PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 22 Aug 2011

hocko
24th August 2011, 09:29 PM
Played behind Jarrod Moseley today at Kwinana.
No idea what he scored but he hits a 12.5* driver about 10 feet in the air, it probably helped today as it was a little windy.
I played shit but got to drop a name in an Ozgolf post!

Courty
24th August 2011, 09:55 PM
I played at Cairns today with a visiting kpac and some of the other OZgolf cronies.

After having a lesson yesterday afternoon, today was always going to be a disaster. The first (back) nine was terrible, with a small sprinkling of respectable shots. The second (front) nine was much better, and if it wasn't for a few missed 4-6 foot putts, I would have played to my handicap for the 9.

Never mind, it's a work in progress.

Stats here (http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/236-6776260-6776509).

Daves
25th August 2011, 10:57 AM
I suck! Standing on the 18th tee yesterday, all I needed was par on the last for an 80/67. Ten minutes later I complete a 3 jab for a snowman and a net 70!. I went from a score that would have won to a missing out on a ball on a c/b!

Reddie Bay stroke 40 - 43 = 83 Nett 70

7/18 GIR 39%
8/14 FIR 57%
35 putts

11 pars
4 bogies
2 doubles
1 Triple

Ned
25th August 2011, 11:30 AM
You suck Daves!

BrisVegas
25th August 2011, 12:44 PM
You suck Daves!

+1.

Oh and we've all been there.

Jarro
26th August 2011, 01:21 PM
39 points at Nudgee North today (22-17)

Hit the driver pretty well again, but the short game deserted me over the closing four holes .... culminating in a double-bogey 6 to finish with :(

Ned
26th August 2011, 01:38 PM
39 points at Nudgee North today (22-17)

Hit the driver pretty well again, but the short game deserted me over the closing four holes .... culminating in a double-bogey 6 to finish with :(

Well played jarro, doing a Hux in reverse!!!

Johnny Canuck
26th August 2011, 01:43 PM
2 hole outs from off the green.

Hit all fairways from the 7th onwards with the exception of one that I hit through the dogleg and still made par.

Dropped a 40 footer on the 2nd.

Finished with a massive total of 23 points.

Great confidence builder for champs.

MegaWatty
26th August 2011, 02:08 PM
7 down through 9. Finished 7 down. It was ugly.

I think I need to start playing the front nine first. I am destroying myself one the first nine and then brininging it home on the second week after week.

Yossarian
26th August 2011, 02:51 PM
Choppers.

Eag's
26th August 2011, 04:21 PM
Nudgee today single stab 17/17 34 two wipes.
My driving was a disgrace today, but I hit some decent irons and got up and down a few times to salvage something from the wreck.

TheTrueReview
26th August 2011, 04:35 PM
Nudgee today - Single Stableford. 24/15 = 39 points. Wiped the 18th. Front 9 was all good news despite some unnecessary 3 putts. Back 9 was scrambling & trying to stop leaking oil on the way in.

Jarro
26th August 2011, 04:40 PM
Nudgee today - Single Stableford. 24/15 = 39 points. Wiped the 18th. Front 9 was all good news despite some unnecessary 3 putts. Back 9 was scrambling & trying to stop leaking oil on the way in.

Nice front nine mate 8)

Iain
26th August 2011, 04:44 PM
Nudgee north. Single stab. 20/16-36pts.

Hit driver ok, only had 1 blocked shot from it. Hit the irons great, very solid. Could've been a lot better if I'd just managed to make a few putts.

43% FIR
56% GIR
35 putts (1x 3 putt)
1 penalty
0/2 sand saves

TheTrueReview
26th August 2011, 05:20 PM
Nice front nine mate 8)

Thanks. Just saw you won "3 units" in the rundown. What's that equivalent to? A ball?

Jarro
26th August 2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks. Just saw you won "3 units" in the rundown. What's that equivalent to? A ball?

Yeah probably... $3 in my trophy account ;)
42 points got Div1.... if only :(

AndyP
26th August 2011, 05:56 PM
Do the credits there expire? I think I have a few there, but never remember.

just
26th August 2011, 06:07 PM
Not as far as I know.

Talart
26th August 2011, 08:23 PM
26th August Governors Cup - Legacy at Glenelg Golf Club. 31 points and a great weather to be playing a course for the first time was in with a chance to get 36 points. My putting flagged over the last holes and short game let me down. Was a very enjoyable experience and fun at all times though. One of our 4 came in second with 37 points.

Jarro
26th August 2011, 08:45 PM
Do the credits there expire? I think I have a few there, but never remember.

I'm pretty sure they do expire.

Poidda asked me to check on some credits he had there a while ago, and they'd expired.

TheTrueReview
26th August 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure they do expire.

But not for members?

Courty
27th August 2011, 05:04 PM
I played in the NQ Matchplay final at Paradise Palms today. Unfortunately the Club Champs were on, so we had to play right from the tips. :neutral: After having a lesson and stinking it up all week, I was resigned to the fact that I would be lucky not to raise the bat today. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find a little form. I missed a lot of fairways and greens, many by not much, but my pitching & chipping were sublime (if I do say so myself 8)). I ended up with 34 pts, including a wipe and 5 x 1 pts. The rating is thought to be around 3 over par from the tips, so that is a mighty effort, IMO. It was also enough to win the punt by 1 shot. 8)

Stats here (http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/238-6826092-6826343).

Ned
27th August 2011, 07:40 PM
I played in the NQ Matchplay final at Paradise Palms today. Unfortunately the Club Champs were on, so we had to play right from the tips. :neutral: After having a lesson and stinking it up all week, I was resigned to the fact that I would be lucky not to raise the bat today. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find a little form. I missed a lot of fairways and greens, many by not much, but my pitching & shipping were sublime (if I do say so myself 8)). I ended up with 34 pts, including a wipe and 5 x 1 pts. The rating is thought to be around 3 over par from the tips, so that is a mighty effort, IMO. It was also enough to win the punt by 1 shot. 8)

Stats here (http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/238-6826092-6826343).

What were you shipping ?

Steve57
27th August 2011, 07:43 PM
Riverlakes today, first group out and beat most of the rain.
70 gross (par 70), 64 nett, 9/13 fairways (Nunchuck finally working now I have the swingweight right!), only 3 GIR but most misses were on the apron, 19 putts, 4 birdies, 4 bogies, 10 pars, 1 chip in and 1 holed putt from off the green.
Best round I have had there.
Hcp from 5.8 to 4.8.
2 lessons in last 2 weeks have had the desired outcome.

AndyP
27th August 2011, 07:47 PM
Good round, Steve. Congratulations on a PB.

BrisVegas
27th August 2011, 07:51 PM
70 gross (par 70), 64 nett, 9/13 fairways (Nunchuck finally working now I have the swingweight right!), only 3 GIR but most misses were on the apron, 19 putts, 4 birdies, 4 bogies, 10 pars, 1 chip in and 1 holed putt from off the green.
Hcp from 5.8 to 4.8.

19 putts!!!! WTF? Is that a Guiness World Record???? :shock:

peter_rs
27th August 2011, 07:52 PM
19 putts in 16 holes... Work on the putter steve

How was riverlakes

Ronny
27th August 2011, 07:52 PM
2nd round club champs

45/45 = 90 - 70 nett
34 putts

Got wet, hit some good shots, hit some SH*t shots. More crap than good but considering the conditions, I'll take it!

Too far back now to worry the leaders so trying to stay in top 8!!

Lagerlover
27th August 2011, 07:59 PM
Hcp from 5.8 to 4.8.

19 putts... Brilliant

Steve57
27th August 2011, 08:01 PM
19 putts in 16 holes... Work on the putter steve

How was riverlakes
It's in pretty good nick at the moment Pete.
The rain this past week has greened things up again.
The greens are running as well as I have seen them.

peter_rs
27th August 2011, 08:06 PM
How is the 3,4 & 5 holes?

Is there still weed in the greens

matty
27th August 2011, 08:06 PM
Had my best round in well over a year. 10 pars, 2 birds. 5 bogies, 1 double for 5 over off the stick at Lynwood. 20/20 for 40 points.
I'll never begrudge a 40 point day but other than missing a par 3 green by a meter and hitting into a fairway bunker off the tee on a par 5 I hit every fairway and par 3 green. I just never seemed to capitalise on the good work.
That's golf.

BrisVegas
27th August 2011, 08:10 PM
just checked (while the kiwis were doing their panto routine at the rugby)...

"The record for fewest putts needed in one 18-hole round of a PGA Tour event is shared by several golfers:

18 putts

Sam Trahan, final round, 1979 IV Philadelphia Golf Classic
Mike McGee, first round, 1987 Federal Express St. Jude Classic
Kenny Knox, first round, 1989 MCI Heritage Classic
Andy North, second round, 1990 Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic
Jim McGovern, second round, 1992 Federal Express St. Jude Classic
Corey Pavin, second round, 2000 Bell Canadian Open
Blake Adams, second round, 2010 Verizon Heritage

Source: PGA Tour"

AndyP
27th August 2011, 08:15 PM
He did say he was on the apron a lot, so there were more effective putts. ;)

idgolfguy
27th August 2011, 08:17 PM
Sort of limped home with 40 pts today. Had 3 doubles, birdied the same hole in two consecutive weeks. Helped this time when I put the next tee shot in the water.

The greens were cored and sanded about 3 weeks ago. Last week was good as the sand was flat and all putts dropped. Had 27 putts for my 44 pts.

This week, the sand and grass made it very bumpy and hard to read. Had 3 x 3 putts and missed 6 putts that were stopped about half a revolution from falling in.

It's the Winter Cup, and today was cored greens. Tomorrow will be the other 18 and good non-cored greens. Hopefully, I adapt well. Still, being 4 ahead of my handicap for tomorrow's outing should take some pressure off.

Steve57
27th August 2011, 08:58 PM
How is the 3,4 & 5 holes?

Is there still weed in the greens
Still a little in the 4th but the other 2 have been cleaned up pretty well.
We still have the problem of 3 or 4 different grasses in a number of the greens but they still roll well.

Steve57
27th August 2011, 09:00 PM
I putted from the apron 8 times not including the one I binned.

BrisVegas
27th August 2011, 09:13 PM

I just got off the phone to the PGA. They don't keep stats on "effective" putts. :wink:

rubin
27th August 2011, 09:16 PM
Not a spectacular round. Still working on getting the touch into the short game as that's where I dropped slot of shots today. Driver and 3 wood are working like a song. It's amazing to finally have a go to club/s :D

3 birds for the day, 2 on the big par 5's, and the other on the long par 4. Big confidence boosters. Missed an eagle chip in by literally inches on the 500m 7th. Struggled hitting the green on par 3s. I'd either land on it, and spin off, or cop a bad bounce and run off etc.

Looking for the positives, finished off with a 94, hit 8 from 14 fairways total, 25% more greens in reg (which wasnt a difficult stat to improve from almost 0 really ;) ) 30 putts.

Courty
27th August 2011, 10:09 PM
What were you shipping ?

Another couple of packages from USPS. ;)

goonie
28th August 2011, 12:11 AM
Played the 2nd round of the Club Champs with PeteyD in what will most likely be his last game before his hip surgery, I managed to survive his high speed driving in the cart and broke my hcp :D

Thanks for the game Pete.

81/70
9 pars
1 birdie

3 over for the front 9, dropped 4 shots on the first 2 holes then shot 1 under to finish the front 9.
Started raining on the back 9 and the clubs started slipping and I started dropping shots, I finally checked/ realised I had a new glove and then had a few more pars coming in.

It's the 3rd game back from injury and I am still very happy with the way I am playing considering I still don't have the strength to do a calf raise on my injured leg.

Club Champs are shot thou after having a 94/83 last week with a dodgy back.

Daves
28th August 2011, 08:51 AM
Way to go Steve57! Super round that.

Surprised no one has asked you about your putter!?

Ferrins
28th August 2011, 09:00 AM
Hey Steve, what putter did you use?

Captain Nemo
28th August 2011, 09:49 AM
Played well yesterday, had 7 over (40pt's) ran 2nd in A grade!
That was with 1 wipe, a 3 putt and double up the last
30 putts, 7/12 f/ways.
Used my R11 with PX 6 for the first time, needs weight and loft tweaking.
Very impressed with this driver, its as long if not longer than the 910 i was using.

AndyP
28th August 2011, 01:43 PM
28/08/2011, Wolston Park GC, Par.

10/11 effective tee-shots. (missed with my first shot)
11/18 effective approaches.
3/5 up and down successes.
35 putts. (Three Stab Streak Count - got to 34, now 6)
------------------------
12 pars.
5 bogeys.
1 others.

Scoring PPPBDPPPP BPBPPPPBB

Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20110828-p68.html): 38-36-74 par +1/+2/+3 (Par 35-32-67 ACR 65)

H/cap Change: +0.1 to 10.0.

That's easily the best I've hit it for a while, and one of the better ball striking rounds I've had at Wally Park. Unfortunately, I had too many putts to score as well as I felt I should have.

I've been putting really well of late, but the greens today were just too tough. Noone in our group could get the ball to the hole because of how wet they were, then when they were drying later on, we had to deal with the different grasses or shagginess of them. I could never get any momentum going with the putter.

I'm very happy with my score and it's good to finally beat the handicap again, so I was peeved after the round, when we were told that there weren't enough for the comp. Fortunately, they allowed us to submit our cards for handicapping.

Next round: Nothing organised, but I'd like to try for a midweek round.

Steve57
28th August 2011, 07:11 PM
Hey Steve, what putter did you use?
Scotty Cameron California Coronado with a midsize Baby T grip.

Steve57
28th August 2011, 07:12 PM
Way to go Steve57! Super round that.

Surprised no one has asked you about your putter!?

Thanks Dave.

Captain Nemo
28th August 2011, 07:56 PM
Scotty Cameron California Coronado with a midsize Baby T grip.
Sweet putter!
Wishing I never sold mine now actually trying to hunt one down.
They are not making them next year.

Minor_Threat
28th August 2011, 08:17 PM
Foursomes Championships today. Won the thing by 3 strokes with scores or 75, 74.

Awesome day, managed to play the 36 without losing a ball.

Captain Nemo
28th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Well done MT you would be a handy partner!

jimandr
28th August 2011, 08:48 PM
I played better than my 28 point score suggests at Camden Lakeside today.

But I am out of love with golf right now. The game seems to penalising me for every bad shot I hit, and not giving me any reward for the good shots. I missed one fairway today, but that one was hard up against the lip of a fairway bunker, and I hit five greens in a row in regulation, but threejacked three of them, all lip-outs.

Still, my next game will be somewhere in the San Francisco region of the USA. Life could be a lot worse.

Minor_Threat
29th August 2011, 10:18 AM
Well done MT you would be a handy partner!
Cheers mate, surprisingly I played quite well and carried my weight. 1st game back in 6 weeks after I broke my finger.

Talart
29th August 2011, 01:28 PM
Finished the week with another 31 point (stableford) round at Robe for a 4th place finish Again the last 5 holes my game dropped way on the green. Second time in the week the same issue has affected the end result. Time to practise putting and thinking for the coming Championship rounds.

LeftyHoges
29th August 2011, 05:34 PM
Played on Saturday, 72 off the bat for 38 points.

10/14 Fairways
12/18 GIR
29 Putts
5/8 Up 'n' Downs
1 Eagle
1 Birdie
13 Pars
3 Bogeys

Didn't feel like I hit it that well, but scrambled well early, somehow made it through 9 even par and picked up my game after that.

Down to 2.0 exactly.

Ronny
29th August 2011, 05:39 PM
Played today in the Pine Rivers Pro Am. Had a guy from reddy with me and Chad Inkster and Sam Eaves.

Had 36 points so played to handicap. Left alot out there and even managed to play a couple of shots with the wrong ball which turned a possible par into a wash! Oh well, was a great day and great to watch the young guys smash it!

Highlight was a chip in off the green, it needed to it or I would have been playing out the green side bunker at the front!!

Nuffie
29th August 2011, 09:34 PM
Sort of limped home with 40 pts today. Had 3 doubles, birdied the same hole in two consecutive weeks. Helped this time when I put the next tee shot in the water.

The greens were cored and sanded about 3 weeks ago. Last week was good as the sand was flat and all putts dropped. Had 27 putts for my 44 pts.

This week, the sand and grass made it very bumpy and hard to read. Had 3 x 3 putts and missed 6 putts that were stopped about half a revolution from falling in.

It's the Winter Cup, and today was cored greens. Tomorrow will be the other 18 and good
non-cored greens. Hopefully, I adapt well. Still, being 4 ahead of my handicap for tomorrow's outing should take some
pressure off.

Well done on the 40 pts and backing that up with another 38 pts yesterday, to finish 3rd overall in The Vines Winter Cup.

It appears that the boom putting has made a big difference to your short game. Putting is
an area I need to work on. Not so much the 25 - 30 footers but the 6 - 8 footers.

Getting a good roll on that ball I'm starting to realise may be the key to making it stay online for longer and to do this the pacing might also need to be more aggressive - to finish 2 or 3 ft past rather than just stop it rolling at the hole.

Maybe creeping the ball just past the hole can be classified as a bit of a risk in two-putting, but maybe it can be considered a 'calculated risk' with more to gain and less to
lose. Because by playing just to the hole, that may not even be considered a 'calculated risk' but an actual certainty of two-putting, if that first putt stops abruptly 1 cm short of the hole. And always happens a few times a round if you putt this way. It's happened for years.

So in theory, it seems an easy choice if whether to give any first putt, a chance of going in, provided you maintain the confidence needed to make the one coming back.

hocko
29th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Well done on the 40 pts and backing that up with another 38 pts yesterday, to finish 3rd overall in The Vines Winter Cup.

It appears that the boom putting has made a big difference to your short game. Putting is an area I need to work on. Not so much the 25 - 30 footers but the 6 - 8 footers. Getting a good roll on that ball I'm starting to realise may be the key to making it stay online for longer and to do this the pacing might need to be more aggressive - to finish 2 - 3 ft past
rather than just stop it rolling at the hole. Maybe creeping the ball just past the hole can be classified as a bit risky of two-putting, but maybe it's a 'calculated risk'. But by playing just to the hole, it's may not even be a 'calculated risk' but an actual certainty of two-putting if that first putt stops abbruptly 1 cm short of the hole.
No Nuff, it's called a lag!

rubin
29th August 2011, 10:09 PM
Need to get u back out on a course nuff.

Yossarian
29th August 2011, 10:13 PM
How did you go this saturday rubes?

Nuffie
29th August 2011, 10:19 PM
If hocko is correct, lagging is a perfect way to avoid three putting but it's not the best way to end up with less than 30 putts a game.

Rubin u are right, I need to get back out again and it will be soon. Got a few holes in with idgolfguy last week round the vines. He was putting the best I'd ever seen him putt last week. Just picks his line and hits it with a smooth stroke and a great roll. And when I get back out soon, my intention will be also to start making more putts, by using less lagging, less analyzing. Now just a quick look, then confident stroke to the back of the hole or 3 ft past at most.

rubin
29th August 2011, 10:25 PM
How did you go this saturday rubes?

Not a spectacular round. Still working on getting the touch into the short game as that's where I dropped slot of shots today. Driver and 3 wood are working like a song. It's amazing to finally have a go to club/s :D

3 birds for the day, 2 on the big par 5's, and the other on the long par 4. Big confidence boosters. Missed an eagle chip in by literally inches on the 500m 7th. Struggled hitting the green on par 3s. I'd either land on it, and spin off, or cop a bad bounce and run off etc.

Looking for the positives, finished off with a 94, hit 8 from 14 fairways total, 25% more greens in reg (which wasnt a difficult stat to improve from almost 0 really ;) ) 30 putts.

This good. ;)

Unfortunately almost every iron shot from the fairway I hit fat. Pissed me right off.

I'm not losing the balls or anything anymore, I'm hitting more fairways than ever, and it's not just down to the nunchuck. 3w and hybrids are heaps better. I gotta work out why I'm hitting the irons fat and i'll be sweet.

Yossarian
29th August 2011, 10:28 PM
What does Rocko rate at?

Hitting more fairways would also not be too tricky....

hocko
29th August 2011, 10:29 PM
This good. ;)

Unfortunately almost every iron shot from the fairway I hit fat. Pissed me right off.

I'm not losing the balls or anything anymore, I'm hitting more fairways than ever, and it's not just down to the nunchuck. 3w and hybrids are heaps better. I gotta work out why I'm hitting the irons fat and i'll be sweet.
Left shoulder.

rubin
29th August 2011, 10:33 PM
What does Rocko rate at?

Hitting more fairways would also not be too tricky....

It has improved out of sight. The 9th is the worst hole on the course by a long way, it's just stupid and looks like they've just gone 'yep - that'll do'. I love the back 9. Longer than the front, but also more enjoyable. They have some scheduled upgrades happening after summer apparently, I don't know what that means yet i haven't looked into it.

Left shoulder.

perhaps u could explain a little more. I thought it may have been down to me keeping my weight on my back foot.

Nuffie
29th August 2011, 10:34 PM
Rockingham didn't have a lot of grass on it last time I played there. It was also during pennants in winter but the point is, I found hitting irons there a challenge back then.

Maybe try move the ball just a tad further back in the stance, hit more of a 3/4 shot if the lie is real tight, and even try keeping the head extra still. At this time of the year, you have to do all those things well to maintain solid contact.

The 3/4 shot will also help the ball to be clipped more on the downswing, without taking a big divot that can grab the sole of the club or kill power. Hope this helps.

Hocko, elaborate on the shoulder thing??? I've been trying to help rubin with his swing. Do u reckon he gets it out of position whilst completing his backswing (i.e. Drops it) to maybe cause a reverse pivot when he commences the downswing??

rubin
29th August 2011, 10:44 PM
Nuff- my swing has changed considerably since the last time we played. The result of some serious hours on the range, and video footage so I can see what's going on.

I'm curious as to what hocko's saying by the left shoulder. I'm assuming he means hitting it fat is a direct result of dropping the left shoulder into the downswing, instead of maintaining the correct posture. Or am I way off base.

Nuffie
29th August 2011, 10:59 PM
We should catch up so I can see how the swing is progressing rubes.

Let me know what ur doing this weekend. I was going to head up to chequers for a look. Been a while since I had a hit there.

rubin
29th August 2011, 11:07 PM
We should catch up so I can see how the swing is progressing rubes.

Let me know what ur doing this weekend. I was going to head up to chequers for a look. Been a while since I had a hit there.

I'll let you know nuff. Maybe Sunday morning?

hocko
29th August 2011, 11:15 PM
Nuff- my swing has changed considerably since the last time we played. The result of some serious hours on the range, and video footage so I can see what's going on.
I tried this but it makes my arse look small....oh, your talking about your golf swing.

I'm curious as to what hocko's saying by the left shoulder. I'm assuming he means hitting it fat is a direct result of dropping the left shoulder into the downswing, instead of maintaining the correct posture. Or am I way off base.
This is what i meant, we tend to drop your left shoulder when trying to hit too hard or not focus on your hip turn.
My opinion that's all.

Johnny Canuck
29th August 2011, 11:22 PM
This is what i meant, we tend to drop your left shoulder when trying to hit too hard or not focus on your hip turn.
My opinion that's all.

Skinny knows fat.

hocko
29th August 2011, 11:23 PM
Skinny knows fat.
Can hit fat!

matty
30th August 2011, 10:46 AM
Good going Andy and MT.
I played Lynwood today for 36 points. 22/14.
The front 9 was the best I've ever hit the ball in a comp. In the space of 5 holes on the back I started thinking about swing mechanics. **** knows why? I didn't have to think about it. I was hitting it fine. ](*,)
Will bring me in from 8.1 to about 7.9.
With the new system to 5.6 :shock:

Yossarian
30th August 2011, 11:09 AM
What does Rocko rate at?

I meant ACR or whatever it is called now.

rubin
30th August 2011, 11:40 AM
I meant ACR or whatever it is called now.

Ohh gotcha - i believe its called the USGA Course Rating, and this is only from memory, but i think its 71.68.

I'll check that a little bit later.