PDA

View Full Version : 2011 brownlow medal

rubin
26th September 2011, 09:46 PM
Nothing flashy. Who's ur pick.

For me - Juddy will poll well, but I'm tipping his sidekick Murphy for the win.

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 09:49 PM
Murphy

AndyP
26th September 2011, 09:50 PM
Not Mitchell. :(

Yossarian
26th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Goodes or pendles.

Yossarian
26th September 2011, 09:59 PM
I like that we started this when they are up to round 15.

rubin
26th September 2011, 09:59 PM
Pendelbury has nooooo chance.

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:00 PM
Swan, only cos every time he gets a vote I see his lady's cleavage

Yossarian
26th September 2011, 10:03 PM

Sitting on the same no of votes as murphy atm.

Dazza
26th September 2011, 10:05 PM
Go Aker!

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:06 PM
I don't know why I'm watching this shit.

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:09 PM
I don't know why I'm watching this shit. Is it because you don't have to work tomorrow??

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:16 PM
C'mon nicky d

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:21 PM
Thank ****, Judd isn't going to win it.

Is Swan getting sympathy votes for missing out last time?

rubin
26th September 2011, 10:23 PM
I reckon. I didnt realize that swanny played so well

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:23 PM
Swan's looking good isn't he, just like the rest of his mug mates.... F*<|%n Collingwood!!

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:25 PM
Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrkkkkkkk!

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:26 PM
Naughty boys

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:27 PM
Did Mitchell actually miss any games??

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:32 PM
Did Mitchell actually miss any games??Not for the report.

He didn't play Rd 23, but played well in Rd 24 against GC. Ablett will probably get the 3 votes there though.

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:32 PM
Swan, only cos every time he gets a vote I see his lady's cleavage They are going to fall out very shortly...

Lagerlover
26th September 2011, 10:40 PM
Bugga

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Is Swan gay? Give your woman some loving, man.

I saw GCS have two players get votes in losses at least twice. More umpire sympathy.

kingslayer33
26th September 2011, 10:45 PM
I saw GCS have two players get votes in losses at least twice. More umpire sympathy. Usual AFL conspiracy. Just watch the giants poll votes next year.

AndyP
26th September 2011, 10:48 PM
Get your money on a Judd-Ablett quinella next year. They need to make up for Judd not getting enough votes this year, and imagine how many votes Ablett will get with a few more wins or even getting within 5 goals of teams

kingslayer33
26th September 2011, 10:59 PM
Is it just me or does Bruce constantly saying Juddy this or Swanny that, grate like fingernails on a blackboard?

AndyP
26th September 2011, 11:17 PM
Commentators saying "Stevie J" gives me the shits.

Yossarian
26th September 2011, 11:54 PM

Murphy went well.

rubin
27th September 2011, 12:08 AM
Just quietly

Thats ****ed.

Yossarian
27th September 2011, 12:18 AM
Why? Swan was pretty good all year.

rubin
27th September 2011, 12:20 AM
Why? Swan was pretty good all year.

IMO "pretty good" doesn't warrant a brownlow. He was far from the best player for the season.

Yossarian
27th September 2011, 12:22 AM
Who was the best player?

rubin
27th September 2011, 12:28 AM
Pick from:
Murphy
Goodes
Judd
Pendelbury (I'll give u that one)
Cox
Johnson
Bartell
Selwood

bergsey
27th September 2011, 12:28 AM
f**k Nick Maxwell gives me the sh*ts......

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2011, 12:30 AM
Swan was awesome this year. He deserved it. Missed a game and still lead the league in disposals by 31.

His team is in the finals, I think he did his job.

Yossarian
27th September 2011, 12:32 AM
Pick from:
Murphy
Goodes
Judd
Pendelbury (I'll give u that one)
Cox
Johnson
Bartell
Selwood

Cox? Seriously... Ok
Bartel with one L had a pretty good year which by your standards isn't enough.
Steve Johnson?? ok step away from whatever we are smoking.
Judd had an ok year, lot of wasted possession.
Joel Selwood who was suspended for 3 or 4 weeks deserved to win it?

Pendles who had a better count than Murphy you will give me?? How generous!

f**k Nick Maxwell gives me the sh*ts......

This

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2011, 12:38 AM
Bartel had a very average year, by his or anyone's standards.

Johnson had about 4 awesome weeks.

Selwood copped a 4 games suspension.

You've just proven your lack of AFL knowledge.

Minor_Threat
27th September 2011, 06:57 AM
Swan was awesome this year. He deserved it. Missed a game and still lead the league in disposals by 31.His team is in the finals, I think he did his job.I may be wrong, but I think you will find Matty Boyd topped the league for disposals. Happy to be corrected though.. ;)

PerryGroves
27th September 2011, 08:06 AM
I held a bet on the Brownlow for a guy at work who has a "system". Needless to say I collected, hence my first venture into an AFL thread.

Q. When they talk about disposals, does kicking it to the opposition count? if so, why not record successful disposals?

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2011, 08:21 AM
I should have clued in that Footywire was giving me incorrect stats when it said he played 23 games. He only played 21, which caused major Dream Team drama.

I was surprised that Boyd didn't poll better. It is tough on a losing squad, unless you are The Golden Child Ablett. Scott Thompson had a huge year and hardly got votes.

I will agree with Rubin in that Cox had a very good year, but unfortunately, the Brownlow is a midfielders award.

Minor_Threat
27th September 2011, 08:22 AM
Yes PG all disposals are counted whether they are to a team mate or not.

It is probably a good idea, there would however be a lot of 'grey' areas in regards to disposal success in the close/tight situations.

Yossarian
27th September 2011, 08:58 AM
They do recorded efficiency by foot don't they?
Having watched every eagles game for the year Cox polled as he should have IMO.

Boyd was a surprising omission from rubins list.

Bruce
27th September 2011, 09:09 AM
Bartel had a very average year, by his or anyone's standards.
You've just proven your lack of AFL knowledge.

Bartel was still better than at least 85% of all other players.

Lagerlover
27th September 2011, 09:09 AM
Yes PG all disposals are counted whether they are to a team mate or not.It is probably a good idea, there would however be a lot of 'grey' areas in regards to disposal success in the close/tight situations. If they counted all disposals, the port power defender kicking in after a behind would be the leagues leading scorer.... might shine a little ray of light at their presentation nights.

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2011, 09:19 AM
Bartel was still better than at least 85% of all other players. He also played up the ground a fair bit, which wouldn't have helped him last night.

AndyP
27th September 2011, 09:44 AM
Port Adelaide - 24 votes
Gary Ablett - 23 votes

kpac
27th September 2011, 11:15 AM
Commentators saying "Stevie J" gives me the shits.

That does shit me! but not as much as Bruce continually calling Roberts Thompson "L.R.T." now that does my head in!!

Goldy
27th September 2011, 11:17 AM
And whilst we're on the subject of "Bruce", when he told as at the start he was excited, was I the only one who did a little bit of sick in their mouth?

Shadesy
27th September 2011, 11:54 AM
Swan's start of the year was amazing, but people tend to forget the first few rounds. He kicked a few bags of 4 goals by memory, and was leading the ABC footballer of the year with 4 straight BOG performances. I was surprised he polled so well in the second half of the year, thought Pendlebury shaded him there.

Murphy polled in 13 games, which is very very good, but a lot of 1 vote games to end up with 19.

I backed Matt Priddis to finish top 5, which he didn't quite do, his last 6 weeks he didn't poll a vote, and I think thats testament to his in and under style.

I Backed Sam Mitchell to lead the votes, I'm kinda glad he didn't it was a soft suspension, and I would hate for him to win it.

Was a good count I thought!

TR66
27th September 2011, 12:03 PM
Geez Swans Missus hoots are beauts aren't they. He will probably celebrate with another tatoo.

Spewin for Sammy Mitchell, as Shadesy said the suspension was soft as shite. I think this will bring in a long overdue rule change.

AndyP
27th September 2011, 12:04 PM
Mitchell didn't get a suspension because of good behaviour (fair player); it was a reprimand.

Shadesy
27th September 2011, 12:30 PM
Mitchell didn't get a suspension because of good behaviour (fair player); it was a reprimand.

Sorry Andy, You are Correct, I said Suspension, but he accepted the Reprimand but played the next week.

Still it was soft and I'm glad he didn't lead because of it.

markTHEblake
27th September 2011, 01:14 PM
I think this will bring in a long overdue rule change.Why? nothing new has happened here, and he wouldnt have won it anyway.

kpac
27th September 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm a bit miffed that swan won in the end... not because he's not one of the best players in the game: just because looking back at the last 2 seasons, if swan didn't play better and standout more last year then i give up. Last year he was clearly the dominant player in a lot of the pies games, and always in the mix. This season he's not stood out as much imo. It begs the question about how the umpires vote.. Last year Judd got too many vote (i doubt anyone disagrees besides him) he was very good but collecting 2 and 3 points in the loosing side got a little bit rich after the first few rounds. And last year Swan SHOULD have got more votes, seems even on his best day they'd find someone else for 3... I just have to think that the umpires have a littl bit of a pre-concieved vote correction happening.

As a side note: after round 22 the bookies had judd at $1.60ish and settled early on a few punters (ie some early season punters put big money on Judd at $4.50+ and were offered $3+ to settle around round 22. Well i'm not sure we'll see the likes of that again! how judd was a $1.60 is beyond me. He was probably rightfully favourite, but it was hardly a foregone conclusion!

Yossarian
27th September 2011, 02:32 PM
I was always confused by Judd as favourite.

3oneday
27th September 2011, 02:36 PM
Bookies have been doing that a lot recently, it's a handy bit of free advertising and worth much more than what they paid out I would say.

LeftyHoges
27th September 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm a bit miffed that swan won in the end... not because he's not one of the best players in the game: just because looking back at the last 2 seasons, if swan didn't play better and standout more last year then i give up. Last year he was clearly the dominant player in a lot of the pies games, and always in the mix. This season he's not stood out as much imo. It begs the question about how the umpires vote.. Last year Judd got too many vote (i doubt anyone disagrees besides him) he was very good but collecting 2 and 3 points in the losing side got a little bit rich after the first few rounds. And last year Swan SHOULD have got more votes, seems even on his best day they'd find someone else for 3... I just have to think that the umpires have a littl bit of a pre-concieved vote correction happening.

Couldn't agree more. While I still think Judd was a marginally better player than Swan last year (can me if you want, you wont change my opinion) I think this year they made damn sure it wasn't going to happen again even though Judd was definitely the better player. Pendlebury had a better second half than Swan and got about 10 votes to Swan's 20ish. The Brownlow to me is now about as credible as the FedEx Cup. Although it was good to see Goodes get nowhere near it. Very overrated.

I was always confused by Judd as favourite.

Why? He was the best player in the AFL this year without question in my mind. I can guarantee you sure as shit that Swan DID NOT deserve 34 votes this year if he only racked up 24ish last year (too lazy to look up actual votes but it was around this). Swan was a FAR better player last year.

My OPINION: Cox should have received more, Judd more, Priddis about right, Goodes right, Pendlebury more, Swan less, Mitchell WTF?!?!?!, Boyd more, Ablett about right (These two, especially Boyd, should have been closer to winning it. I don't care what you say, you definitely can be the best player on the ground in a losing side. Usually it would take 30+ possesions, a few goals / big tackles / marks / spoils etc. but it can be done).

A few interesting things from the herald Sun website:

* BULLDOG skipper Matthew Boyd had a lazy 45 touches and 24 contested possessions against Fremantle in Round 5 - racking up 162 SuperCoach points - but could not manage a single vote. Robert Murphy had just 45 SuperCoach points and got two votes that night. Kepler Bradley got the three for 16 disposals and four goals.
* CHRIS Judd and Sam Mitchell were surprisingly slow out of the box. Both failed to attract a vote in Round 1 even though Judd lifted Carlton to a come-from-behind win against Richmond and Mitchell picked up 38 touches against the Crows.

* STEPHEN Hill may have received the luckiest vote of the year in Round 9, when he had just 10 touches against Port Adelaide. Skipper Matthew Pavlich was ignored after notching 24 disposals and two goals.

* THE introduction of the sub rule meant that ruckmen received greater playing time this year. While West Coast's Dean Cox (18 votes) could not match the efforts of the last two winning dinosaurs Scott Wynd (1992) and Jim Stynes (1991), he did became the first ruckman to score more than 15 votes since Matthew Allan polled 20 votes in 1999.

WBennett
27th September 2011, 08:44 PM
Tough crowd to please.

Swan was excellent early, went off the boil when playing injured mid season, had a fortnight off in Arizona, came back not sore and fresh, and dominated clearances and possessions for the No 1 team in the competition for the back end of the year. What more do you want him to do?

Judd may have been harshly marked, but he won a brownlow he barely deserved last year, so these things balance out.

AndyP
28th September 2011, 08:39 AM
The AFL are reviewing the criteria for Brownlow eligibility.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/brownlow-shakeup-20110927-1kvfv.html

sms316
28th September 2011, 09:36 AM
Has the usual post-Brownlow Powerpoint email done the rounds yet?

LeftyHoges
28th September 2011, 09:39 AM
Has the usual post-Brownlow Powerpoint email done the rounds yet?

I havent got one yet but I'm sure it's not far off.