PDA

View Full Version : Trying out some Harrison Saga driver shafts

Stuartd147
22nd September 2011, 06:33 PM
I read about these on Golfwrx in that they were being quoted as being up there with better Diamana Blue Boards that I have in my old Ping Rapture V2 10.5 driver and Titleist 909D2 10.5 driver. My current driver is a 910 D3 9 degree with made-for Kai'li that I have been enjoying. Mind you my shaft is one of Titleist's original demo ones that has been spined and has a bit of mojo to it compared to others I have tried, including a $300 after market Kai'li.

So I ordered in 3 Harrison Saga shafts in 70g reg, 60g stiff and 70g stiff. They came in at about $80 each delivered. I now have (all at 45" at the moment)...

70g (259cpm) reg tipped 1/2" into 910 sleeve
60g (279cpm) stiff in 910 sleeve
70g (278cpm) stiff in Rapture V2 10.5 head

...and took them out yesterday and today with one of my mates.

I really like them. My SS is around 96-100mph and I am getting the best results with the reg 70g. Compared to the Kai'li, that can sometimes get me a strong draw, the Harrison spreads less and tends to be straight or slightly right'ish with a lot more hang-time in the air from what I can see. I feel like I am gaining some distance but I won't really know until I get 3-4 real games with it. But the "feel" of my driver has changed, in a good way.

I tried the 60g stiff in the 910 D3 and it was OK too but I think a touch stiff for me.

The 70g stiff in the Rapture feels really good, strangly it does not feel as stiff as the 60G in the 910 D3 to me. I don't have a swingweight scale so I don't know if it is a weight setup thing. My mate hits his Rapture V2 9 degree/stiff about 245m on average. He tried my 10.5 with the Saga and it hit the ball the same height in the air but he kept saying that he was feeling like he was hitting the Saga a mile, but when we walked up to where the balls were there was never more than a couple of metres in it.

I find his driver feels stiffer to me.

Anyway, first real game with the 910 D3 and Saga is tomorrow at the Hoden Scramble in Wollongong. Best part of this is I can benchmark my results against my three mates who are pretty strong hitters so I will have a better feel on how the Saga really performs.

I have contacted the guys at Harrison.com to see which one of the two stiff shafts is the best match for me if I was to use one of them in my Ping Rapture 4 wood.

If anyone near the Illawarra wants to try the 60g stiff in their 910 D2 or D3 just let me know and you can try it for yourself.

Anyone else tried them????

....Stu

MegaWatty
22nd September 2011, 06:48 PM
I have a 60 S in my 9064 with a Shotmaker in it. Awesome shaft. Love it.

I need to get my hands on a 70 S for my 3 wood now. Hint hint. ;)

Stuartd147
26th September 2011, 07:37 PM
I think the 60s in my Titleist D3 is going to win. It seems to have a bit more kick than the kai'li adding 5-10m on some drives and tames the odd hook I get. The 70r is good too but I feel I can over power that one at times. I will play with this one for a few weeks and see how it goes, but so far-so good.

simmsy
27th September 2011, 08:45 PM
give us a yell if the 70r gets relegated to the bench Stuart. :)

MegaWatty
27th September 2011, 08:48 PM
Simmsy and I can share postage. ;)