PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing on-course escapades

LarryLong
22nd August 2011, 09:56 PM
A thread for OzGolfers to out themselves for being a tool. I'll kick things off with my latest moment of absent-mindedness.

Playing in a foursome with three blokes I didn't know on Saturday, and all is going swimmingly until the 16th hole. I hit the green with my approach shot and left myself with a long putt. The other blokes chipped on and I was furthest away, so I went to address my ball...

...and realised that I was holding my driver.

And I had left my bag about 40m away beside the next tee.

I made a couple of red-faced jokes and ran off to swap clubs, then got back and smashed my first putt five feet past the hole, then made the second one look easy. :)

No idea what I was thinking at the time.

Ned
22nd August 2011, 10:00 PM
This linked to the Solarman/NAGA Threads yet ?

markTHEblake
22nd August 2011, 10:18 PM
...and realised that I was holding my driver.

I played at Windaroo in an Ozgolf day, and after chopping it all the way up the 3rd hole (12th) started to line up my very long putt, like i usually do, crouching down and holding putter out in front of me. Then I froze when i realised I had a left handed putter in my hand, with the same head shape, like how hell did that happen?

After some delibaration and a bag inspection, decided that some schmuck put his putter into the wrong bag on the pratice green. Then I got my putter and holed the putt.

It wasn't embarrassing for me, but I did initially go through the process of wondering how I could get out of that spot without the other clowns in my group noticing.

dean0820
22nd August 2011, 10:26 PM
story #1;
3rd day of solid golf, 18th hole, i'm tending the pin for a guy with a long birdie putt worth some coin.
ball comes at the hole at speed, i rip out the pin, only to pull the entire cup halfway out of the hole.
the ball hits it, ping! and speeds away.
i still hear about it about once a month.

Yossarian
22nd August 2011, 10:28 PM
This (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/14799-Hit-in-the-face-with-a-golf-ball.?highlight=face)

kingslayer33
22nd August 2011, 10:29 PM
I once played in the club foursomes champs with a mate of mine. We were about 16 at the time and were going ok when we got to the 15th green. I had about a 15 footer across the slope for a birdie and proceeded to have a couple of practice swings to get a feel for the distance. Unfortunately the last one of these managed to make contact with the ball and skew it about 5 foot sideways. We had no idea what the ruling should have been and neither did our playing partners.

Fortunately we came second by about three shots so it would never have come into it. I am still reminded of my numptiness nearly every time I play with him though.

Greeny
22nd August 2011, 10:31 PM
story #1;
3rd day of solid golf, 18th hole, i'm tending the pin for a guy with a long birdie putt worth some coin.
ball comes at the hole at speed, i rip out the pin, only to pull the entire cup halfway out of the hole.
the ball hits it, ping! and speeds away.
i still hear about it about once a month.

LOL!

aimnhit
22nd August 2011, 10:31 PM
I was playing the Australian masters at huntidale about 5 years ago, just about the time I had the case of the "german tanks"
I smashed a drive up the 16th, I had about 90m to the stick from the middle of fairway and people everywhere.. I proceeded to hit it straight right onto metro gc... Made me laugh, so then the next day (Sunday) my buddies where out watching and I step up on the 16th fairway, look across to my right and see 4 of my mates in the slips position all in perfect formation, hands on the knees waiting for the johny rocket to return!!!
Bloody funny

markTHEblake
22nd August 2011, 10:38 PM
Playing on an open tournament I had a nudgee after both the first and third holes, I carried on, even though i didnt have a towel after the first one, and the fact that there was nowhere to go.

dc68
23rd August 2011, 07:58 AM
I can't remember the stuff I do.....

TheTrueReview
23rd August 2011, 09:32 AM
I was playing the Australian masters at huntidale about 5 years ago, just about the time I had the case of the "german tanks"
I smashed a drive up the 16th, I had about 90m to the stick from the middle of fairway and people everywhere.. I proceeded to hit it straight right onto metro gc... Made me laugh, so then the next day (Sunday) my buddies where out watching and I step up on the 16th fairway, look across to my right and see 4 of my mates in the slips position all in perfect formation, hands on the knees waiting for the johny rocket to return!!!
Bloody funny

Very funny. :lol:

Scifisicko
23rd August 2011, 11:00 AM
Playing on an open tournament I had a nudgee after both the first and third holes, I carried on, even though i didnt have a towel after the first one, and the fact that there was nowhere to go.

The mind boggles....was there something particularly frightening about those holes?

sms316
23rd August 2011, 06:09 PM
The mind boggles....was there something particularly frightening about those holes?

He saw the barmaid before hitting off.

Jarro
23rd August 2011, 06:16 PM
Playing Ocean Shores with MacLeod a few years ago :roll:

Ned
23rd August 2011, 06:45 PM
A couple of OZgolfers who played today some where in Brisbane had a special moment..................apparently

oncewasagolfer
23rd August 2011, 06:52 PM
I once played in the club foursomes champs with a mate of mine. We were about 16 at the time and were going ok when we got to the 15th green. I had about a 15 footer across the slope for a birdie and proceeded to have a couple of practice swings to get a feel for the distance. Unfortunately the last one of these managed to make contact with the ball and skew it about 5 foot sideways. We had no idea what the ruling should have been and neither did our playing partners.

Fortunately we came second by about three shots so it would never have come into it. I am still reminded of my numptiness nearly every time I play with him though.
I did the same thing about 15 years ago and to this day I still don't have a practice stroke before putting. I have also had the shanks real bad some years back was on the practice fairway before teeing off in the Bendigo open tournament and shanked 50 in a row o.o.b. on the road. Needless to say I didn't have a very good day after that:)

Ferrins
23rd August 2011, 07:05 PM
A couple of OZgolfers who played today some where in Brisbane had a special moment..................apparently

Got DQed for not playing off the white tees, my so called mate called it.

markTHEblake
23rd August 2011, 07:20 PM

I was clenching the butt cheeks so tight i was shaking, that made it difficult to putt.

IamViva
23rd August 2011, 07:48 PM
a playing partner of mine went to look for his ball in a creek bed and returned with no socks... :p

as for me, tearing my hamstring as i took off mid putt to chase my golf cart which was rolling towards a green-side dam.

Johnny Canuck
23rd August 2011, 08:13 PM
I posted this in another thread.

My scotty cover is getting a bit old so I no longer need to inside the velcro. I tried pulling it off last week with a little too much force and punched myself in the ear so hard that i had a ringing sound for a good 30 seconds.

I was pretty confused for a few seconds as to why my head was suddenly hurting.

Lagerlover
23rd August 2011, 08:50 PM
At Cooly Tweed champs with Perci & co went to throw my ball in greenside dam and the ball stuck in my hand, went 10 meters straight up in the air and almost came straight down on my head, couldn't even spit the dummy properly... funny how I couldn't miss the water from 150 out

BrisVegas
23rd August 2011, 09:05 PM
Had a fit of the giggles at the Kooralbyn champs after about 10 too many Bundy and Cokes. What's worse is that I was laughing at my own joke.... Lost the hole to golfer69 which was enough to sober me up.

Croydo
23rd August 2011, 09:16 PM
Playing at Windsor Golf Club years ago, I was walking backwards lining up a putt unfortunately behind me there was a bunker I ended up going arse over tit and falling in it.

Dotty
23rd August 2011, 09:26 PM
Every time someone throws me a marker or ball on the green.

Courty
23rd August 2011, 09:34 PM
Playing at Windsor Golf Club years ago, I was walking backwards lining up a putt unfortunately behind me there was a bunker I ended up going arse over tit and falling in it.

I've done this one myself. I was backing away from someone about to hit off on the 7th at Paradise Palms and ended up tumbling backwards down the frikkin hill!

aimnhit
23rd August 2011, 10:22 PM
Just remembered.... When I was about 14 playing in the local comp at mt coolum, I was on the 6th par 5 hitting my second with my old maxfli blade 1 iron.... I pulled it straight in the crap left, went over to my bag with flames steaming out me ears and slammed my club into bag only the figure out that this bag I had has a shaft divider bar about 3 quarters of the way down.... the iron came shooting back at me and smashed me above the eye, last ball I hit for a week!! Straight to doc to stitch up my head... Idiot!!

Ned
23rd August 2011, 10:24 PM
I've done this one myself. I was backing away from someone about to hit off on the 7th at Paradise Palms and ended up tumbling backwards down the frikkin hill!

Is that the Solarman effect ?

Ferrins
23rd August 2011, 10:25 PM
As a jnr member of RQ I was caught having one sock lower than the other.

MegaWatty
23rd August 2011, 10:27 PM
Flog sock?

Eldrick
23rd August 2011, 10:27 PM
chased out of a dry creek bed by a red bellied black snake.
the sight of a 6'5" bloke back peddling as fast as he could with flailing arms like windmills had the other golfers on nearby tees in hysterics

hocko
23rd August 2011, 10:30 PM
As a 13 year old junior member in Melbourne a mate and i got accused of shitting on the second green!
I am sure it was wombat poo or something but we got dragged into the commitee room for a right scalding.
Friggin aristocratic wankers!

My mate and i still laugh about it.

Yossarian
24th August 2011, 12:30 AM
Tourfit drove his buggy into a bunker. And the bushes, we still have video somewhere.

MegaWatty
24th August 2011, 12:30 AM
Still on YouTube I think.

Ned
24th August 2011, 12:31 AM
Link ?

MegaWatty
24th August 2011, 12:36 AM
Try this.

It comes with a language warning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul9whAfjopc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Daves
24th August 2011, 08:09 AM

I have done that. I sort of knew it was there but it turned out to be closer than I had estimated. Managed to stay upright but still felt stupid!.

IanO
24th August 2011, 02:30 PM
I played at Windaroo in an Ozgolf day, and after chopping it all the way up the 3rd hole (12th) started to line up my very long putt, like i usually do, crouching down and holding putter out in front of me. Then I froze when i realised I had a left handed putter in my hand, with the same head shape, like how hell did that happen?

After some delibaration and a bag inspection, decided that some schmuck put his putter into the wrong bag on the pratice green. Then I got my putter and holed the putt.

It wasn't embarrassing for me, but I did initially go through the process of wondering how I could get out of that spot without the other clowns in my group noticing.

Did you DQ for having too many clubs in your bag?

Johnny Canuck
24th August 2011, 03:52 PM
Good call Iano. Another dumbass golf rule.

sms316
24th August 2011, 04:34 PM

Or a 4 shot penalty?

MegaWatty
24th August 2011, 04:58 PM
Or a 4 shot penalty?

You're good at this!

markTHEblake
24th August 2011, 06:16 PM

Under Equity the ruling was made that as it was an action by a fellow competitor to place the club in my bag there was no penalty applied.

rubin
24th August 2011, 06:29 PM
Tourfit drove his buggy into a bunker. And the bushes, we still have video somewhere.

not technically on a golf course - but also drove his car into a ditch.

Ned
24th August 2011, 07:12 PM

What about the Holden Twin Cab ?

MegaWatty
24th August 2011, 07:18 PM
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/MegaWatty/OzGolf/7cc8669a.jpg

sms316
24th August 2011, 07:23 PM
The thread title is "on course", not Belangalo State Forest.

Eldrick
24th August 2011, 07:27 PM
i'm impressed the buggy made it that far into the scrub