PDA

View Full Version : The longer hosel on tour version woods - aids performance?

TheTrueReview
26th September 2011, 09:59 PM
A lot of the tour version woods have a longer hosel than the non-tour version. I've been wondering - does the longer hosel markedly (or otherwise) enhance the woods' performance?

If so, is it something that us club golfers would notice?

Interested in your thoughts & experiences.

timinsa
26th September 2011, 10:27 PM
It's so they can alter the loft/lie if required.

virge666
26th September 2011, 10:46 PM

Exactly. And easier to change shafts.

Jarro
27th September 2011, 05:54 AM
I wondered the same thing when i bought the Cally FT TH driver off Perci ?

TheTrueReview
27th September 2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks. I thought so. Although a few of us here tinker with lofts & lie with irons and swing weights with woods, I'm guessing that few adjust the loft & lie of their woods? Anyone?

markTHEblake
27th September 2011, 07:22 AM
Longer hosels means more weight on the heel side, so more hooky?

just
27th September 2011, 07:29 AM
More slicey I would have thought blakey? Anyway more weight in hosel means less discretionary weight to move around and change cog.

timah!
27th September 2011, 07:50 AM
It's all over-compensating...I bet Tiger never needed a longer hosel...

BrisVegas
27th September 2011, 08:28 AM
It's all over-compensating...I bet Tiger never needed a longer hosel...

Tiger needed to stick with the shorter shaft. His driving woes were due to his quest for length. It's Phil's fault.

TheTrueReview
27th September 2011, 10:47 AM
Well given the responses that might pose the question, do those that don't have 'tour issue' wood(s) feel less equipped to score well?

markTHEblake
27th September 2011, 06:22 PM
More slicey I would have thought blakey? More weight in the hosel moves the COG towards the heel. Thus a centre hit is hooky. check any of the 'draw' clubs, they are all heel weighted.

virge666
27th September 2011, 06:54 PM
Longer hosels means more weight on the heel side, so more hooky?

No - it folds around the shaft - so no influence.

More slicey I would have thought blakey? Anyway more weight in hosel means less discretionary weight to move around and change cog.

Heel = draw bias. Better players prefer this as the bad shot will be in the heel and not the toe... drivers that you hit in the toe need to be thrown away.

Well given the responses that might pose the question, do those that don't have 'tour issue' wood(s) feel less equipped to score well?

No. Tour issue woods are usually just less spin.

More weight in the hosel moves the COG towards the heel. Thus a centre hit is hooky. check any of the 'draw' clubs, they are all heel weighted.

Exactly, but you cant beat a closed face for hookiness.

TheTrueReview
27th September 2011, 10:03 PM
Kudos Virge. It's a bit clearer now.

Captain Nemo
27th September 2011, 10:24 PM
Serious question, does it have any bearing on control as there is more of the shaft in/ deeper in the head?

timinsa
27th September 2011, 10:29 PM
It will make the shaft play fractionally firmer.

Captain Nemo
27th September 2011, 10:31 PM
Ta, that's what I thought.
I reckon that's why the old VR Tour drivers felt so good!

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2011, 10:57 PM
It will make the shaft play fractionally firmer.

It actually depends entirely on the BBGM. Many long hosels start at a height the standard version hosel does (i.e. SFTP) and simply have a deeper shaft insertion which makes zero difference to stiffness. Some can even be plugged higher (extra insertion depth because of long hosel so it can be shortened and still be enough) and the shaft actually plays softer.

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2011, 11:08 PM
Longer hosels are a case by case basis. Mostly they are primarily to make adjustments easier as already said but in some cases are a higher COG model than the standard head leading to lower spin. The SFTP Long Neck would be a prime example from all reports.

The true beauty of tour issue if you are so inclined is that it is possible to know the exact weight, loft, lie and F.A. and choose as such. Knowing your head is without fail open say 2* and not playing a full degree or more over the marked loft can be the difference between a gamer and a quick ho.

Umpteen manaufacturers mark driver lofts a full degree and more under what they really are. Ping is notorious for it - their mantra is that many golfers are too macho to play the loft needed so they compensate this. So sad too bad for the guy that actually knows what he needs. Order a driver with the digi loft custom option from Ping at say 9* asked for and the chances are almost zero your head will be marked 9, you will get the 7.5* marked. This is using the G10, V2 or G15 as an example. G10 especially as they sold it freely retail, but quite a few lucked in on the rare 7.5's in other models after chasing certain true lofts.

The little bit of extra metal in a longer hosel will make basically zero difference directionally.

You have to know your tour issued makes and models. Some are identical (Most Titty) to off the shelf but some differ dramatically such as the 282 Superquad and 2007 V1 TP Burner among numerous others.