PDA

View Full Version : Found: More forgiving Irons - What's out there

live4golf
6th September 2011, 05:08 AM
OK, my curiosity has been raised after hitting a solid round with burner irons. Anyone got some more forgiving irons out there for me to have a play with?

I'd prefer something in 3 to PW and with good quality shaftage (Project X 6.0, KBS Tour) and something in the Mizuno, Titleist, TM range, but will consider almost anything.

Thanks.

Ferrins
6th September 2011, 07:00 AM
I could sell you a set of TM R7 TP heads 3-pw for $180 posted.

Got DGS200 shafts in them at the moment.

markTHEblake
6th September 2011, 07:12 AM
Callaway or Ping shovels. IMHO Mizuno, Titleist, TM do not know how to make forgiving clubs.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2011, 07:14 AM
... and the added bonus with GI clubs is their strong lofts. You should be able to use your PW as a new driver.

live4golf
6th September 2011, 07:19 AM

Cheers for the offer but I have the R9 TP's and tried R7's a while ago.

live4golf
6th September 2011, 07:21 AM
hmmm Ping. Pete, when are you getting more i15's in again? :)

the loft is an issue, yeah. not a major fan of the stronger lofts really messes with the wedges

Captain Nemo
6th September 2011, 07:24 AM
Ping Zing 2's ZZ65's
You won't hit a better shovel, period!

live4golf
6th September 2011, 07:42 AM
should have mentioned, this is a fleeting interest and I don't want to spend a million dollars on this, I mean I do have some clubs I need to offload and the R9's will probably stay in the bag for a while (sorry Goon).

I thought the Ping Zing's were not legal?

Captain Nemo
6th September 2011, 07:53 AM
Some Copper Be or whatever..........
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=illegal+ping+golf+clubs

live4golf
6th September 2011, 07:56 AM
sorry mate, Google does not work in China. smartarse.

How are those Ping wedges going for you?

:)

3oneday
6th September 2011, 08:44 AM
Well..... I found the i15's had too much offset in the long irons, couldn't look at them.

I used a set of TM CB's on the weekend, loved them. Chunky and forged, thousands worth of forgiveness. Last 2 holes I hit 3 iron to 20 feet and a 4 iron to 15 feet. Just pure.

Funny thing, I also bought a set of R9 irons, non TP. Check the specs, the R9 has less offset and is virtually the same head. You can have the R9 irons to play with, 4 to gap wedge with stiff KBS 90, $440 brand new.

just
6th September 2011, 08:56 AM
... and the added bonus with GI clubs is their strong lofts. You should be able to use your PW as a new driver.
A bit of an exaggeration, most players and GI clubs have roughly the same lofts these days, I can't think of one major brand where the lofts of their players irons are "traditional"

virge666
6th September 2011, 09:07 AM

A bit of an exaggeration, most players and GI clubs have roughly the same lofts these days, I can't think of one major brand where the lofts of their players irons are "traditional"

Yep - by design they just launch to high to have traditional lofts...

Daves
6th September 2011, 09:21 AM
Have you tried the CG16s?

becaben
6th September 2011, 05:41 PM
What about a set of 4-P Callaway X-tours ??
They're tour level forged players iron but with plenty of forgiveness thanks to an undercut channel. So its kinda like a "Tour Shovel"
These have Rifle Flighted 5.5s in 'em with near new Red/Black New Decade grips

PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics

KristianJ
6th September 2011, 05:51 PM
sorry mate, Google does not work in China. smartarse.

So you can't find authentic shovels over there to bring home?

hardboiled
6th September 2011, 06:18 PM
How about Bridgestone J36 Pocket cavities.. Project X 5.5 Shafts.
Forged forgiveness!!

TheTrueReview
6th September 2011, 06:40 PM

That's easy. For example, have a look at Wilson Staff & the lofts of the FG Tour compared to the GI models. Traditional lofts vs strong lofts.

just
6th September 2011, 06:51 PM
That's easy. For example, have a look at Wilson Staff & the lofts of the FG Tour compared to the GI models. Traditional lofts vs strong lofts.
Sure you can cherry pick a few examples where companies have made their game improvement much stronger, but in general there is not much difference. And thanks for making my point FG Tours aren't traditional lofts, they are strong. To make my point even better Ping G20 PW 45* compared to latest Mizuno blade the MP 69, not much different.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2011, 07:28 PM
... And thanks for making my point FG Tours aren't traditional lofts, they are strong. ...

You had me at 'hello' but you lost me with that one. FG Tours (http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/fgtourirons/) don't have traditional specs? What's wrong with a 47 degree pitching wedge?
See also ⇒ FG 62 iron's specs (http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/fg62/).

Cf. Ci9 irons (http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/ci9/) ⇒ PW 44 degrees. Even better yet, Di11 irons (http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/di11/) ⇒ PW 42.5 degrees.

markTHEblake
6th September 2011, 07:55 PM
There is some merit in lowering the lofts of shorter irons because the CoG in modern heads is much lower thus ball goes higher. How much is warranted and how much is for marketing longer distances would be difficult to quantify.

What is important is to get the right gaps between your irons, traditional lofts and gaps may not be right for everyone.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2011, 08:21 PM
There is some merit in lowering the lofts of shorter irons because the CoG in modern heads is much lower thus ball goes higher. How much is warranted and how much is for marketing longer distances would be difficult to quantify.

What is important is to get the right gaps between your irons, traditional lofts and gaps may not be right for everyone.

Well said MTB.

just
6th September 2011, 08:22 PM
You had me at 'hello' but you lost me with that one. FG Tours (http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/fgtourirons/) don't have traditional specs? What's wrong with a 47 degree pitching wedge?
You are making pointless generalisations based on specific examples (I'm sure you could find few extra if you tried). Sure some companies make extra strong lofted clubs everyone acknowledges this. However most don't and there isn't much difference between most game improvement clubs and the players clubs.
This is closer to traditional:
http://www.ping.com/classics/ironsdetail.aspx?id=2628 where a 51* pitching wedge was the norm, making 47* strong lofted.

Spot on Blakey..

Ultimately if you don't like strong lofted clubs don't play them and spare us the generalisations.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2011, 08:54 PM
You are making pointless generalisations based on specific examples ....

Pointless? I don't think so my curmudgeonly friend. Heaven forbid the proffering up of examples to support an argument.

Keep cyber-bullying me & I'll un-friend you from my Facebook page. :razz:

Yossarian
6th September 2011, 08:56 PM
What about a set of 4-P Callaway X-tours ??
They're tour level forged players iron but with plenty of forgiveness thanks to an undercut channel. So its kinda like a "Tour Shovel"
These have Rifle Flighted 5.5s in 'em with near new Red/Black New Decade grips

PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics

How do these compare to X-20 tours?

just
6th September 2011, 08:59 PM
Keep cyber-bullying me & I'll un-friend you from my Facebook page. :razz:
Ha, caught, I'm not on this "Facebook" thing!

3oneday
6th September 2011, 10:08 PM
It would only matter if the users were good enough to tell, so generally around here it's a pointless argument :)

Outcast
6th September 2011, 10:12 PM
It would only matter if the users were good enough to tell, so generally around here it's a pointless argument :)

LMFAO.....so so true 3OD....

The CG16 Tours I'm getting are a little differently spaced than I am used to which is leading to a stronger PW (by 2*) the only heartache I have is between having the PW softened by one degree (maybe) and choosing the right lofts in the two wedges I will have room for in my bag.

As MTB stated, it ain't the lofts that are the problem... it's having the right gaps to cover the various distances...

Peppas
6th September 2011, 10:18 PM
Might have a set of Callaway X-20s with uniflex shafts available :)

markTHEblake
6th September 2011, 10:37 PM
Getting back on track
OK, my curiosity has been raised after hitting a solid round with burner irons. Anyone got some more forgiving irons out there for me to have a play with?

Have a look at this chart, they are rated for "playability" which might be another or better way of saying forgiving. Dont worry too much about the details, just know this, the clubs that rate highest are in principle;
- lower centre of gravity
- centre of gravity further from the heel (ie sweet spot)
- higher MOI

Thus if someone offers you a club that is low down on that list, stay away.

There is a reason why Callaways dominates the top of this list, and also the market. Its no secret what it takes to make an easier to hit golf club but for some reason most manufacturers do not want to follow that lead.

http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2011MPFRatingsChart.pdf

Peppas
6th September 2011, 10:41 PM
Listen to MTB ok PJ

Callaway X-20 = 1051 MPF AWESOMENESS OH YEAH!

Yossarian
6th September 2011, 10:48 PM
So why don't you game them.

Peppas
6th September 2011, 10:53 PM

I do

PeteyD
8th September 2011, 08:14 PM
Thinking on getting some Callaway FTs (not the i-brids).

Oldplayer
11th September 2011, 06:30 PM

May not be one of the "major" OEM's but Epon AF Tours (their current blade) have pw at 48*.

Jarro
11th September 2011, 06:31 PM

I do

well that's settled then

:lol:

just
11th September 2011, 06:35 PM
May not be one of the "major" OEM's but Epon AF Tours (their current blade) have pw at 48*.
My Alpha shovels have a PW that is 47* and those Miuras are still 2* to 3* strong, all we are showing is that we have adjusted to a new definition of traditional and will more than likely adjust again in the future.