PDA

View Full Version : Best course almost to open - The Golf Club San Remo

spanner039
10th September 2011, 06:44 PM
Going through some old photos of The Golf Club @ San Remo from my Superintendent days - its just a paddock again now but took these when i was offered the gig - which i didnt accept - course folded three months after. Im not sure of the hole numbers (i know 12 - 16 just not sure of what number goes with what) and some of the pics dont do justice to what i thought could have become a top 5 Aussie track. The front never got built, magnificent land. Im sure ive got a heap more taken about 2008

This is my first go at putting up photos if i haven't done it right sorry

spanner039
10th September 2011, 06:53 PM
Some More

spanner039
10th September 2011, 07:09 PM
It was almost there and a number of holes very playable - Yes met Marsh there for the tour, at the time he was pretty stoked with how it was going.

rodders
10th September 2011, 07:28 PM
Would have been stunning.

Same mob as St Andrews and Kennedy Bay wasn't it?

Hawkers2008
10th September 2011, 08:27 PM
Would have been stunning.

Same mob as St Andrews and Kennedy Bay wasn't it?

Yep, prime golf or some such

BrettM
10th September 2011, 08:31 PM
No, it wasn't Prime Golf. They run Kennedy Bay and Kalgoorlie but didn't do San Remo.

I thought the site had sold recently at San Remo and there was some interest in moving ahead with the course.

Hawkers2008
10th September 2011, 08:53 PM
Yep, prime golf or some such

Can't remember the right name, whoever it was that went tits up was also running Kennedy Bay and St Andrews Beach when they went tits up. KB and SAB have been rescued, I don't think San Remo is that likely to see the light of day, unlike the other two courses it was a long way short of being finished.

MegaWatty
10th September 2011, 08:53 PM
Troon golf?

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2011, 09:41 PM
Can't remember the right name, whoever it was that went tits up was also running Kennedy Bay and St Andrews Beach when they went tits up. KB and SAB have been rescued, I don't think San Remo is that likely to see the light of day, unlike the other two courses it was a long way short of being finished.

The head owner of the group was John Hendra. I'll post the name if I think of it.

BayBum
10th September 2011, 10:30 PM
Golf Course Properties ?

http://www.theage.com.au/business/golf-dream-bunkered-by-46-million-debt-20090613-c6s3.html

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2011, 10:50 PM
We have a winner.

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2011, 10:57 PM
San Remo does look pretty impressive.

BayBum
10th September 2011, 11:19 PM
Its amazing to me (and sad for golf) that they can get so far into construction & then fail so epically:?

rubin
11th September 2011, 12:12 AM
Its amazing to me (and sad for golf) that they can get so far into construction & then fail so epically:?

I agree. Normally these things will fail well before the start of construction and planning. I would have thought that given the level of debt, it may have been more beneficial to the creditors to continue construction and sell it off. Theres obviously a he'll of a lot more to it than jus what the article said.

spanner039
11th September 2011, 12:15 PM
No, it wasn't Prime Golf. They run Kennedy Bay and Kalgoorlie but didn't do San Remo.

I thought the site had sold recently at San Remo and there was some interest in moving ahead with the course.

Would love to see it go ahead again but given the slow down in new course construction. I can't see any one taking the risk. Perhaps someone with a build it and they will come attitude will take it on.

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2011, 01:20 PM
Group buy!

MegaWatty
11th September 2011, 01:27 PM
I'm not organising it!

Webster
11th September 2011, 01:39 PM
I seem to recall the only reason it (partially) opened was so they could settle apartment pre-sales?

chappy1970
12th September 2011, 09:26 AM
I went for a drive to the site whilst down at the island earlier this year, got out of the car and had a look see.

What has happened is a shame as it would have been frickin amazing.

BrettM
12th September 2011, 04:43 PM
Don't write it off, I know people who have been down there to look at it and get it going again.

ParkRoyal
20th September 2011, 11:30 AM
Surely a pay for play could be viable there, being right next to a very popular holiday destination being Phillip Island and there being relatively small amount of courses in that area (as opposed to the other side of the peninsula) it could work. With a work force from the desal plant and with some rumors of more development being allowed down that way, there seems to me that there could be a future.