PDA

View Full Version : Champs Wrap Up

AndyP
16th October 2011, 08:17 PM
I know a few have posted in the details thread, but I think it is worth having a thread of it's own for your thanks, highlights, lowlights and observations for the whole weekend.

I'll post more when I can, but it was a fantastic weekend yet again. It's just not long enough. Well done to all that make it what it is; both organisers and participants.

goughy
16th October 2011, 08:40 PM
Just a quicky before I put more thought into it. Another great weekend, that I would have missed had out not been for you all. Thanks for getting me there guys - means a lot to me. And was much needed. Thanks for the room Daves, and to my roomy Just.

just
16th October 2011, 08:42 PM
You are all ****s! On the up side another win to a Nudgee member, home course of champions! Blah, blah, good times yada, yada, best champs ever...

BrisWesty
16th October 2011, 08:45 PM
Best weather since last year!

timah!
16th October 2011, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone in attendance.
After what was a pretty horrible week for me personally, it was a truly fantastic weekend.
I don't care what they say about you over at the other site, but I think you're all alright! :P

sms316
17th October 2011, 09:22 AM
Congratulations on winning the bag g69. It will suit you.

goughy
17th October 2011, 10:07 AM
He tried to lie down in front of my car as I was leaving! I nearly ran into a bmw trying to avoid it!

PeteyD
17th October 2011, 10:49 AM
Another 12 months until we do it all again.

Pieface
17th October 2011, 11:13 AM
Congrats Nudgee!

Hux
17th October 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks to all for efforts organizing. Another great champs weekends

congrats to pooman for a solid effort even with a stinker of a day (for humidity). Good to see he has some runs on the board(shorts)

poidda
17th October 2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds like another cracking weekend. And it came very close to having to listen to 69er for 12 months by the sound of it.

But just remember....

http://pointlessbanter.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2nd_place_is_first_loser_m-300x276.jpg

PeteyD
17th October 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice, so how did the PUSMOP sitin go?

Jono
17th October 2011, 01:06 PM
Arrived at home at midnight yesterday. It was a very enjoyable weekend. Everything is so well organised now. Thanks Shavey and everyone who worked behind the scenes to make this the best champs ever. 8)

td42t
17th October 2011, 03:00 PM
Had a great time, other than throwing up saturday nights dinner about a hour after eating it and dumping the rest in a few squirts fom the ring.
Sorry about the presentations, I packed the ute then got side tracked and forgot.
Thanks to everyone I played with. Great job Nudgee, was a close battle those last 5 holes between you and G69 who's little bunt turned into a chunk and run in the end.
Thanks to shavey and dotty for the help with everything also.
Also was great too meet everyone.
Going to bed now, got home at 1pm today, whats that 20hrs I think driving home, think I might fly next year.

Marty

PeteyD
17th October 2011, 03:04 PM
Incredible Marty. Glad you could make it.

just
17th October 2011, 03:08 PM
Top work Marty, champion effort.

Outcast
17th October 2011, 04:13 PM
Just wanna say what a fantastic 'long' weekend! Particular thanks to Shavey for the incredible deals for accom & golf. Thanks to all others involved in the organisation & running of such a prestigious event. Played crap, had a ball & drank waaay too much.

Met a fantastic bunch of people & enjoyed every moment. Can't wait for next year!!!

Also a special shout out to Dotty for his generosity to me; he knows why & I won't embarrass him but, thankyou again.

Stay safe & well, see you all again in 12 months

Cosmopolite
17th October 2011, 04:33 PM
Well Cosmo was proud to be the first ever WAnker to attend the champs.

What a fantastic weekend, 4 days of golf and partying and meeting lots of the ozgolf characters. What more could you ask for (well better golf is the only thing thar springs to my mind).

A big thanks to the organizers Shavey and Golfer69, Peteyd for doing a great job on the nametagsand a huge thanks to Ferrins for ferrying us around in the rainbow ferret bus.

To the people i played with, Friday Jono, Shazza and Lucastro. Sat Pete the pilot, NK and Shavey. Sunday Outcast, Haysey and Brisvegas. MoNday Outcast, Haystacks and Kristian. All good players and fun people.

The weather was kind until today where we got a wet a** and no fish. We had two big electrical storms on sat, one early morning and one late afternoon but we managed to get the golf done without any sparkly stuff.

I played my usual hacking golf with an unmentionable score on Friday, 24 each sat and sun and 27 today (at least I improved). Next year I will bring my own clubs and wont go half way around the world to get to the champs.

So much fun and memorable moments.

Dotty
17th October 2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone for such a great weekend. Great to catch up with 'my internet friends'.

A double thank-you to those who took the time to organise the 'nuts and bolts' well before the event. And those who did the mundane stuff, while we poored piss down our throats.

Un****enbelieve!

Hux
17th October 2011, 06:28 PM
Also a special shout out to Dotty for his generosity to me; he knows why & I won't embarrass him but, thankyou again.

Lent you his spare comb did he :-)

nudgee
17th October 2011, 06:56 PM
What a fantastic weekend - expected it to piss down rain for 3 days and we had incredible weather!! Thought I would chop it as usual at the champs but managed to pull it together for a change.

Thanks to all my playing partners, I had two great groups over the weekend Iain, AP, td42t (twice), DC68, Ferrins and the big Dickie!!Thanks to Dickie for pushing me all the way including sinking that freaking 12 footer to make me have to sink mine.

Thanks to dc68 for pointing the toilets to me every time we drove pass them.

And finally but biggest thanks goes to Shavey and organizing group - fantastic effort.

Looking forward to defending title next year. Bring them ON!

nudgee
17th October 2011, 06:57 PM
What a fantastic weekend - expected it to piss down rain for 3 days and we had incredible weather!! Thought I would chop it as usual at the champs but managed to pull it together for a change.

Thanks to all my playing partners, I had two great groups over the weekend Iain, AP, td42t (twice), DC68, Ferrins and the big Dickie!!Thanks to Dickie for pushing me all the way including sinking that freaking 12 footer to make me have to sink mine.

And finally but biggest thanks goes to Shavey and organizing group - fantastic effort.

Looking forward to defending title next year.

nudgee
17th October 2011, 07:05 PM
One question - who was that sporting a Scotty proto button back (silvery insert not copperish like a normal buttonback) holiday, 722 of 750 putter??? It also had a cool Scotty custom grip!

I need more info on that one as I needs to get me one - it was just plain awesome.

live4golf
17th October 2011, 07:09 PM
Congratulations Nudgee, sounds like a cracking time was had by all.

I believe I have a leave pass for next year. GET IN!!!!

BroKar
17th October 2011, 07:10 PM
Was it Titleist?

First champs for me and have to say best weekend in ages, if you are a member of this site and don't attend your missing out

Ned
17th October 2011, 07:12 PM

Looking forward to defending title next year.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DMDsqGO1-To/TpvxBl92ryI/AAAAAAAABlQ/ljlq-CpFF7o/s548/Clipboard01.jpg

Jarro
17th October 2011, 07:21 PM
Nice win Nudgee, great effort 8) ....

... god knows how bad this place would've been if Dickie had've won :roll:

Dotty
17th October 2011, 07:35 PM
Lent you his spare comb did he :-)
Worth a fortune on Ebay. Bought in 1983 and still in mint condition.

PeteyD
17th October 2011, 07:42 PM
Still has that new comb smell

timah!
17th October 2011, 07:45 PM
One question - who was that sporting a Scotty proto button back (silvery insert not copperish like a normal buttonback) holiday, 722 of 750 putter??? It also had a cool Scotty custom grip!

I need more info on that one as I needs to get me one - it was just plain awesome.

Titleist. And it was VERY nice!

Cosmopolite
17th October 2011, 07:58 PM
I went to the 7/11 store just down the road from my hotel to get something to drink ( non alcoholic). I found a nutrient water called 'rehab'. How appropriate lol

solarman
17th October 2011, 09:12 PM
Yeah thanks Shaves for putting on a great show. Really had a great time, weather held out and some great golf played.

Cosmopolite
17th October 2011, 09:44 PM
I forgot to thank Timah for lending me the burner driver for the weekend - thanks Tim

Daves
17th October 2011, 10:27 PM
I know a few have posted in the details thread, but I think it is worth having a thread of it's own for your thanks, highlights, lowlights and observations for the whole weekend.

I'll post more when I can, but it was a fantastic weekend yet again. It's just not long enough. Well done to all that make it what it is; both organisers and participants.

Memories from the 2011 Champs

Part 1 - Friday

The sky clearing as we turned onto David Low Way
Being burnt for $15.50 for a pie, sausage roll and a coke at the Hyatt Clubhouse cafe.
Meeting Haystacks, my cart buddy, and marvelling at his colour co-ordinating!
Putting one into the piss off the 1st tee, oh yeah
8 pts on the front , 20 on the back.
The Hyatt back nine, just love 11 to 18.
Being rolled on the match bets by the Sandbag twins
Shavey’s face when he was told after the round that Dickie hadn’t organised a Friday punt!
Lucas’s face when we told him after his round that his drive on 12 was not lost, but under a pile of sand and ice in the middle of the fairway!
The pizza mountain Friday night
PeteyD’s son’s reaction to said pizza mountain, oh to be young again!
Being reminded why we all “hate” henno!
Dickie and DCs replies to henno, the tart
The Outcast and Haystacks “services love affair”, it came close to needing a bucket of cold water
Haystacks making me feel young, geez you have worn that body hard old fella!
Ferrins the Minder, quick and effectively extracting funds from everyone to pay for pizza, punt, and god know what else!
Coins against the wall
Being diddled out of the first win when Dickie called it a practice throw round
Reheated leftover Pizza consumption as the evening wore on
Shavey’s “Mint Julip” rum bombs, there were casualities!
Jono resurfacing after having gone too hard early! (refer above)

timah!
17th October 2011, 10:41 PM
I forgot to thank Timah for lending me the burner driver for the weekend - thanks Tim

Not a problem. It's not a bad stick. Looks like you can put a decent swing on the ball too!

markTHEblake
17th October 2011, 11:30 PM
There was a lot of new faces at the champs, and it was always a worry that there would be some that wouldn't fit the Ozgolf culture. Gee what a bunch of clowns they all turned out to be, fitted in perfectly. Haystacks in particular makes Ferrins seem sane, where did he escape from?

Highlight of the champs was watching Billy Bunter Mayfair putting from 140m out on the last hole and lagged it up to 20m short. Great strategy there with the title riding on that shot, just not sure exactly what that strategy was though. Pity that there was hardly any crowd around to see it.

Cosmopolite
18th October 2011, 03:25 AM
Not a problem. It's not a bad stick. Looks like you can put a decent swing on the ball too!

Er too much swing sometimes.......

sms316
18th October 2011, 07:41 AM
Haystacks in particular makes Ferrins seem sane, where did he escape from?
Did you meet Monty? He caught a bit of wildlife out on the course (brown snake & some lizard). Mad bastard.

Daves
18th October 2011, 08:09 AM
Did you meet Monty? He caught a bit of wildlife out on the course (brown snake & some lizard). Mad bastard.

Speaking of wild life, did he tell you he and his partner owned the dingo that starred in the original Azaria movie!

To be fair though Monty 1) lived in The Alice and 2) has a medical condition. What is Haystack's excuse!;)

sms316
18th October 2011, 08:12 AM
The **** put the snake on my cart. My son might have had a problem taking a shit, but I can assure you that I'm regular.

just
18th October 2011, 08:20 AM
And took a big Water Dragon and held it up to Jono's face. Jono wasn't impressed. Ferrins is normal compared to Monty.

solarman
18th October 2011, 08:31 AM
Hey boys, the missus said I can go. Anyone got a spare bed available ?:o

dc68
18th October 2011, 09:05 AM
No.... Homo.

kev
18th October 2011, 09:24 AM
Great weekend as usual guys.

Congrats to Nudgee for winning!

Thanks Shavey for the great rates and the pizza mountain! Nice work on the name tags to Petey, I think I'm going to frame mine :)

3 days of golf with excellent people, great weather and lots of alcohol - what more could you ask for? (well maybe 4 days would have been better...).

Very sore at the moment, but 300 odd shots will do that too you.

Outcast
18th October 2011, 09:30 AM
Very sore at the moment, but 300 odd shots will do that too you.

And then there were all those golf swings too:mrgreen:

jaybam
18th October 2011, 03:19 PM
So very much fun. As it always is. Cant wait to do it all again. Wonder how many we will get next year???

ddasey
18th October 2011, 03:35 PM
Wonder how many we will get next year???

One Million.........

timah!
18th October 2011, 03:55 PM
60 would be pretty good, just depends on the location being able to take us...

shazza_rs
18th October 2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys for a truly fantastic "long" weekend!

Thank you to all my playing partners - Fri (Lucasto, Jono, Cosmo), Sat (Bruce, MarktheBlake, timah!), Sun (Titleist, Brokar, Jaybam), Mon (Ferrins, Brokar, peter_rs).

Highlights
- meeting some newbies. Great to put some faces to names. Makes reading their posts a bit more interesting.
- Shavey's hospitality for Friday and Sunday nights (these two nights really make the champs for me). Ferrins banter at these two nights as well.
- A nudgee member winning the spoils and a forum favourite in the runner up position :)
- Jono and Cosmo getting "lost" at hyatt coolum trying to find the 10th tee!
- Jaybam, Bruce, Peter_rs and Lucas as cart buddies.

Lowlights
- My inability to score over 30 points in 4 days. I guess I'll have to ride out this current form slump (or keep off the piss).
- People whingeing about the sunday draw.

Jono
18th October 2011, 04:07 PM
People whingeing about the sunday draw.

I was quite happy with my Sunday draw, Shaz. ;)

PeteyD
18th October 2011, 04:10 PM
All things considered, I was extremely happy to make it this year. And on very short notice. It was disappointing to not be able to play properly, but the fact I could hit a ball at all made me pretty happy.

Highlights for me were meeting some of the first timers, catching up with a lot of you (particularly goughy and bruce), getting accommodation at 4:45 on Friday for Friday and Saturday nights, having a room to myself (no friggin snoring except mine!) .

Only things that were disappointing was not being able to go Friday and Monday, having to leave early to get the munchkins home so not finding the result until late in the evening and being deafened by the bloke strangling a cat at the pub.

No operation planned for next year so back to a 3 night stay :D

Eag's
18th October 2011, 04:31 PM
Outstanding Champs once again, I had a rip roaring time :)
It was great to meet so many newbies, some real nutters amongst them ;)
Bring on 2012.

jaybam
18th October 2011, 04:48 PM
I was also happy with the Sunday draw thanks shazza. still got a headache though lol.

dc68
18th October 2011, 05:04 PM
(no friggin snoring except mine!)

I see what you did there....

:smt110

sms316
18th October 2011, 05:14 PM
Really? On what basis?

Courty
18th October 2011, 05:28 PM
A huge pat on the back to everyone who volunteered time, money & effort to make this happen. It's what makes this forum so great.

A personal thanks to all my playing partners from the last 6 days: (Haysey, Solarman, AndyP, dc68, Virge666, Kev, Titleist, Eags, Marto65, Peter_rs, Matty, dc68 (again), Shavey & Haysey (again).

It was great to catch up with all of the regulars and also meet the newbies from all corners of the country.

Congratulations to all of the weekends winners, and commiserations to everyone else.

Thanks to AndyP & Ferrins for not snoring (much) and especially to Ferrins for not molesting my toothbrush. ;)

I came so close to reaching my goal for my Champs week (averaging 30 pts per round for the 6 rounds in 6 days). I was on target after 5 but fell over at the final hurdle that is Northlakes.

I had a fabulous weekend as always and can't wait for the next one.

KristianJ
18th October 2011, 05:29 PM
Loads of stuff I could say about the past 4 days (and I had, but the bloody browser crashed on me), but suffice to say I had a tremendous time. Plenty of laughs, some mixed golf played, and some very good weather. Massive props to Shavey and the other organising types, and the accommodation at the Crowne was great (I sorely missed the buffet breakfast this morning).

Looking forward to next year - bloody can't come soon enough!

EDIT: Now that I have a spare few minutes to try and remember what I typed before the browser shat itself:

Friday

- 5am wakeup to ensure I got to the airport long term car park by 7:30 and avoid the worst of the M5
- Maccas at 7am
- Endure the hour long flight delay with Virge and Jono, and ensuring that somehow Ferrins would know we would be late
- Touching down in Maroochydore and seeing the sun we thought would be eternally shrouded by cloud and rain
- Played in the comp at Coolum - loved the place, and came away with 2 birdies (putt off the fringe at 6 and a 2 putt bird at 12 after my 2nd was a 215m tracer bullet that somehow skirted whatever rough it could have been slowed down by).
- A delay on the 18th tee whilst we waited for a bunch of kids to stop playing chase the roo 50 or so metres away at the far end of the tee boxes
- Shavey's 26 points on the back 9...hardly a bad shot from what I recall of it.
- Checked Golflink on the ride back to Pelican and found that the cap had dropped from 14.5 to 14.4 (hence dropped a shot for the Champs rounds). Bit pissed with myself...
- Fri night pizza (both fresh and reheated), the coin on the wall experience, and the near hitting of a pill out of 705's lounge room by Virge.

Saturday

- NSW body clock got the better of me and I woke up at 5.
- Awesome buffet brekkie.
- Informal long putting comp on the practice green with a few of the guys prior to the group pic
- Slicing my tee shot on the 10th and finding it nearly on the 11th green, good second over the trees to the 10th fairway, then some sort of rubbish gap wedge over the green, flubbed chips, etc. 1 point through 4 holes and some consoling words of advice from AndyP weren't quite as effective as the first visit from Saturday's drinks girl.
- Going par, par, par on 16, 17 and 18...was very happy with that run and how I played the holes.
- 27 points...not too happy, but the way I played I deserved that.
- The whole dc episode - classic stuff!
- Getting back to the room just as the storm hit, and spending the next hour or so watching the lightning before heading down to the Tavern
- Disappointed for the Welsh, but fun times socialising despite the poor standard of pub music that evening.

Sunday

- Brekkie. Yum.
- Better start to round 2 with a regulation par on 1st hole and perfect drive (which was important considering BrisWesty was taping)
- Bill Haas style water shot on the 5th to get a point failed miserably. Even from the left rough, to wipe that hole from 130m out was just pathetic.
- Timah's eagle on 12, and Ferrins and I birdieing from the back of the green.
- Seeing Tim and Ferrins both beat the previous long drive mark on the 16th, dispute whose drive was the longest, then have Oxy hit up and out drive them both by about 20m was rather amusing
- 33 points - not bad, but had I been a bit more careful I could have broken the cap.
- Witnessing the debacle that was Quade Cooper, poker, Shavey's contrasting fortunes from game to game, demolishing the rest of my bottle of tawny port...all with the promise of a good bed to replace the sofa.

Monday

- Final good brekkie
- Getting to Northlakes and deciding rather stupidly that I wouldn't get my wets out of my bag (even though Courty was putting his rain pants on well before we started)
- The resultant drenching turning my Nike Dri Fit shirt into something that felt more like a loose wetsuit.
- My path along 13 and 16 being pretty much identical - slice tee shot into hazard, drop, slice into hazard, drop, slice almost into hazard, chip to about 12 feet, miss putt.
- 26 points...somehow I doubt that I'd have done much better if it was dry. Lazy, tired play. I kept on looking back at Eag's and Oxy behind us and thinking that they must have run out of stuff to talk about after the 5th or 6th hole based on how long they'd have had to wait.
- Farewelling new friends as the Ferrins bus left
- 3 hours in the departure lounge at Brissy airport; an hour with the FNQ boys before they left, and the rest waiting in the midst of yet another flight delay
- Getting to my car in the long term car park at Sydney airport and finding that my alarm keypad wouldn't unlock my car...but after about 20 button pressings from all different spots around the car it finally unlocked.
- Home at 10:30pm.

Ned
18th October 2011, 05:42 PM
Lowlights

What was that PM you sent me about the Saturday draw Shazza ?????????? :)

shazza_rs
18th October 2011, 05:50 PM
I sent a special request before the draw was even done thank you very much. And I see you obliged by grouping me with Blakey.

Ned
18th October 2011, 05:52 PM
I sent a special request before the draw was even done thank you very much. And I see you obliged by grouping me with Blakey.

Huh ?

Was referring to your comment about "What till the whinging/complaining starts"or words to that effect.......................

shazza_rs
18th October 2011, 05:53 PM
Oh different pm..... :)

just
18th October 2011, 06:06 PM
Great Sunday draw Shaz, much better than inflexible wanker who did the other one.

matty
18th October 2011, 07:27 PM
Also a big thanks to the organisers. It was superbly run and the accommodation was A+. Was a pleasure to meet and play with those I did, even Monty. What a lunatic! For those who didn't know Monty likes to search for snakes while waiting for the group ahead. He found two dead ones and kept one over the windscreen of our cart for most of the round until he looped it around the steering wheel in SMS and PeterRS cart. :lol: Worked a treat.

Was a pleasure watching the ability of SMS and the swing tempo of Courty. Personally, I had the two worst rounds of my life but will hopefully bounce back. It felt like Tommy Gainey was trying to swing the club for me. F'n hopeless. I'll put the blame on rooming with Haystacks and his airforce stories. ;)

Until next year...............

Yossarian
18th October 2011, 07:28 PM
Also a big thanks to the organisers. It was superbly run and the accommodation was A+. Was a pleasure to meet and play with those I did, even Monty. What a lunatic! For those who didn't know Monty likes to search for snakes while waiting for the group ahead. He found two dead ones and kept one over the windscreen of our cart for most of the round until he looped it around the steering wheel in SMS and PeterRS cart. :lol: Worked a treat.

Was a pleasure watching the ability of SMS and the swing tempo of Courty. Personally, I had the two worst rounds of my life but will hopefully bounce back. It felt like Tommy Gainey was trying to swing the club for me. F'n hopeless. I'll put the blame on rooming with Haystacks and his airforce stories. ;)

Until next year...............

Seriously, snakes?

sms316
18th October 2011, 07:58 PM

Pricks!

:lol:

Haystacks
18th October 2011, 08:18 PM
Huge thanks to Shavey for the delayed pick up from the airport and transport to Coolum. Organised a huge weekend and still took time out to pick up some noob. Cheers mate. Also thanks to Ferrins for the transport from Pelican to North Lakes and on to the airport in the Venga Bus. Not every trip comes with in flight entertainment! Thanks also to everyone I met, played with (no homo), drank with, played poker with and offended. They will know who they are, I may not necessarily remember :grin:

There was a lot of new faces at the champs, and it was always a worry that there would be some that wouldn't fit the Ozgolf culture. Gee what a bunch of clowns they all turned out to be, fitted in perfectly. Haystacks in particular makes Ferrins seem sane, where did he escape from?

Hmmm. Blakey considering me less sane than Ferrins? I think I need to go to the 'Things That Concern Me' thread.

Sorry they didn't rate with your "conquest" stories. :wink:

Another thing that I should be concerned about is seeing what my son is going to look like in about 20 years! Hopefully I'll get a game with you soon Eag's :smt023

Thanks again guys and girls. Need to go and start banking brownie points for next year!

LeftyHoges
18th October 2011, 08:21 PM
Well after the experience I had at country week this year if the team manager is still the same person next year I'll definitely be coming to the champs instead. Sounds like much more fun (like that was ever in doubt) and exactly where I should have been this year instead.

Grunt
18th October 2011, 08:25 PM
Where are all the pics?

Haystacks
18th October 2011, 08:31 PM
Sorry...I forgot to mention the two bandits who left me feeling violated at Coolum after I offered to drive the Swdish Valiant back to Pelican. Thanks for the intro to the
OzGolf Champs guys!
:smt116

kpac
18th October 2011, 08:42 PM
first of all. Well done shave. Without the behind the scenes work, this would have been a shambles. So well played (not the golf... u owe me 15 ;) )Well done to G69, solid golf for the weekend. Cheeky performance.Congratulations nudgee, great effort to wear down the old fella. From the sound of things u were striking it solid for both days.Thanks to my partners in crime.Jaybam,Jono,SmsHuxDdaseyAnd obviously westy for the match.I was good to see my playing partners all getting amongst the scores! Unfortunately the winner wasn't coming from our group, but the golf was good regardless!Like everyone else I can't wait for next year.Considering on wednesday I told shave I wasn't going to be able to make it I'm glad I got there, even thought I'm still exhausted now! Flew in last flight fri night to bris, free out sunday evening bris. Wife not too impressed the visit was only for golf but that's the way it goes sometime.I've collected a 3rd and a 2nd so far, I may be forever a bridesmaide at this rate.... Great to meet a few newbies. Sorry for the severe lack of festivities but the travel did and still has taken it out of me.Next year I'm hoping for an open schedule to get amongst the evening houliganisms. As I've fallen short the last 2 years.Great event. Bigger and better next year??

shavey
18th October 2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the kind words folks, my absolute pleasure assisting wherever possible... Great to see so many new faces this year and let's hope it continues to grow.

To my playing partners, room mates, drinking partners, coin tossing opponents and poker challengers, what an awesome weekend we had! And massive thanks to the respective partners of all concerned for holding down the fort, be it with young ones or the milkman, and allowing us some time to enjoy our annual pilgrimage to the coast of sun, golf and sore heads!

Suppose I should get the ball rolling for 2012!

goughy
19th October 2011, 06:31 AM
Love your current avatar! Did you get a discount for adding that?

shavey
19th October 2011, 03:33 PM

No but thought it would be a good way to remember the weekend.

AndyP
19th October 2011, 03:46 PM
Spam!

Ferrins
19th October 2011, 04:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with my hand, by the way.

Cosmopolite
19th October 2011, 04:39 PM

Who could forget the mountain!

AndyP
19th October 2011, 08:24 PM
I had a really good weekend, and I'm so glad I made it a long one.

Fri
Morning run - humid
Merchandise pickup
Throw the new OZgolf shirt on straight away
Drive through the rain at Glasshouse area...as usual
Busting to take a leak most of the drive back, but save it for the Hyatt carpark on my knees and freezing up at the sound of any car pulling in
Meet up with all of the gang on around the putting green.
Decide to play comp and see that ACR is two under. Beating that was never going to happen.
I had two birdies. I love birdies.
I loved the course and the experience of playing at a place that I've seen the pros play plenty of times.
There were lots of championship type pins, especially the 9th. I had a few adventures and almost made a miracle par on 8, amazing birdie on 9 and eagle on 12. Unfortunately, they were all near misses.
Pizza at Shavey's while I try to deliver as much merchandise as possible. Well done to PeteyD for the lanyards on short notice.

Sat
Morning Run - humid again and there are two many cul-de-sacs in Pelican Waters
I managed to hold off on having breakfast until after 10a and enjoy some eggs and mushrooms at Pelican's clubhouse.
Another good day at golf. Two birdies. I love birdies.
Seeing dc's chip was awesome, especially after I ran over the top of his ball with the buggy (unintentionally, of course).
Throw down a few quick beers then off to the pub for more socialising. It was good to catch up with some people, but that room was way too loud to hold a conversation, so I moved back to the restaurant area.

Sun
Run replaced by buffet breakfast.
More golf. Three birdies. I love birdies.
Pretty smooth presentations this year. Well done to those involved.
Absolutely buggered.

Ned
19th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry...I forgot to mention the two bandits who left me feeling violated at Coolum after I offered to drive the Swdish Valiant back to Pelican. Thanks for the intro to the
OzGolf Champs guys!

Shyte Stacks, who was the second bandit in the Valiant ? (You talking about yourself) I thought it was only GC, that boy has some game off a 14 handicrap, I couldn't keep up with him!:roll:

:-({|=

:smt064

:smt098

O:)

Haystacks
19th October 2011, 08:43 PM
Shyte Stacks, who was the second bandit in the Valiant ? (You talking about yourself) I thought it was only GC, that boy has some game off a 14 handicrap, I couldn't keep up with him!:roll:

:-({|=

:smt064

:smt098

O:)

timah!
19th October 2011, 08:47 PM
AP, you could have ended up with a Dildoed Courty!

AndyP
19th October 2011, 09:22 PM
The Ping Anser couldn't possibly be replaced.

just
19th October 2011, 09:37 PM
Countback is fine.

Courty
19th October 2011, 09:38 PM
Shoulda been a playoff. Imagine the theatre of the two combatants followed by the sledge-a-thon of 40 spectators walking with them up the chosen playoff hole.

Countbacks are lame-o.

Eag's
19th October 2011, 09:39 PM
+1

PeteyD
19th October 2011, 09:39 PM
Well yea, but there was a full field out there, what if there was no way to play a playoff hole. Countback works fine even if it is lamo.

Courty
19th October 2011, 09:40 PM
Well yea, but there was a full field out there, what if there was no way to play a playoff hole.

Shavey checked with the pro shop and they approved a playoff if it was the chosen option.

Courty
19th October 2011, 09:45 PM
Could've gone back up the 1st.

AndyP
19th October 2011, 09:46 PM
As good as the drama of it would have been, the countback was the only way to go. Nett events don't do playoffs generally and we may not be able to have them every year, so it's better to have a consistent rule that is applied each time.

KristianJ
19th October 2011, 09:49 PM
Whoever suggested coins against the wall should be given an honourable mention.

just
19th October 2011, 09:52 PM
And a great deal of people are going to bugger off for the 20+ minutes (probably a lot more when you consider the scores have to be collated and then to get clearance) it would take take. It would diminish the prize giving if most of the field aren't there.

we may not be able to have them every year, so it's better to have a consistent rule that is applied each time.
Exactly.

Outcast
19th October 2011, 10:06 PM
Countback works fine; I seem to recall this was stated in the early days of this years champs so, should have been expected by all

markTHEblake
19th October 2011, 10:28 PM
Turning around and heading back to the 18th tee and slotting in amongst the groups would have obviously been a problem but with the consent of the PW staff do you think it could be doable. If course these is always the chance of multiple playoff holes if tied.

Head to the practice fairway and have a shootout from 80m to the chipping green. Thats gay, but nowhere near as gay as a countback.

mike
19th October 2011, 10:48 PM
rock paper scissors

Lagerlover
20th October 2011, 03:21 AM
Soggy Sao ??

Jarro
20th October 2011, 04:51 AM
countback works fine.

Stop trying to cause trouble Dick :roll:

Dotty
20th October 2011, 06:32 AM
Countback.

Ferrins
20th October 2011, 06:38 AM
A thousand apologies.

sms316
20th October 2011, 08:45 AM
Pin the tail on the DC.

BrisVegas
20th October 2011, 09:18 AM
As good as the drama of it would have been, the countback was the only way to go. Nett events don't do playoffs generally and we may not be able to have them every year, so it's better to have a consistent rule that is applied each time.

As much fun as a playoff would be, how the hell do you do it with nett stableford events? The countback rewards the player who finishes the best, and that's probably fine for a multi-day event.

sms316
20th October 2011, 09:19 AM
As much fun as a playoff would be, how the hell do you do it with nett stableford events? The countback rewards the player who finishes the best, and that's probably fine for a multi-day event.
And the loser wins a nice blue golf bag. Win-win.

nudgee
20th October 2011, 09:20 AM
So your saying we're not going to dump the countback ? (sorry nudge, just one more)

I agree that count back is lame and a play off would have been more "exciting" but I was buggered and took the easy way out. Sorry to disappoint some punters!

AndyP
20th October 2011, 11:14 AM
As much fun as a playoff would be, how the hell do you do it with nett stableford events? The countback rewards the player who finishes the best, and that's probably fine for a multi-day event.They could both have had double bogeys on a hole, but 69er would win with 1 point to nudgee's zero because he get's a shot on the hole. Pretty stupid. But hey, we should have done a playoff without worrying about practical things.

Bruce
20th October 2011, 11:15 AM
Totally support your call Nudgee.

Ferrins
20th October 2011, 11:19 AM
A thousand apologies.

dc68
20th October 2011, 01:05 PM
Hehe you said pooped.

Johnny Canuck
20th October 2011, 03:19 PM
We had a tie one year in WA Champs and.finished it properly with a playoff hole.

Marto65
20th October 2011, 04:35 PM
Firstly, Congrats to Nudgee, well done - good win - and the correct way to decide it this year was by a countback, because that was the rule.

I'm acutely aware of my status as a first timer, and my opinion might be taken a little lighter than others, but I felt for Dickie (no homo) at the end of the day. Joint Champions, like the Brownlow, would have been better than a countback.

My feeling is that it's just not right for the site's biggest tournament to end like it did. It was, to me, the one disappointing part of the champs (apart from my own crap golf). Have a countback for Wynnum, or Nudgee, or Macleod .. but not for the champs.
This is just a suggestion.
A putting shoot-out. Just like the soccer penalty shootouts ... 5 putts each... with more required should it still be tied.

Two players (or more) ... Lets call them .. "Dickie" and "Chorizo". Dickie plays off 13, Chorizo off 10. They head to the practice putting green, with the entire Ozgolf fraternity following.

Dickie lines up from 10 feet - straight uphill putt. Chorizo has to give Dickie 4 inches (no homo) for every shot he would normally give him over 18 holes. So ... Chorizo will line up from 11 feet.

Toss off (no homo) to see who goes first. The opposing player can stand anywhere he likes to get the line (obviously not in the way though ... it is a gentlemans game).

Alternate shots until it's decided.

I see some big advantages.

* It's over quickly.
* Everyone is there ... imagine 2 players going head to head (no homo) with 50 people watching on around the practice green. Not too far to walk.
* If someone videos it, it's there forever. YOUTUBE SENSATION !!
* You'll give two golfers a lifetime memory - good or bad. No one is going to say, in 10 years time, what a great countback that was.
* You'll see a putt to win ... or a miss to lose.
* Imagine Dickie and Chorizo in each others face (no homo) before the start.
* Imagine the fist pumping (no homo).
* Imagine the coin Shavey would bet on each putt
* Imagine Virge standing there, saying "Under pressure, he forgot his forward press" to anyone who will listen.
* Imagine the Ho's trying to get a bargain putter from the loser.
* Imagine Haystacks getting Eags in a headlock. (sorry .. nothing to do with the playoff ... just a mental image i got.)
* Imagine the noise, the grief, the relief, the anguish, the celebration.<br>

Our major championship should be decided by clubs, not numbers. We are all taught that a 2 inch putt counts the same as a 280m drive. For our major, it shouldnt make a difference how late you had hit a good shot or made a three pointer. Every point should count the same.
A little bit of innovation wont hurt.
It's just an idea.
Marto.

Jarro
20th October 2011, 04:52 PM
That idea sort of takes away Chorizos advantage of being able to blast a drive 50 meters past Dickie .... wheras Dickie can drop a putt from anywhere.

I still like the countback rule myself.

Moe Norman
20th October 2011, 05:07 PM
should be decided by an arm wrestle

PeteyD
20th October 2011, 05:12 PM
Lighting farts, largest flame wins.

I like the scenario Marto has outlined, but not sure if it is right as a decider for the champs.

Dotty
20th October 2011, 05:17 PM
Putt-offs are as tame as countbacks. This is what the punters want to see ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kmAnqk3eNk

Ferrins
20th October 2011, 05:35 PM
Should be a toss off, seems a popular event at the Friday night festivities.

popper81
20th October 2011, 06:07 PM
Should be a breath test..... highest number wins :lol::lol::lol:

matty
20th October 2011, 06:32 PM
I agree that a countback is a lame way to end the champs. There doesn't appear to be an easy solution though. I still think playing the 18th until there is a winner would be great to watch. If someone is good enough to give a shot away they're good enough to get a birdie or par to win.

We need a poll.

Sydney Hacker
20th October 2011, 06:55 PM
You would probably need to go down the first for a play off, the groups behind you probably would be keen on you pushing in front of them to play the 18th.

The problem with playing the first, is it takes you away from the bar!

BrisWesty
20th October 2011, 10:43 PM
Aargh, can't download the videos (they are running close to 1MB/sec, so if someone can guide me how to compress them, I'd be very happy).

Same prob as I've been having with recently downloading 70s & 80s songs, just don't have any of the links to videos or similar. :(

damoocow
21st October 2011, 07:15 AM
I agree that count back is lame and a play off would have been more "exciting" but I was buggered and took the easy way out. Sorry to disappoint some punters!

I think a 'dance off' would be a good way to settle a tie...

just
21st October 2011, 08:18 AM
Hip hop?

damoocow
21st October 2011, 08:24 AM
Hip hop?

that would be funny ...

I'd back Haysey in a dance off - I reckon he'd do a good Peter Garrett......

Dcanto
21st October 2011, 08:31 AM
Courty could bring out the "running man"

dc68
21st October 2011, 08:49 AM
Hip hop?

It would be more like hip pop at Dicky's age.

kev
21st October 2011, 10:23 AM
Hammer Time!

PeteyD
21st October 2011, 10:28 AM
STOP!

Captain Nemo
21st October 2011, 12:50 PM
We'll finally back from my extended holiday in QLD!
Just want say a big thank you to all the organisers Shavey, Bruce et al for a great job, really enjoyed it!
To all my playing partners thanks for putting up with my mediocre golfing.
Sat: Courty and Eags
Sun: Shazza, Jaybam and Brokar
Great to meet all the other guys i have sold/bought/traded/swapped etc..... great to finally put faces to names!!!~
Hopefully ill be back next year, without the family so i can partake in all the extra caricular activities!!!:mrgreen:

Dotty
21st October 2011, 12:55 PM
We'll find back from my extended holiday to clean this is a chance that is a long week just Wanna say big thank you to all the organisers shady Bruce at our house is extreme organise and there as well I'm so say thank you she might find time this Saturday beach and according getting good fun watching the office I'll find out to my Sunday find partners Jane I am sure that and broke a very good job that there're some good shots John was a very enjoyable – you need some guidance looking face against all the driver trade swap sells souls what's this stuff is good – euphoric at all you guys at
Is that you, Zigwah?

Captain Nemo
21st October 2011, 12:57 PM
Dotty, that was dictation from Dragon app on iphone, clearly not a very good one!!!!!:shock:

Jarro
21st October 2011, 12:59 PM
This wrapped up yet ?

oscar
21st October 2011, 01:08 PM
Where's the group shot pic?

AndyP
21st October 2011, 01:50 PM
Facebook.....

LeftyHoges
21st October 2011, 02:28 PM
Should be a breath test..... highest number wins :lol::lol::lol:

We have a similar rule with a tennis tournament a bunch of us play. Fours sets of doubles with random partners over the day.

You MUST be over 0.05 after the second set and MUST be over 0.08 to claim the trophy at the end of the day.

Champs could be decided the same way!

BrisWesty
21st October 2011, 03:59 PM
Instead of playoff, we can throw wedges at high velocity against the bunker face and see which one ends up nearest the lip? ;-)

Bruce
21st October 2011, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see the deepest penetration the winner for that one BV.

Eag's
21st October 2011, 05:31 PM
Just an idea I was discussing with a few Oz Golfers at Northlakes. There has been all kinds of debate about how the Champs draw is done and by who.
As the winner of the Champs, that winner then has the option to do the draw for the following years Champs.
It's kind of like how the winner of the Masters gets to choose what meal everyone will eat as the defending champion, thoughts people?

BrisVegas
21st October 2011, 05:39 PM
I'd like to see the deepest penetration the winner for that one BV.

:shock:

AndyP
21st October 2011, 06:02 PM
Just an idea I was discussing with a few Oz Golfers at Northlakes. There has been all kinds of debate about how the Champs draw is done and by who.
As the winner of the Champs, that winner then has the option to do the draw for the following years Champs.
It's kind of like how the winner of the Masters gets to choose what meal everyone will eat as the defending champion, thoughts people?Nudgee won't do it.

Daves
21st October 2011, 06:10 PM
It's kind of like how the winner of the Masters gets to choose what meal everyone will eat as the defending champion, thoughts people?

If we could get enough there Friday night it would be great to run a Calcutta, with a lead in calling of the field, and ending with a round one draw, drawn one by one from from a "barrel" in front of the crowd.

Eag's
21st October 2011, 06:26 PM
Daves, as we discussed yesterday, I think a calcutta would be a great idea. It would generate so much more interest as to the result, even if you only backed a player for a few bucks.
Love the idea :smt023

AndyP
21st October 2011, 06:28 PM
A calcutta is a dumb idea.

;)

Eag's
21st October 2011, 06:29 PM
Nudgee won't do it.

You might be surprised AP, anyways just an idea to mix things up a bit.

Hux
21st October 2011, 06:39 PM
I have a heard a suggestion of returning to a more economical and "fun" game for the Friday.
Suggestion:
1. Nudgee or another 'club' course and
2. Playing a 2 ball ambrose or a 4somes event.

AndyP
21st October 2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/8438-What-can-we-do-better

goughy
21st October 2011, 07:07 PM
The winner can pick what we eat for friday night, as long as they choose pizza!