PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good S/S waterproof jacket

goonie
11th October 2011, 11:59 PM
Looking to pick one up locally in Brissy for the champs weekend.

Redland bay have the Sport Leisure with 2 or 3yr waterproof warranty

Golfworld have the Nike S/S Wind Jacket but it is only rainproof - http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegolf/en_AU/products/details?sku=398210

Anything else worth looking at that I might be able to get by the weekend?

Outcast
12th October 2011, 12:12 AM
I have a Sports Leisure short sleeve rain top, copes just fine with tropical storms... you do get some seepage down the back of the collar, not sure that is avoidable though with any set.

I also have a set of Greg Norman waterproofs, longsleeve top (wear it down south when it's cold and wet) with trousers, again I tend to couple the trousers with the SL shortsleeve top and they work fine together. The pants have little flappy things that sit over the top of your shoes and help stop the rain coming in through the laces/tongue area.

Captain Nemo
12th October 2011, 07:28 AM
I have one of those Sunice jackets that where being offered on here.
I bought the model with the zipoff sleeves, outstanding !
Serious wet weather gear, I have dryjoy's stuff but its nothing near this gear!

Leon Phelps
12th October 2011, 07:30 AM

+1
Loving my Sunice, blocks out all the cold and wetness, awesome

goonie
12th October 2011, 08:07 AM
Not worried about the cold, I have an old nike storm fit long sleeve jacket thats good for winter, I just want something light that will keep me dry in the hotter months.

BrisVegas
12th October 2011, 08:25 AM
I'm using the DryJoy SS jacket that I got from sms a few years ago. It works pretty well. It gets a bit sweaty in hot weather, but it's definitely better than a long sleeve for qld weather.

Daves
12th October 2011, 08:28 AM
Anyone tried the Woodworm ones?

goonie
12th October 2011, 09:00 AM
Anyone tried the Woodworm ones?

Someone mentioned them in one of the other wet weather gear threads.

TheTrueReview
12th October 2011, 09:00 AM
Looking to pick one up locally in Brissy for the champs weekend.

Golfworld have the Nike S/S Wind Jacket but it is only rainproof - http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegolf/en_AU/products/details?sku=398210

Anything else worth looking at that I might be able to get by the weekend?

Goonie, I'd avoid the Nike rain gear. I bought a Nike Storm-Fit jacket & pants outfit earlier in the year and it failed recently. No fun getting wet whilst wearing 'waterproof' gear.
http://cloud.shop.pgatour.com/images/product/regular/1016000/1016139-aac.jpgAlso, it wasn't lined & it has a rubbery material on the inside which made it a bit sweaty. I noticed the zip wasn't a waterproof type that is found on other brands. I've taken it back for a credit. This time, I think I'll try Footjoy.

popper81
12th October 2011, 10:04 AM
I am happy with my woodworm gear so far, limited use though.

goonie
12th October 2011, 10:10 AM
Pacific GC have a Cutter & Buck jacket with removable sleeves which could be good.

BrisVegas
12th October 2011, 10:12 AM
I've got a spare short sleeve jacket you can borrow goonie. It's nothing special, but would save you some money. I think it's an XL.

rhino62
12th October 2011, 12:28 PM
check Prestige Brands at Murrarie - they have Cutter & Buck gear.

goonie
12th October 2011, 12:51 PM
check Prestige Brands at Murrarie - they have Cutter & Buck gear.

I have been trying them all morning and just get a recording

TheTrueReview
12th October 2011, 03:56 PM
Have just ordered this one from FootJoy.

http://images.acushnetgolf.com/is/image/footjoy/2011_us_35244?resMode=sharp&hei=338&wid=650&zoomFactor=2&rgn=100,115,1800,1810

Hopefully this being my third set of waterproofs, will actually be waterproof.

rabsss
12th October 2011, 04:03 PM
I don't know what you have in terms of shops up there, but two and a half years ago I bought a Cross waterproof and windproof jacket I got with a prize voucher at another club.

Other than a few marks on it now, its perfect for the wind and rain and you dont feel a drop. A little on the expensive side (my jacket was $150 from memory and if I didnt have the $120 credit I probably wouldnt have gotten it) but it is great and once these marks get the better of me I'll definitely get a new one.

Courty
12th October 2011, 04:07 PM
I've had a s/s Sporte Leisure for some years and it's been great. However I've left it behind in favour of the 2012 Mizuno Impermalite that I just got.

goonie
12th October 2011, 04:13 PM
Got the missus to grab the Cutter & Buck one, will check it out when I get home.

daMANiack
9th December 2011, 08:12 AM

Hi,

I still have a few Sunice Gore-tex 100% waterproof jackets and pants left, have moth balled for next winter but still available if any takers.

Kind Regards, Ken

Croydo
9th December 2011, 10:36 PM
Ken what sizes and styles do you have left ?

TheTrueReview
9th December 2011, 11:31 PM

His original thread might assist. http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/24221-Sunice-Gore-tex-Golf-Jackets-100-Waterproof-Lifetime-warranty-120-shipped?p=662658&highlight=sunice#post662658

LarryLong
10th December 2011, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't get caught up in brand names, especially golf rands that put a premium on the label - the fabric is what matters.

I used to do a lot of bushwalking and I was a tragic gear freak in my younger days. I look at what the best bushwalking gear makers use, and it's basically goretex or eVent. One of my serious bushwalker mates tells me that eVent is better than goretex, but doesn't yet have the name. There isn't a great deal of this stuff around made specifically for golf, but you could just as easily grab the lightweight model from an adventure type brand or a running or cycling or skiing jacket and use that. It's bound to be more waterproof than the average golf brand jacket.

One thing I find interesting is that many golf jackets don't have hoods. Why is that?

TheTrueReview
10th December 2011, 06:56 AM
... One thing I find interesting is that many golf jackets don't have hoods. Why is that?

Because it would annoy the crap out of a person when trying to swing.

Hux
10th December 2011, 08:39 AM
Looks like we will all need waterproofs this weekend!!!!!!!

daMANiack
10th December 2011, 10:16 AM

Hi,

Just made a few revisions, still have some ladies gore-tex suits available also.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/24221-Sunice-Gore-tex-Golf-Jackets-100-Waterproof-Lifetime-warranty-120-shipped?p=654815&viewfull=1#post654815

Kind Regards, Ken