PDA

View Full Version : Slow Play - sorted.

virge666
31st August 2011, 10:27 AM
This weekend @ Bayview Golf Club

==============================

SaturdayTrial

This Saturdaywe will be trialing a new software system designed to manage speed of play.Essentially each group captain will be given a GPS unit which will track yourlocation on the course and provide the pro shop and management of your realtime position in the field. The club can then message your group to warn you ofthe time your group has lost and if required send a staff member out toMarshall your group.

A report is generated for each group and a record is kept for each player. Thesystem also permits the club to warn all players of such things as anelectrical storm and bring players off the course, the unit may also be usedfor medical alert therefore it has more than just slow play managementbenefits.

Saturday is a trial only and we look forward to seeing the system in operation.

http://static.impactdata.com.au/email-images/5526/201183110523/solution%20240%20aerial%20view%20copy_resized_232_ 287.jpg http://static.impactdata.com.au/email-images/5526/201183110523/solution%20240%20report_resized_234_346.jpg

Jarro
31st August 2011, 10:28 AM
Oh boy, this could get very interesting !!

3oneday
31st August 2011, 10:45 AM
Time lost to what measure though ? Pokey courses would always be slower in my opinion, + too many folk these days think they can hit it 300.

Jarro
31st August 2011, 10:47 AM
Time lost to what measure though ? Pokey courses would always be slower in my opinion, + too many folk these days think they can hit it 300.

Oh yeah, we've got plenty of older member who think this :lol:

virge666
31st August 2011, 11:11 AM

Oh yeah, we've got plenty of older member who think this :lol:

No arguement from me there... Last Saturday we had the blokes in front waiting to hit into the 3rd green from about 255m !

It took them 2 shots to get the ball 290m, so obviously the next shot was a no brainer...

I cannot wait to see how this pans out... we have 3 holes that just bank people up.. our 4th is 190m par 3 uphill to a bitch of a green, our 11th is a dicky 260m uphill par 4 with trouble everywhere...

This will be cool to see.

rodders
31st August 2011, 11:33 AM
That is great!

solarman
31st August 2011, 12:18 PM
Anything is worth a try.
Trouble is someone needs to enforce it.
What happens here is that when we finallay get a marshall out they drive up to the slow people and tell them to hurry it up..... but then laugh about it.
Back to square one again after 2 more holes.
The slow ones are generally older folk who also have been with teh club since the light bulb was invented.

markTHEblake
31st August 2011, 12:43 PM
Interesting. The Gps units themselves will cost stuff all,probably around $20-40. But they will need a gprs connection but the data volumes will be insignificant. You can get these for your kida to spy on them just hide it in there bag :-) No dought the value is in the software and whoever developed this is probably going to be rolling in it.

3oneday
31st August 2011, 01:22 PM
Couldn't you just chuck the GPS to the point it needs to be and pick it up later :)

wazandnic
31st August 2011, 01:32 PM
Great stuff Virge. I literally read about this last week and forwarded the site to a few of my mates this morning.

Seems like a very logical solution. I await with interest to see how the trials go.

I guess the only other issues is cost... upfront and maintenance... any idea of this V?

Cheers,
Waz

Yossarian
31st August 2011, 01:46 PM
You have 190m par 4?

virge666
31st August 2011, 01:52 PM
You have 190m par 4?

Make that a Par 3 ...

Jarro
31st August 2011, 01:53 PM
I hate long par 3's :(

virge666
31st August 2011, 01:55 PM

Same here - it is for untalented muppet designers who want to bump up the distance.

Bruce
31st August 2011, 02:36 PM
At the very least it is more data. You'll be able to see where the time is spent by the golfers as they make their way around if the time data is mapped at the right level. You may find more than just golfers' attitudes needs to be adjusted to speed up play.

timah!
31st August 2011, 04:01 PM
At the very least it is more data. You'll be able to see where the time is spent by the golfers as they make their way around if the time data is mapped at the right level. You may find more than just golfers' attitudes needs to be adjusted to speed up play.

This ^^^

sol381
31st August 2011, 04:20 PM
what is the main cause of slow play.. is it some idiots think they can hit 250 like you said virge when they can't drive 220.. is it people taking forever over their shot.. maximum 10 seconds over a wood or iron shot after address. putting may take a bit longer but 30 seconds to read and hit is more than enough.. any longer is just stupid. if this system works can serial offenders maybe get asked to tee off it the last few groups so they don't effect many players behind.. hard to enforce i know.. just baffles me how slow some people can play.. seems some correlation between high handicap and slower play. most good low cappers are petty quick. fast game is a good game

virge666
31st August 2011, 04:33 PM

Exactly . . . you might then bring up compulsory call up holes... or chnage the route or pin placements or something.

This I think is a cracking start !

AndyP
31st August 2011, 04:35 PM

wazandnic
31st August 2011, 04:58 PM
Exactly . . . you might then bring up compulsory call up holes... or chnage the route or pin placements or something.

This I think is a cracking start !

Agree. Eastlake had a big members forum recently on slow play and what came up among other things was:

- removal of call up on par 3's
- slow play bundy clock whereby you get penalised shots if say more than 12 mins behind group in front or disqualified if you are more than 18 mins behind.

These two items alone have massive pitfalls at Eastlake. Holes 16 (164m) and 17 (204m) are par 3's... and par 3's were you can easily rack up a big number or loose a ball or two. With then a decent walk between 17th green and 18th tee.
For example: You may have been waiting up the arse of the group in front for 15 holes, even waiting for them prior to tee off on 16 and not getting called up. They putt out on 16 and say they are in carts, they scoot off to 17. They have 4 easy pars on 17 and again scoot off to 18. Your group tees off on 16, walk the hole and loose a ball or two spending some time to look. Get to the 17th and group in front have cleared out. You tee off, walk the 200m par 3, again loose a ball or two or have a few 3 putts (tricky green the 17th!). So after finally walking the distance from 17th green to 18th tee (prob another 200m) suddenly you are more than a hole behind.
In the space of 2.5 holes you are suddenly penalised for slow play.

Not saying this has happened, but it is a common discussion amongst our group as we do always walk and have indeed experienced a day where a group of carts in front cleared out and we were almost running to keep up, which then caused the group behind to be penalised as we putt a hole on them.

Anyway what this program at least is doing is highlighting areas like this that could be an issue. Seems like it has a lot of merit to me?

As I say will be interested to hear how the trials go V and will likely forward on any info to those in power at Eastlake.

Cheers,
Waz

wayne23
31st August 2011, 05:48 PM
Read about this system as posted by Marto65 on 1/7/2011. Spoke to my Captain at CTHGC and forwarded information to him as requested. Result has been deafening silence.

I will be very interested in the result of the trial!

Any idea of system cost?

aussieashley
31st August 2011, 07:54 PM
Initially I think this will work great. As everyone will be aware of the GPS I think they will try & play fast.
This might wear off.

The Club should be able to get good info from it. Useful info.

wazandnic
31st August 2011, 08:35 PM
It will only wear off if the penalties for being identified as slow players is not carried through.

Bruce
1st September 2011, 10:07 AM
True Waz. But making sure the carrot as well as the stick is used to ensure compliance. If it is only used for handing out whacks then the system will be gamed or killed off.

kpac
1st September 2011, 11:22 AM
It's not the worst idea.

Weekend comp fee of $30 with $20 refunded with card handed in within the 5hrs has also done the rounds at a club on the GC.
Wont work as it'd lead to on course dust-ups. But something needs to be done.

I'm a shocker for hitting my ball out of turn, but i can't cop standing over my ball while someone has 3 practice swings changes clubs twice and resteps their yardage... if they're more than 10m away i fkn hitting. However by far the most annoying thing is waiting for people to play IN-TURN, where each player watches each players shot before even selecting a club and having a practice swing. Now that grinds me!

rubin
1st September 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm a shocker for hitting my ball out of turn, but i can't cop standing over my ball while someone has 3 practice swings changes clubs twice and resteps their yardage... if they're more than 10m away i fkn hitting. However by far the most annoying thing is waiting for people to play IN-TURN, where each player watches each players shot before even selecting a club and having a practice swing. Now that grinds me!

That shits me to tears. If im ready and your still stuffing around, i'll play. The worst is on the tee i think. Waiting for the winner of the last hole to tee-off (MP Exempted) is bullshit really. eg. 2 weeks ago, I won the 4th, and we were standing on the 5th, i said to the other guys in my group that im going to cut the corner, and so i'll wait to tee-off last (especially as the group ahead was within driving range for me) They turned and said they will wait for me as I won the last hole. The mindset of some of the people needs to be changed.

FYI - that was a 6hr round.

kpac
1st September 2011, 12:11 PM
Standing on the tee and waiting your turn may be polite... but if you stand there waiting your turn without a club in your hand you're a knob. end of story.
Dare i say golf carts do not help this attitude. If you had to average out carts and walkers, there's no prize for guessing which group generally plays at a better pace.

Steve57
1st September 2011, 12:29 PM
Standing on the tee and waiting your turn may be polite... but if you stand there waiting your turn without a club in your hand you're a knob. end of story.
Dare i say golf carts do not help this attitude. If you had to average out carts and walkers, there's no prize for guessing which group generally plays at a better pace.
Couldn't agree more.
I remember when I first started caddying at Woodlands in Melbourne that three and a half hour rounds were the norm before carts were even thought of!.

rubin
1st September 2011, 01:11 PM

absolutely. Walking i will 9 times out of 10 get to the ball with club in hand ready to play. Occasionally i've selected the wrong club and needed to change it, but thats not that often.

IanO
1st September 2011, 01:28 PM
Waiting for the winner of the last hole to tee-off (MP Exempted) is bullshit really.

I really hate it when people do that. I make a point on the 2nd tee that we are playing ready golf and first ready hits. (I find that with some people I have to repeat the same message on different holes)

There are a few guys I play with who are excellent. They know that they are short hitters so they get up there and hit as soon as the group in front is out of range, which is often when one or more of them are still to play their second shot.

Captain Nemo
1st September 2011, 05:31 PM

We have 2 190m par 3's!
We have a good system at our club
We bunny after each 9
If you are over a certain time behind the group in front, whole group gets dsq'd no ifs or but's.

matty
1st September 2011, 06:43 PM
I would love for this system to make a difference but also think it's a case of 'going in circles' as AndyP put it.

GPS isn't needed, although it will provide good info on slow parts of the course, but these would already be known anyway. What's needed is education of speedy play, which was drilled in to me as a kid by other players. It seems to be a forgotten art.
Some of those mentioned includes playing ready golf, shorter hitters hittng first, shorter hitters being realistic and not waiting for the green 230m away to clear while holding a 3 wood, but also if you get to the green and can have a putt while someone is yet to chip on and are sorting themselves out, do it, encourage someone to roll a putt up if someone is off the green and is a minute away from having a shot, when appropriate play out of turn on the fairway.

Blokes sharing a cart have to use their noggin. Drive to a ball, drop bloke off with right club, drive to other ball, both hit asap, bloke with cart pick other up further up fairway, instead of zigzagging between balls. Not friggin hard. I shouldn't beat the cart to the green every time.

One thing that gets me are hackers who pick the ball up on the green, clean it, re-align the stripe after every putt, then miss the two footer. If the ball looks clean putt the ****ker out.

I have to say every comp I play in the groups are only too keen to play ready golf. No one I play with insists on hitting with the honour.

Maybe the clubs should be more pro-active and put tips to speed up play in the newsletters.

markTHEblake
1st September 2011, 06:55 PM
but i can't cop standing over my ball while someone has 3 practice swings changes clubs twice and resteps their yardage...

I want to play you in the next matchplay event.

Veefore
1st September 2011, 07:56 PM
It looks like a great idea....but..
Identifying the slow players and holes was easy at our club. What to do about it is the problem.

We tried penalties. "I'm already 12 shots over my handicap, what's 2 more gonna do?" was the typical response.
We disqualified a group. Again, they were having a shit day and just threw their cards away and kept playing (slowly).
To do any more than those two things gets into legally murky ground according to the advice our club has had.

kpac
1st September 2011, 08:52 PM
I want to play you in the next matchplay event.

Sure, i'll just play my shot. Then you can swing away till you're hearts content. I'll be walking to my next shot.

markTHEblake
1st September 2011, 09:11 PM
Then you will be walking back to replay your shot, while I walk to mine :-)

I'd even let you hit a couple so you can walk back further!

(matchplay tip no 1, dont let on to prospective opponents what you annoys you on the golf course)

kev
1st September 2011, 10:58 PM
Does this take into account the hacker who shoots 110+? That has a remarkable ability to slow the field down. Especially when said hacker loses 8 balls - there's a legitimate 40 minutes gone...

markTHEblake
1st September 2011, 11:17 PM
its a myth that hackers are slow golfers, and every saturday there are lots of hackers on our courses. Yes looking for lost balls does slow the field down, thats a different kettle of fish than simply number of shots.

sol381
2nd September 2011, 06:39 AM
at wantima they have cut down a lot of trees, low lying branches and cut the rough short and generally tidied the course up.. my mate and i haven't lost a ball in ages .. not sure if it makes much of a difference but even playing behind the women we easily get round in under 4 hours. easy to find a wayward ball when you can actually see it..could be one thing that speeds up play a bit.

PerryGroves
2nd September 2011, 06:59 AM
We have 2 190m par 3's!

If you are over a certain time behind the group in front, whole group gets dsq'd no ifs or but's.

We have the same unfortunately you can sit behind a group for 16 holes, they race race the last two, someone loses a ball on 17 and you are toast.

One group to make a point walked 17 and 18 to get the group behind DQed (which contained the club pro).

Wish there was an answer, I can't see it so I have reluctantly just accepted whatever happens.

sms316
2nd September 2011, 07:01 AM
We should trial it at the Champs with AndyP being the guinea pig.

PerryGroves
5th September 2011, 01:54 PM
Virge, any mail on how it went?

virge666
5th September 2011, 07:04 PM
Virge, any mail on how it went?

Teed off at 12:07. Played in under 4 hours...

WTF ?????

Me and my playing partners were in the clubhouse just after 4pm, twiddling our thumbs and wondering how not to go home to the Missus. So we drank piss for 2 hours and called a taxi.

It is only one week... but 4 hours for a midday round at Bayview is rarer than rocking horse shit.

Lets see how this weekend turns out being the monthly medal.

Ned
5th September 2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rma/lowres/rman1125l.jpg

rubin
5th September 2011, 07:13 PM
Teed off at 12:07. Played in under 4 hours...

WTF ?????

Me and my playing partners were in the clubhouse just after 4pm, twiddling our thumbs and wondering how not to go home to the Missus. So we drank piss for 2 hours and called a taxi.

It is only one week... but 4 hours for a midday round at Bayview is rarer than rocking horse shit.

Lets see how this weekend turns out being the monthly medal.

What was the format?

Croydo
5th September 2011, 07:16 PM
From memory it was a 3 clubs and a putter that was a stableford

Courty
5th September 2011, 08:22 PM
We need this system up here. I had a 5 hour round with the weak-as-piss Captain on Saturday.

Outcast
5th September 2011, 08:47 PM
The most effective system I have experienced for managing slow play was at NSWGC; Clock on the first tee, write down your actual hitoff time, record time at halfway house, record time when walking off 18. First offence, group gets a letter of warning, second offence = suspension, 3rd offence = consideration of termination of membership or at least I recall that being the case in 2008. MT might be able to clarify...

Can't say I ever experienced a slow round at NSW so people apparently took it seriously and the stakes were pretty high... Have tried to suggest this method to 3 x Club Captains at Cairns GC and all I hear is how we couldn't possibly be that tough on people... This at a club where membership is $800 ish per year vice NSW with a $13,000 joining fee and $2800 annuals....

Our club hierarchy whinges about slow play with the best of them but, lacks the will to actually try anything to change it...

Courty
5th September 2011, 08:52 PM
Exactly Outcast. The Captain wouldn't do anything about it because they were his mates. I was astounded that he was defending the guys in front even though they were 2 holes behind! I told him that until they act, no one will take the matter seriously, but it fell on deaf ears "something to consider if I get voted back in next year". FFS!

IanO
7th September 2011, 05:06 PM
Last Saturday was Monthly Medal Stroke and I was in the 1st group off the 10th - 1st 9 in 1 hr 45 min - 2nd 9 in 2 hr 40 min! The group 3 in front of us is renowned for being slow and were at least a hole and a half behind. But this is really unusual as we are normally finished in 4 hrs. There are signs up on the 1st and 10th tees, hand-outs on the counter when you register and the Pro goes around in his cart to push people alone. All-in-all I think we are pretty good most of the time

wazandnic
13th October 2011, 12:57 PM
Virge... any update on this system?

Cheers,
Waz

virge666
13th October 2011, 01:03 PM
It worked well whilest it was being used...

then they stopped it . . . then we have a 6 hour round for the club champs . . .

got me f*cked ?

wazandnic
13th October 2011, 01:07 PM
Bugger...

Any chance they will buy into the system down the track?

virge666
13th October 2011, 02:39 PM
God - i hope so.

worked really well.

Croydo
13th October 2011, 04:04 PM
My understanding is the system costs $15,000, that may be a factor in it not being implemented

IanO
13th October 2011, 05:58 PM
What's that in memberships there? (3-5) Surely they could just elevate enough people from the waiting list and that would pay for it?

sms316
14th October 2011, 01:06 PM
Any chance of us trialling this on Courty this weekend?

Greeny
16th October 2011, 05:43 PM
That sounds really great. Very simple and incredibly easy to implement. But I've heard a similar reaction at my club too.

Courty
17th October 2011, 12:03 AM
Any chance of us trialling this on Courty this weekend?

FFS, really guys, isn't it time to move onto another topic. This joke and the many permutations have been milked to death for over 5 years!! In all honesty it was funny the first 1,000,000 variations but now it is just beginning to freaking annoy me - so please move on, since there is barely any truth to it - nothing more to milk here.

Surely you guys are clever enough to find another source of amusement.

sms316
17th October 2011, 07:03 AM
Shuddup slow poke.

IanO
17th October 2011, 09:45 AM
Surely you guys are clever enough to find another source of amusement. You're kidding? Right? :smt108

Clever? Hmmmm

Yossarian
19th February 2014, 02:41 PM
Played comp in 3 hours 20 today, 4 ball at the front of the field. The slow play supporters will tell you that slow play doesn't matter cause you are out on the golf course etc. But you don't notice quick rounds you just play. 5 hour rounds you most definitely notice.

oncewasagolfer
19th February 2014, 03:00 PM
Played in a 3 yesterday one of the guys was a 30 marker had no one in front holding us up took 4 hours and 30 minutes. Disgraceful and didn't enjoy it.

oldracer
19th February 2014, 03:06 PM
should have asked if u could play the 4th ball as well, save some of the boredom

3oneday
19th February 2014, 03:35 PM
Is county faster yet?

hacker
19th February 2014, 11:25 PM
How do I not become "that" guy? The comps I play in are stableford, except for monthly mugs which are stroke. It is a very social group with no-one in single figures, but I'd still rather be one of the faster players than one of the slower.

I already know to pick up my ball when I can't score points, take provisionals (and have a spare ball in a pocket to take them) often and watch where shots go.

Things I am trying to work on are club selection quicker but this could also being less reliant on my GPS and once I decide on a shot, take it, watch it and move on.

So what else do I need to to not be "that" guy?

Hatchman
20th February 2014, 01:22 AM
How do I not become "that" guy? The comps I play in are stableford, except for monthly mugs which are stroke. It is a very social group with no-one in single figures, but I'd still rather be one of the faster players than one of the slower.

I already know to pick up my ball when I can't score points, take provisionals (and have a spare ball in a pocket to take them) often and watch where shots go.

Things I am trying to work on are club selection quicker but this could also being less reliant on my GPS and once I decide on a shot, take it, watch it and move on.

If it's going to be your turn to hit next make sure your there first and ready to hit before the others catch up. Don't be last. Walk forward of others if on opposite sides of the fairway. Leave your buggy on the direct route from flag to the next tee not on the opposite side of the green. It's the collection of little things that save time.

Coldtopper
20th February 2014, 07:48 AM

So what else do I need to to not be "that" guy? You have it all covered! BE mindful when looking for lost balls. Its one point that I hate doing and I get the timer out early. ANyway happy hacking!

Dotty
20th February 2014, 08:38 AM
Lost balls are the second biggest time waster/consumer. I suggest watch where the ball enters the trees, and take note of which tree it went past. (All partners should do the same.) Too many times muppets are looking for their ball at 220m off the tee, when it entered the trees around 150m from the tee. Spread out when looking for a ball.

If you hit onto another fairway, keep an eye on your ball, if others are playing the fairway.

Be prepared to stop your conversation to play a shot or let others play their shots, especially on the tee.

The biggest time wasters are extended pre-shot routines, especially on the green, where three other have to wait around. Get an idea of the slope and speed by watching each ball land and run, make observations as you walk to the green and whilst others are putting. Pick the speed first, then the line, and just hit the ball on that line, at that speed.

Practice chipping and lob shots, and have an idea how to get out of a bunker first time.

Turn up 15mins before you tee time, to be ready (esp. if things are running ahead of schedule) and to set the tone for the day.

90% of the time 'ready golf' is contagious. For the other 10%, just don't put your name beside them in future (and readily drop their name around the clubhouse, when people complain about slow play).

mrbluu
20th February 2014, 08:43 AM

Being a social group and having a high candidate have nothing to do with each other. I know 2 guys, both on single figures, one very social the other not social at all and both slow as sh#t. There are plenty of C Graders other there that are quick.

Very good advice from the guys as well. I would like to add be ready to be the first to hit off every tee. Usually the fastest C graders that I play with are also the shortest hitters who are always ready to jump onto the tee. They are always ready to hit first on the tee and a ready to walk as soon as the last guy in the group hits off the tee. The other thing is they have a fast routine and but stick to it. Play fast by walking to your ball quickly and then go through your routine. I've seen plenty of guys worry about being slow, rush all their shots and end up taking an extra shot or 2 on the hole which further slows things down.

I also don't understand how being less reliant on your GPS can speed up your game?? If you have the right yardage and hit the right club, shouldn't this speed up your game??

Scifisicko
20th February 2014, 09:25 AM
If it's going to be your turn to hit next make sure your there first and ready to hit before the others catch up. Don't be last. Walk forward of others if on opposite sides of the fairway. Leave your buggy on the direct route from flag to the next tee not on the opposite side of the green. It's the collection of little things that save time.

This! especially the first part. Waiting for slow players on or near the line of your ball is the biggest contributor.

Scifisicko
20th February 2014, 09:33 AM
It looks like a great idea....but..
Identifying the slow players and holes was easy at our club. What to do about it is the problem.

We tried penalties. "I'm already 12 shots over my handicap, what's 2 more gonna do?" was the typical response.
We disqualified a group. Again, they were having a shit day and just threw their cards away and kept playing (slowly).
To do any more than those two things gets into legally murky ground according to the advice our club has had.

Put them at the back of the field for the next two rounds.

Daves
20th February 2014, 09:52 AM
It is all about playing ready golf, not just talking about it. As has been mentioned, you should always be ready to play when it is your turn. It is a mind set, but some just don't get it. Played with 2 guys in carts yesterday (1 a regular, the other I hadn't played with before), myself and the 4th were walking. The 2 in carts were never ready to play all day, even though they got to the next tee, and their tee shots at least 20 seconds before the 2 of us walking. And both had laborious rituals that they don't start till they are ready. One guys yesterday kept forgetting to take his glove off to putt. He would get over the ball and realise, and the whole ritual would start again! FFS!

Ditto what Dotty said re lost balls, said two yesterday kept looking 50m past where their balls actually were, despite being pointed to the right places beforehand! And then they try to play recovery shots that they couldn't hit in a month of Sundays! another lost ball and/or impossible shot coming up.

AndyP
20th February 2014, 11:44 AM
Royal Melbourne told us not to worry about looking for other player's balls until after you had played. I thought this was great.

LarryLong
20th February 2014, 12:07 PM
Royal Melbourne told us not to worry about looking for other player's balls until after you had played. I thought this was great.

I have to say that I like this idea, although being a chopper it does bring into play the possibility that I'll hit my second into the crap and not remember where I hit it after looking for the other guy's ball.

I am a bit of a tragic helper when it comes to lost balls, probably a throwback to my days as a kid, playing with my Dad who was always in the trees and had a habit of losing his temper with me if I couldn't help him find his ball. I'm actually trying to spend less time looking for other people's balls these days, and I'd love to have a standing rule like this to fall back on so I don't feel bad for not helping out.

My personal opinion is that golf would be vastly improved if you could just take an Irish drop for a penalty and move on after a minute of searching, but that's a pipe dream.

For my part, I now have a policy of not spending any longer than a minute looking for a ball, and I hit lots of provisionals, occasionally at times when people think I'm crazy for hitting a second ball. I also try to hit my provisional ball with zero pre-shot routine - just tee it up, stand back, and hit it. Sometimes I can get one out there while the last drive is still rolling.

Now that I think about that, my quick-load provisionals don't tend to be any worse than my average shot, so I'm going to try to play a whole round this way next time up. My pre-shot indecision over the ball is getting a little bit out of control, to the point where I'm becoming aware of how long I'm standing over it and not feeling good about it.

Ashes
21st February 2014, 02:28 PM

What's the normal etiquette on helping look for others balls?

AndyP
21st February 2014, 02:39 PM
I don't know what the official etiquette is, but you always sort of feel obliged to help someone look for their ball. I was tending towards dealing with my ball first, but felt like it was a bit of a bastard thing to do. Seeing RM put it down on paper, made me feel much better about doing it.

PeteyD
21st February 2014, 02:42 PM
If it is in tea tree they are on their own.

Shadesy
21st February 2014, 02:48 PM
Is county faster yet?

I never noticed he was Slow in Vic. We were a little behind at Woodlands but we were playing matchplay and made an effort to speed up.

Must have been an old joke.

Shadesy
21st February 2014, 02:48 PM

I will show you tomorrow.

AndyP
21st February 2014, 02:54 PM
Must have been an old joke.That's so unlike OZgolf....

mrbluu
21st February 2014, 03:01 PM

I thought it would depend on if where you ball was in relation to where their would be. If you were 50m further up the fairway, it would be kind of silly to go hit your ball then come back to help them find theirs. Likewise if you were 50m behind them, you obviously would hit first then move on.

Ashes
21st February 2014, 03:04 PM
I thought it would depend on if where you ball was in relation to where their would be. If you were 50m further up the fairway, it would be kind of silly to go hit your ball then come back to help them find theirs. Likewise if you were 50m behind them, you obviously would hit first then move on.

I assume that's a given.

The area I'm not sure about is if my ball is roughly same distance, but other side of fairway etc. I've always tended to assist if I'm headed in roughly that direction or I'm a fair way ahead.

wizard_of_oz
21st February 2014, 03:10 PM
We can talk until the cows come home about what to do but slow play will always be an issue sadly. You're only as fast as the slowest group in front of you. It's a bottle neck effect, it takes one slow ar$3hole to slow a whole entire day down. Some people just don't get it. You must always be ready to play your next shot as soon as the group in front is done.

Johnny Canuck
21st February 2014, 05:13 PM

You were fantastic a couple weeks ago on 13.

Two of us looking in the left rough. Ashes, standing beside his ball in the middle of the fairway (already had two shots), not playing, not helping look, just looking off in the distance, daydreaming.

sms316
21st February 2014, 05:30 PM
If you think snakes could be in the area then the owner is on his own.

oldracer
21st February 2014, 05:32 PM
"it takes one slow ar$3hole to slow a whole entire day down. Some people just don't get it. You must always be ready to play your next shot as soon as the group in front is done." see this is where I reckon I'm better off just playing social, I have days where I might be lucky to hit 3-4 fairways and for a group behind with "good" players on board would be fiddling their thumbs most of the day and to have a group up yur bum all day is no fun either. Can you request last group of the day or C grade time slots??

rubin
21st February 2014, 05:40 PM

This ^^^

Ashes
21st February 2014, 05:48 PM
You were fantastic a couple weeks ago on 13.

Two of us looking in the left rough. Ashes, standing beside his ball in the middle of the fairway (already had two shots), not playing, not helping look, just looking off in the distance, daydreaming.

This is the situ that had me wondering what is expected.

I thought your comment at the time along the lines "hit or look" was fair enough. I'd been hesitant to hit as I was probably slightly ahead of you both, but in hindsight I should have hit my ball quickly then walked down to assist. I don't think I should have searched before going to help look, as that could have potentially slowed play more, but would be interested to hear if you thought different.

Johnny Canuck
21st February 2014, 05:53 PM
This is the situ that had me wondering what is expected.

I thought your comment at the time along the lines "hit or look" was fair enough. I'd been hesitant to hit as I was probably slightly ahead of you both, but in hindsight I should have hit my ball quickly then walked down to assist. I don't think I should have searched before going to help look, as that could have potentially slowed play more, but would be interested to hear if you thought different.

Definitely hit and then come over in the future. .

I was just a little frustrated that you were doing nothing, hence my comment. I then remembered that you were coming straight out of PGN and also still a provisional member, so it all made sense.

wizard_of_oz
21st February 2014, 06:57 PM
"it takes one slow ar$3hole to slow a whole entire day down. Some people just don't get it. You must always be ready to play your next shot as soon as the group in front is done." see this is where I reckon I'm better off just playing social, I have days where I might be lucky to hit 3-4 fairways and for a group behind with "good" players on board would be fiddling their thumbs most of the day and to have a group up yur bum all day is no fun either. Can you request last group of the day or C grade time slots??

It's still a problem in social rounds. People think they're in the PGA and spend ages in their pre shot routine, reading greens or even waiting for a group to clear the Par 5 when they are 250m out and their tee shot went 180m (their response when I hint for them to go is always, "oh yea mate, I might hit one flush eh mate then I might hit them mate").

Johnny Canuck
21st February 2014, 06:58 PM
It's still a problem in social rounds. People think they're in the PGA and spend ages in their pre shot routine, reading greens or even waiting for a group to clear the Par 5 when they are 250m out and their tee shot went 180m (their response when I hint for them to go is always, "oh yea mate, I might hit one flush eh mate then I might hit them mate").

Public track problems.

Bruce Dickinson
21st February 2014, 07:08 PM
Public track problems.
not always

Ashes
21st February 2014, 07:12 PM

Ashes Snr was stuck behind a similar group at Wembley on Wednesday in the PGN Comp and walked off part way through the back 9 in disgust.

Bruce Dickinson
21st February 2014, 07:17 PM
Ashes Snr was stuck behind a similar group at Wembley on Wednesday in the PGN Comp and walked off part way through the back 9 in disgust.
sorry to hear that, I'll raise it with the PGN rep. As a member at Joondalup I can guarantee that members can be just as slow

Ashes
21st February 2014, 07:28 PM
sorry to hear that, I'll raise it with the PGN rep. As a member at Joondalup I can guarantee that members can be just as slow

Cheers. From what he tells me, they usually get around in reasonable time, and it was just the one group ahead dawdling rather than a slow field. No idea if it was a PGN group or not.

I said they should have called the pro shop - not sure if you have guys that can go out to chat to slow groups?

wizard_of_oz
21st February 2014, 07:45 PM
sorry to hear that, I'll raise it with the PGN rep. As a member at Joondalup I can guarantee that members can be just as slowCorrect, last few times we've played at Joondalup, it's been very close to 5 hour rounds.

Hatchman
21st February 2014, 08:25 PM

If your unlucky the snakes are in your group.

Bruce Dickinson
21st February 2014, 08:29 PM
Cheers. From what he tells me, they usually get around in reasonable time, and it was just the one group ahead dawdling rather than a slow field. No idea if it was a PGN group or not.

I said they should have called the pro shop - not sure if you have guys that can go out to chat to slow groups?
Calling the shop is the go, we will get someone out ASAP

Johnny Canuck
21st February 2014, 08:37 PM
Public track problems.

I meant in the social play aspect.

LeftyHoges
22nd February 2014, 10:20 AM
When did all this start? When I first started playing golf in comp in the late 90's I was specifically told that the right thing to do was to help your group search for balls. One or two valid exceptions to this but basically if you didn't you were an arsehole.

I've noticed a real shift over the last 5 or so years that you're pretty much on your own now with your ball. Find it yourself, if you're lucky you might have one guy help you look.

We could get around in 4 hours back in the day no problem while still searching for everyone's ball, yet 4.5 is the norm now with no-one looking!?

99% of the time I help look unless I'm off looking for my own. I usually keep looking for another 30 seconds or so after the player has said "move on, don't worry". Just the way I was brought up on a small country track I guess.

Lagerlover
22nd February 2014, 10:21 AM
When did all this start? When I first started playing golf in comp in the late 90's I was specifically told that the right thing to do was to help your group search for balls. One or two valid exceptions to this but basically if you didn't you were an arsehole.

I've noticed a real shift over the last 5 or so years that you're pretty much on your own now with your ball. Find it yourself, if you're lucky you might have one guy help you look.

We could get around in 4 hours back in the day no problem while still searching for everyone's ball, yet 4.5 is the norm now with no-one looking!?

99% of the time I help look unless I'm off looking for my own. I usually keep looking for another 30 seconds or so after the player has said "move on, don't worry". Just the way I was brought up on a small country track I guess.

Totally agree

Dotty
22nd February 2014, 12:59 PM

Ditto, and I blame Nick Faldo. Slow play increased as he got more airtime in the majors.

The biggest setback was the early 90's, when every beginner was given the Nick Faldo video for Xmas, or C-grader for Father's Day. They then thought it was okay to go through a convoluted pre-shot routine, under the false impression that they would get a perfect result. In reality, it still took them three shots to get on the green from 180m out, except they were taking 90s to play each shot instead of 20s.

And I couldn't imagine Faldo going over to look for anyone else's ball.

jimandr
22nd February 2014, 01:04 PM

I had the opposite experience last time I lost a ball. The trouble with tree lined courses is that the ball can rebound anywhere, and nobody saw mine. We didn't find it in a couple of minutes, so I gave up, but two of the other guys wanted to keep searching. One of them even said that the five minutes wasn't up yet.

Coldtopper
22nd February 2014, 02:33 PM
Yes when we learnt to play you had a look for a lost ball but then again you had a old timer do a induction on joining and had to play with a committee member before you could play in comps. They explained the correct etiquette and the unwritten rules etc. This practice seemed to disappear with the long socks rule!

Daves
23rd February 2014, 10:07 AM
We had a guy in our group yesterday that had obviously modeled his entire routine on Jim Furyk! In a reverse of the slow poke I played with on Wednesday, who kept forgetting to take his glove off before he putted, this one kept forgetting to put it on before he teed off (and at other times as well!!??). Gave the group a big rev and we then had to drag him through the rest of the nine, his routine never waivured though. We caught up by the turn, mainly because the field backed up to us though.

Re a lost ball situation, I work on the basis that everyone, bar the first one away look for any lost balls straight away. The first one away, should play their shot, and if still lost join the search. 2nd one away should then go and play their shot etc i.e. try to keep the group moving as much as possible whilst searching.

Rodent
23rd February 2014, 11:12 AM
Slow golf is selfish golf. Last month I was in the first group on a Saturday at my home track in a 3 ball with 2 brothers in their late 70's early 80's. Handicaps were 29 and 32. They were walking (slowly). It took us 3 hours and 5 minutes for the round! On the 12th hole the Captain drove up to us and asked if we'd skipped holes because we were a couple of holes ahead. The game just flowed. Zero time wasting, ready golf. There was no feeling of being rushed either. Awesome stuff. Teeing off an hour later means a 4.5hr round.

Hatchman
23rd February 2014, 11:58 PM

I'm with you Lefty, must be country upbringing as well.

shazza_rs
24th February 2014, 07:34 AM
I'm usually first to hit and usually don't have to wait for greens to clear so I hit my shot first and then help look.

There are guidelines in our locker room that suggest this to keep up pace of play.

hacker
24th February 2014, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the advice on how to speed up my game, like Hatchman said it does appear to be a collection of little things. I put a couple of things into practice over the weekend now just to work on the rest. However I know it is more important to make a habit of it rather than just doing it once and leaving it at that.

Daves
1st April 2014, 09:11 AM
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/again-slow-play-issue-during-final-round-valero/

Pencil
1st April 2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.golfchannel.com/media/again-slow-play-issue-during-final-round-valero/

Start throwing a few 1 & 2 shot penalty's and the odd DQ at the slow pokes and I bet they hurry up.

mrbluu
1st April 2014, 11:02 AM
Start throwing a few 1 & 2 shot penalty's and the odd DQ at the slow pokes and I bet they hurry up.

Exactly!!! Every group especially on the weekends should have a rules official or an official time keeper. This save time on waiting for rules officials and everyone is on the clock for the whole round.

Monsta
1st April 2014, 11:13 AM
Exactly!!! Every group especially on the weekends should have a rules official or an official time keeper. This save time on waiting for rules officials and everyone is on the clock for the whole round.

Everyone in the group should be responsible for the pace of play, not just an "official time keeper".
More groups need to learn that it doesnt take all 4 in the group to watch someone putt out. If you are behind, two players in the group proceed to the next tee to hit off while someone finishes off putting. It is surprising how much time can be gained...........

mrbluu
1st April 2014, 11:15 AM
Everyone in the group should be responsible for the pace of play, not just an "official time keeper".
More groups need to learn that it doesnt take all 4 in the group to watch someone putt out. If you are behind, two players in the group proceed to the next tee to hit off while someone finishes off putting. It is surprising how much time can be gained...........

Of cos they are responsible, but as there are no consequences you get 3 hours for 9 holes and guys like loupe taking 100 Million practices swings. He was much quicker when the official was timing him and the group.

Monsta
1st April 2014, 11:21 AM
Of cos they are responsible, but as there are no consequences you get 3 hours for 9 holes and guys like loupe taking 100 Million practices swings. He was much quicker when the official was timing him and the group.

I completely agree that there should be a penalty for slow play, but too many clubs are not willing because it will "upset the members".
I know our club still regards 4.5 hours as reasonable time for a round, which is complete BS. It would only take a few penalty shots or a DQ to make eveyone realise that it is a problem and it should be part of the rules IMHO

mrbluu
1st April 2014, 11:25 AM
I completely agree that there should be a penalty for slow play, but too many clubs are not willing because it will "upset the members".
I know our club still regards 4.5 hours as reasonable time for a round, which is complete BS. It would only take a few penalty shots or a DQ to make eveyone realise that it is a problem and it should be part of the rules IMHO

hahahah your talking club and I'm talking pga tour ;-)

Daves
1st April 2014, 11:39 AM
You have to nip the problem off on the tour, if you are ever going to fix the problem at club level. I see more a more Hackers that are obviously modelling their routines and their pace of play on the slowcoaches. It is becoming ridiculous!!

Carl_Spackler
1st April 2014, 01:11 PM
It's a common courtesy to call the group behind you thru when looking for balls.
That way you can have your 5 mins to find your ball without holding anyone up.
If the group in front is not calling me thru I hit anyway :)

Carl_Spackler
1st April 2014, 01:28 PM
Another cause of slow play is the hacker golfer who uses a rangefinder.
Will spend 15-20 seconds finding the distance only to chop it 15m down the fairway, then repeat.
Should be single figure golfers only. Gps units for hackers.

Jackson
1st April 2014, 02:00 PM
It's a common courtesy to call the group behind you thru when looking for balls.
That way you can have your 5 mins to find your ball without holding anyone up.
If the group in front is not calling me thru I hit anyway :)

So you just hit up on people for not calling you through?
I would have thought it was common courtesy not to endanger the group in front.

Jackson
1st April 2014, 02:03 PM
Another cause of slow play is the hacker golfer who uses a rangefinder.
Will spend 15-20 seconds finding the distance only to chop it 15m down the fairway, then repeat.
Should be single figure golfers only. Gps units for hackers.

Really? Its just as quick to check a rangefinder as it is a gps, maybe 5 seconds difference. Not sure thats really going to make too much of a difference.

Carl_Spackler
1st April 2014, 02:07 PM
So you just hit up on people for not calling you through?
I would have thought it was common courtesy not to endanger the group in front.

Yep. Sure do.

dc68
1st April 2014, 02:12 PM
Gee Carl how many times have you been KTFO on a course?

LeftyHoges
1st April 2014, 05:33 PM
Gee Carl how many times have you been KTFO on a course?

Clearly not enough.

mrbluu
1st April 2014, 05:36 PM
Should be single figure golfers only. Gps units for hackers. So someone off 9.5 go rangefinder or GPS or should he or she decide dending on the course rating???

Carl_Spackler
1st April 2014, 05:56 PM
So someone off 9.5 goI rangefinder or GPS or should he or she decide dending on the course rating???
No need to be a smartarse.
My point is that very few golfers ( if any ) who have a handicap of above 10 have good distance control with their shots.
If they can get the distance to the middle of the green ( a 2 second task ) from their GPS units that is good enough.
The better players, can control their distance much better and it matters more to them if the flag is at the back or front of the greens and therefore exact distance is preferred.
My experience playing with a high handicapper who uses a rangefinder are not good.
It is exceptionally frustrating watching them line up from 150m then duff it 10m then repeat it. Ffs. U only hit it 10m, step it out and subtract!

Jackson
1st April 2014, 06:09 PM
No need to be a smartarse.
My point is that very few golfers ( if any ) who have a handicap of above 10 have good distance control with their shots.
If they can get the distance to the middle of the green ( a 2 second task ) from their GPS units that is good enough.
The better players, can control their distance much better and it matters more to them if the flag is at the back or front of the greens and therefore exact distance is preferred.
My experience playing with a high handicapper who uses a rangefinder are not good.
It is exceptionally frustrating watching them line up from 150m then duff it 10m then repeat it. Ffs. U only hit it 10m, step it out and subtract!

I don't think there's much difference at all, considering with most GPS' you have to wait a bit for them to 'catch up' once your at the ball then check them and put them away.

With a rangefinder I have it in my hand ready to go by the time I'm at my ball, look through it and get the reading then put it away. Maybe 5 seconds difference? So about 1-3 minutes difference per round in the pace of play. Not gonna change too many peoples day.

mrbluu
1st April 2014, 06:14 PM
No need to be a smartarse.My point is that very few golfers ( if any ) who have a handicap of above 10 have good distance control with their shots. If they can get the distance to the middle of the green ( a 2 second task ) from their GPS units that is good enough.The better players, can control their distance much better and it matters more to them if the flag is at the back or front of the greens and therefore exact distance is preferred. My experience playing with a high handicapper who uses a rangefinder are not good.It is exceptionally frustrating watching them line up from 150m then duff it 10m then repeat it. Ffs. U only hit it 10m, step it out and subtract! U are confusing an high A grader or low B grader to a absolute hacker. Either using one or the other is not going to slow down the game.

Ferrins
1st April 2014, 08:31 PM
Golf basically takes too long and any future growth is under threat. Time poor professional people can't tolerate the slow old farts and the deliberate playing unemployed or especially the practice swings at the kiosk types.

G.K
1st April 2014, 08:46 PM
I don't think there's much difference at all, considering with most GPS' you have to wait a bit for them to 'catch up' once your at the ball then check them and put them away.

With a rangefinder I have it in my hand ready to go by the time I'm at my ball, look through it and get the reading then put it away. Maybe 5 seconds difference? So about 1-3 minutes difference per round in the pace of play. Not gonna change too many peoples day.

+1

I'd argue that using a range finder has sped up my pace of play and I'm far from being a single figure player. It's certainly helped me in knowing how far I realistically hit each iron on average, hence giving me a better chance of hitting the intended target. Sure, I don't always hit the mark but hit it a lot more often than I used too.

Unfortunately, my rangefinder seems to be missing since Summer Cup:evil:

Bruce
1st April 2014, 10:06 PM
Slow people find a way to be slow no matter what they have in their hands.

Daves
1st April 2014, 10:22 PM
Golf basically takes too long and any future growth is under threat. Time poor professional people can't tolerate the slow old farts and the deliberate playing unemployed or especially the practice swings at the kiosk types.

You need to let it go!:roll::D By the way, Kiosk Boy shot a 1 under 71 the next day!:wink:

WBennett
6th May 2014, 03:13 PM
Anyone heard of penalties for slow play? I'm in the last group with Monsta, Mudguts and Hamburgler tomorrow and want to ensure they keep up with the group in front.

Monsta
6th May 2014, 04:06 PM
Anyone heard of penalties for slow play? I'm in the last group with Monsta, Mudguts and Hamburgler tomorrow and want to ensure they keep up with the group in front.

You cant even keep up when you follow us of a weekend Spud, calling a penalty on yourself?????????

WBennett
6th May 2014, 05:05 PM
I was having a crack at our visitors Monsta!

Dotty
6th May 2014, 06:09 PM
I was having a crack at our visitors Monsta!
Wrong visitors.

Tomorrow's pair won't be more than five metres off the centreline. They also won't be looking for balls under trees or on the other side of the hazards.

davepuppies
6th May 2014, 06:12 PM
Whatever happened to good old Carl sparkler? :)

Dotty
6th May 2014, 06:29 PM
Being outside Sydney, it will be fast tomorrow, as there won't be anyone ahead reviewing the paths, fountains, cleanliness of hazards and pro-shop stock.

Courty
6th May 2014, 07:09 PM
Anyone heard of penalties for slow play?

Funnily enough, yes.

Saturday's monthly medal was the first round under the new Pace of Play guidelines at Cairns GC. 23 players received 2 stroke penalties, some of those for failing to make the 1st tee on or before their tee time, and the rest for failing to keep up out on the course. A couple of people got pinged twice. And to make it even more interesting, they have been named & shamed in the clubs results page. :lol:

Based on the speed of the round, there should have been a lot more penalties than that, too. :shock:

Buzz
6th May 2014, 09:36 PM
Bet that caused some controversy/whining!

markTHEblake
6th May 2014, 09:41 PM
Courty, are the pace of play rulings sensible or dictatorial? Its unrealistic to ping a group just because they are half a hole behind, as that might have only just happened - ie looked for a ball

23 seems a lot ! :-)

LarryLong
6th May 2014, 09:44 PM
If my club brought in penalties for turning up late I would be off 30 within 6 months!

WBennett
6th May 2014, 09:47 PM
Larry

You werent born til you were six months old

Outcast
6th May 2014, 10:11 PM
Courty, are the pace of play rulings sensible or dictatorial? Its unrealistic to ping a group just because they are half a hole behind, as that might have only just happened - ie looked for a ball

FWIW, I think the pace of play rulings are quite sensible; people are required to be on 1st the tee on time or they can be given a two shot penalty. WRT groups falling behind they are given warnings by the marshall to catchup & after a number of warnings they are issued with a penalty. At the halfway mark, one is required to be on the 10th tee by the time the group in front reaches the 100m out distance marker.

The pace of play policy was put out a few weeks before it was enacted & the first two weeks were 'grace' periods with people being advised when they needed to get a wriggle on & people advised when they would have been awarded a two shot penalty (without the penalty being awarded). This week saw the penalties actually applied for the first time.

According to our weekly newsletter, one morning group finished 22 minutes behind the group in front of them; suspect they received multiple warnings & possibly multiple penalties.

My group hit of at 10am, took us 5hrs 30... & it just kept snowballing.. we waited for long periods on just about every shot and at times we had two groups waiting on the tee...!! Afternoon groups apparently took around 6hrs with groups from 12:30 not finishing. To describe the pace as 'glacial' would have been and understatement.

Dcanto
6th May 2014, 10:18 PM
I tee'd off at 12:56 and the first 5 holes were excruciatingly slow. I looked over the names of the players penalised and some of the names listed are notorious for being slow players. Of the 23 players penalised, 13 of them were pinged for being late to the tee.

Courty
7th May 2014, 05:29 AM

They are sensible. Too many people have been ignorant/ arrogant to their own 'slowness' for too long with no consequences. I spoke with the manager last night and he told me there are some (no doubt only a tiny minority) who have rejected the Pace of Play guidelines because they "are happy to play 5.5hr rounds". Unfortunately, he wouldn't give me any names.

Courty
7th May 2014, 05:34 AM
According to our weekly newsletter, one morning group finished 22 minutes behind the group in front of them; suspect they received multiple warnings & possibly multiple penalties.

I played behind that group. They couldn't have played the front 9 any quicker due to the logjam ahead of them, so the 22 minutes was all lost on the back 9. :shock: I don't know how many warnings they got, but they certainly all got penalised when they finished, and one of them was penalised for being late to the tee.

AndyP
7th May 2014, 07:48 AM
It all sounds a bit serious for a laid back place like Cairns. Surely they wouldn't do it in Darwin too.

Captain Nemo
7th May 2014, 07:56 AM
It all sounds a bit serious for a laid back place like Cairns. Surely they wouldn't do it in Darwin too.
Chapzzz is a member at Darwin, he could pipe up!

BUSHY
7th May 2014, 03:23 PM
They are sensible. Too many people have been ignorant/ arrogant to their own 'slowness' for too long with no consequences. I spoke with the manager last night and he told me there are some (no doubt only a tiny minority) who have rejected the Pace of Play guidelines because they "are happy to play 5.5hr rounds". Unfortunately, he wouldn't give me any names.

Our groups were wondering about that too, the fact that some members don't give a sh*t if they take 5+ hours. Might have to alter the policy so that serial offenders cop a suspension.

Hatchman
7th May 2014, 04:09 PM
Our groups were wondering about that too, the fact that some members don't give a sh*t if they take 5+ hours. Might have to alter the policy so that serial offenders cop a suspension.

Or banished to the last few groups of the day. Let them struggle with fading light to see if they still enjoy being slow and can't complete a round. These type of people are just plain selfish and don't deserve any latitude. If you lose them as members it's no loss, after all they are a minority.

BUSHY
7th May 2014, 04:18 PM
Actually back of the field is a better punishment than suspension I think.

Courty
10th May 2014, 05:45 PM
The penalty-fest last week appears to have worked. We were practically jogging to keep up this morning, and finished in 4:00 flat!

BUSHY
10th May 2014, 06:00 PM
The penalty-fest last week appears to have worked. We were practically jogging to keep up this morning, and finished in 4:00 flat!

Looks like it worked a treat. Might've been the little push some people needed.

Courty
10th May 2014, 06:03 PM
Looks like it worked a treat. Might've been the little push some people needed.

Absolutely. Let's see how long it lasts.

LarryLong
10th May 2014, 06:58 PM
Amazing that it could work so quickly. Is that really all it takes?

Courty
10th May 2014, 07:00 PM

Time will tell.

WBennett
10th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Monstas group teed off at 1108.
I was at 1140.
He was walking off 18 before we got past the 14th tee. And we took 4:20. I reckon his group did 3:20 today as a three!

JADO75
10th May 2014, 10:42 PM
Played on Wednesday at penrith, group in front were 4 holes behind & nothing was done. As we went near them on one of the holes I asked why they were so far behind & one of them replied "I guess we're slow eh" took all my strength not to go friggin mental. Selfish mofos

BUSHY
10th May 2014, 11:19 PM

I think in the end 40 or 50 strokes worth of penalties might've come from last Saturday, the first day it came into effect. I think there were 5 or 6 people that were given 2 or 3 lots. They're for late to the first, late to the 10th, late finish, too far behind after being warned. People want to blame a single tee but it didn't matter today so I think their argument on that line a mooted point.

So yeah, first impressions seem to suggest that penalties might work.

sms316
10th May 2014, 11:23 PM
Monstas group teed off at 1108.I was at 1140.He was walking off 18 before we got past the 14th tee. And we took 4:20. I reckon his group did 3:20 today as a three! Quick game when you pick up before the green.

Dcanto
11th May 2014, 07:23 AM
Time will tell. With yesterday's event being stableford instead of stroke, that may have helped speed things up perhaps?

Dotty
11th May 2014, 07:31 AM
Name and shame of the individuals works well.

Too often, the club policy is that the lowest marker responsible for the pace of play. The high handicapper keeps their comfortable routine, and the various justifications, when asked by an individual (missing car keys, it's not a race, 4h10m is the club's guideline, we didn't hold up the group behind, etc.).

I've been in a group penalised when using the electronic devices mentioned in the OP. Stroke round, half-field due to being very wet under foot (lift/clean/place and long rough) and being 2nd group in afternoon, where 1st group of 3 wanted get betting on the ponies early. We were slow, due to above and two players had recent lessons taking extra time to prepare for every shot (ironically one drives a Ferrari).

The problem was detected on the 17th hole, by the general manager being demonstrated the system in his office, and not the ranger on the course. The penalty was given to our group, via the ranger telling the committeeman in our group, when he was up at the bar. After the message was then passed onto us, it trickled around the club. (Those who have ever played with me saw the irony of a slow play penalty being applied to my near-arrogant routine to hit the ball ASAP routine.)

I made it known that I supported the penalty, but questioned why the ranger did not detect this whilst on the course nor had the front to approach the whole group at the table to inform us of the penalty. He was gone within 48 hours.

BUSHY
11th May 2014, 08:21 AM
With yesterday's event being stableford instead of stroke, that may have helped speed things up perhaps?

Cairns Open is stroke. Only the guys playing Saturday only were stableford.

Hatchman
11th May 2014, 10:35 AM

That's a quick adjustment from one week to another and shows it can happen if the club doesn't tolerate it.

Some that know they are slow possibly made an effort to keep pace for a change.
Groups or individuals obviously did their bit to push the snails in their groups along.

It should continue this way as long as the message and the penalties is hammered for the next few weeks/months until it becomes the standard. Setting a new standard is a cultural/behavioural thing and does take time to change until it becomes normal.

Yossarian
11th May 2014, 11:15 AM
Played on Wednesday at penrith, group in front were 4 holes behind & nothing was done. As we went near them on one of the holes I asked why they were so far behind & one of them replied "I guess we're slow eh" took all my strength not to go friggin mental. Selfish mofos

Sounds Canadian. Can JC account for his whereabouts, the MO fits.

Johnny Canuck
11th May 2014, 11:18 AM

I was in Sydney for work ...

JADO75
11th May 2014, 12:13 PM

Pretty sure the guy was wearing matching denim golf gear & put maple syrup on his sausage roll at halfway, so maybe?

Johnny Canuck
11th May 2014, 12:16 PM
Pretty sure the guy was wearing matching denim golf gear & put maple syrup on his sausage roll at halfway, so maybe?

Sounds like Hefty Hoges. Were the pants 3/4?

JADO75
11th May 2014, 12:21 PM
Yes & he wanted the other 3 blokes to help "look for his balls" in the trees

Johnny Canuck
11th May 2014, 12:38 PM
Yes & he wanted the other 3 blokes to help "look for his balls" in the trees

That's Hefty and his Bryan Adam's fan club neighbours.

TheNuclearOne
11th May 2014, 04:10 PM

Mububban
20th May 2014, 10:02 AM
Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale Arizona are trialling “golf bikes” to speed up pace of play. They’ve got two 7-slot panniers on the back, so you can carry 14 clubs. Giddyup!

2:04 into this video for a very brief look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helANi8cDBw#t=124

And no, they don't have motors before the usual suspects ask :)

mrbluu
20th May 2014, 10:13 AM
Monstas group teed off at 1108.
I was at 1140.
He was walking off 18 before we got past the 14th tee. And we took 4:20. I reckon his group did 3:20 today as a three!

Was Monsta's group the first off??