PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y How to club repair/building videos

Progolfgear
29th September 2011, 09:16 PM
Over the next few weeks I plan to do a series of instructional videos to whack on youtube, the main reason for doing so is to support those who support me by buying my club building supplies.

My question to you lot, are there any specific topics you would like to see covered? Obviously I realise there are oodles of how to videos on youtube, but are there any topics which havn't been covered?

Ned
29th September 2011, 09:20 PM
How to steal someone's Mitchell Loft/Lie set up out of their workshop!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

kingslayer33
29th September 2011, 09:23 PM
That would be handy knowledge to have.

Is this Tomson's gear you have lined up NK?

Yossarian
29th September 2011, 09:25 PM
How to get tourfit to talk less and build more.

Ned
29th September 2011, 09:25 PM
Shyte no, I don't have a death wish.

rodders
29th September 2011, 09:50 PM
Lengthening clubs, adding weight and counter weighting, reducing ferrule size. I have a fair idea how to do this now but do so by screwing up heaps in the processs!

Lobsta
29th September 2011, 10:02 PM
Extending clubs is something that I would like to know how to do

Eldrick
29th September 2011, 10:35 PM
Over the next few weeks I plan to do a series of instructional videos to whack on youtube, the main reason for doing so is to support those who support me by buying my club building supplies.

My question to you lot, are there any specific topics you would like to see covered? Obviously I realise there are oodles of how to videos on youtube, but are there any topics which havn't been covered?

do one on how to regrip with a compressor
most of the others on YouTube are the solvent etc

Progolfgear
29th September 2011, 10:41 PM
do one on how to regrip with a compressor
most of the others on YouTube are the solvent etc

To be honest, I wouldn't be putting just any grip on without using any form of adhesive (perhaps on a putter, but certainly not on a club that is used with a proper swing). The only grips I would be putting on with air would be the grips that are actually designed to be installed this way.

chappy1970
30th September 2011, 10:17 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't be putting just any grip on without using any form of adhesive (perhaps on a putter, but certainly not on a club that is used with a proper swing). The only grips I would be putting on with air would be the grips that are actually designed to be installed this way.

I find that an interesting position to take Pro. I am merely a club building hobbist, certainly not an expert like yourself, but have not used adhesive on any grip for any club for a number of years. This for both myself and other Vic Ozgoflers that I have done work for and have never (not once) had an issue with grips moving and I don't use adhesive. Just a layer or 3 (personal preference) of masking tape, small amount of lubricant to get the grip on and then compressed air. Voila.

I know others on this forum also used the above method, so I'd like to understand the benefit of using any sort of adhesive over tape and air.

Chappy

IanO
30th September 2011, 10:53 AM
I agree with Chappy!

I have recently started doing my own grips (and a couple of others) without any glues and I have not once had a grip move or even feel like moving.

virge666
30th September 2011, 01:01 PM
Yep - i am with Chappy and Ian.

You do not need adhesive unless you are reusing old grips that have already cured. And in that case all you need is a quick spray of hairspray.

It is not required... I repeat - not required.

timinsa
30th September 2011, 01:13 PM
I use a dollop of gum rubber solution or hairspray. Some of the compound grips can twist at the butt end if you grip near the end of the shaft all time.

Progolfgear
30th September 2011, 01:19 PM
I use adhesive to be sure to be sure. I know there are quite a few people around who don't use glues anymore, but I want a 100% satisfaction rate from my customers, 99.9% is not good enough. Using glue; the cost is negligable, it is no more time consuming and it guarantees the grip will not move.

As far as I am aware, there are no reputable club manufacturers using the 'blow on' method for their clubs either...

timinsa
30th September 2011, 01:58 PM
Loads do actually.
The still put grip tape under them but don't use any solvents.

Progolfgear
30th September 2011, 02:04 PM
Which companies? I can tell you Titleist/vokey/sc, Callaway/odyssey, Taylormade, Srixon, Cleveland, Bridgestone, Ping, Cobra and Wilson Staff are all still using traditional methods. The day that these companies stop using glues for their grips is the day my job becomes a whole lot easier when re-gripping, lengthening/shortening etc!

Loads do actually.
The still put grip tape under them but don't use any solvents.

timinsa
30th September 2011, 03:00 PM
I didn't say they don't use glue. They still use glue impregnated tape..they just blow the grips on rather than use the solvent method. Cheaper & cleaner. I know of one US based OEM club assembler who does all his factory consignment work this way.

Captain Nemo
30th September 2011, 03:05 PM
I find that an interesting position to take Pro. I am merely a club building hobbist, certainly not an expert like yourself, but have not used adhesive on any grip for any club for a number of years. This for both myself and other Vic Ozgoflers that I have done work for and have never (not once) had an issue with grips moving and I don't use adhesive. Just a layer or 3 (personal preference) of masking tape, small amount of lubricant to get the grip on and then compressed air. Voila.

I know others on this forum also used the above method, so I'd like to understand the benefit of using any sort of adhesive over tape and air.

Chappy

+1, me neither, not one of mine has slipped/twisted.
I do use 1 or 2 layers of grip tape underneath.

Puji
1st October 2011, 01:53 PM
i just removed a tour wrap 2G without any tools. just my hands and some windex.

Windex is an awesome solvent for about 5 seconds so you need to act real quick.

I just rolled down the grip 2 or 3" then shover a super long plastic tee into the grip to let the windex get down there. and repeated on a couple sides (real quick) and then YANKEd the thing off. worked the first time and took 1 minute.

put the grip on the club it needed to go on.

very satisfying.

rodders
1st October 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm with Chappy - only use compressed air on grips and done plenty of them.

Never had one slip.