PDA

View Full Version : Taking clubs out of your bag...

Talart
17th August 2011, 11:59 AM
I would have to be forced to take any club out of my bag. A quote from Camilo Villegas on being asked the Favorite Club question, best states my position on the clubs in my bag.
<strong>"I'd better love all 14. I eventually have to hit them all, and if I dislike one, I'll just get over the ball with a bad attitude, and the outcome won’t be great."</strong>
Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1883591,00.html#ixzz1VF91cBBZ

I do use them all and the only time I change is when a new one is bought to replace one. Having never been a big hitter of the ball the variety of irons in my bag has always been a nescessity. Over time that has entrenched a mindset that enhances my capability on the course.

There is no doubt that my ability to use some clubs has to be supported with flaming hours of practise. Of late the change to regular flex shafts on my irons has been a real boon. Now I have bought a reg flex driver that has already passed muster, replacing the stiff flex driver. The reg flex hybrid (#2 17 degree) to replace the existing 16 degree stiff flex is still not in the bag. As the above describes, changing clubs is not easy for me to do without a lot of thought and experimenting.

Am I overly pedantic or do others take time to change clubs in their bags. Or is it as easy as putting on clean socks in the morning for you?

dean0820
17th August 2011, 12:43 PM
i hate them all equally, so i change without a second thought.
in fact, this weekend i will have 11 different clubs from last weekend.

Ferrins
17th August 2011, 12:47 PM
I sniff my socks before I put them on in the morning and when I lived in share housing I would sniff my golf grips as well.

matty
17th August 2011, 12:57 PM
when I lived in share housing I would sniff my golf grips as well.

What about the club heads?

matty
17th August 2011, 12:58 PM
Providing the flex and length of your clubs is suited to you, the rest comes from the ability of the golfer I think. That said, we all know how psychological golf is, so it's important it is to feel good about your clubs. I wouldn't go anywhere near the effort into buying one club as buying a whole set. There'd be a lot of testing to make sure I liked the feel and was confident in the set up of a new set of irons.

Talart
17th August 2011, 02:07 PM
i hate them all equally, so i change without a second thought.
in fact, this weekend i will have 11 different clubs from last weekend.

ahh, that must be the tuff love golf program

Talart
17th August 2011, 02:10 PM
Providing the flex and length of your clubs is suited to you, the rest comes from the ability of the golfer I think. That said, we all know how psychological golf is, so it's important it is to feel good about your clubs. I wouldn't go anywhere near the effort into buying one club as buying a whole set. There'd be a lot of testing to make sure I liked the feel and was confident in the set up of a new set of irons.

It has always been an assertion of mine that the quality of a golfers equipment is not the most important factor in playing well. That said it must be suitable to the individual golfer yet is not as important as practise to develop ability on the course.

virge666
17th August 2011, 02:28 PM
I have a naughty chair in my work shop - it is called the "eBay Bin".

If clubs dont perform - they are put in the naughty chair to think about what they have done and how they can possibly reconcile with their master.

My current putter has been in the naughty chair twice . . . and it seems to do the trick.

I put the Nike VR driver in there a few weeks back - the head was compaining about the shaft being too stiff and heavy - I just told it that a good tradesman never blames his tools and stuck him in the naughty chair... maybe it will learn like his putter mate did.

BrisVegas
17th August 2011, 03:07 PM
one goes out, one comes in. meh.

Tongueboy
17th August 2011, 06:27 PM
virge go and see someone please