PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Long Tom Review

morgy
21st October 2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.cobragolf.com/golf-clubs/long-tom-driver

Had a hit of one of these at the Canberra demo day today and thought I'd post my thoughts. testing was on the open range with no launch monitor:

The concept is that they are the longest legal driver on the market at 48 inches. Unlike other lengthened clubs, I guess these have been designed for the head to be an appropriate weight/shape for the long shaft, and the grip is also very short to prevent choking down. It didn't feel like I was hitting a longer club at all. It was extremely light, the shaft lagged well, and I managed to get through the ball comfortably.

The results were promising early. I felt the "kick point" in the shaft for the first time in over a year and there weren't too many off center hits. I bombed it from the first ball and continued to do so for the next 10. I was hitting the 9* stiff and the ball flight was a little on the low side, very straight and penetrating, and at least 30 meters longer than my R11 (@ 9* Stiff Upright Bassara 73g stiff). I handed it back and went straight to purchase one $399 rrp with the 20% off deal they were offering $320. Just before I paid I decided I should go back and hit a few more....... the dream faded a little.

I was making some pretty tired swings by this point and the result showed it. PLENTY of low snap hooks and a few off the bottom edge. Obviously the distance suffers with the off center hits and I started finding that I REALLY had to work it to get the results. The club head feels smaller than my R11 and wasn't anywhere near as forgiving; however, I did find it to be relatively low on spin so there were never any ballooning fades or draws, even into a strong cross wind with my terrible swings. The poor results didn't come from the club being 48", it was obviously my swing, but the lengthy shaft probably didn't assist either.

The verdict seemed to be that the club is definitely a LOT longer than anything I've hit before. A big drive for me is 270ish all elements being equal (average 250) and I got a few out there to the 300 marker. In saying that: it is no miracle stick! Miss hits are short due to the lack of forgiveness, which is expected I guess, and could result in the majority of shots actually going shorter than my current driver.

It doesn't feel any longer than 45" to swing and doesn't feel as though you're going to spray every shot. I actually felt very comfortable at address after I got used to the shorter grip. However, to get the most out of this club you'd need to be hitting the sweet spot fairly consistently and, I'm not afraid to admit that, it may be too much for me with my 14hcp. I will probably still buy one with with the view of getting back to singles over the holidays; however, I couldn't guarantee that it'd knock my R11 out just yet.

If you don't have trouble finding the sweet spot then this would be worth a look. I don't know how you'd go changing shafts or whether this is a one shaft fits all like the nunchuck...... but I really liked the feel of the stock shaft.

LowTee
21st October 2011, 09:40 PM
Morgy thanks very much great review. Now, when will cobra get up to sydney for some demo days!!!

jaybam
21st October 2011, 09:45 PM
No good for us jarro. Be taller than us on the tee lol

3oneday
21st October 2011, 10:29 PM
So did you buy it ?

3oneday
21st October 2011, 10:31 PM
If not, you should have :shock: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=long+tom+driver&_sacat=0&_odkw=long+tom&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

rubin
21st October 2011, 10:32 PM
If not, you should have :shock: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=long+tom+driver&_sacat=0&_odkw=long+tom&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Faaaaarrrrk!!!!!!!!

Talk about a return on outlay

morgy
21st October 2011, 10:42 PM
got one on order, should be here in 2 weeks apparently, more like 6 if I know drummond :-) . the ones in the link are limited edition raw versions, no difference though.

id recommend anyone have a go, even if you only flush one outta 20 it will likely be the longest one you have ever hit.

nudgee
21st October 2011, 10:49 PM
Hmmmm I think I may get one too

It could be a fun stick

morgy
2nd November 2011, 01:14 PM
Anyone hit one of this yet? I'm keen to hear other thoughts before I lay down my hard earned! They should be in stock at Drummond this week.

kitsoasis
6th November 2011, 03:00 PM
Saw a bloke demo one on a launch monitor, along with a 910D2 with ahina. Both stiff shafts.

The LT was just really inconsistent as far as flight shape and direction. By comparison the 910 was straight, high and about 10-15ft longer. By that comparison a regular driver with a decent shaft could do better than the LT, and I think the LT is only potentially good for golfers with more consistent driver swings.

And just like Morgy said, prone to low snap hooks.

xe1
6th November 2011, 10:30 PM
More loft on the puppy.... Did you hit the higher loft version

morgy
7th November 2011, 06:10 PM
I hit 9.5 and was getting a good flight.... consistency is the issue for me.