field at the champs is somewhat smaller than most weekend fields.

LeftyHoges
26th October 2011, 10:33 AM
The field at the champs is somewhat smaller than most weekend fields.

How many starters? About 50?

Thats better than most country / rural golf clubs these days (in Vic at least).

BrisVegas
26th October 2011, 10:35 AM
Everyone has their excuses. For me, I just made silly mistakes and putted poorly all weekend. Probably my worst champs scores so far I think. No excuses either, as the weather was fine and we played off the ladies tees on Sunday.

virge666
26th October 2011, 12:33 PM
The greens had about 7 different speeds !!!!

timah!
26th October 2011, 12:54 PM
The greens had about 7 different speeds !!!!

^^^This was my biggest issue.

The bunkers were crap, but I got out of all but one in one shot. It was a goal to do so for the weekend.

That, and the fact that I managed to re-find my SuperPowerFade...

Choppa
26th October 2011, 01:19 PM
...so to do it two rounds in a row would be a very good effort...

Was this champs 2 rounds as well?

PeteyD
26th October 2011, 01:59 PM
Only for the cup with handles on both sides.

shavey
26th October 2011, 03:52 PM
Then minus another 2 for the drink.

You're coming next year so we can test this theory out aren't you?

LeftyHoges
26th October 2011, 04:02 PM
You're coming next year so we can test this theory out aren't you?

Yep.

Except by the time next year rolls around I'll have it changed so that its two points per round PER DRINK consumed.

I'll need some sort of excuse for shooting consecutive 88's as I won't be shying away from the drinks!!!

KristianJ
26th October 2011, 05:48 PM
On the Par 5, 8th I faded it too much and was almost in the piss...I'm sure plenty were in the piss on that tee shot as we had no idea where to aim from the reds.

I managed to work out to aim my tee shot left, but hit a damn draw instead of a fade and lost my ball in the scrub on the left. That hole was ridiculously short.

Only hole that IMO benefited from having the tees moved up as they were was 12 (well, I assume I'm speaking for Tim and his 5 point eagle ;)). Just the right length to make driving the green a distinct possibility as opposed to a forced layup. I guess that it would have been for a few of the guys on Sat, but would be interesting to see who went for the driver on Sun.

Hux
26th October 2011, 06:17 PM
Hard part with pw is that some holes u cannot run an approach into but the greens are not receptive to a high ball. Makes it tough as next shot will be invariably bunker

kev
26th October 2011, 06:21 PM
Hard part with pw is that some holes u cannot run an approach into but the greens are not receptive to a high ball. Makes it tough as next shot will be invariably bunker

Strangely I didn't really have too many problems with high shots into the greens from about 70m in. Or are you talking about 8, 9 iron shots in?

markTHEblake
26th October 2011, 07:07 PM
My issue with PW is the short game, i just cant get me head around chipping off tight lies, am used to soft and fluffy grass. I think I had one up and down from around the greens this year, and in 09 none, not counting the frog putts. As for the bunkers, what bunkers? Goughy went in more bunkers on most single holes than I went in for the weekend.

On that point Goughy was a precision driver of the ball all day on sunday, I cant beleive a bloke can aim for a 4-6 metre wide sandy target off the tee and hit it about 10 times out of 14 drives. Thats Moe Norman accuracy for sure. I think he just decided his handicap was too high, so wanted to take a few shots off his score to be fair.

*it would have been more than 10, but a couple of bunkers he finished short of cos he got tired in the end, he had to do too much walking on that moon boot helping to look for Eags tee shots in the mulga.

Hux
26th October 2011, 07:41 PM
Strangely I didn't really have too many problems with high shots into the greens from about 70m in. Or are you talking about 8, 9 iron shots in?

More the 130+m range and I hit a pretty high ball. Had a couple go through but even the green side lob shots didn't want to hold and that is compared to Bribie

My issue with PW is the short game, i just cant get me head around chipping off tight lies, am used to soft and fluffy grass. I think I had one up and down from around the greens this year, and in 09 none, not counting the frog putts. As for the bunkers, what bunkers? Goughy went in more bunkers on most single holes than I went in for the weekend.

On that point Goughy was a precision driver of the ball all day on sunday, I cant beleive a bloke can aim for a 4-6 metre wide sandy target off the tee and hit it about 10 times out of 14 drives. Thats Moe Norman accuracy for sure. I think he just decided his handicap was too high, so wanted to take a few shots off his score to be fair.

*it would have been more than 10, but a couple of bunkers he finished short of cos he got tired in the end, he had to do too much walking on that moon boot helping to look for Eags tee shots in the mulga.

Yeah those greenside lies are tight...need a really low bounce wedge. However the trusty putter was all I used most of the time.

BroKar
26th October 2011, 07:58 PM
I have to agree, I usually get alot of check spin around the green but really struggled at pw

dc68
26th October 2011, 08:02 PM
I peaked on my 18th hole on Saturday. NO WAY was I ever gonna go well on the Sunday.

goughy
26th October 2011, 08:33 PM

Was in more bunkers on my saturday round mtb! Had a stretch of 9 bunkers in 8 holes at one stage. Think I finished with 20 bunkers for the 36 holes, maybe more. How many did I have on sunday? Was at least 12 on saturday, paired with 40 putts for 32pts! And I don't know what sms was going on about with regards to the sand in the bunkers? Just ask virge how I handled them :)

Outcast
26th October 2011, 08:36 PM
Hit full shots okay, struggled to stop 3/4 wedges on the greens; struggled big time with green side chips, very tight lies and I don't own low bounce wedges, putting was okay.

Simply put I just couldn't score consistently

Bruce
27th October 2011, 06:25 AM
Because I was cursed.

Captain Nemo
27th October 2011, 02:07 PM

Agree, but i thought the greens where in ok cond'n?

BrisVegas
27th October 2011, 02:30 PM
yeah, I thought the greens were ok. And I should know, I had about 80 ****ing putts on them! :cry:

Dotty
27th October 2011, 03:52 PM
I blame having to share a cart with two golfing legends.

Freddy Couples on Saturday and John Daly on Sunday.

dc68
27th October 2011, 08:39 PM
:-s

Dotty
27th October 2011, 08:50 PM
:-s
One had silver hair and a dodgy back.

The other was always swapping a cigar for a bourbon in his hand.

ps. No offence intended. Both were perfect company.

Dotty
27th October 2011, 08:52 PM
I would have thought Trevino and Stadler.
More like Statler and Waldorf.

PeteyD
27th October 2011, 09:00 PM

Dotty
27th October 2011, 09:05 PM
I fixed that for you ...

Courty
27th October 2011, 09:07 PM
I fixed that for you ...

Bahahahahahaha! :lol:

mike
27th October 2011, 09:09 PM
Dotty. Bravo.
In less than 5 minutes too.

KristianJ
27th October 2011, 09:10 PM
Champagne comedy.

AndyP
27th October 2011, 09:14 PM
Champagne comedy.
http://www.gamearena.com.au/res/2007/images/features/custom/singlefeatures/champagne-comedy.gif

dc68
27th October 2011, 09:18 PM
I fixed that for you ...

Oh Dotty.... you are good. I must admit to a lol.

Dotty
27th October 2011, 09:36 PM
As were on lookalikes I finally worked out who you are a dead ringer for Dotster.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkzMjYzNTQ2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA5MTkzNA@@._ V1._SY314_CR17,0,214,314_.jpg
All I see is a red cross, but I don't look anything like Henri Dunant.

Let me guess, is it Bunsen (Beaker's offsider) from the Muppet show?

markTHEblake
27th October 2011, 10:17 PM
more like a blind forger.

BrisWesty
27th October 2011, 11:17 PM
more like a blind forger.

Pleasance dreams Blakey!

goughy
28th October 2011, 06:28 AM
Champs - why the crap scores?

Crap golfers :)

Daves
28th October 2011, 10:00 AM
Crap golfers :)

Yeah, can I not play with the crap golfers next year?, it wrecks my scoring, apparently!;)

And no wankers either.

PeteyD
28th October 2011, 12:22 PM
Have fun nigel!

popper81
4th September 2012, 08:55 AM
Good work Dicky..

Marto65
4th September 2012, 09:13 AM
I had to put up with Popper for 36 holes ... thats my excuse. :lol:

popper81
4th September 2012, 09:15 AM

I played great until Marto and Lefty started their impressions of a Katy Perry gif.... FIREWORKS all day!!!!

Captain Nemo
4th September 2012, 09:16 AM

:smt044

I learnt alot playing with Pops at Bribie!!!

BrisVegas
4th September 2012, 09:16 AM
It's the course. AndyP prob has a spreadsheet somewhere, but I reckon we've scored a lot worse at Pelican than previous venues. It's a pretty penal design, with lots of sand, water and thick bush. Not setup for mug punters to handle after booze and sleep deprivation.

popper81
4th September 2012, 09:21 AM
:smt044

I learnt alot playing with Pops at Bribie!!!

Under attack from all angles.... I bet you had more fun at Bribie then you did in the last group on Sunday..... We were laughing on the second tee how "SERIOUS" everyone looked.

Marto65
4th September 2012, 10:30 AM
Best line all day .....

"Putting Marto and LeftyHoges together is like mixing Pepsi and Mentos"