PDA

View Full Version : Replacing putter grip

jaybam
5th September 2011, 09:52 PM
I know this is probably already in here somewhere but I will ask again as it is easier. I want to take the grip off one of my putters then cut it down to a better length for my short ass. Question is what sort of glue do I use to put the new grip on? Only ask as I am sick of paying too much money for a pro shop to do it. I don't want to go and buy litres of the stuff as I won't be doing it very often. Best advice please oh smart ones.
Thanks in advance
Jaybam.

timah!
5th September 2011, 09:52 PM
Masking tape and air... ;)

jaybam
5th September 2011, 09:53 PM

Yes would work well but alas I don't have a compressor.

Daves
5th September 2011, 09:53 PM

x 2, no glue needed.

jaybam
5th September 2011, 10:01 PM
x 2, no glue needed.

Again if I don't have a compressor how do I do that? Hence the question about glue ???

hocko
5th September 2011, 10:02 PM
Indeed, masking tape and pop some soapy water on it and inside the grip and slip it on.
The water will dry and the grip will be nice and tight.

jaybam
5th September 2011, 10:02 PM
So put the masking tape sticky side up?

hocko
5th September 2011, 10:05 PM
No need, just stick it to the shaft in an even fashion and soap it up.

Daves
5th September 2011, 10:07 PM
You don't need to glue it as hocko says, friction and masking tape will hold it in place no problems.

hocko
5th September 2011, 10:11 PM
Indeed, masking tape and pop some soapy water on it and inside the grip and slip it on.
The water will dry and the grip will be nice and tight.

You don't need to glue it as hocko says, friction and masking tape will hold it in place no problems.
I didn't mention glue?

Daves
5th September 2011, 10:13 PM
I didn't mention glue?

Trouble with comprehension hocko?

hocko
5th September 2011, 10:20 PM
Trouble with comprehension hocko?
I don't read well but i can fit putter grips.:oops:

Progolfgear
6th September 2011, 08:26 AM
PM me your address, I will send you a 'sample' of my water activated grip tape.

As others above had said, don't necessarily need glue for a putter grip, but that being said, there is no way I would be putting my own grips on without using any form of glue...

jaybam
6th September 2011, 08:31 AM
PM me your address, I will send you a 'sample' of my water activated grip tape.

As others above had said, don't necessarily need glue for a putter grip, but that being said, there is no way I would be putting my own grips on without using any form of glue...

Cool thanks for that. Am looking on you tube at how to do it videos. Doesn't look too hard and at worst I waste a grip. But I like to try and learn sometimes.

Progolfgear
6th September 2011, 09:13 AM
If you do get stuck, you shouldn't waste a grip, will just mean it needs to be removed with an air compressor or syringe.

IanO
6th September 2011, 10:33 AM
Where are you located jaybam?

jaybam
6th September 2011, 11:01 AM
Live up Ipswich way and work at darra.

timah!
6th September 2011, 11:17 AM
Jaybam, I you can bring it to coopers plains tomorrow I'll do it and drop it back to you on Friday.

jaybam
6th September 2011, 11:24 AM
Jaybam, I you can bring it to coopers plains tomorrow I'll do it and drop it back to you on Friday.

Thanks for the offer mat but then my gumby ass won't learn anything lol. But if I can't figure it out I will let you know and ask for help then lol. Cheers

Daves
6th September 2011, 11:27 AM
Do you have one of these or something similar, and a suitable fixed vice? Might be a bit a task without air or a vice.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_RSC

virge666
6th September 2011, 12:36 PM
If you have no vicey tools... just hairspray will do the trick.

Take old one off - cut it down and spray the end in hairspray - slide the grip on and as the hairspray dries... the grip will glue itself on.

Use cheap arse hairspray for $3 from the local supermarket.

Webster
6th September 2011, 12:49 PM
Use some glue so it doesn't slip

timah!
6th September 2011, 12:54 PM
How would it slip? :wink:

Webster
6th September 2011, 12:55 PM
Lack of glue

3oneday
6th September 2011, 12:58 PM
Get a tube of plastic cement, also known as bostic.

Have strips of newspaper nearby to wipe the excess away when you slide it on. Watch it doesn't shoot you ;)

timah!
6th September 2011, 12:58 PM
Riiiight ;)

virge666
6th September 2011, 01:48 PM
Use some glue so it doesn't slip

How would it slip? :wink:

Lack of glue

Hairspray is already a glue, or a lacquer if you want to get technical.

jaybam
6th September 2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the different types of advice gents. Appreciate it and look forward to trying out which one works best :)

jaybam
9th September 2011, 09:36 PM
I appreciate all the advice and was lookin forward to doing this but whilst I was waiting for tee off today I was looking in the redone oxley proshop and they guy in there cut down my ghost to 33 inch and put a red iomic grip on for 20 bucks so I will experiment on an older putter now.

MegaWatty
9th September 2011, 11:01 PM
Hahaha. Lazy boy. ;)

TourFit
9th September 2011, 11:39 PM
I appreciate all the advice and was lookin forward to doing this but whilst I was waiting for tee off today I was looking in the redone oxley proshop and they guy in there cut down my ghost to 33 inch and put a red iomic grip on for 20 bucks so I will experiment on an older putter now.

Add some weight to the little pockets on the sole, use lead tape cut to size...the shorter putter will feel MUCH lighter at 33" otherwise.