PDA

View Full Version : Gabba AFL vs Lang Park NRL

damoocow
24th July 2005, 09:45 PM
Have seen a few games at Lang Park since the redevelopment but last night was my first visit to Lions AFL at the Gabba and would have to say the Bronco's are in NO danger in terms of either the venue [Gabba is crappy and expensive] or excitement [thought AFL might have more appeal live but am now certain it is a better game on TV].....next trip Dairyfarmers..

damoocow

Jarro
25th July 2005, 05:34 AM
I'm surprised you've actually BEEN to the Gabba, thought you were a league man through and through :?

i can't comment 'cos i've never been to the Gabba to watch a Lions game, but i reckon it'd be tough to match the atmosphere you get from a game at Lang park.

AndyP
25th July 2005, 08:04 AM
Aussie Rules is a better game live at the ground, than on TV by far. There is so much that happens off the ball that the cameras don't capture.

Perhaps Kee could comment, as I believe he was at the Gabba on Saturday night too.

Bruce
25th July 2005, 09:42 AM
TV has always zoomed in too close for AFL coverage. They only ever show you what's happening within 5m of the ball, even when the ball is kicked around. We get some great shots of the ball only with the grandstand in the background which will then suddenly arrive at a contest that seems to have formed as if by magic.

This is why they have 'special commentators' to tell TV viewers things were self evident to everybody at the ground. Go to the game. Get an idea of just how fast the ball moves up and down the ground and put pay to the 'skill' myth that RL pundits throw around.

markTHEblake
25th July 2005, 01:03 PM
Your a hard man to impress Damoo. That Lions-Essendon was apparantly a good one.

The gabba has crappy seating though in the bottom rows, couldnt see over the head of the row in front.

Next time i will go up the higher tiers

gazgolf1
25th July 2005, 02:24 PM
Not only am I disgusted with the $5 cups of beer at the ground but all the pubs on the way to the ground charge the same. I think its un-australian for a public bar to charge $5 for a can.

Try $6 for a can of German slops across the road at the German club. :shock:, at least its quality beer.
I don't mind paying a little more for quality amber like a Coopers pale at the Story Bridge or the Morrison but I refuse to pay big dollars for p!ss like VB or Lite ice at The Gabba.
By the time I get to my seats I've usually spent the better part of 2 hrs at a local establishment and I've got a happy little glow on and that does me for the night...except when I take my hip flask. :wink:

Jarro
25th July 2005, 03:30 PM
By the time I get to my seats I've usually spent the better part of 2 hrs at a local establishment and I've got a happy little glow on and that does me for the night...except when I take my hip flask. :wink:

so after a couple of hours of throwing down the deluxe beers, wouldn't you be hitting the dunny pretty hard :? How far do you have to go at the Gabba to get to the trough :?: I know at Suncorp Stadium you can get there pretty quickly, same with the bars ... very handy 8)

not like the old days on the "hill" at Lang Park. You had to wait 20 minutes to buy your 6-pack, then after drinking them.. we'd piss in 'em and roll em down the hill onto the other drunken punters :twisted: bugger waiting 1/2 an hour to go to the dunny.

Flowergirl
25th July 2005, 04:29 PM
Also knew you were a class act Jarro :shock:

gazgolf1
25th July 2005, 05:18 PM
except when I take my hip flask. :wink:
Does anyone suspect you when you walk past the gistapo (sp) at the front gate ? Especially with such a decent bulge in your pants.

I'll let the decent bulge one go through to the keeper and just say big jacket. :)

gazgolf1
25th July 2005, 05:19 PM

so after a couple of hours of throwing down the deluxe beers, wouldn't you be hitting the dunny pretty hard  :?  How far do you have to go at the Gabba to get to the trough :?:  I know at Suncorp Stadium you can get there pretty quickly, same with the bars ... very handy  8)

Yeah no worries for a slash...quite handy to our seats. :wink: