PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Wedges

matty
20th September 2011, 08:32 PM
As well as a new set of irons I'm planning on getting a couple of wedges. Don't care about brand. Looking at the Vokeys or the Cally x-series Jaws at the moment. I probably can't go too wrong with them.

What is everyone using? What were the best wedges you have ever used?

KristianJ
20th September 2011, 08:36 PM
I'm a big Jaws fan. They do chew up the softer premium balls mercilessly (the non-conforming ones, that is), but very happy with the look of them and how they perform.

I do have a conforming grooves Jaws lob wedge but haven't taken it out for some real short game testing as yet.

MegaWatty
20th September 2011, 09:03 PM
TourFit. Seriously!

simmsy
20th September 2011, 09:05 PM
Yep. Best wedges I have had. Never had Vokey but heaps better than Callaway or Clevelands offerings.

Courty
20th September 2011, 09:27 PM
I couldn't get comfortable with the Vokey's, and the Callaways don't come in low bounce models. I've got myself a couple of Mizuno MP-T10 series wedges and lurve 'em.

rubin
20th September 2011, 09:33 PM
Taylormade Z TPs.

I agree with courty's comment before about not being comfy with the vokeys.

Yossarian
20th September 2011, 09:50 PM
Srixon WG 706. Picked up one that rusts. So good.

Some of the vokeys set up really pure.

The Ping Tour W was nice.

So is the scratch wedge I have now.

Also the Cleveland 588's I had.
And the MP-T10 were good as well.

rubin
20th September 2011, 09:53 PM
Srixon WG 706. Picked up one that rusts. So good.

Some of the vokeys set up really pure.

The Ping Tour W was nice.

So is the scratch wedge I have now.

Also the Cleveland 588's I had.
And the MP-T10 were good as well.

Is there a brand of wedge that u haven't owned/used?

Croydo
20th September 2011, 10:01 PM
I recently bought the confirming Jaws wedges, these are the best wedges I've had. Through out the years I've had Cleveland 588's, vokeys, mizuno t11's, and a few others.

simmsy
20th September 2011, 10:01 PM
Yoss you have no credit when offering opinions on wedges, you've had almost every brand and still couldn't land a shot on the WACA from the 3rd row.

Yossarian
20th September 2011, 10:03 PM
Is there a brand of wedge that u haven't owned/used?

Callaway. I wanted some x forged though but the price was never right.
I have hit an adams wedge.

Non OEM stuff. I want fit wedges but he won't give me any.

Simmsy srixon wedges rock, the only ones I have so far bought agaiN!

AlexMc
20th September 2011, 10:41 PM
I bought a Vokey TVD a few months ago - excellent wedge.

TheNuclearOne
20th September 2011, 10:50 PM
LOVE the Vokey SM's and TVD's. I don't even look at other wedges now.

rubin
20th September 2011, 11:02 PM
Honest question, and I know it doesn't make a difference for us normal folk, but are the grooves on fits wedges conforming?

MegaWatty
20th September 2011, 11:03 PM
The old ones aren't, the new ones are.

Johnny Canuck
21st September 2011, 12:44 AM
Tourfit wedges hit everything fat.

Veefore
21st September 2011, 02:42 AM
Ping Tour W TS for me. Closely followed by Vokey with reground sole.

gazgolf1
21st September 2011, 04:49 AM
Cally X-Forged's are pure, 52 and 58 for me.

Outcast
21st September 2011, 07:03 AM
Used to be Vokeys, then a set of Tourfits now a pair of Cleveland CG16s. I have a pair of Nomad Vokeys I got recently but haven't used them.

The CG 16s have a small cavity back, I really like them but, played Vokeys for a long long time & loved them. I have a 52, 56, 60 for sale if your after some (spin milled, non comforting)

jaybam
21st September 2011, 07:06 AM
Nike vr wedges. Best ever :)

Leon Phelps
21st September 2011, 07:32 AM
Was using the cally x forged, non conforming grooves really chewed premiums up big time.
Just had my first hit with the Adams Pug's, they are the shizzle.

Stuart
21st September 2011, 07:41 AM
I have tried most of the wedge options, but Bridgestone West Coast (WC) Designs are still in the bag after a number of years.

Webster
21st September 2011, 07:57 AM
Potato

Daves
21st September 2011, 07:59 AM
Potato

beat me too it!, beer battered with sour cream.

Webster
21st September 2011, 08:03 AM
I prefer sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Still unsure which is the correct order - wedge into the sour cream then the chilli sauce, or vice versa. Trial and error inconclusive so far.

Puji
21st September 2011, 08:12 AM
Nike VR forged.

Have played with vokey, Lind rubbish and some Clevelands.

VRs looks the most natural to me. Chews up soft balls though.

virge666
21st September 2011, 08:29 AM
I am a Vokey person - the grinds seem to suit my game.

I use Oil Can wedges only so they dont show up the lack of care I have for them.

plus - i always seem to be able to pick a set here for around $50-$60 a wedge every couple of years . . .

and . . .

Sour Cream and Sweet Chilli - awesome.

IanO
21st September 2011, 09:35 AM
I have the Callaway X Forged Tour (52*, 56* and 60*) and found they are excellent. I have tried others but keep coming back to the Callaways. About to try some Miura's to match my irons :mrgreen:

TheTrueReview
21st September 2011, 09:41 AM
Nike VR forged.

Have played with vokey, Lind rubbish and some Clevelands.

VRs looks the most natural to me. ...

+ 1. Moved from Vokeys to these. Also, the grind lets them be opened up nicely.

pt73
21st September 2011, 09:46 AM
Callaway X Tour Vintage Gap Wedge (52* or 54*) that I bend to 53* and Sonartec T35 proto 58*.

rubin
21st September 2011, 09:57 AM
Chilli then sour cream. Only way to get the proper mixture.

just
21st September 2011, 10:09 AM
Cleveland CG 11's and Maltby M-Series wide sole.

MegaWatty
21st September 2011, 11:10 AM
Chilli then sour cream. Only way to get the proper mixture. Wrong.

LeftyHoges
21st September 2011, 11:12 AM
Maltby M-Series wide sole.

Here's your winner.

Maltby wedges all the way.

Webster
21st September 2011, 11:21 AM
Wrong.

But if you go sour cream, then chilli, this chilli sauce slides off?

There is no correct answer to this conundrum.

peter_rs
21st September 2011, 11:22 AM
Cleveland CG 11's and Maltby M-Series wide sole.

It was special out of the sand on sunday.

MegaWatty
21st September 2011, 12:10 PM
But if you go sour cream, then chilli, this chilli sauce slides off?

There is no correct answer to this conundrum.

That's why you need 2x the amount of chilli sauce available!

Webster
21st September 2011, 12:14 PM
But I dont like that much chilli sauce. I think you need 3 bowls:- one with sour cream, one with chilli sauce, and one with SC and CS mixed in together. This would ensure the purity of the respective condiments is preserved and not compromised.

kpac
21st September 2011, 12:15 PM
Clev 900 series. Daylight the field.

kpac
21st September 2011, 12:16 PM
But I dont like that much chilli sauce. I think you need 3 bowls:- one with sour cream, one with chilli sauce, and one with SC and CS mixed in together. This would ensure the purity of the respective condiments is preserved and not compromised.
Just ditch the sweet chilli. It's a horrible bloody invention. Sour Cream stands well on its own.

timah!
21st September 2011, 12:18 PM
You're all forgetting cheese!

Eldrick
21st September 2011, 12:28 PM
Just ditch the sweet chilli. It's a horrible bloody invention. Sour Cream stands well on its own.
go with the sriracha chilli sauce best type of chilli sauce by far

Webster
21st September 2011, 12:28 PM
I like sweet chilli. No cheese thanks.

Iain
21st September 2011, 12:32 PM
Just ditch the sour cream and go the sweet chilli.

Johnny Canuck
21st September 2011, 01:08 PM
Gravy and cheese curds.

kpac
21st September 2011, 01:30 PM
come to think of it, a decent chip has the wedge covered IMO.

IanO
21st September 2011, 01:49 PM
MMMMMmmmmmmmmm GRAVY!

freddy a
21st September 2011, 02:26 PM
Scratch are the best by far if you can get your hands on a set, but make sure you get the right grinds.

ParkRoyal
21st September 2011, 05:04 PM
If your skilled enough, you should be able to get sweet chilli on one side of the wedge and sour cream on the other, but you have to be skilled.

and rusty 900 clevos

tommyg
21st September 2011, 05:15 PM
Im Lovin my yes wedges.... not the softest forgings in the world but the long hosel seems to really work well.

I preferr a good thick cut chip.... but if its wedges, go the aioli

Dotty
21st September 2011, 05:23 PM
Hogan SureOut.

I think that now narrows it down to every manufacturer.

Courty
21st September 2011, 05:56 PM
Chilli wedge?

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/images/chilismall.jpg

Jarro
21st September 2011, 06:54 PM
I really liked the Nomad Vokeys i used to have .... super-spinny 8)

The Srixon wedges i have now though are the shiz ..... super-dooperish even :)

Daves
21st September 2011, 07:01 PM
Chilli wedge?

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/images/chilismall.jpg

You don't want to Chilli dip your wedges though!

matty
21st September 2011, 08:28 PM
Jesus. So many good recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Callies with mac daddys but may try and have a hit of the Miura wedges during my fitting.
Most of it obviously comes down to a feel thing and the skill of the user.
I was hell bent on getting wedges with low bounce but have recently read a lot of the top short game instructors advocate wedges with high bounce, then you have to factor the grind in.
I'm slowly realising how critical these are to scoring well.

So if I grind some chilli in, how high will a wedge bounce compared to a good chip? 8-)

golfbound
21st September 2011, 08:37 PM
well my wedges weren't working for me las week so i left them at Bankstown Golf Club in the hope they would work for someone else..... They were Cleveland CG15 52 and 56 degree

TheTrueReview
21st September 2011, 10:17 PM
Honest question, and I know it doesn't make a difference for us normal folk, but are the grooves on fits wedges conforming?

All wedges for us weekend amateurs are "conforming". The question is whether the wedges are CoC or not CoC? (Condition of Competition (http://shop.callawaygolf.com/article-grooves-101/article-grooves-101,default,sc.html))

rubin
21st September 2011, 10:29 PM
I know they are for us, and will be for a good while still, I was just curious as to whether or not the new tf wedges are 'conforming' as the term is used for the industry now. I.e. No longer box grooves.

TheTrueReview
22nd September 2011, 07:24 AM
I know they are for us, and will be for a good while still, I was just curious as to whether or not the new tf wedges are 'conforming' as the term is used for the industry now. I.e. No longer box grooves.

Without trying to put too fine a point on it, I think "CoC" is the correct term. From where we stand, box groove wedges are conforming.

just
22nd September 2011, 08:24 AM
Besides which "box grooves" (whatever people mean by this) won't be non-conforming after 2024 either, just their volume and edge radius will be different. And TTR is incorrect, a club either conforms to the 2010 rule or not, and therefore is either conforming or non-conforming, which is entirely different as to whether it is eligible for play or not. Not all "box grooves" are eligible for play until 2024 either, only those manufactured before 2010 (I think that's the date).

TheTrueReview
22nd September 2011, 11:09 AM
... And TTR is incorrect, a club either conforms to the 2010 rule or not, and therefore is either conforming or non-conforming, which is entirely different as to whether it is eligible for play or not. Not all "box grooves" are eligible for play until 2024 either, only those manufactured before 2010 (I think that's the date).

For goodness sake. A convoluted, distorted & non-sensicle argument; but mostly grammatically correct, so A+ for that.

I'm expecting the response to be a doozy. :p

just
22nd September 2011, 11:14 AM
For goodness sake. A convoluted, distorted & non-sensicle argument; but mostly grammatically correct, so A+ for that.

I'm expecting the response to be a doozy. :p
No it was correct, you just don't understand the rules and terminology.

TheTrueReview
22nd September 2011, 11:21 AM
No it was correct, you just don't understand the rules and terminology.

Au contraire mon frere. But in the meantime, you can keep playing with your illegal clubs.

just
22nd September 2011, 12:39 PM
Au contraire mon frere. But in the meantime, you can keep playing with your illegal clubs.
I never disgreed with you that they were or weren't illegal, or that the use of the term is silly, of course they aren't illegal, they are allowed by the rules until 2024 for us amateurs. So I don't understand why you make that claim. But you clearly don't understand the rules because you wouldn't keep referring to box grooves as conforming or non-conforming, when the rule has nothing to do with "box" grooves.

Captain Nemo
22nd September 2011, 12:53 PM
No love for the Ping Tour-W's?
I have had mine for a while now, best wedge ive tried!

Nuffie
22nd September 2011, 06:10 PM
The CG 15 with dynamic sole grind and rusty finish are my gamers at the moment. However I did get more spin and control from the 588s and miss them. The CG 16 was too chunky and so did not give me good control.

I've never played vokeys but they give you a 60/4 option, sit nice but can be pricey. Cleveland have great feel, are cheaper but only have a 60/6 option. However if bounce is not an issue, Cleveland's are great. My top picks would be:

1. Cleveland - CG 12/CG 15/588
2. Titleist - SM Oil Can/Gun Metal
3. Mizuno - MP's Oil Can

matty
22nd September 2011, 07:49 PM
The CG 15 with dynamic sole grind and rusty finish are my gamers at the moment. However I did get more spin and control from the 588s and miss them. The CG 16 was too chunky and so did not give me good control.

I've never played vokeys but they give you a 60/4 option, sit nice but can be pricey. Cleveland have great feel, are cheaper but only have a 60/6 option. However if bounce is not an issue, Cleveland's are great. My top picks would be:

1. Cleveland - CG 12/CG 15/588
2. Titleist - SM Oil Can/Gun Metal
3. Mizuno - MP's Oil Can

How do you find the low bounce? Pretty effective on tight lies?

Nuffie
23rd September 2011, 12:05 AM
How do you find the low bounce? Pretty effective on tight lies? Yes it sure works well, and a grindy sole also helps from tight lies. You can generate heaps of spin with a club like this, particularly if it's a low bounce 60 degree wedge played from a crusty bunker. It's good to have a variety of bounces in your wedges - to cater for a variety of different turf/bunker lies. That's why I game a 54/12 and a 60/6. My PW is also playing around 48/10.I've always wondered what a 64 degree wedge would be like to play. But IMO would be a waste as a full shot with it would prob struggle to fly 40m, not to mention how hard it would be not to hit fat.

Shadesy
23rd September 2011, 10:21 AM
Can Someone explain the "Grind" to me please?

PeteyD
23rd September 2011, 11:04 AM
I got some Cally wedges I want to sell. Really need to get it sorted out. think they are x-tour 50/54/58 with the last two having macdaddys.

Pieface
23rd September 2011, 12:11 PM
I haven't had a lot of wedge experience.

TF budget wedge - Nice consistent distance control. flexible grind for playing a few different shots around the green. Bugger all spin.
Clevo CG14 - nice feeling wedge but I found the distance control inconsistent, maybe a factor of the insert? Didn't inspire confidence greenside. Easier/more predictable to hit 3/4-full shots into the green.
Ping Tour-W - nicest wedge I've played so far. Spins a bit even with my hacker technique, consistent distance and a grind that makes it easy to play a few different shots around the green.

timah!
23rd September 2011, 12:31 PM
Birdie of the day has CG15's for $75 today, including DSG's...

markTHEblake
23rd September 2011, 12:52 PM
As well as a new set of irons I'm planning on getting a couple of wedges. Don't care about brand. Get the Maltby ones in the proshop. Paintfill the brand out with black and tell everyone they are $300 japanese customs, and that will give them an erection.plus they are as good as or better than anything that costs more.

Johnny Canuck
23rd September 2011, 01:08 PM
How are they better?

Yossarian
23rd September 2011, 01:09 PM
They have maltby on them.

Nuffie
24th September 2011, 01:19 PM
Can Someone explain the "Grind" to me please? A grind is what assists the club to get through the turf and not dig too deep and get caught.A low bounce may enable you to get under the ball easier, hitting it well below the equator to generate good spin. However the good work created by the low bounce becomes lost if the club does not continue it's course through the turf and under the ball. And that is what a rounded 'grindy' sole achieves. A low bounce flat sole does not grind well, it needs to be rounded to cut through turf, once the apex of the sole makes the initial contact.Cleveland and titleist have the best bounce/grind options. In callaway wedges last time I investigated, there were not as many options. There was also way too much weight in the soles of the wedges and not enough behind the faces IMO.

MegaWatty
24th September 2011, 01:35 PM
A grind is what assists the club to get through the turf and not dig too deep and get caught.A low bounce may enable you to get under the ball easier, hitting it well below the equator to generate good spin. However the good work created by the low bounce becomes lost if the club does not continue it's course through the turf and under the ball. And that is what a rounded 'grindy' sole achieves. A low bounce flat sole does not grind well, it needs to be rounded to cut through turf, once the apex of the sole makes the initial contact.Cleveland and titleist have the best bounce/grind options. In callaway wedges last time I investigated, there were not as many options. There was also way too much weight in the soles of the wedges and not enough behind the faces IMO. Got that, Shadesy?

Yossarian
24th September 2011, 01:35 PM
It is also what happens when coming down off e.

rubin
24th September 2011, 01:58 PM
A grind is what assists the club to get through the turf and not dig too deep and get caught.A low bounce may enable you to get under the ball easier, hitting it well below the equator to generate good spin. However the good work created by the low bounce becomes lost if the club does not continue it's course through the turf and under the ball. And that is what a rounded 'grindy' sole achieves. A low bounce flat sole does not grind well, it needs to be rounded to cut through turf, once the apex of the sole makes the initial contact.Cleveland and titleist have the best bounce/grind options. In callaway wedges last time I investigated, there were not as many options. There was also way too much weight in the soles of the wedges and not enough behind the faces IMO.

I had to double check the poster on that one. I thought I was razaar writing the reply.

Nuffie
24th September 2011, 02:04 PM
It is also what happens when coming down off e. It's what happens coming down from watching a bunch of maggot maggies steal a win off a team that was better for 99% of an AFL match and with every umpire conspiring against them. Who wants to be a millionaire (me) and you to be on the dole Eddie Everywhere? Poor Geoff Kennett, I feel your pain.

TourFit
24th September 2011, 03:48 PM
Well the Eagles have ALL THREE umpires against them today...unbelievable, especially in that 1st qtr.

Can the AFL make it ANY more obvious that they want a Collingwood-Geelong Grand Final?

Dazza
24th September 2011, 04:22 PM
I haven't really had any bad wedges, most of it came down to operator errors.
My CG14's are doing a great job at present. Also had success with a Cally X Tour vintage. Couldn't get the Mizuno Mp-t's to work.

Nuffie
24th September 2011, 06:08 PM
I haven't really had any bad wedges, most of it came down to operator errors.My CG14's are doing a great job at present. Also had success with a Cally X Tour vintage. Couldn't get the Mizuno Mp-t's to work. The cally X tour vintage wedge looks good. I heard rumors that Roger Cleveland was involved in it's design but could be wrong. It was mentioned somewhere though.

Nuffie
24th September 2011, 06:18 PM
Further to my earlier post, a grind also enables a wedge to more easily exit the turf and not continue to dig deeper once the club enters the turf.

Yossarian
24th September 2011, 08:58 PM
It's what happens coming down from watching a bunch of maggot maggies steal a win off a team that was better for 99% of an AFL match and with every umpire conspiring against them. Who wants to be a millionaire (me) and you to be on the dole Eddie Everywhere? Poor Geoff Kennett, I feel your pain.

Well the Eagles have ALL THREE umpires against them today...unbelievable, especially in that 1st qtr.

Can the AFL make it ANY more obvious that they want a Collingwood-Geelong Grand Final?

WTF are you blokes on about.

Puji
24th September 2011, 10:07 PM
had a solid 90 minute practice session with both my 54/10 and 58/6 Nike VR wedges.

Just thought it would be worth mentioning how great these Nike VR wedges are. I was using range balls, and these wedges managed to hop and stop with even 50% pitch shots. great feel. I like the S400 shafts in these as well.

markTHEblake
25th September 2011, 12:57 PM
How are they better?i beleive that because the designer prioritises what works over what sells.

Yossarian
25th September 2011, 12:59 PM
So callaway wedges perform less well than Maltby?

markTHEblake
25th September 2011, 01:05 PM
Specifically i dont know that club. To clarify I did say as good as or better.callaway are in fact one of the very few companies that actually follow the same philosophy.

Daves
29th September 2011, 01:37 PM
Finally! the answer to the Wedge conundrum!!;

http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/philadelphia3/page?locale=uken1&PagecRef=774