PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grips

Outcast
1st October 2011, 09:07 PM
I put the couple of Nomad Vokey's I got the other week in play today. They have leather grips and I like them..

Anyone got any long term experience with leather grips; how do they handle moisture (we get a lot of moisture here in NQ), how do you care for them and whilst I am at it, does anyone have 13 spare ones going cheap??

MegaWatty
1st October 2011, 09:30 PM
Gamola golf have the Gripmaster wraps cheap. The moister they get, the tackier they get.

I have a large stockpile and I think Blakey does as well. I will not use anything else. No, you can't have any. ;)

oz
1st October 2011, 11:46 PM
Maintenance is just a good wipe with a damp / wet cloth, and then pat dry. Brings them back to that nice tacky feeling. Great grips.

razaar
2nd October 2011, 07:38 AM
If you like them really tacky, try wiping them down with pure turpintine (available at Bunnings) or even mineral turps. Pure turpentine is my favourite as it is natural gum.

Outcast
3rd November 2011, 11:09 PM
Gripmaster Kangaroo Swinger grips fitted to my clubs today by Tomson.. thankyou very much.

Grips supplied by Fit... thankyou also

Looking forward to having a hit tomorrow before playing with them on Saturday... God they feel fantastic

matty
4th November 2011, 07:29 AM
Just had them put on a new set. Absolutely love the grip and the feel. Can't beat leather for grips and I doubt I will use anything else again. Everything old is new again.

dave1
4th November 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm saving for set of them (kangaroo daly ones by gripmaster) had them on my old clubs which i sold (stupidly) but now will get another set - maybe xmas pressie

awesome feel I agree

dave1
4th November 2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Real-Leather-Grips-/370544633285?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item56462e65c5

ok people

this is the best deal $20 per grip thats bloody cheap as chips for these...only black though but certainly 15 dollars cheaper than anyone else

I woud grab them if i had the coin now!!

PeteyD
4th November 2011, 03:35 PM
But can you buy off someone with that name?

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2011, 03:51 PM
Check out gamola golf. About 7 dorra per grip from UK.

dave1
4th November 2011, 03:55 PM
But can you buy off someone with that name?

Um yes

playing with his grips not him

IanO
4th November 2011, 04:49 PM
I was just offered a set of Grip Master cow hide leather grips (13 grips and stitchback putter grip) for $234. Is it a good deal?

Steve57
4th November 2011, 07:58 PM

Which ones JC?
The embossed Caldwell Golf I assume?

Outcast
4th November 2011, 08:00 PM
I was just offered a set of Grip Master cow hide leather grips (13 grips and stitchback putter grip) for $234. Is it a good deal? Yes

TourFit
4th November 2011, 08:29 PM

Which ones JC?
The embossed Caldwell Golf I assume?

That is correct. They are the Classic Wraps. They are not the perforated version.

I was just offered a set of Grip Master cow hide leather grips (13 grips and stitchback putter grip) for $234. Is it a good deal?

That works out at about $16.75 per grip. What do you think?

I'll give you a clue...it's a pretty awesome price for the Montana Swingers!

Steve57
4th November 2011, 09:41 PM
That is correct. They are the Classic Wraps. They are not the perforated version.

Which ones are better?
Are the Caldwell Golf ones a good buy?
I currently use Tacki Mac Tour Wrap midsize and until now haven't been interested in anything else.
Are the leather ones easy enough to put on?

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2011, 09:57 PM
Which ones are better?Are the Caldwell Golf ones a good buy?I currently use Tacki Mac Tour Wrap midsize and until now haven't been interested in anything else.Are the leather ones easy enough to put on?The caldwells are just gripmasters with Caldwell on them. The name wears off pretty quick and you are left with gripmasters. Great grips.

Timbo
4th November 2011, 10:08 PM
I recently bought 30 of the Caldwell Gripmaster grips and a Gripmaster Montana laced putter grip from Gamola. It worked out at $238.00AUD. It may sound like a lot to spend, but I won't need to buy grips for years. They also blow on and off with an air compressor, so they're easy to install/remove.

Daves
4th November 2011, 10:10 PM
Which ones are better?
Are the Caldwell Golf ones a good buy?
I currently use Tacki Mac Tour Wrap midsize and until now haven't been interested in anything else.
Are the leather ones easy enough to put on?

Group Buy?

Steve57
4th November 2011, 10:15 PM
Group Buy?

I'm certainly thinking about getting them.
Will let you know on Monday.

simmsy
4th November 2011, 10:19 PM
The Gamola ones are best grip out there at dbl their price. I'll be grabbing another set soonish.

Yossarian
4th November 2011, 10:29 PM
Group Buy?

Megawatty is keen to organise.

timah!
4th November 2011, 10:30 PM
Megawatty is keen to organise.

Ready for 2012?

timinsa
4th November 2011, 11:12 PM
I just ordered 30 Caldwells from the UK site. $6.50 a pop. Bloody bargain. Waiting for delivery.

Yossarian
5th November 2011, 01:24 PM
Ready for 2012?

Two months isn't bad at all.

MegaWatty
5th November 2011, 01:29 PM
GGF!

davepuppies
5th November 2011, 08:22 PM
Makes me want to try some leather grips....

I have used tour wrap cords for years as they gave me most grip..... maybe the takiness from the leather will be better?

MegaWatty
6th November 2011, 09:37 AM
Tackiness is amazing. The damper they get, the tackier they get.

Ferrins
6th November 2011, 09:40 AM
I have always used leather grips on my tennis rackets, maybe you should fill one of your pockets with sawdust and rub that on your grip. Otherwise just shake your head and some should fall out.

dave1
6th November 2011, 12:12 PM
Lol gold

IanO
8th November 2011, 08:27 AM
I just bought the GripMaster Leather grips from Gamola Golf and the postage costs were covered by them not charging me VAT. Way to go Gamola

Minor_Threat
3rd January 2012, 07:24 PM
Do you fellow leather grip users get black hands from using these grips?

idgolfguy
3rd January 2012, 07:30 PM
Yes, thought they would get better as time went on but still leave marks.

Johnny Canuck
3rd January 2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, thought they would get better as time went on but still leave marks.I don't from mine, but I only have them on 3 clubs. Id, I don't think they are the reason you have black hands. I am thinking it has something to do with genetics.

idgolfguy
3rd January 2012, 07:38 PM
The palms are still white though.

I have them on my irons.

dave1
3rd January 2012, 07:44 PM
I have gripmaster leather grips (kangaroo daly ones)

funny thing was I sold my old MP 52's with them on in stupid moment (add youre own jokes please!)n

Alas the new owner liked the clubs but not the grips them so I got them back after about 3 months and will never use anything else again

looking for some more soon to do hybrid and driver - has to be the kangaroo ones though

Outcast
3rd January 2012, 07:45 PM

Err, no!

Haven't experienced this problem at all

matty
3rd January 2012, 07:57 PM
Not here.

dave1
3rd January 2012, 08:02 PM
They do need regular cleaning with warm soapy water

the grit will build up its probably the dirt on them thats causing the black hands not the grips themselves

idgolfguy
3rd January 2012, 08:03 PM
They left black marks first time out of the packet.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2012, 08:06 PM
Yes. The caldwell golf gripmasters must have a leather dye in them and it comes off very easily.

careful when wearing your summer whites.

dave1
3rd January 2012, 08:07 PM
They left black marks first time out of the packet.

what colour are yours? Mine are tan colour J Daly ones

same colour Ogilvy was using

mine didnt leave any marks on my hands when new or old

Peter
3rd January 2012, 08:19 PM
No marks.

Dave1, do they stay tacky if you wash them with soap?

Dotty
3rd January 2012, 08:34 PM
The palms are still white though.

That's from something else.

dave1
3rd January 2012, 08:56 PM
No marks.

Dave1, do they stay tacky if you wash them with soap?

if anything adds tackiness

as someone else said a bit of moistureon them whilkeplaying adds tackiness

leather gets slippery when its bone dry

I also use some dubbin on mine about once a month (same stuff you put on shoes)

leather needs taking care of but its worth it

Minor_Threat
3rd January 2012, 09:31 PM
Its definitely not grit / dirt. These are only 2 rounds old. Its no big deal, I was just curious about others experiences.

dave1
3rd January 2012, 10:45 PM
Its definitely not grit / dirt. These are only 2 rounds old. Its no big deal, I was just curious about others experiences.

which model of the gripmaster did you get

MegaWatty
3rd January 2012, 10:52 PM
Yup. As per Blakey. The Caldwell ones do.

Don't use soap on them! You'll kill off the coating on them!

Just a damp towel. Wipe on. Let dry. Tacky as bro!

dave1
4th January 2012, 12:00 AM
Yup. As per Blakey. The Caldwell ones do.

Don't use soap on them! You'll kill off the coating on them!

Just a damp towel. Wipe on. Let dry. Tacky as bro!

ok the kangaroo ones are smooth

do the caldwell ones have ripples or anything

I have been using very lite soapy water (enviro clean stuff for dishes (misus is greeny that hardly sudds up at all)

only use smidgen of that then dry...abount once a month use small amount of dubbin (leather softner used for shoes)

markTHEblake
4th January 2012, 12:34 AM
Dave1- you are a goose! :-)

Gripmaster themselves say water only. .anything else contaminated the special properties they created in the grips.

Minor_Threat
4th January 2012, 07:50 AM
Yup. As per Blakey. The Caldwell ones do. Don't use soap on them! You'll kill off the coating on them!Just a damp towel. Wipe on. Let dry. Tacky as bro!Sweet Mega thank you.How often to you give them a wipe down?

Daves
29th February 2012, 10:18 AM
I recently bought some Caldwells from Gamolas and they arrived yesterday. I haven't put them on before, so I tried one on a spare driver shaft I had sitting around that had a few wraps of tape on it. A real struggle, but some lube helped a lot. I had some solvent spray so used that. I am thinking a can of Hairspray is going to be very useful to have for this job. I was able to blow the grip back off relatively easy, but would think it won't be near so easy once they have been on for a while. Unfortunately, they don't sell them in Midsize, so am going to have try an get as much as tape as possible under them if I can. I am hoping 2 wraps is going to be enough.

idgolfguy
29th February 2012, 10:44 AM
Sweet Mega thank you.How often to you give them a wipe down? I just wet the towel I play with on the day, wipe them the first time I use the club for the day. One wipe is all it takes.

MegaWatty
29th February 2012, 11:13 AM
I recently bought some Caldwells from Gamolas and they arrived yesterday. I haven't put them on before, so I tried one on a spare driver shaft I had sitting around that had a few wraps of tape on it. A real struggle, but some lube helped a lot. I had some solvent spray so used that. I am thinking a can of Hairspray is going to be very useful to have for this job. I was able to blow the grip back off relatively easy, but would think it won't be near so easy once they have been on for a while. Unfortunately, they don't sell them in Midsize, so am going to have try an get as much as tape as possible under them if I can. I am hoping 2 wraps is going to be enough. The midsize have sold out. The maximum recommended is two wraps. I used a single layer and hair spray with air on Saturday night with no issues at all. All irons worked perfectly.

Peter
29th February 2012, 11:31 AM
I have a midsize Gripmaster that I want to move to another club.

Local pro tried it and said it was too hard - what should I try? Air?

simmsy
29th February 2012, 11:35 AM
Another club fitter.
Speak with tourfit

Minor_Threat
29th February 2012, 11:46 AM
I got my Gamolas on with 3 papers.

Used double sided tape and lots of petrol. It was very tough going, but the are on and working well.

idgolfguy
29th February 2012, 11:48 AM
Hairspray smells nicer.

MegaWatty
29th February 2012, 12:18 PM
I have a midsize Gripmaster that I want to move to another club.Local pro tried it and said it was too hard - what should I try? Air? How was it installed originally?

Peter
29th February 2012, 12:35 PM
No idea unfortunately.

Tomson
29th February 2012, 01:55 PM
The best for leather grips is glue.

IanO
29th February 2012, 04:17 PM
I have 3 tapes under my Gripmasters and used hairspray. It was a battle but it worked.

Peter
20th March 2012, 06:32 PM
Right, have now tried 2 other guys and both have said they can't remove the grip without destroying it.

What's the best method for getting this thing off?

Webster
20th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Stanley knife

markTHEblake
20th March 2012, 06:49 PM
Right, have now tried 2 other guys and both have said they can't remove the grip without destroying it.
Dont use double sided tape in the first place, or glue

and just blow em off on.

timinsa
20th March 2012, 10:18 PM

Find someone with the tools & nous to do the job. It can be a bit of work but it's by no means impossible.

Minor_Threat
21st March 2012, 07:10 AM
You might need the old school method of a syringe and petrol. Then inject under grip and work the petrol around to lubricate.

TourFit
21st March 2012, 12:23 PM
The problem with that method on a two piece wrap grip is if you get the solvent between the layers!

Try injecting some solvent through the end cap and into the shaft, and gently use some air to blow it under the bottom (rubber) layer. Then use more air to slide it off. Be careful not to twist the grip too much as the layering may well loosen.

Minor_Threat
21st March 2012, 03:44 PM
That is possible if you havent done it before. If your familiar with this technique, you can tell if the needle is positioned correctly.

dave1
21st March 2012, 05:16 PM
Pro suggested that gripmasters should be softened before going on.

Dubbin was easy enough to apply and easy to go on then.

Minor_Threat
21st March 2012, 06:00 PM
Pro suggested that gripmasters should be softened before going on.Dubbin was easy enough to apply and easy to go on then. The Caldwell leather grips I have are wrapped over a rubber layer. So softening the leather with Dubbin, will not improve the flexibility of the grip for installation.Gripmasters may be different, but I doubt it.

TourFit
21st March 2012, 06:13 PM
They are the same grip. (Caldwell just gets embossed into the leather before wrapping around the rubber underlisting)

It can help if you use a little glue (I use Bostik Rubber Cement) on the shaft, and heat the glue/shaft end, and the lower section of the grip, gently with a hairdryer or a heat gun. Just makes the rubber underlisting a little more pliable.

And a MUST with these grips is to ensure that the shaft end has a little tape around the perimeter to make sure that it doesn't slice the inside of the grip when it goes on.

dave1
22nd March 2012, 01:34 AM
Good points.Our pro cut one of mine.

The dubbin was on the inside not outside off the grip.

Minor_Threat
22nd March 2012, 06:51 AM
Good points.Our pro cut one of mine.The dubbin was on the inside not outside off the grip. So the Dubbin was used as a lubricant, rather than a softener?

dave1
23rd March 2012, 12:28 AM
So the Dubbin was used as a lubricant, rather than a softener? Bit of both probably - it workedOddly the best non petroleum lub would be toothpasteThat would work also.

markTHEblake
30th April 2013, 08:17 PM
I have had the Caldwell Gripmaster (http://www.thegripmaster.com) for just on 3 years now, and some of the grips seem to have lost their tackiness, particularly driver and the irons which I used the most (for practice). Wetting them does activate a tiny bit but it doesn't last. Not that they are unusable or anything, in this state they are still better than rubber. Obviously this is due to oils from sweaty hands getting into the leather and I have probably only wiped them with a wet towel 2 or 3 times in that three years, and that is probably not enough.

I emailed Gripmaster to ask what can be done about this and Bruce McConchie (http://www.thegripmaster.com/golf_grips_wizards.html) (Mr Gripmaster himself) called me back and he was quite happy to have a long chat. The main points are

- the Caldwell Golf grips were a special order they did for a company that had a revolutionary idea for a new driver, many years ago. One of the features was that it had a white head!. Anyhow after supplying the grips to them nothing was heard about Caldwell since, and they were just as surprised as anyone when they started popping up on ebay for a lot less than what they were bought for. I said to Bruce that given the following created by cheapskates buying these Caldwell ones that otherwise wouldnt have has probably resulted in a huge marketing win for them, perhaps more than John Daly :-)

- they have made some improvements to their grip leather treatments since that time, plus they now also do the straight grips instead of the wrap, and obviously the different leathers too. I think he said that every club in his bag has a different style of grip/leather.

- Bruce said that when he is playing, he always carries a wet towel, and will give the odd grip a wipe over if he has the chance, like waiting at a par 3, and some of his grips have been in use for 8 years and still as good as new. I got this as the most important thing to do to keep them going for ever, especially in our humid climate. I noticed that Steve Williams gave his rubber grips a thorough wipe with the towel after every shot when in he masters, and he does not even pay for his own grips!

p.s. I already tried white vinegar on them, and didn't do anything.

Iain
15th May 2014, 05:13 AM
Just thought I'd revive an old thread.

Thinking about trying some leather grips, is everyone still happy with them that's using them? I imagine they'd be no good if you're changing clubs regularly? Or do they blow on and off easily?

Are they standard size? I see another company, best grips are a larger size/less taper?

Anyone got a couple I can buy to try?

MegaWatty
15th May 2014, 06:28 AM
Still love mine.

Easy enough to blow on/off with a few tweaks.

I have mid size with taper.

If we have another game shortly, you can check them out.

Iain
15th May 2014, 06:36 AM
Still love mine.

Easy enough to blow on/off with a few tweaks.

I have mid size with taper.

If we have another game shortly, you can check them out.

Thanks, I didn't even notice them on Monday. Are they gripmasters?

markTHEblake
15th May 2014, 07:21 AM
I use gripmaster and I think once my local club guy couldn't blow one off but it was old anyway. He says they are a bit harder but I also don't use any tape layers.

Daves
15th May 2014, 07:35 AM
I noticed yesterday that Reddie Bay Pro Shop are now stocking Gripmasters. They had a selection of Putter Grips on display, including a fat grip style that, I gather from the website, are new.

MegaWatty
15th May 2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks, I didn't even notice them on Monday. Are they gripmasters?

They are Gripmaster wraps.

pt73
15th May 2014, 08:47 AM
I've been using Gripmasters (mainly Caldwells) for 4 years and I won't be changing any time soon.

simmsy
15th May 2014, 03:57 PM
Still lovin mine. Will be a sad day if I ever have to swap from Gripmasters.

Outcast
15th May 2014, 06:55 PM
I miss mine; they went with a set of clubs I sold & I can't afford to put them on the new clubs :(

I loved them & they saved me a small fortune in gloves coz I found I didn't need to use one anymore

Icestorm959
15th May 2014, 09:14 PM
Gripmasters are so expensive... they need to do another Caldwell run...

MegaWatty
15th May 2014, 09:21 PM
Gripmasters are so expensive... they need to do another Caldwell run...

Best. Deal. Ever.

Iain
21st May 2014, 05:33 AM
Ok, pretty sure I'll be getting some, had a hit of one of Blake's irons at Arundel, couldn't believe how tacky they were.

MegaWatty
21st May 2014, 05:40 AM
Nice eh?

Iain
21st May 2014, 08:06 AM
Yep, couldn't believe how tacky they were. Now just to mess around with some midsize grips to see what they're like before committing to a full set.