PDA

View Full Version : Special: iPhones as DMD during champs...

timah!
8th October 2011, 09:10 AM
So that there is no issue/confusion/debate, I thought it might be appropriate to get a group decision on this.
I figure if we're only playing for second, then we should be able to give it the best go possible ;)

Yes/No only, poll will run till Thursday.

goughy
8th October 2011, 09:12 AM
I'm all for it. I bought golfshot last year for the sole purpose of using at the champs and it rained to much for me to wanna get my phone out. Probably do the same here, but seriously, am I any threat to anyone?

Daves
8th October 2011, 09:13 AM
iPhones are the spawn of the devil! Allow them and you will bring the 4 horsemen down on us!;)

Eag's
8th October 2011, 09:16 AM
Of course you can use them, this is the Oz Golf Champs, not the Players Championship.
Seriously at our level, yardage gadgets are of little or no help so knock yourself out :)

Jarro
8th October 2011, 09:19 AM
Doesn't this issue get brought up before every Champs ?

WBennett
8th October 2011, 09:20 AM
Only if you use them as Distance Measuring devices, and to put bets on the next at Caulfield for the rest of your playing group....

BroKar
8th October 2011, 09:26 AM
I will have a small radio most of Saturday, hopefully no one minds

Eag's
8th October 2011, 09:28 AM
Doesn't this issue get brought up before every Champs ?

Yes mate it sure does. Use whatever you want people.

timah!
8th October 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm just ensuring that there is no controversy surrounding DC's second coming...

PeteyD
8th October 2011, 09:39 AM
I will have a small radio most of Saturday, hopefully no one minds

I'll get the kids to drown it out on you.

AndyP
8th October 2011, 09:45 AM
The rules of golf don't allow them.

PeteyD
8th October 2011, 09:57 AM
What rules?

BroKar
8th October 2011, 10:11 AM

Not 100% true, Peter_rs explained this ruling to me I can't remember now

BrisVegas
8th October 2011, 10:19 AM
It's up to the event organiser. Personally, I don't give a ****.

sms316
8th October 2011, 10:23 AM
What rules?
Back in Razaar's day they had rules for streetfighting. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4cU9t7YnI8&feature=related

timinsa
8th October 2011, 10:46 AM
If you're going to put the cards into golflink for handicap then no you can't.

My iPhone 4 has Tapatalk but no compass. Just great.

peter_rs
8th October 2011, 10:50 AM
If the local rules allow them and it's not a women's golf event then they are allowed.

Pelican allows them as a local rule last time we checked

BroKar
8th October 2011, 10:55 AM
If the local rules allow them and it's not a women's golf event then they are allowed.

Cheers for that

AndyP
8th October 2011, 12:27 PM
Not 100% true, Peter_rs explained this ruling to me I can't remember now

That's plain wrong. The club doesn't have the right to ignore the rules of golf in competitions. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are talking about DMDs in general, and not iPhones as DMDs (particularly if the compass app is available), which is what the topic is about.

MegaWatty
8th October 2011, 12:29 PM
Oh god....Again? Really?

BroKar
8th October 2011, 12:32 PM
I'll be using one, I do every week

AndyP
8th October 2011, 12:35 PM
Do you play with the same playing partners every week? If not, a rules nazi might pull you up on it one day.

BroKar
8th October 2011, 12:40 PM
Or club allows iPhones, heaps of people use them mate

jaybam
8th October 2011, 12:43 PM
If you want to risk your iPhone in the pissing down rain go for it. :)

AndyP
8th October 2011, 12:50 PM
Or club allows iPhones, heaps of people use them mateSo you've seen on the local rules board "iPhones with compass application allowed", despite Golf Australia ruling otherwise. I doubt it.

timah!
8th October 2011, 12:53 PM
If you want to risk your iPhone in the pissing down rain go for it. :)

Is it going to rain next weekend?

Grunt
8th October 2011, 01:02 PM
This topic comes up every year and it never seems to be closed. If they are going to be banned, ban them and Dsq anyone that uses then.
It looks like the sheep stations in outback QLD are up for grabs again.

Like Eag's said we are not playing in the PGA tour. It is a bunch of blokes heading up to the Sunshine Coast to have a hit of golf and a pretty big drink.

Wish I could make it this year, if only I had known earlier that my shoulder was going to get me out of my little paddle.

markTHEblake
8th October 2011, 01:09 PM
Like Eag's said we are not playing in the PGA tour.

Eags often says that and he is right, we are not playing the PGA tour or Players championships, and neither is my clubs Sunday afternoon chook runs. So where does the line get drawn regarding when the rules of golf do not apply and which ones, and when should it be decided by popularity contest, or typically on Ozgolf by bullying " well i am using it and if anyone tries to stop me they can go and get stuffed"

Unfortunately it is clearly a black and white situation. Use an Iphone and you are breakiing the rules, no different than using a foot wedge, taking preferred lies on the bunkers, mulligans and gimmes.

When you play you are on your honour, just ask Miro. He was pretty hard done by, after all he wasn't playing on the PGA tour.

Grunt
8th October 2011, 01:13 PM
good point MTB

peter_rs
8th October 2011, 01:17 PM
Ap i just go by Nudgee they have not been given a ruling, they have been given guidance

WG are they only ones that said out right no outright

It may be head in the sand stuff. Either way it does not effect me.

BroKar
8th October 2011, 01:17 PM
Is what Peter_rs said wrong??

MegaWatty
8th October 2011, 01:25 PM
Eags often says that and he is right, we are not playing the PGA tour or Players championships, and neither is my clubs Sunday afternoon chook runs. So where does the line get drawn regarding when the rules of golf do not apply and which ones, and when should it be decided by popularity contest, or typically on Ozgolf by bullying " well i am using it and if anyone tries to stop me they can go and get stuffed"

Unfortunately it is clearly a black and white situation. Use an Iphone and you are breakiing the rules, no different than using a foot wedge, taking preferred lies on the bunkers, mulligans and gimmes.

When you play you are on your honour, just ask Miro. He was pretty hard done by, after all he wasn't playing on the PGA tour.

Miro eh? Thanks Blakey. Makes for some interesting reading... ;)

Eag's
8th October 2011, 01:33 PM
Can someone please tell what it is exactly that makes the use of an Iphone illegal?
I am just curious as to what advantage can be gained by using one, compared to many other devices that are legal?

timah!
8th October 2011, 01:44 PM
iPhones are supposedly illegal for COMPETITION use because of their compass.

We are playing a SOCIAL round. To avoid this ridiculous argument on the day, can we make a decision now.
Yes or no. It's not that hard...

markTHEblake
8th October 2011, 01:47 PM
Can someone please tell what it is exactly that makes the use of an Iphone illegal?

Its not illegal otherwise Hux would have to throw you in the back of the Paddy Wagon. the iPhone has a non-conforming feature which cannot be removed, therefore a golfer is penalised if he uses one. The problem is that it is the Compass and that virtually every phone has one creates a lot of confusion.

I am just curious as to what advantage can be gained by using one, compared to many other devices that are legal?

Any DMD which has a non-conforming feature that includes, but is not limited to, measuring wind direction, terrain (height) and a compass is by definition a non-conforming device.

Why a compass cannot be used I do not know, measuring wind or grain I expect was the original reason for it to be mentioned in the Decision. It is a ridiculous situation in any case and the R&A do need to provide more clarity than they already have, because it is obvious golfers all around the world are being subject to discussions like this because we do not understand.

For further clarification read the Rulings & Explanations linked to in this post
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/23670-Golf-Rules-Clarification-Android-Iphone-Smartphone-as-Distance-Measuring-Devices.

We are playing a SOCIAL round. To avoid this ridiculous argument on the day, can we make a decision now.

As far as the Ozgolf Championships go, if the tournament committee specifies an event condition that covers the situation that is fine, but they should not feel they that are being forced too, there is no "we" in this. If they don't then the Rules of Golf plus the Pelican Waters Local Rules apply explicitly.

The alternative is to allow everyone to decide which rules that they are allowed to break without penalty.

Eag's
8th October 2011, 01:49 PM
A bloody compass?? FFS! well at least if anyone gets lost out there, they can find their way back to the clubhouse :roll:
Timah, I vote yes no question.

kev
8th October 2011, 01:52 PM

Courty
8th October 2011, 02:07 PM
No need. I've got a range finder and a Sonocaddie.

I will use Golfshot (non-GPS version) for tracking my stats.

Marto65
8th October 2011, 02:22 PM
Won't bother me if you use it. Just ask the proshop first so you can tell the nay Sayers to shove it. It would bother me a lot more if I pointed out to a marker that someone was breaking a rule, like fudging a few inches on the green, and then that marker chose to ignore it.

mike
8th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah but ... but ...

Marto65
8th October 2011, 02:56 PM
My iPhone will be in my bag. I will use it only to phone le carto beatchez to find out where my beer is.

jaybam
8th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Makes no difference to me. I'm a chopper. I am sure there is distance markers at the course and may e if we are really lucky the sprinkler heads will be marked. Seriously though I bet you all started playing golf without them. When I started playing golf most courses didn't even have 100 and 150 markers. Had to trust your eye. Outlaw them all.
;)

Eag's
8th October 2011, 03:09 PM
I don't own a DMD, but if people want to use them, then I say good luck to them.

Outcast
8th October 2011, 03:59 PM
I think the ruling by R&A is stupid but, unless a decision is made by the organisers of this event that we may use an iPhone then, I will be using a rangefinder and the 'non' GPS version of Golf shot in my iPhone to track stats, like Courty does.

I agree with Blakey, we don't get to choose which rules to comply with and we should not be trying to bully folk into letting us use them. I would personally like to use it coz it does help me figure out my way round a new course but, if the organisers say no, then so be it. I have already created a 'yardage' book from the online course guide for Pelican Waters; does anyone know if Coolum or Northlakes have a yardage book or, course guide online from which I can make one?

shavey
8th October 2011, 04:58 PM
Not wanting to get all high in mighty in my role as assisting with the champs for the past few years but I think they should be in... and if a non DMD carrying playing partner would like to know the distance, by all means tell him too. If it all means we have a more enjoyable round, it's a no brainer.

So in the words of the famous man Jean Luc Piccard, 'Make it so!'.

Eag's
8th October 2011, 05:00 PM
Spot on Shavey :smt023

mike
8th October 2011, 05:04 PM
yeah but ...

mike
8th October 2011, 05:05 PM
Seriously, it's the stupidest rule in golf. I can't believe it's even being discussed.

Goldy
8th October 2011, 05:07 PM
Seriously, it's the stupidest rule in golf. I can't believe it's even being discussed.

x1,000,000

timah!
8th October 2011, 05:08 PM
Not wanting to get all high in mighty in my role as assisting with the champs for the past few years but I think they should be in... and if a non DMD carrying playing partner would like to know the distance, by all means tell him too. If it all means we have a more enjoyable round, it's a no brainer.

Boom. Top stuff.

goughy
8th October 2011, 05:11 PM
I would guess most of those other measuring devices are more accurate than the piddly gps in our phones most of the time mine is only accurate to 5 to 10mtrs, could be worth 2 clubs difference. If wet, stick it in a zip lock bag. I did last year, but still didn't risk bringing it out much.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

AndyP
8th October 2011, 05:40 PM
Is what Peter_rs said wrong??
Yes and no.

Today, yes.

In July, no.

Smart phone as a phone is ok, but not as a gps if it has other features such as temp, wind, compass etc as a specific gps only app it is ok just becareful to only use the app.

I don't own a DMD, but if people want to use them, then I say good luck to them.The issue is not DMDs in general; they were used last year. It's iPhones or smartphones with other capabilities that make them against the rules.

Won't bother me if you use it. Just ask the proshop first so you can tell the nay Sayers to shove it. It would bother me a lot more if I pointed out to a marker that someone was breaking a rule, like fudging a few inches on the green, and then that marker chose to ignore it.What does it have to do with the proshop?
I'd prefer to not ruin an otherwise good day by creating a conflict and pointing out the "few inches" you speak of.

AndyP
8th October 2011, 05:41 PM
Shavey has ruled that they are allowed, so stiff shit to the 3 that have voted 'no'. Will the three have a moral problem with using the iPhone themselves if given the opportunity?

Dazza
8th October 2011, 05:44 PM
Everyone playing for sheepstations yet?

Jarro
8th October 2011, 05:46 PM
Everyone playing for sheepstations yet?

You'd think they were 'eh ? :roll:

AndyP
8th October 2011, 05:49 PM
Lucky it's not a public poll then, or you would all do some targeted bullying.

markTHEblake
8th October 2011, 05:54 PM
I'd prefer to not ruin an otherwise good day by creating a conflict and pointing out the "few inches" you speak of.
If everyone simply agreed to play by the rules of golf then there would be no conflicts. That is one good reason for golf having rules.

Lucky it's not a public poll then, or you would all do some targeted bullying.

Pity the three Didn't voice their opinion then. I voted yes, but I vote no for making such a decision based on a vote. So which rules are we going to ignore next, play gimmes, not signing cards, preferred lies?

jaybam
8th October 2011, 05:54 PM
I voted no because the other one no looked lonley :)

jaybam
8th October 2011, 05:55 PM
I think the next rule we can decide on is can we carry as many clubs as we want???

kingslayer33
8th October 2011, 06:02 PM
I think the next rule we can decide on is can we carry as many clubs as we want???

If you made that rule some would need two or three bags to carry all the arsenal.

Outcast
8th October 2011, 06:03 PM
I think that we should rule that if and when Outcast hits the green he is automatically granted a one putt.... tis probably the only way I'll get them

Eag's
8th October 2011, 06:12 PM
Can someone show me where anyone was bullied into making a decision?
I think it is just a matter of common sense prevailing in this instance. I think we can all agree that the rule against the use of these devices is a joke.

timah!
8th October 2011, 06:13 PM
Can someone show me where anyone was bullied into making a decision?

No, I will not be bullied into such an action! ;)

peter_rs
8th October 2011, 06:18 PM
So which rules are we going to ignore next, play gimmes, not signing cards, preferred lies?

we already allow unsigned card, four on one, scoring errors high and low and their was a issuse with preferred lies at kv

We bend the rules to allow people to enjoy the week end, it is not right but we are a social group

Webster
8th October 2011, 06:40 PM
C'mon guys, it's important that the flagship event on the Ozgolf calendar is played strictly by the rules.

Ned
8th October 2011, 06:56 PM
C'mon guys, it's important that the flagship event on the Ozgolf calendar is played strictly by the rules.

sms, you got those crackers ?

Moe Norman
8th October 2011, 06:58 PM
There are quite a few dumb rules in golf, can it be clarified which ones are being ignored?

Can players repair spike marks on their putting line? Can you take a preferred lie from inside a divot?

BroKar
8th October 2011, 07:03 PM
Just borrowed the pro from Wantimas course guides and notes, I won't use my iPhone unless other people are

AndyP
8th October 2011, 07:23 PM
There are quite a few dumb rules in golf, can it be clarified which ones are being ignored?

Can players repair spike marks on their putting line? Can you take a preferred lie from inside a divot?
Ask Shavey. :mrgreen:

ddasey
8th October 2011, 07:41 PM
I have an IPhone. It has a compass.

Bloody thing keeps pointing me in the direction of the house with the pool where them young lady's were sunning themselves :mrgreen:

Yossarian
8th October 2011, 07:47 PM
Shavey has ruled that they are allowed, so stiff shit to the 3 that have voted 'no'. Will the three have a moral problem with using the iPhone themselves if given the opportunity?

Yes I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0

Moe Norman
8th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Ask Shavey. :mrgreen:

I reckon patting down spike marks on your putting line should be fine, as long as you use your iPhone to do it.

Peter
8th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Rules are rules. Even the dumb ones.

aussieashley
8th October 2011, 08:31 PM
http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site...156-source.pdf (http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site/_content/document/00008156-source.pdf)

From Golf Australia. A few different scenarios covered here.

jaybam
8th October 2011, 08:32 PM
I have no poblem now as i just went and smashed my iphone with a hammer. That will fix the damn compass. Now what sort of phone shall i replace it with???

Choppa
8th October 2011, 08:32 PM
Bugger me this is big business now. We need a rules official for each group. Btw I am planning to use the compass to determine earths pull on my ball, rules or Jo rules.

Choppa
8th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Uck the iPhone predictive text. And alcohol. I hope the compass isn't this inaccurate.

AndyP
8th October 2011, 08:35 PM
That has already been posted on this forum in the following thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/23670-Golf-Rules-Clarification-Android-Iphone-Smartphone-as-Distance-Measuring-Devices.

It was either ignored or forgotten.

Captain Nemo
8th October 2011, 08:36 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what's a dmd?

timah!
8th October 2011, 08:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what's a dmd?

Distance Measuring Device.

Ned
8th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Uck the iPhone predictive text. And alcohol. I hope the compass isn't this inaccurate.

Bit of pre champs warm up Chop ?

aussieashley
8th October 2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site...156-source.pdf (http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/site/_content/document/00008156-source.pdf)

From Golf Australia. A few different scenarios covered here.

That has already been posted on this forum in the following thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/23670-Golf-Rules-Clarification-Android-Iphone-Smartphone-as-Distance-Measuring-Devices.

It was either ignored or forgotten.

It really is a simple one page summary that answers a few questions being asked in this thread.

Captain Nemo
8th October 2011, 08:48 PM
Distance Measuring Device.

Oh ok!
Its not the us open, really!!!!!

Moe Norman
8th October 2011, 09:00 PM
I don't understand that attitude?

It's a social event, its not for sheep stations and all that. Nobody disagrees with that.

However it is a game of golf, and the rules of golf are clear. So why not just make it black & white and play by the rules of golf?

It's a dumb rule, nobody would disagree. There are heaps of dumb rules though, why ignore just one of them?

Where do you draw the line?

Johnny Canuck
8th October 2011, 09:08 PM
I don't understand that attitude?

It's a social event, its not for sheep stations and all that. Nobody disagrees with that.

However it is a game of golf, and the rules of golf are clear. So why not just make it black & white and play by the rules of golf?

It's a dumb rule, nobody would disagree. There are heaps of dumb rules though, why ignore just one of them?

Where do you draw the line?

You draw the line after using an iphone as a dmd.

Is anyone going to gain an advantage from using an iphone as a dmd over a sureshot? nope. if someone could, all the power to them.

this is supposed to be the highlight of the year and a few of you guys are taking it as serious as Peter rs trying to choose a course for match play.

AndyP
8th October 2011, 09:38 PM
Saying "you take it too seriously" or "you're not playing for sheep stations" is just a way for people to dismiss others' opinions.

Johnny Canuck
8th October 2011, 09:43 PM
How many people that are against the usage of iphones, own an iphone with a golf gps program installed?

Shadesy
8th October 2011, 09:52 PM
I would use it and just be disqualified! There's, golf beer and friends, couldn't care less about anything else!

That's my 2 cents!

LarryLong
8th October 2011, 09:57 PM
Saying "you take it too seriously" or "you're not playing for sheep stations" is just a way for people to dismiss others' opinions.

You're taking the sheepstation comments way too seriously.

By the way, I think Steve Jobs just rolled over in his grave.

AndyP
8th October 2011, 09:59 PM
How many people that are against the usage of iphones, own an iphone with a golf gps program installed?
Yoss doesn't have one.

LL, I see what you did there.

Marto65
9th October 2011, 03:33 AM

Isn't that exactly what you did though? You chose to ignore blatant cheating for the sake of not ruining the day?

AndyP
9th October 2011, 05:51 AM
Isn't that exactly what you did though? You chose to ignore blatant cheating for the sake of not ruining the day?
I ignored it. But if I had pointed it out the "sheep stations" comments may have been directed at me, so I'm missing your point as to what I exactly did.

Marto65
9th October 2011, 06:23 AM
I ignored it. But if I had pointed it out the "sheep stations" comments may have been directed at me, so I'm missing your point as to what I exactly did.

Here is what I'm saying. You can't hold the rule book up in one hand saying ban the iphone and then turn around and ignore a bloke who fudged a couple of inches every time he marked the ball on the other.

If anyone doesn't have a compass, the sun rises in the east. Moss grows on the south side of trees in aus.

They should remove all those 150m plants on courses, they have unwittingly planted compasses.

The pro shop generally police the local rules. As at the pro shop if they have a drama with using an iPhone. As stated , I won't be using mine as a dmd.

Choppa
9th October 2011, 07:02 AM
Bit of pre champs warm up Chop ?

Yep. And right now I am reminded why I stopped getting blind on the saturday night.

Ned
9th October 2011, 08:35 AM
Yep. And right now I am reminded why I stopped getting blind on the saturday night.

Not enough practice mate .........................

Peter
9th October 2011, 09:04 AM
I have one. I don't think they should be used until the rule is changed.

Moe Norman
9th October 2011, 09:13 AM
The pro shop generally police the local rules. As at the pro shop if they have a drama with using an iPhone. As stated , I won't be using mine as a dmd.

It's not a local rule, its a rule of golf.

I'm not exactly taking it too seriously either, I'm not even playing. I just don't get how you can ignore the rules you think are dumb.

I have an iPhone, but I haven't got GPS software on it, because I play golf according to the rules

markTHEblake
9th October 2011, 09:34 AM
Spot on Thommo. The Committee cannot waive or amend a rule of Golf. So I walk into the pro shop on saturday and ask 'can i use more than 14 clubs' they will answer 'do whatever you like $60 please'

that wont exonerate me from being a cheat though no matter how dumb the 14 club rule is.

Outcast
9th October 2011, 09:38 AM
FWIW, I have an iPhone, I have a Golf GPS app but, nolonger installed, I think (like most) it is a dumb rule but, after reading the various thoughts and opinions here I won't be reinstalling it & using it at champs.

I agree that it is supposed to be a fun weekend & I have no doubt it will be but, golf is golf & the rules are the rules & the game should be played accordingly. At the end of the day, I dont think it really matters though, golf is a game of honour & integrity, just watch where pros call penalties on themselves, other than the very occasional (these days) walk in Cricket, where else does this happen? Let's end the debate, if they're allowed by the organiser of this fine tournament then so be it & dig out. Let the individual choose what they want to do, I suspect it will make little to no difference to the outcome

markTHEblake
9th October 2011, 09:42 AM
Shavey has ruled that they are allowed

Point if order! Shavey did not rule that, he only cast his yes vote. So we have not got anywhere except for the majority ruling to ignore a rule of golf because it is dumb.

This thread is stupid anyway because if we allow iPhones that does not say anything about other phones.

And we still dont know how to properly run a countback or have a qualification for winning the champs.

We are not playing for sheep stations, but the reason cerrain rules need to be clearly defined is so that childish arguments are not defended with the sheepstations argument.

Jarro
9th October 2011, 09:46 AM
This is getting good 8)

BroKar
9th October 2011, 09:48 AM
Anyone with an iPhone, I strongly suggest doing what mr Dasey said and save the pics of each hole to your iPhone, it's pretty good and is the same as the course guides I have.

I want to use mine but didn't think the topic was worthy of this many posts so won't be using it.

PeteyD
9th October 2011, 09:50 AM
If you can't use the i-Phone as a DMD in normal competition why do you have the GPS app installed on it?

Does the Samsung Galaxy S have the compass issue or not?

BroKar
9th October 2011, 09:52 AM
According to most golf courses you can use it, I'm sure pelican allow it aswell

PeteyD
9th October 2011, 09:55 AM
Using a DMD and using the i-Phone is a different issue. According to the table from GA the i-Phone can not be used as a DMD.

Moe Norman
9th October 2011, 09:56 AM
According to most golf courses you can use it, I'm sure pelican allow it aswell

a golf course cannot install a local rule that contravenes the laws of golf.

Jarro
9th October 2011, 09:58 AM
You all should've bought the Galaxy2 then shouldn't you ;)

Johnny Canuck
I have one. I don't think they should be used until the rule is changed.

Do you have an alternative DMD that you will be using?

PeteyD
Go the Galaxy :D

BroKar
9th October 2011, 10:01 AM
a golf course cannot install a local rule that contravenes the laws of golf.

Then I suggest someone should ring all the clubs that allow them then and let them know

Webster
9th October 2011, 10:43 AM
So do we all now agree that the iPhone cannot be used at the Champs as a DMD?

WBennett
9th October 2011, 10:47 AM
Suck it apple sheeple. This android has no compass!

jaybam
9th October 2011, 11:36 AM
I blame Timah for this mess :)

timah!
9th October 2011, 11:44 AM
I blame Timah for this mess :)

Are we allowed to use spoons? ;)

AndyP
9th October 2011, 01:31 PM
Here is what I'm saying. You can't hold the rule book up in one hand saying ban the iphone. I never said that.

I blame Timah for this mess :)I blame the person that told him to start the thread. ;)

MegaWatty
9th October 2011, 01:35 PM
Suck it apple sheeple. This android has no compass!

I hope you don't get lost! ;)

peter_rs
9th October 2011, 01:56 PM
Not that it is god and maybe nk can check up north.

Nudgee are aware of the "advice" from golf Australia but as it has not been added to the decisions of golf or a tournament rule like wga have it is only advice and requires a local rule to enforce

Hux
9th October 2011, 02:49 PM

High and Mighty......ROFLMAO. The shavester is getting tough now :-)

BroKar
9th October 2011, 05:49 PM
So who is using there iPhone next week?

Peter
9th October 2011, 05:55 PM
Do you have an alternative DMD that you will be using?
I'm not playing.

I have a rangefinder, so never use the phone as a DMD during comp golf.

Courty
9th October 2011, 06:19 PM
So who is using there iPhone next week?

I will, but not as a DMD.

PeteyD
9th October 2011, 06:20 PM
Does anyone want to use their i-Phone as a DMD?

AndyP
9th October 2011, 06:23 PM
Does anyone want to use their i-Phone as a DMD?

You have read Brokar's posts, haven't you?

markTHEblake
9th October 2011, 06:43 PM
Which Iphone?

FYI. I have updated the information on this Ozgolf thread with some significant changes based on various statements from ruling bodies:
Golf Rules Clarification: Android, Iphone, Smartphone as Distance Measuring Devices (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/23670-Golf-Rules-Clarification-Android-Iphone-Smartphone-as-Distance-Measuring-Devices.?).

Key Changes:
- Iphone 3G is a conforming device., there is no compass installed by default.
- if a non-conforming feature can only be accessed via web browser, the device is conforming
- added a link to Oregon GA that has a flow chart to help determine if a device is conforming.

Would appreciate any feedback on the overall interpretation of all of the provided references in that thread. Feedback such as "the rule is dumb" and "what benefit does a compass give" has already being received and taken into account.

mike
9th October 2011, 06:53 PM
I hope nobody is carrying a thermometer in their bag at the champs. That would be blatant cheating.

BroKar
9th October 2011, 07:01 PM
Seriously, do some of you just want drama in your lives or something?

Make a poll where people playing next week only can vote, then let's move on.

AndyP
9th October 2011, 07:03 PM
Seriously, do some of you just want drama in your lives or something?

Make a poll where people playing next week only can vote, then let's move on.

That sounds like too much hard work.

BroKar
9th October 2011, 07:05 PM
Hahaha ok, or we could debate it for a week instead, I'm easy.

I didn't use mine today when playing as I figured I won't be using it next week

AndyP
9th October 2011, 07:14 PM
I can look at the current poll and work out the votes from who is actually playing, but a "robust discussion" is more fun.

dc68
9th October 2011, 07:48 PM
Screw you Timah for starting this crap.

FWIW I have and Iphone 3G but still wont be using it a a DMD.

I could not be ****ed pulling out the specs to see what is says all the time.

jaybam
9th October 2011, 07:59 PM

FWIW I have and Iphone 3G but still wont be using it a a DMD.

I could not be ****ed pulling out the specs to see what is says all the time.

Confident stuff there champ ;)

timah!
9th October 2011, 08:10 PM

Don't blame me, i've been out fishing!

Yossarian
9th October 2011, 08:10 PM
Bunch of cheats.

Marto65
9th October 2011, 08:32 PM

Sorry Andy, was this not you waving the rule book around?

AndyP
9th October 2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry Andy, was this not you waving the rule book around?No.

popper81
9th October 2011, 08:45 PM
Don't blame me, i've been out fishing!

Plenty of bites?? :lol::lol:

timah!
9th October 2011, 08:52 PM
Plenty of bites?? :lol::lol:

I've got nothing to gauge it against. I suck at fishing.

shavey
9th October 2011, 08:59 PM
I've got a spare i-phone if anybody wants to use it next weekend ;)

jaybam
9th October 2011, 09:04 PM
I've got a spare i-phone if anybody wants to use it next weekend ;)

How much ???

goughy
9th October 2011, 09:05 PM
I'll use it. That way I can average the distances from 3 different devices to get an even more accurate reading. Then all I've gotta do is hit it accurately.

PeteyD
9th October 2011, 09:08 PM
just use the moon wedge.

Yossarian
9th October 2011, 09:09 PM
They will be filming new episodes of Cheaters at PW apparently.

Daves
9th October 2011, 09:11 PM
They will be filming new episodes of Cheaters at PW apparently.

Filming it with iPhones? is that allowed?;)

PeteyD
9th October 2011, 09:11 PM
Only if the compass app is disabled and angry birds is on.

goonie
9th October 2011, 09:49 PM
It seems pretty simple to me if we are playing in a Pelican Waters comp you can't use a non-conforming device, if we are only playing an Ozgolf only comp we can set what ever rules we want as it is a social round and not used for handicap purposes.

jaybam
9th October 2011, 09:53 PM
It seems pretty simple to me if we are playing in a Pelican Waters comp you can't use a non-conforming device, if we are only playing an Ozgolf only comp we can set what ever rules we want as it is a social round and not used for handicap purposes.

So with that theory we can break what ever rules we want??

goonie
9th October 2011, 10:03 PM
So with that theory we can break what ever rules we want??

Try reading what I said again.

If it's an event where the governing bodies have no involvement (a social comp not an official comp) and additional social golf rules are set prior to the game and clear to everyone whats the problem. If we are playing in comps at Pelican Waters in conjunction with the Champs then you obviously can't break the rules of golf.

jaybam
9th October 2011, 10:05 PM
Comp or social doesnt make any difference. The rules are the rules. You cant pick and choose which ones you want to play by.

goonie
9th October 2011, 10:38 PM
Comp or social doesnt make any difference. The rules are the rules. You cant pick and choose which ones you want to play by.

I don't really care what decision is made as I have no intentions of using my phone as a DMD at the champs or breaking any of the Rules of Golf, but if it is a social only game why can't you add a rule change? I'm not saying you have to change anything but the R&A have no say over what happens during a social only game of golf, if a social group decide to make a change then surely they become the governing body for that social group.

My first social golf club had there own handicap system, because they didn't play in any club comps (probably because next to no one had an official hcp :D) and everybody was happy with the system used and it didn't affect any official handicaps, it was not a problem. When I joined my first club I actually had 2 Hcp's, one for my social club and an official one.

Shadesy
9th October 2011, 10:41 PM
I hope no one here as ever played Ambrose - a social game that has it's own rules....

rubin
9th October 2011, 10:43 PM
I hope no one here as ever played Ambrose - a social game that has it's own rules....

And the rules vary from club to club as well.

sms316
10th October 2011, 07:47 AM
Best trolling thread ever.

haysey
10th October 2011, 08:11 AM
So I can't use the compass app to tell Solarman the direction to head off to look for his golf ball then?

Marto65
10th October 2011, 09:12 AM
I won't need my iPhone, I'm going to weld a compass to my putter . ;)

shavey
10th October 2011, 10:17 AM
Same tees both day people which will at least help with club selection day to day (great for those with a smartphone app to track), speed up the round and make it a lot closer... Oh wait, DMD's :(

If I don't have the app, can I still use a pencil to the do the same thing as lead does have magnetic qualities (does it not?) and 'could' be mistaken as a compass? :razz:

And yes, I too have decided to jump on board and take the piss as this thread was getting out of hand!

AndyP
10th October 2011, 10:20 AM
I hope that has answered your question, Timah!.

timah!
10th October 2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, so there!

KristianJ
10th October 2011, 10:27 AM
On behalf of Tim, is Tapatalk use permissible at Champs? Or should I start a separate thread for the discussion/argument?

shavey
10th October 2011, 10:56 AM
On behalf of Tim, is Tapatalk use permissible at Champs? Or should I start a separate thread for the discussion/argument?

Only if you create a separate thread for signatures I'm sure AP will allow it...

Ned
10th October 2011, 05:33 PM
Not that it is god and maybe nk can check up north.

Sorry Pete, need a compass to find north and compasses aren't allowed ...............apparently

jaybam
10th October 2011, 06:01 PM
solved that problem and got an lg optimus black. No compass. Problem solved

AndyP
10th October 2011, 06:04 PM
Maybe there's a compromise.

Assuming that Pelican allows smoking on alternate holes, perhaps we can allow iPhone DMDs on every other hole.

Lobsta
10th October 2011, 07:07 PM
How about...
Anybody using a phone as a DMD has somebody else run in circles around them holding a strong magnet, rendering any compass that may be on the device useless!

I think that falls within the rules?

Or would that be using a magnet in an unusual manner and thus the runner would be d/q-ed?

Outcast
10th October 2011, 08:50 PM
Since the consensus appears to be that we can use them then, I have reloaded it to my phone and will consider using it (I'll see how my conscience dictates on the day)

BTW, is there a way to disable the compass on an iPhone 4?? And if there is, then does that make it conforming?

LarryLong
10th October 2011, 08:53 PM
Are we allowed to look at the sprinkler heads with distances on them ?

Only if you don't have a compass in your pocket.

PeteyD
10th October 2011, 08:53 PM
Are we allowed to look at the sprinkler heads with distances on them ?

Only if you can read.

popper81
10th October 2011, 08:54 PM
Since the consensus appears to be that we can use them then, I have reloaded it to my phone (http://www.ozgolf.net/#) and will consider using it (I'll see how my conscience dictates on the day)

BTW, is there a way to disable the compass on an iPhone 4?? And if there is, then does that make it conforming?

Hey Mate,
We should be right Saturday.... I have a bushnell yardage pro.. Let you know what it says for a beer, unless we are playing for sheep stations. Hahahaha..

PeteyD
10th October 2011, 08:55 PM
Consensus is the rule is kinda dumb. We should adhere to the rules of golf. But I am just a typing monkey.

Outcast
10th October 2011, 09:14 PM
Hey Mate,
We should be right Saturday.... I have a bushnell yardage pro.. Let you know what it says for a beer, unless we are playing for sheep stations. Hahahaha..

That's okay, I have a Bushnell V2 & a course guide I made from the online course guide; I more use the Golf Shot for showing me a picture and trying to figure out where I would like to avoid hitting my ball (if in fact I am able to control where the damn thing is going)

Consensus is the rule is kinda dumb. We should adhere to the rules of golf. But I am just a typing monkey.

Yep, it is a dumb rule but, I'm kinda torn about breaking a rule dumb or otherwise; whilst I have loaded it on to my phone I am not sure I will use it; doesn't really feel right

popper81
10th October 2011, 09:34 PM
That's okay, I have a Bushnell V2 & a course guide I made from the online (http://www.ozgolf.net/#) course guide; I more use the Golf Shot for showing me a picture and trying to figure out where I would like to avoid hitting my ball (if in fact I am able to control where the damn thing is going)

I have no chance, hit, hope, pray..

Outcast
10th October 2011, 09:43 PM
I have no chance, hit, hope, pray..

Awesome, I see we both subscribe to the same golfing methodology; perhaps we should start the HHPGM website

timinsa
10th October 2011, 11:07 PM
Since the consensus appears to be that we can use them then, I have reloaded it to my phone and will consider using it (I'll see how my conscience dictates on the day)

Yes. Jailbreak it. Then you can remove ANY app on the phone including the annoying ones Apple permanently put on. I have removed the compass & others from mine...still not sure if it conforms though.

Jono
11th October 2011, 12:04 AM
That's okay, I have a Bushnell V2 & a course guide I made from the online course guide;

Isn't that enough? :-s

Iain
11th October 2011, 04:49 AM
Yes. Jailbreak it. Then you can remove ANY app on the phone including the annoying ones Apple permanently put on. I have removed the compass & others from mine...still not sure if it conforms though.

Don't think it does, as you can change a faceplate on the Leupold GX-4 which removes the slope feature, but it still isn't legal for competition use.

markTHEblake
11th October 2011, 06:52 AM
The Leupold GX4 was specifically designed to be used to measure slope so it remains non conforming no matter what.

The iPhone 4 was not specifically designed for non conforming purposes. Therefore if the specific apps like compass can be removed, doing so makes the iPhone conforming.

goughy
11th October 2011, 07:04 AM
They really like to make things difficult don't they! I mean, compass, no compass, will make no difference to the device as a dmd. Seriously, they should either ban them all or allow them all. I have no compass app on my phone, but I think google maps can have a compass on it if I press the right button. So I either won't press the button or I'll just remove google maps for the champs.

PeteyD
11th October 2011, 07:12 AM
Why remove google maps?

goughy
11th October 2011, 07:15 AM
Cause it's the only app I have that has compass ability.

Just so you know, I'm not going to bother removing google maps ;)

markTHEblake
11th October 2011, 07:18 AM
Goughy,, this thread is for the sookys to get their way. Common sense discussion on rule interpretation does not belong here.

Iain
11th October 2011, 07:21 AM
The Leupold GX4 was specifically designed to be used to measure slope so it remains non conforming no matter what.

The iPhone 4 was not specifically designed for non conforming purposes. Therefore if the specific apps like compass can be removed, doing so makes the iPhone conforming.
But you can only hide the compass app (with jail breaking), not properly delete it.

Webster
11th October 2011, 07:36 AM
Blake, if your Iphone doesn't have a DMD on it, but does have the compass still installed, is there any penalty for using it to put bets on during the round or to check the weather?

Jarro
11th October 2011, 07:38 AM
It would appear so Jack.

Totally stupid really :roll:

AndyP
11th October 2011, 07:39 AM
It would appear so Jack.No, it doesn't.

Jarro
11th October 2011, 07:43 AM
No, it doesn't.

Oh, ok then.

Still pretty stupid that you can't use them

goughy
11th October 2011, 07:44 AM
Only if you're using it as a DMD is it banned jack. So, say in matchplay you're trying to use said phone to determine who's closer to the hole by lying it on the ground and counting how many 'phones' each is from the hole; then it wouldn't be allowable!

markTHEblake
11th October 2011, 08:02 AM
Incorrect goughy.

sms316
11th October 2011, 08:04 AM
Are we going to be permitted to send text messages to fellow competitors in order to sledge from the other side of the course?

Dotty
11th October 2011, 08:12 AM
Seeing that we aren't playing for sheep stations, can I use a non-conforming driver?

:)

timinsa
11th October 2011, 09:09 AM
But you can only hide the compass app (with jail breaking), not properly delete it.

That's not true Iain. Once a phone is jailbroken you can either hide apps via SBsettings or Poof. Alternatively, remove the compass & all the Apple default apps (like game centre & stocks) entirely from the phone by deleting their contents from the drive via iFile or similar just as you would delete programs from your pc. It's only a computer.

Iain
11th October 2011, 09:29 AM
Ok then. I stand corrected.

BroKar
11th October 2011, 09:48 AM
I won't be using mine at pelican, but more than likely will at hyatt and north lakes

mike
11th October 2011, 10:19 AM
If I could make a suggestion, perhaps the organisers can appoint someone to check everybody's drivers to ensure the COR is less than 0.86

Just a thought.

sms316
11th October 2011, 10:21 AM
If I could make a suggestion, perhaps the organisers can appoint someone to check everybody's drivers to ensure the COR is less than 0.86

Just a thought.
Just check dc68's driver. It will be the only one that matters.

markTHEblake
11th October 2011, 10:27 AM
I won't be using mine at pelican, but more than likely will at hyatt and north lakes

Shavey has approved use of the iphone as a DMD in the conditions of competition however good on you for agreeing to play by the rules as we all should.

ddasey
11th October 2011, 11:11 AM
Are we going to be permitted to send text messages to fellow competitors in order to sledge from the other side of the course?

:twisted:

shavey
11th October 2011, 01:11 PM

Just a thought.

A rep from the R&A has already been contacted but was unable to attend due to visa issues. They did ask that I send them all the drivers for testing when then, and only then, will the 2011 Champ be known...

Dotty
11th October 2011, 01:28 PM

Just a thought.
0.86 limit is only for iphone users. (0.83 for the rest.)

Outcast
11th October 2011, 01:49 PM

+1 but, only if we're not playing in the local comps at Coolum or North Lakes.

Does anyone have a course guide for Coolum, there isn't one online

Ned
12th October 2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/south-korean-golfer-kj-choi-bans-cameras-and-mobile-phones-at-his-namesake-invitational-event/story-e6frf3oc-1226165329295