PDA

View Full Version : Not so popular - putter choice

oz
12th September 2011, 04:24 PM
I know there is plenty of banter about long putters being a blight on the game - but I am going to give it a proper try.

I had toyed with one a while back, but as part of a total bag revamp, I am going to get one, and commit to it. Choosing between a 2-ball and a Ping 1/2 Wack-e thing.

I don't play or practice nearly enough to develop consistency in my short game, and until I have more time for practice, I see this as one way to combat the inconsistency. Obviously, there'll be a transition period where I will need to find a little time to get to know it.

I can handle the mockery and abuse - I just hope sms doesn't get a job at the R&A...... ;)

Veefore
13th September 2011, 09:56 AM
Long putter is unlikely to be much help if you can't practice with it. The reason that some (not all ) people do seem to putt a little better with them is because they actually start to practice putting again.
In reality, long putters for most people are harder to use well than short putters.

IanO
13th September 2011, 10:02 AM
I agree with Veefore on this. I tried a mates long putter (just to try, not interested in getting one) and found that it feels really awkward at first and would take just as much practice as a normal length putter to get right. People get confident with it because they practice with it.

Like anything in golf, no practice = no improvement

sms316
13th September 2011, 01:02 PM
The practice green at Albury is the worst facility on the planet thanks to loonatic GM and yesman greenkeeper. No wonder oz doesn't practice.

oz
13th September 2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah - that practice green is just a joke. Actually - I have moved back to Thurgoona for a change.....

As for practice - I didn't say NO practice - just not much. As I have toyed with one before, and will have a chance to play a little more now that the days are getting longer, I am optimistic about being able to get a feel for this in a reasonable timeframe.

Oldplayer
13th September 2011, 07:11 PM
I agree with Veefore on this. I tried a mates long putter (just to try, not interested in getting one) and found that it feels really awkward at first and would take just as much practice as a normal length putter to get right. People get confident with it because they practice with it.

Like anything in golf, no practice = no improvement

I think you are missing the point. Sure you need to practice all aspects of the game if you want to improve, but using a long putter is fundamentally different.
The technique, set up and stroke used is all very different from a short putter. Many players, especially as they get older have a lot of trouble with making a consistent stroke, particularly on putts inside ten feet. Using a long putter can help with this situation.