PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Launcher SL 290 - anyone tried these drivers

Pinglauncher
9th September 2011, 07:03 PM
Just picked up one of the new Launcher fairways with the Myazaki shaft and very impressed. Interested in the new drivers with the same shaft.

Does anyone have one of the new superlite drivers in play at all

Jarro
9th September 2011, 07:07 PM
I think jaybam is/was using one of these ??

jaybam
9th September 2011, 07:21 PM
Got one of the 290;s as the 270 was way too light. Without fail the best driver i have hit to date and also longer than anything else i have hit by a mile. Cant go wrong mate. I also have the matching 3 wood and the shaft is just lovley.

Captain Nemo
9th September 2011, 07:30 PM
L4G is a bit of a Clevo Driver HO!

Pinglauncher
9th September 2011, 07:32 PM
Got one of the 290;s as the 270 was way too light. Without fail the best driver i have hit to date and also longer than anything else i have hit by a mile. Cant go wrong mate. I also have the matching 3 wood and the shaft is just lovley.

How do you find the shaft compares to that in the 3 wood as far as flex goes. Also how does the launch compare to other drivers of similar loft. Higher or lower.

jaybam
9th September 2011, 08:13 PM
I am hitting this driver higher than any other 10.5 I have hit which for me is strange as I don't hit the ball very high at all. I play the reg shafts in them ands can't fault them at all. Only problem I had at first was over swinging them which you dont need to do if you have the right flex. Once I slowed it down a bit wow huge difference. Playing from further down the fairway than I have before.

Lazer
1st October 2011, 11:41 AM
I play the 9* SL 290 and the 15* FL 3W in stiff and absolutely love these clubs. I certainly would recommend them in any short list of clubs to try before you buy.

rubin
1st October 2011, 12:06 PM
Nuffies got one of these - and I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he's getting Some extra distance from it as well.

xe1
2nd October 2011, 08:31 AM
Awesome club got a sl290 for $179 from 3balls open box. Awesome club and shaft. Will be getting a fairway this week.

Nuffie
3rd October 2011, 11:15 AM
In reference to Rubin's earlier post, I have been hitting the TL 310 now for almost a month. And wow, what awesome carry and run it gets. This thing is the best head/ shaft combo, for a factory fitted setup that Ive ever hit. The tour weighted head helps me load the stiff shaft better, even added a bit of lead tape.

Picking it up for 130 USD was a steal. JC had a hit with this thing at Hartfield on the 18th two weeks ago. I'll let him tell you how good it went.

In a few weeks I might even put a shoemaker in it.

Yossarian
3rd October 2011, 11:30 AM
Not a butcher a baker a candlestick maker? A shoemaker?

Nuffie
3rd October 2011, 12:50 PM

Yes Yoss. Did u hear that the shotmaker model that I'm checking out atm is the 'shoemaker' version? Coz it's meant to work so well in fact that some demo staff have suggested... it has capabilities of making anyone that hits it feel 'too big for their boots' ;)

Johnny Canuck
3rd October 2011, 01:54 PM

Nice.

ParkRoyal
4th October 2011, 12:06 PM
I hit the SL290 as a demo, and whilst I found the setup forgiving and felt pretty good, I lost a bit of distance on it and couldn't go after it without the feeling of balooning it. Is the TL310 a bit more stout and able to handle a quicker swing?

rick3003
4th October 2011, 08:15 PM
I hit the SL290 as a demo, and whilst I found the setup forgiving and felt pretty good, I lost a bit of distance on it and couldn't go after it without the feeling of balooning it. Is the TL310 a bit more stout and able to handle a quicker swing?
The TL310 is a smaller lower spinning head and the shaft is heavier.

Nuffie
7th October 2011, 11:46 AM
The shaft in the TL310 is a 59g S.

The headsize is about 440cc.

The other models have a much lighter shaft, though I've never hit them. I was so impressed with the tour model and liked the extra weight.

Johnny Canuck
7th October 2011, 11:54 AM
59 grams is pretty light, nuff

Nuffie
7th October 2011, 12:12 PM
59 grams is pretty light, nuff

Yeah true that, but for some reason the ballflight was still very penetrative (for me). Whenever I reach for more, it just goes further.

Even though it's light it's quite tip stiff and the head is very low spin. Adding a little lead tape helped even more.

When you hit it at Harty, it went like a missile.

ParkRoyal
7th October 2011, 12:25 PM
Nuffie, where did you pick it up for $130?

Nuffie
7th October 2011, 05:00 PM
Purchased it from a private seller in the USA. Got it when $1 AUD was buying $1.06 USD.

He charged $137 AUD and 30 for postage (USPS). It took a few weeks to get here with the hold ups going on in August with USPS (Chicago) but that wasn't a real issue.