PDA

View Full Version : What Shaft?

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 08:57 PM
Since I've been away from golf for 5yrs now and decided to get back into it I've discovered my driver isn't exactly suited...... I went out today and impulse bought a 975J :shock:. I went around looking at drivers and nothing caught my fancy, and the J came up cheap and I've always liked the look of them, so I grabbed it. My problem comes with the shaft, someone fitted a Callaway RCH 65 regular....

I thought it may be worth jumping on a launch moniter, so I stopped at Golf World Springwood this afternoon. Driver SS was around 122mph :shock:, launch angle of 7.8°, Spin rate @ 3200rpm. What shafts would be suitable for me? It may be worth mentioning that I like that way the Grafalloy Prolite 35X in my 15° 200 Tour plays.

markTHEblake
23rd September 2011, 08:59 PM
Aldila Nv 65 would be perfect.

rubin
23rd September 2011, 09:02 PM
Pro launch red.

Probably best of all - Nunchuck. ;)

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 09:03 PM
You reckon Mark? I never liked the NV when I played it in the past. I loved the JYS 7.5X I had in the R540DF way back when too!

markTHEblake
23rd September 2011, 09:26 PM
We dont talk about any other shafts here

Oldplayer
23rd September 2011, 09:45 PM
Launch angle 7.8*!! You need a higher launching shaft. I was under the impression around 13-14* is needed to maximize distance.

virge666
23rd September 2011, 09:50 PM
Since I've been away from golf for 5yrs now and decided to get back into it I've discovered my driver isn't exactly suited...... I went out today and impulse bought a 975J :shock:. I went around looking at drivers and nothing caught my fancy, and the J came up cheap and I've always liked the look of them, so I grabbed it. My problem comes with the shaft, someone fitted a Callaway RCH 65 regular....

I thought it may be worth jumping on a launch moniter, so I stopped at Golf World Springwood this afternoon. Driver SS was around 122mph :shock:, launch angle of 7.8°, Spin rate @ 3200rpm. What shafts would be suitable for me? It may be worth mentioning that I like that way the Grafalloy Prolite 35X in my 15° 200 Tour plays.

The shaft is not going to do shit... You need a better head for your swing.

At best the shaft may add a degree either way, not the 4 degrees you need.

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 09:55 PM
The thing is, I have never had anything that worked on a moniter work on the course. Before the 975J, I was playing a 7° SMT Encore with a 47" Penley ETA Tour X Flex. I'm just chasing a relatively low torque, stiff shaft.

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 09:59 PM
Launch angle 7.8*!! You need a higher launching shaft. I was under the impression around 13-14* is needed to maximize distance.
Launch moniter was stating 320-330 yard carry with a ball speed around 180-182mph.

rubin
23rd September 2011, 10:04 PM
Low torque tip stiff.

Seriously this time - V2 tour x-stiff. I'm playing a 2* torque in the driver and 1.8 in a 3 wood. Very very nice.

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 10:10 PM
Cheers rubin. X Stiff was a definite, given swing and ball speeds. I'm thinking 44.5" for a little more control, as I don't need the increased club head speed of a 46"+ Driver.

virge666
23rd September 2011, 10:42 PM
The thing is, I have never had anything that worked on a moniter work on the course. Before the 975J, I was playing a 7° SMT Encore with a 47" Penley ETA Tour X Flex. I'm just chasing a relatively low torque, stiff shaft.

Mate,

You asked for advice, I gave you the physics. You can fight them all you want.

You need an 11 to 11.5 launch angle. 7.8 off an 7.5 degree drivers says you are sliding into impact and shutting face down with a flipping hand motion.

I repeat ... Th shaft ain't going to do dick. And there are 3 other club fitters on here that will say the same thing...

The stiffer and low torque shafts suggested are just going to rob you of spin and you will lose carry distance. I have three players on my books now with similar numbers... And you need 10.5 with a telegraph pole in it. Or you can change you swing and flight the ball better.

morgy
23rd September 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm with Blakey...... I was gaming an expensive mid launch x stiff, getting low hooks and no carry. Changed to the old reg NV and got a low spin bomber..... I have a quick to very quick swing speed, there is no silver bullet on this. The reg gives me better lag and the NV is low spin for me. Great combo.

virge is a guru, listen. No one cares that you can hit it 300 yards.

990B Luva
23rd September 2011, 11:03 PM
The 975J I picked up is a 9.5°. I haven't hit that at all yet, simply knowing it will be snap hook central.

rubin
23rd September 2011, 11:33 PM
Re-reading your posts again. Forget what I said. Give it a few days and see the what other guys have said, but Virge knows his shit, so I'd be listening if were you.

Johnny Canuck
23rd September 2011, 11:34 PM
Low torque tip stiff.

Seriously this time - V2 tour x-stiff. I'm playing a 2* torque in the driver and 1.8 in a 3 wood. Very very nice.

Mate,

You asked for advice, I gave you the physics. You can fight them all you want.

You need an 11 to 11.5 launch angle. 7.8 off an 7.5 degree drivers says you are sliding into impact and shutting face down with a flipping hand motion.

I repeat ... Th shaft ain't going to do dick. And there are 3 other club fitters on here that will say the same thing...

The stiffer and low torque shafts suggested are just going to rob you of spin and you will lose carry distance. I have three players on my books now with similar numbers... And you need 10.5 with a telegraph pole in it. Or you can change you swing and flight the ball better.

22 capper vs. club fitter. Who's advice will he heed?

gazgolf1
24th September 2011, 07:57 AM
You were a skinny little bastard 5 yrs ago, have you bulked up any?

990B Luva
24th September 2011, 08:13 AM
I haven't really bulked up at all Gaz, but I haven't bothered going to a gym or anything to do so.

davepuppies
24th September 2011, 09:02 AM
thats insane ball speed.......

Agree with Virge, need more launch angle, and a super stiff shaft.

10.5 degree head, x stiff AD DI/ Matrix XCON 6/7.

990B Luva
24th September 2011, 12:53 PM
thats insane ball speed.......

Agree with Virge, need more launch angle, and a super stiff shaft.

10.5 degree head, x stiff AD DI/ Matrix XCON 6/7.

Launch angle I understand, hence moving from a 7° driver in the SMT Encore, to a 9.5° 975J. I realise the J is old, but it is a club I feel really confident looking at. I'm just after suggestions on what shaft I should put in the J to make it somewhat usable, unless someone has a 10.5° 975J laying around, in which case I'd give that a go with the right shaft in it.

rubin
24th September 2011, 12:56 PM
22 capper vs. club fitter. Who's advice will he heed?

I did revise what I suggested. I actually read what he wrote the second time ;)

Captain Nemo
25th September 2011, 09:27 AM
The 975J I picked up is a 9.5°. I haven't hit that at all yet, simply knowing it will be snap hook central.

Will be a bitch to reshaft as its a bore thru, youll need a loger shaft to start with, then your clubfitter will have to source the plug etc......
Id just get a new driver IMO!:smt102

BrisVegas
25th September 2011, 10:20 AM
Hey Brett, good to see you back here again. Things have improved a lot since the 975J. Club geeks like virge should be able to sort out a new combo for you.

TheNuclearOne
25th September 2011, 10:33 AM
I'd be getting some figures with an X before worrying about that launch info with a reg, or trying some gear outside.

TheNuclearOne
25th September 2011, 11:48 AM
Will be a bitch to reshaft as its a bore thru, youll need a loger shaft to start with, then your clubfitter will have to source the plug etc......
Id just get a new driver IMO!:smt102

Why would you need a longer shaft?

markTHEblake
25th September 2011, 01:08 PM
i have a diamana red in x flex that you can have, it is in the pro shop. But a flusher like should be considering the nunchuk.

990B Luva
25th September 2011, 01:26 PM
Hey Brett, good to see you back here again. Things have improved a lot since the 975J. Club geeks like virge should be able to sort out a new combo for you.
Cheers Dion, I realise things have improved since the 975J, but I'm keen to focus on ballstriking and consistency, which I think is where the 975J will really help out.

I'd be getting some figures with an X before worrying about that launch info with a reg, or trying some gear outside.
Launch info was with a 7° SMT Encore, with a Penley ETA Tour X @ 47".

Why would you need a longer shaft?
Thats got me stumped too, because I'm actually looking at going to 44.5" at the longest!

i have a diamana red in x flex that you can have, it is in the pro shop. But a flusher like should be considering the nunchuk.

Might actually give that a try Mark, What sort of price are you after? I noticed the unsure of value in the Pro Shop thread.

TheNuclearOne
25th September 2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry, didn't fully read. Still hard to judge because 47 is just sooooo long vs 44.5. The 975 is obviously plenty more loft and should get your launch up but spin will likely rise too. With a swing speed like that losing meters to spin probably won't matter anyway LOL

990B Luva
25th September 2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry, didn't fully read. Still hard to judge because 47 is just sooooo long vs 44.5. The 975 is obviously plenty more loft and should get your launch up but spin will likely rise too. With a swing speed like that losing meters to spin probably won't matter anyway LOL

I'm not fussed if I lose distance. Thats why I want to go 44.5". I'll take the 10-15m distance loss to be more consitent and accurate.

markTHEblake
25th September 2011, 01:44 PM
Might actually give that a try Mark, What sort of price are you after? I noticed the unsure of value in the Pro Shop thread.

I have a vague recollection of researching current value of the shaft to be about $120 compared to whats selling on ebay now, so $80 will do.
Of course if given some time I might check again and find out it should go for more.

Progolfgear
1st October 2011, 10:23 PM
Launch angle I understand, hence moving from a 7° driver in the SMT Encore, to a 9.5° 975J. I realise the J is old, but it is a club I feel really confident looking at. I'm just after suggestions on what shaft I should put in the J to make it somewhat usable, unless someone has a 10.5° 975J laying around, in which case I'd give that a go with the right shaft in it.

If you must stick with the 975J, I would look at a lightweight, high launch X flex (there are plenty of those to chose from). But looking at your numbers, I would seriously consider a new driver as I doubt you are going to get much out of your current 9.5 Degree head.

razaar
2nd October 2011, 08:33 AM
I tend to agree with those who recommend a heavier stiffer shaft; nothing under 80gms and X flex with 44.5" the maximum length. The Aldila NV is as good a place to start. Shouldn't cost any more than $40 if you can find a suitable pull. I went down this track,going to a 75Gm stiff from 60gm reg and from 45" to 44.5". I actually gained length and reduced the wayward effects of a poor shot. Being an old fart my clubhead speed is nowhere near yours. IMO we are being conned by all this hype about light weight shafts. My swing is pretty solid and well grooved and I have never had any success with light weight shafts.

990B Luva
7th October 2011, 02:03 AM
I have a vague recollection of researching current value of the shaft to be about $120 compared to whats selling on ebay now, so $80 will do.
Of course if given some time I might check again and find out it should go for more.

Mark, I'm pretty keen!

I tend to agree with those who recommend a heavier stiffer shaft; nothing under 80gms and X flex with 44.5" the maximum length. The Aldila NV is as good a place to start. Shouldn't cost any more than $40 if you can find a suitable pull. I went down this track,going to a 75Gm stiff from 60gm reg and from 45" to 44.5". I actually gained length and reduced the wayward effects of a poor shot. Being an old fart my clubhead speed is nowhere near yours. IMO we are being conned by all this hype about light weight shafts. My swing is pretty solid and well grooved and I have never had any success with light weight shafts.
Shaft weight, in my case, isn't a big deal. A 2.5" shorter driver is on the cards (44.5" down from 47") to increase accuracy. With the SS I have, the extra shaft length is more of a loss than anything.

If you must stick with the 975J, I would look at a lightweight, high launch X flex (there are plenty of those to chose from). But looking at your numbers, I would seriously consider a new driver as I doubt you are going to get much out of your current 9.5 Degree head.

Basically, the 975J will be used until I am back in the groove, and ready to step up to a new, much more suitable driver. I'm also using it as a chance to get my swing sorted from the wayward, unreliable, broken swing I had.

markTHEblake
7th October 2011, 07:51 AM
Sold! I will be in brisbane city next friday lunchtime then heading north later how would that work out?

990B Luva
7th October 2011, 07:15 PM
That might work quite well. It all depends on where I am for work.