PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with clubs

Double D
13th October 2011, 03:58 PM
Hi everyone, I know this has been talked about before but I was after some up to date information. Flying domestically in a few weeks with Qantas and Virgin. Taking the clubs but need a few clothes too. I used to be able to take a suitcase and clubs separately at no extra charge, but from what I can gather on the airline websites my max allowance is about 23kg's for one item.

So would I have to jam my clothes in my golf travel bag and a carry-on bag? The Qantas and Virgin websites don't display the information very well at all.

Cheers in advance.

KristianJ
13th October 2011, 04:03 PM
For my trip up to Champs I'm taking my stand bag in a padded travel bag (I chucked both on the scales at work and it and it equates to 14kg) and my clothes (3 days' worth) in carry on that is the same size as Virgin's linear dimension limits. I'll use the remaining 9kg of checked baggage to put my shoes, a few balls and my wet weather gear in the travel bag with the clubs.

The way I interpret Virgin's info, the 23kg can be spread over more than one bag, but I could be wrong. I've never travelled with the clubs by air, so not 100% sure.

rubin
13th October 2011, 04:07 PM
I'm doing the same - the 2 airlines will have slightly differing info, but I was told by both that My max allowance is 23kg's, and even if I purchased additonal luggage, the maximum any one item can be is 25kgs.

timah!
13th October 2011, 04:29 PM
QANTAS = 1 bag total.
Virgin can be multiple...

markTHEblake
13th October 2011, 04:43 PM
No balls allowed in carry on luggage

haysey
13th October 2011, 05:18 PM
No balls allowed in carry on luggage

Or divot repair tools.

IanO
13th October 2011, 05:46 PM
I flew QANTAS the other day and 1 piece of checked luggage is free, the second is $30 even if under 23 KG total. My tip is to cram what you can into a carry on and your golf travel bag.

Double D
13th October 2011, 06:35 PM
sweet thanks for the replies guys...looks like I'll be cramming stuff in the travel bag as well as a carry on bag too. I'll be making sure the carry on is as big as it's allowed to be.

Haystacks
13th October 2011, 10:03 PM
I flew QANTAS the other day and 1 piece of checked luggage is free, the second is $30 even if under 23 KG total. My tip is to cram what you can into a carry on and your golf travel bag.
I'm flying QANTAS to the champs. One checked luggage item no more than 23kg. If you pre buy additional checked luggage, $20 per item not over 23kg. Buy at the check in counter, $30 per item not over 23kg. There are lineal dimension restrictions on checked luggage, but I believe golf equipment is exempt from this.

timinsa
13th October 2011, 10:10 PM
Kristian has the right idea. I always use my clothes to pad my clubs in a wheeled travel bag . Usually runs about 20-22kg. Then you can max out your carry on to 8-10kg as it never gets weighed.
Given the other Qantas thread I reckon your clubs will either be staying at the airport or riding on your lap.

Dotty
13th October 2011, 10:18 PM
In February, we got 28kg with Virgin. Something about tickets bought 90 days in advance and an extra 5kg for sporting equipment.

I packed everything for 5 day into a Brosnan overbag, and it came to 23 kg. (Clubs, small golf bag, summer clothes and one pair of shoes.)

golfbound
13th October 2011, 10:23 PM
This is correct Dotty Virgin give you an additional 5kg for sporting equipment, I fly alot with my clubs but only fly virgin (they are the best) i can check in as many bags as i like as long as they dont go over the total bag limit for you ticket class.My Daughter (4 yrs old), my wife and I are all golf members so we get 35kg's per person no matter what ticket we but plus an additional 5kg per person for sporting goods plus 8kg of carry on luggage.

Ned
13th October 2011, 10:40 PM
This is correct Dotty Virgin give you an additional 5kg for sporting equipment, I fly alot with my clubs but only fly virgin (they are the best) i can check in as many bags as i like as long as they dont go over the total bag limit for you ticket class.My Daughter (4 yrs old), my wife and I are all golf members so we get 35kg's per person no matter what ticket we but plus an additional 5kg per person for sporting goods plus 8kg of carry on luggage.

Not as of April this year, they canned it.

golfbound
13th October 2011, 10:42 PM
i flew 2 weeks ago and it was all good extra 5kgs for my clubs

golfbound
13th October 2011, 10:43 PM
Just looked i have done 8 flights with my clubs since April and all have been good.

Jono
17th October 2011, 04:13 PM
Just don't fly Jetstar ... I flew up to the champs with virgin with no problems but made the mistake of flying back with Jetstar. Their check in weight limit is 20kg. I had to transfer the shoes, balls, tees etc into my carry on bag. After I struggled shoving the stuff into the backpack, the check in chick told me that the carry on bag couldn't exceed 10kg. I looked at her with this "I hate you, I'll never fly with you guys again" expression and she let me go.

BrisVegas
17th October 2011, 04:15 PM
Just don't fly Jetstar ... I flew up to the champs with virgin with no problems but made the mistake of flying back with Jetstar. Their check in weight limit is 20kg. I had to transfer the shoes, balls, tees etc into my carry on bag. After I struggled shoving the stuff into the backpack, the check in chick told me that the carry on bag couldn't exceed 10kg. I looked at her with this "I hate you, I'll never fly with you guys again" expression and she let me go.

so that backpack handled 10kgs then ? :lol:

Jono
17th October 2011, 04:23 PM
so that backpack handled 10kgs then ? :lol:

10.8kg with ease ... ;)

Thanks mate for lending me the backpack. You saved me at least hundred bucks.

Jarro
17th October 2011, 04:23 PM

I think Jetstar staff were refusing to accept excess baggage fees as a protest against what big bad Qantas are doing to their loyal, hardworking, underpaid staff ;)

TheTrueReview
17th October 2011, 05:18 PM
I think Jetstar staff were refusing to accept excess baggage fees as a protest against what big bad Qantas are doing to their loyal, hardworking, underpaid staff ;)

Ouch, doesn't Death Star make more out of fees than fares?

Jarro
17th October 2011, 05:25 PM
Ouch, doesn't Death Star make more out of fees than fares?

I believe so :mrgreen:

johnny b goode
30th October 2011, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone, I know this has been talked about before but I was after some up to date information. Flying domestically in a few weeks with Qantas and Virgin. Taking the clubs but need a few clothes too. I used to be able to take a suitcase and clubs separately at no extra charge, but from what I can gather on the airline websites my max allowance is about 23kg's for one item.

So would I have to jam my clothes in my golf travel bag and a carry-on bag? The Qantas and Virgin websites don't display the information very well at all.

Cheers in advance.

personally i like the rifle bags, can only fit 7 or so clubs but a heck of alot easier to lug around the airport with rest of the bags kids and mrs and doesnt add too much weight to the sherrifs on the counter

rubin
22nd April 2013, 02:27 PM
first of all, I know there is a thread about this somewhere, but 25 minutes searching for it and I can't find.

Mod's feel free to merge them if you know the one i'm referring to.

I will be doing a number of interstate trips this year and early next year, and the intention is to take my crubs with me each time.

In the past, there hasn't been an issue as the clubs will be my only check in luggage (I can pack some clothes etc around them, and its only short stays), however when i was talking to a bloke I was playing with last week (NH) he mentioned that on his last trip to Melbourne, he had a hell of a time with them and ended up having to pay extra for them.

Personally, i've flown jetstar, Qantas and Virgin with my clubs before, and no issues, but what this guy was saying is that the airlines have changed it now, and sporting goods baggage must be purchased seperately?

to those in the knows - is this the case?

Pencil
22nd April 2013, 02:47 PM
i took mine overseas and back in the last month with Qantas. They were my only check-in, like you said I just packed my clothes in the travel bag around my bag. Not a problem with me. They'll charge if your over 23kg but if your under you should be fine.

benno_r
22nd April 2013, 03:21 PM
I have flown with my clubs all over Asia, and I have found it has only ever been a drama with budget carriers (Air Asia, Jetsar etc). As long as I was under 23kg with Qantas or Virgin, it's never been a drama.

On a separate note, if you don't have a Club Glove stiffarm yet, it is easily the best golfing purchase I have ever made.

Cheers,
Ben

PerryGroves
22nd April 2013, 03:24 PM
Domestic travel, if you want to take clubs (Virgin my most recent experience), you will need to pay a baggage allowance and they limit you to one checked in bag.

Travel with a decent sized coverall, shove as much as you can in that bag (up to 23 as Pencil said) and then take a small carry on. This assumes you are not holding top end airline membership cards, I know I get a free pass with Qantas on baggage.

Nug300
22nd April 2013, 03:40 PM
Ive only taken my clubs as a second bag. Paid up front before flying however i have never had a problem with Qantas or Virgin.

My last trip i travelled with my clubs was to Tassie. I was heading down there for a Bowling tournament so i had suitcase of clothes, 3 bowling balls and my golf bag and had no issues at all.

markTHEblake
22nd April 2013, 06:19 PM
I have this and probably going to sell it - never used. I think I decided I might prefer a soft cover maybe.
Bag Boy Hybrid TC - google it and see if it tickles your fancy.
http://golf-cc.awcdn.net/7933-large_default/housse-de-voyage-deluxe-bag-boy-hybrid-tc-9.jpg