PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 01:09 PM
I am trying to prevent shin splints as they dog me as a walker. I carry my bag and finish 18 holes in 2 1/2 hrs generally. I do this every day on my holidays.

The link below is the first port of call for me to tackle this debilitating problem.

http://www.chirunning.com/chi-library/article/the-whole-story-on-shin-splints/

Heel strike and pushing off with my toes are my nemesis.

Leaning forward and relaxing the lower legs is my first strategy.

Please add your suggestions or comments pertaining to this matter.

Yossarian
23rd September 2011, 01:10 PM
Stop walking.

dc68
23rd September 2011, 01:10 PM
Ride. ;)

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 01:13 PM
It's a question of technique not life style.

3oneday
23rd September 2011, 01:16 PM
I recently read that shin splints are caused by doing exercise that doesn't match your fitness levels. Maybe you should be walking a bit more regularly so that your fitness improves and your shin soreness will decrease.

Iain
23rd September 2011, 01:19 PM
Orthotics?

BroKar
23rd September 2011, 01:20 PM
orthotics make a massive difference

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 01:40 PM
I have only had shin splints once and that was 3 years ago in Tassie but have had some ginger calfs.

TheTrueReview
23rd September 2011, 01:43 PM
Had shin splints a few years ago from running. Went to a sports podiatrist & surprise, surprise, found out that they're caused by tight calves. Sitting in an office all day tightens calves, hammies & glutes. After a program of calf stretching, the shin splints went away.

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 01:47 PM
I would prefer to tackle this issue in a logical systematic preventative way instead of grabbing orthotics.

Courty
23rd September 2011, 01:52 PM
I have only had shin splints once and that was 3 years ago in Tassie but have had some ginger calfs.

:-s

http://www.bairnsley.com/Web Photos/Calf red.JPG

mudrat
23rd September 2011, 01:54 PM
Orthotics worked a treat for me.

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 01:57 PM
:-s

http://www.bairnsley.com/Web Photos/Calf red.JPG

There cheaper that donkey's and don't kick as hard.

goughy
23rd September 2011, 03:13 PM

When you say your nemesis, do you mean while running our while walking? I went through all this when I first starred running as this was one of my problems. The right shoes made a difference. And yes I agree excessive heel landing while running is a problem. But if you're taking about while walking then it's different again.

Then again, if you're playing 18 holes in 2.5 hours your probably moving a bit. if you're jogging or even shuffling between shots then golf shoes are probably the worst shoes to be wearing. Not designed for that sort of thing. But if you're walking, even quickly, then you should be landing on your heel, rolling through and pushing off pretty much with your big toe. I had very flat feet which splayed out a bit, so I had to work on that motion and having my feet oriented correctly.

davepuppies
23rd September 2011, 06:05 PM
Orthotics....

It is a preventative that corrects your impact and roll.

Massage your feet and calves.

Ice, rest.

Ferrins
23rd September 2011, 06:15 PM
I use a Chinese linament that helps and up the Magnesium with Endura.

Hux
23rd September 2011, 06:16 PM
I have only had shin splints once and that was 3 years ago in Tassie but have had some ginger calfs.0

Not Ginger Nuts?

Shin Splints sux. When I was running (yes I used to be much thinner - a wee 97kg) I found it was a choice of shoes and also stretching my calf muscles really well before hand. The old "stand on the edge of a step with your toes and drop up and down" to really stretch them out worked.

Same things works for plantar fasciitis to a lesser extent.

Yossarian
23rd September 2011, 06:29 PM
Don't take any of the advice in this thread, just keep doing what your doing.

Moe Norman
23rd September 2011, 06:55 PM
orthotics are only the answer in some cases.

I suffered from terrible shin splints for 2 years that became stress fractures. Podiatrist saw me several times and said it was not related to my feet

rubin
23rd September 2011, 09:26 PM
Had shin splints a few years ago from running. Went to a sports podiatrist & surprise, surprise, found out that they're caused by tight calves. Sitting in an office all day tightens calves, hammies & glutes. After a program of calf stretching, the shin splints went away.

Spot on. I had the same thing when I was running. Get into a stretching routine everyday, starting from lower back and working your way down. Orthotics will not necessarily fix it, as to begin with you will need more cushioning under your foot, which orthotics cannot provide.

razaar
23rd September 2011, 10:39 PM
The muscles in the front of the lower legs are weak and are trying to take the load off tight calves. Its a two way thing - stretch the calf muscles and strengthen the front muscles. To do this sit on a table and hang a weight from the top of the toes ( a loaded sand bucket is ideal, make sure it is not resting on the ground). Do foot curls to failure.

mint
27th September 2011, 12:54 PM
mate I feel your pain. I played just a tad over 300 senior games of A grade football and suffered from them badly throughout my time..
The best advice I can give you (if you dont want to go to a doctor) is asses your foot type (high arch, collapsed arch etc) and you can do this by putting your foot in water and standing on some concrete... this will give you an outline - if you can see a full foot you have collapsed arches and if you see the outline of the outside of your foot you have high arches..

Go to a chemist and buy a pair of orthotics (i spent hundreds on the so called proper ones and they are no different). Wear them in every shoe you put on. The first few days will be uncomfortable but your feet will ajust. Then as davepuppies said ice them when you get home and at night rub them..

The other issue may be your golf shoes are no good for your foot. find something that is going to give you support (if you have collapsed arches like me the callaway hyperbolic are very good).

But the key here is support your feet with orthotics and Ice and Rub.

Hope this helps

markTHEblake
27th September 2011, 06:16 PM
I am trying to prevent shin splints as they dog me as a walker.

I have only had shin splints once and that was 3 years ago...

If anything this shows that someone actually takes notice of what you are saying. Once, so why care?

Ferrins
27th September 2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry Blakey, will ease off my 5 wood next time we play.

Moe Norman
27th September 2011, 07:17 PM
The muscles in the front of the lower legs are weak and are trying to take the load off tight calves. Its a two way thing - stretch the calf muscles and strengthen the front muscles. To do this sit on a table and hang a weight from the top of the toes ( a loaded sand bucket is ideal, make sure it is not resting on the ground). Do foot curls to failure.

terrible suggestion. That might be ok for prevention when a case has healed, but it would just make it worse when you have them

Daves
27th September 2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone had a Heel Spur (or more correctly I gather, plantar fasciitis)? I am finishing my rounds with a very tender left heel. I gather it is torn muscle tissue causing the pain and the heel feels like it is bruised for a few days afterwards.

rubin
27th September 2011, 08:28 PM
Anyone had a Heel Spur (or more correctly I gather, plantar fasciitis)? I am finishing my rounds with a very tender left heel. I gather it is torn muscle tissue causing the pain and the heel feels like it is bruised for a few days afterwards.

Yep. Got those when I was running. They are caused by a relaxing or retarding of 3 key tendons (or group of them) along the bottom of your foot. The only way to fix them is to get a higher level of arch support in your shoes. You do not need orthosis (the correct term for orthotics) for this. Wear supportive shoes as much as possible, get some a little softer as well if u can, and in a week or two it will be gone.

Courty
28th September 2011, 04:09 PM

It could be insertional tendonitis of the achilles (where it joins the heel bone). I have had this and still flares up occasionally.

PeteyD
28th September 2011, 06:24 PM
What a bunch of cripples.

raidrboy
28th September 2011, 09:09 PM
I am trying to prevent shin splints as they dog me as a walker. I carry my bag and finish 18 holes in 2 1/2 hrs generally. I do this every day on my holidays.

The link below is the first port of call for me to tackle this debilitating problem.

Leaning forward and relaxing the lower legs is my first strategy.

Please add your suggestions or comments pertaining to this matter.

Try googling decompartmental syndrone it has similar symptoms to shin splints.

Daves
29th September 2011, 10:54 AM
What a bunch of cripples.

Back in your walker hipster!

Yep. Got those when I was running. They are caused by a relaxing or retarding of 3 key tendons (or group of them) along the bottom of your foot. The only way to fix them is to get a higher level of arch support in your shoes. You do not need orthosis (the correct term for orthotics) for this. Wear supportive shoes as much as possible, get some a little softer as well if u can, and in a week or two it will be gone.

It could be insertional tendonitis of the achilles (where it joins the heel bone). I have had this and still flares up occasionally.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have made an appointment to see a Podiatrist as I need a check up anyway. I did some extra stretching before yesterday's round and it seemed to help a little. Have had it before but not quite as bad and seems to go after a while. I iced it last night and that also seemed to help a bit. I can't get into the Podiatrist for nearly 2 weeks, so will try a shoe support insert in the interim.

Daves
5th October 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I have made an appointment to see a Podiatrist as I need a check up anyway. I did some extra stretching before yesterday's round and it seemed to help a little. Have had it before but not quite as bad and seems to go after a while. I iced it last night and that also seemed to help a bit. I can't get into the Podiatrist for nearly 2 weeks, so will try a shoe support insert in the interim.

Tried some shoe inserts today and it did not go well. They felt horrible and made the shoes very tight and uncomfortable. I had absolutely no feel with my shots and whilst I was striking the ball well, I just could not get any distance control and my scoring was almost non existent!. I lasted 7 holes with them in (12 over by that stage). As soon as I took them out my distance control came back and I started playing something resembling proper golf (6 over for the remaining 11 holes). I end up with a sore heal again of course, so I am not sure what is worse; the problem or the treatment!?

rubin
5th October 2011, 11:09 PM
How old are your shoes? And which style?

Hux
6th October 2011, 07:20 AM
Dave

Do a search for exercises for plantar fasciatis....get a foam roller from a physio.
Basically the shin splints and plantar are close - tight calfs are a contributor.

I have been suffering with it for the past few years. Went and got orthotics which worked but now they hurt - soft style and are knackered. Was okay without them for some time but heading backwards in a hurry. I actually blame my work shoes (lack of support from RM Williams boots and Doc Marten shoes).

My game deteroites as the day goes on because of weight transfer. My right heel is that sore after about 8 or 9 holes that I unconsciously come forward onto my toes and start the dreaded shoudler dip not turn.

Its an inflammed tendon in your foot, orthotics do work (but only if you go back and get new ones every couple of years when the old ones are rooted).
Proper orthotics will work but they will want to see the shoes you wear. My guy was a golfer and liked FJ's for support etc.

The more calf stretching and foot exercises I do the less it hurts and Voltaren works as well as it reduces the inflamation.

Daves
6th October 2011, 12:08 PM
How old are your shoes? And which style?

FJ Superlites. They are probably about a year old, worn in rotation with another couple of pair (Contours and Greenjoys). They are comfortably worn in , but no noticeable wear on the soles as yet. I get the heel soreness in the other pairs as well, so am assuming it is not the shoes. I do have a brand new pair of the same shoes that I might break out for tomorrow's round.

Dave

Do a search for exercises for plantar fasciatis....get a foam roller from a physio.
Basically the shin splints and plantar are close - tight calfs are a contributor.

I have been suffering with it for the past few years. Went and got orthotics which worked but now they hurt - soft style and are knackered. Was okay without them for some time but heading backwards in a hurry. I actually blame my work shoes (lack of support from RM Williams boots and Doc Marten shoes).

My game deteroites as the day goes on because of weight transfer. My right heel is that sore after about 8 or 9 holes that I unconsciously come forward onto my toes and start the dreaded shoudler dip not turn.

Its an inflammed tendon in your foot, orthotics do work (but only if you go back and get new ones every couple of years when the old ones are rooted).
Proper orthotics will work but they will want to see the shoes you wear. My guy was a golfer and liked FJ's for support etc.

The more calf stretching and foot exercises I do the less it hurts and Voltaren works as well as it reduces the inflamation.

Thanks for the info Hux. Seeing a Podiatrist next week. Mine is mainly my left heel, so seems to be a pattern there as well. Did a fair bit of stretching before yesterday's rounds, but that will take some time to make a real diff. I guess.

Moe Norman
6th October 2011, 12:13 PM
send MatthewM a message.

avid golfer, a sports podiatrist and FJ affictionado. He can at least provide some advice and a referral to the most suitable local podiatrist if he knows one