PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

oscar
28th July 2005, 06:35 PM
Heard a lot about this site lately - earth.google.com

Any one had a look, apparently it is satalite pics covering the whole world.

You can zoom in and find your own house. ( golf course / nudist club :shock:)

Gota download a 10mg free program first

Jarro
28th July 2005, 07:54 PM
sounds pretty cool doesn't it oscar 8)

Fishy (remember him) sent me the file, but it wouldn't work on my system ... something to do with the video card or something :roll:

anyway, once i upgrade my video card, i'll try it out again :D

markTHEblake
28th July 2005, 11:34 PM
The pics are about 2 years old - I can tell based on the development stage around my golf course, and also my own house is not there.

Also where some of the pics are joined together you can tell they were taken at very different times - like at least many months apart. Again based on stages of development.

but its still great stuff.
Hands up who didnt check out all the golf courses first!

Fishman Dan
29th July 2005, 06:38 PM
Google Earth raaaawks.

The pics are up to 3 years old. When were the Chappell stands built at the Adelaide Oval? In Google Earth they are dust and rubble.

markTHEblake
30th July 2005, 09:22 PM
I just worked out you can measure distances using it. Now i can find out how far the carry is for those stupid bunkers on the first hole.

and they are 15m further than I thought, I dont feel so bad now.

Fishman Dan
31st July 2005, 05:15 PM
I just worked out you can measure distances using it.   Now i can find out how far the carry is for those stupid bunkers on the first hole.

and they are 15m further than I thought, I dont feel so bad now.

If you have a GPS device i think you can load data from Google Earth into it.

I've always been skeptical of a few golf holes, but using the measure tool you can check it out metre-for-metre.

Blake - did you use the 'Path' tab in the measuring tool? Click multiple waypoints to get exact measurements.

markTHEblake
31st July 2005, 10:06 PM
Huh?  i just clicked blindly with the mouse (kinda like how I played golf yesterday) until some dots and lines appeared everywhere.  

Something like that,  i think i found it through a menu.

Fishman Dan
31st July 2005, 10:13 PM
Mark - Tools menu, Measure.

Click on the Path tab.

So if you want to measure a route, you can click numerous waypoint. The default will simply measure "As the crow flies" - useful for working out carries etc..

markTHEblake
31st July 2005, 11:30 PM
Oh that thing, yeah found that too. Its amazing what you can find when you click on all the buttons.

User: How do you Print something on this thing?
Helpdesk: Press Print
User: Gee thats clever, how come you know all this stuff?
Helpdesk: anyone got an aspirin.

Fishman Dan
31st July 2005, 11:37 PM
"Where's the 'Any' Key?" :roll:

drunken
2nd October 2005, 09:38 AM
Damn, my area still isn't updated so I can't figure out the distances of a few holes.

Grunt
2nd October 2005, 09:49 AM
Me too Drunken, My course is actually in construction in the pics. :? It was built from around 1997 - 1998

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 10:36 AM
WOOHOO, i finally got this thing to work :lol:

so, how do i use it :P :oops:

AndyP
3rd October 2005, 11:11 AM
WOOHOO, i finally got this thing to work  :lol:

so, how do i use it  :P  :oops:
Type in brisbane somewhere. That should get you started. You can scroll around and zoom in from there.

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 01:11 PM
awesome :shock:

Fishman Dan
3rd October 2005, 09:51 PM
Noticed recently the photo's within GE have been updated/changed. Previously Sydney's North Shore couldn't be seen clearly, now it can.

Jarro
4th October 2005, 08:59 AM
what's the co-ordinates for your course Fishy :?:

AndyP
18th July 2007, 07:47 PM
All the colour in my GE closeups has warped. Is it just my program? I don't know how to fix it.

AndyP
18th July 2007, 08:14 PM
For future reference, I had to change the 3D View Graphics Mode from OpenGL (Default) to DirectX. I'd never changed it before, so maybe something happened in a version upgrade.

kpac
18th July 2007, 08:27 PM
mmm OpenGL fast and 3D - it rocks my world...

just
18th July 2007, 08:31 PM
mmm OpenGL fast and 3D - it rocks my world...

Nerd!:smt108:smt108

Bruce
21st July 2007, 11:38 AM
Give this one a try. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134186-page,1-c,mapping/article.html

Download the KMZ in the article with a plethora of interesting points already tagged, mapped and ready to enjoy. The Everest one with the overlay is awesome!

Courty
21st July 2007, 08:29 PM
Nice find, Bruce.

Grunt
31st July 2007, 08:33 PM
Just looked at the Bankstown Image on Google Earth. Some interesting omissions. The Bunkers on the 1st are not there! Pic must be quite old as I can't remember playing there in the past 3 years when they were not there.

markTHEblake
31st July 2007, 09:12 PM
Grunt I have been living in my house for 2.7 years and my street isnt even on Google earth.

Grunt
31st July 2007, 09:21 PM
Mac Grange Only just got on, the last image was only showing the course in construction. It was built in 1997.