PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Cheap Laptop

Flavzz
5th August 2011, 09:03 PM
Watching a few on the Bay but don't want to spend too much. What u got? preferably 15" or larger (no homo)

markTHEblake
5th August 2011, 09:08 PM
What do you call cheap?

Flavzz
5th August 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't have a specific budget yet but if I buy second hand prob 300 or less. Otherwise I might as well get a newy for 5-6..

markTHEblake
5th August 2011, 09:45 PM
i have a 12" Dell XPS that i was thinking of letting go for $200+, (and a Netbook for even less) but i guess you really want bigger. but its my daily so i would have to work out what i am going to replace it with too.

Flavzz
5th August 2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah def want 15 or bigger as I need it for CAD and want to be able to see what the hell im doing :) cheers anyway MTB

markTHEblake
5th August 2011, 10:20 PM
What. You reckon i can see it as well?
I run a 22" off it and use it as dual screen

Chris32
5th August 2011, 10:25 PM
Check out the online auctions at grays online they have heaps, we have got a few for work without any dramas, or locally try Evans Clarke auctions or MGS Auction house down at Cheltenham

kpac
6th August 2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah def want 15 or bigger as I need it for CAD and want to be able to see what the hell im doing :) cheers anyway MTB

I use CAD off a 13" mate. Just plug it into a 24" monitor at the desk. Laptop aren't designed a workstation for CAD anyway. Dual screening will be much better for you.

I'm upgrading my Macbook shortly. I'll be trading it back for under 1k if you're interested.

What CAD are you running?

Flavzz
6th August 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm just starting with basic cad. We are using 2011 AutoCad mechanical. I have a 24" desktop at home and don't even need a laptop but just thought it would be handy to have something portable with a decent screen.

Thanks for the insight boys, the Mac is prob a little bit out of my price range thanks kpac.

kpac
8th August 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm just starting with basic cad. We are using 2011 AutoCad mechanical. I have a 24" desktop at home and don't even need a laptop but just thought it would be handy to have something portable with a decent screen.

Thanks for the insight boys, the Mac is prob a little bit out of my price range thanks kpac.

No sweat.
Just consider the use, as i went from 17" laptop to 13". As the big one was painfull to move about with. Heavy, needed big bag and when i was on the plane i needed the bloke besides my to hit "enter". So there are pros and cons either way. If it is mainly for moving around with, i'd be seriously considering the smaller the better. If it's a sit at home thing then by all means 15"-17" would be great.

Flavzz
8th August 2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah thanks mate it's so tempting to want the real estate of a 17" when in reality it may not be as practical like u say lol. At this stage I'm gonna use my desktop PC and just use a USB to take my work with me..

Coffs_Hacker
8th August 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm doing CAD on one of these fellas http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/toshiba-qosmio-x505.aspx

not very light and portable though

goonie
8th August 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a 15" laptop and I will be moving to a smaller screen next time.

Flavzz
8th August 2011, 02:34 PM
Interesting stuff I would have thought a 15 would be minimum but there u go.

KristianJ
8th August 2011, 05:03 PM
15" should be the minimum if you're not going to be using an external monitor, I agree. IMO the standard sort of res ( 1366 x 768 ) might not quite be as useful for you. Full HD (1920 x 1200), I reckon, but that will be out of your budget unless you buy second hand and it still has a decent chunk of warranty.