PDA

View Full Version : Driver launch angle.

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:27 PM
I would like to understand how to get a launch angle that reflexs the loft of my driver. I am sick of hitting my shots really low. Any tips or links? sms said I get so far in front that I almost create negative loft.

Jarro
20th August 2011, 06:28 PM
Learn how to 'flip'

rubin
20th August 2011, 06:37 PM
I'll trade u some of mine from some of my iron shots. Looking for a half good short game in return. :D

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:38 PM
I used to pump my drives straight over the corner every time I played the 17th at Nudgee. Got buckleys now.

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:39 PM
I can hit my 5 wood just right but the driver has me fuc^ed.

BrisVegas
20th August 2011, 06:42 PM
front foot setup. preset your spine angle away from the target. tee it up high and sweep it upwards. thats what i was taught.

failing that, flip at it like i do.

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIQWPBsWX0&feature=related

Is this bollock?

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:55 PM
And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcTXv451XGM

I would still be taller than jaybam:)

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 06:57 PM
front foot setup. preset your spine angle away from the target. tee it up high and sweep it upwards. thats what i was taught.

failing that, flip at it like i do.

I try this and seem to put too much spin on the ball.

BrisVegas
20th August 2011, 07:00 PM
if you hit it on the "up" you shouldn't put any extra spin on it. My understanding is that spin comes from hitting down on it slightly.

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 07:02 PM
My driving used to be good when I could tee it up at my folks place and knock it across the Coomera River.

BrisVegas
20th August 2011, 07:07 PM
Nudgee 17th is a good guide. If you can't get it up quick enough there, then you got issues. Back in the 90's when I was a member there, I always struggled with the carry. I usually took my 3 wood and tried to kill it to get the right height. Since getting a bit more confidence with the driver a few years back, that's a doddle now. Hell I can hit it over the trees next to the tee on CTH River West 1st hole.... :oops:

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 07:10 PM
I have gotten it up every time just don't get the distance and get caught by the last trees.

BrisVegas
20th August 2011, 07:12 PM
I have gotten it up every time just don't get the distance and get caught by the last trees.

So, you have trouble keeping it up for long enough and clearing the bush? :wink:

Ferrins
20th August 2011, 07:16 PM
I am going to try using some anal beads to give me a bit more go with the driver. I know Nev at Nudgee was a fan.

BrisVegas
20th August 2011, 07:23 PM
it's worth a shot.

Iain
20th August 2011, 08:29 PM
if you hit it on the "up" you shouldn't put any extra spin on it. My understanding is that spin comes from hitting down on it slightly.

No. It depends on your AoA and dynamic loft to determine spin.

If Ferrins is spinning it too much when trying to hit up, I'd guess he's flipping it.

virge666
21st August 2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIQWPBsWX0&feature=related

Is this bollock?

It is an old way of thinking. Not the best way to learn it

Scifisicko
21st August 2011, 09:14 PM
You need to hit up on the ball with more spine tilt to get more launch as BV says. Average PGA tour player AoA is negative which proves hitting down on the ball on it's own doesn't create spin. In general hitting mid/low on the face and up on the ball is one way to create spin. Hit high on the face with an upward AoA and spin should be low. Understanding what causes spin is worth the trouble. If you are technically inclined, you can go to the trackman web site and read about gear effect (etc).