PDA

View Full Version : Playing my first round matchplay on Sat

Eag's
9th June 2004, 03:23 PM
Last time I played matchplay was about 10 years ago :shock:
It's the first round of the B grade matchplay so should be fun.
Wish me luck :smt009

Taylor360
9th June 2004, 03:37 PM
Good luck for it :)

I have never played matchplay before but I would love to try it. This Saturday there is an Honour Board event and the top 16 nett qualify for matchplay the next weekend, fingers crossed I make it :o

Let us know how you go

nudgee
9th June 2004, 03:50 PM
mate tell your opponent that - he's got nuthing after the first drive and then proceed to blow one pass his and then watch the poor sod crumble to pieces :wink:

Jarro
9th June 2004, 05:01 PM
good luck mate. you'll nail him :wink:

just remember everything Chris has taught you :wink:

Onewood
9th June 2004, 05:04 PM
Just ask him "how long have you had that twitch in your back swing" :wink: :D

jaster
9th June 2004, 05:23 PM
There is nothing better than head to head matchplay, knowing that you have to play another golfer straightup is always exciting and also can be humbling depending on the result.
IMO it is a better form of golf and luckily this year like you Eag's was my first go for 10 years and I had a little bit of success :wink:

My Tips: -

There is nothing more demoralising than watching your opponent hit it down the middle all day. As soon as he hits one in the trees it does wonders for your confidence ;) Same goes for his when you do :)

Pars win more holes than Birdies and beat a bogey everytime.

Be careful to read up on the matchplay rules if you have not played for a while as they are different.

Have fun and be gracious in victory or gallant in defeat.

McMw
9th June 2004, 05:43 PM
the first matchplay I ever took part in was in Junior Penants in RP...
it's amazing...
AT RP, the Juniors teed off on the 9th tee, which is away from the clubhouse, so no big deal there...

but one time we played at WAGC and all divisions teed off the first...
WOW...with everyone watching, it was a real knee-jerker!!! :shock: :shock:

I used to get nervous before each comp...but I don't anymore...

but last year, when I played my first ever club champs m/play at my course, nerves didn't go away till abt the 4th or 5th...
I don't know what help or tip I can offer, but I guess over-preparation is better than under-preparation...and take your time!!! (it is afterall only a 2ball!!!) :wink:

AndyP
9th June 2004, 07:45 PM
Eag's, I just had my first matchplay on Saturday, and I found it very hard not to be nervous over most shots. The good thing is that you can put a bad hole behind you and concentrate on the next. And you are not playing against the scoreboard, just one guy. So you could play bad and still win. :D

Courty
9th June 2004, 08:02 PM
Matchplay is not the time to be tinkering with any part of your game. If you have any faults, just allow for them. Trust your swing and be confident. If you have a bad hole, it's only one hole. Step up on the next tee like you're starting on the first with a blank card. Every hole is a game unto itself. And most importantly, have fun!

markTHEblake
9th June 2004, 08:48 PM
There is nothing more demoralising than watching your opponent hit it down the middle all day.

dont watch him then..... I dont.

and expect your opponent to hit a perfect shot everytime, that way you dont get dissapointed when he does.

andylo
9th June 2004, 11:30 PM
I read DG's "My Shot" article.... I think it's from the great Bobby Jones.

It's saying something like: "Nervous not equal Concertrate. Some people think they are concertrating but they are actually nervous".

Eag, just don't think too much, concertrate, grip it and RIP IT with you best. I know you can do it :)

Good luck.

Iain
10th June 2004, 03:01 AM
Go get 'em Eaq's! :smt023

Flowergirl
10th June 2004, 08:08 AM
Good luck Eags :D Keep us posted.

Also just reading all the comments from the other guys......I think I'll take it on board when I play.............not just in matchplay. Golf is such a mental game isn't it? It sure drives me mental!!!!

Golfgirl
10th June 2004, 02:12 PM
The good thing is that you can put a bad hole behind you and concentrate on the next. And you are not playing against the scoreboard, just one guy.

Wise words from AndyP..... :wink:

Good luck Eag's.... keep us posted.... :D

Eag's
10th June 2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys & gals :D
I will let you all know how things pan out :wink:

AndyP
10th June 2004, 07:20 PM
Wise words from AndyP..... :wink:

A rarity. :roll:

mike
10th June 2004, 10:33 PM
Eag's I lost the first round of my club match play last week. 2/1.
It was a handicap matchplay ( is your's ? ) I had to give him 3 shots.
Here's the story. Looking back I think I only missed 1 fairway all day, and hit 11 GIR. My opponent missed more greens and fairways than he hit , but had an amazing ability to scramble .
The turning point of the day was the 10th. We were square at the time. Short par 4 , I was 12 feet from the hole for 2. He was plugged in a bunker with a downhill lie for 2. He blasted out to within 2 inches of the hole, and I was so rattled by this I 3 putted. :evil:

Moral to the story is NEVER give up on a hole. Even when it appears lost. And never assume you've won a hole until you have.

Good luck.

Eag's
12th June 2004, 05:15 PM
Lost my match today 1 down :(
We played handicap matchplay so I was up against a bloke off 7.
I played terrible, snap hooked almost every drive :evil:
Shanked 3 bloody shots, and also threw in some ugly fat irons.
The only thing that kept me in the match was my short game.

I was 5 down with 5 to play then managed to produce some decent golf shots and won the next 4 holes :)
Going down the last 1 down, I hit it to 15 feet but 3 putted :cry:
Missed a 4 footer that would of taken us to the 19th.

The bloke I played holed 4 puts over 30 feet today :shock:
Also on two occasions, while chipping on, his ball belted mine :shock: both times his ball was racing off the green and ended up stopping around 6 feet from the hole. He won both those holes.

Not trying to make excuses but breaks like that mess with your mind.
Anyways a poor display of golf on my part, back to the drawing board :wink:

jaster
12th June 2004, 05:20 PM
Bad luck mate, it's always BS playing handicap matchplay as it is not a real test of golf :( You did very well though by taking him to the last and you should feel very proud. Just think if you had your A game :)

Did you have the "WING TEES" to try? :wink:

Jarro
12th June 2004, 05:47 PM
Lost my match today 1 down :(

bad luck buddy :(

suppose you just have to put it down as experience :roll:

next time mate, next time.

AndyP
12th June 2004, 07:27 PM
Bad luck, Eag's. Looks like you did well to keep so close, considering where your drives were going.

I'm sure your next matchplay round will go better.

Eag's
13th June 2004, 05:09 AM
jaster wrote
Did you have the "WING TEES" to try?

No mate, haven't got mine yet?

AndyP
13th June 2004, 05:30 AM
No mate, haven't got mine yet?
Start making some noise then. You've paid for them haven't you? :twisted:

Golfgirl
13th June 2004, 10:17 AM
Better luck next time Eags.... but congratulations on taking the match to the 18th anyway... always good to have a close match.

Onewood
13th June 2004, 05:18 PM
Bad luck eags, it can be a cruel game :roll: To play so bad and be in there at the last is a good effort :D well done

Iain
14th June 2004, 10:19 AM
Bad Luck Eaq's, but great work to almost take it to extra holes!! Just shows how important the short game is.