PDA

View Full Version : Lie Angle

live4golf
5th August 2011, 08:53 AM
According to the fittings I have done and measurements, I need 2 degrees upright. I have a set of clubs that is 1 degree flat. What should I expect from using these irons? - Just a leakage (no homo) to the right?...would they be harder to hit for me all things being equal?

I hit them last night at the range and last Saturday and I got a few right but most were a tad fat.

Should I not use them until I get them bent to 2 degrees upright or does it not really matter all that much? - They are the right length for me.

Interestingly the divots with them were very flat, not toe deep as I would have thought.

Johnny Canuck
5th August 2011, 09:30 AM
If you get measured, get it done based on a variety of the irons. When I had Fit do mine I had greatly different adjustments between my 4 iron and my pw.

My 4 is something insane like 5 degrees upright, but I have had zero issues switching to my CB2s that are standard.

I got my cap to 4 without ever having a set of irons adjusted. You'll be fine using them, in my opinion.

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't use the short irons. Three degrees too upright = ball heading about 15 feet left of where you are aiming with the PW.

The effect gets less as the lofts decrease.

I see you are using R9 TP Bs, very very hard to bend ( it can be done but you will need to find a courageous club maker). TM will also do it but charge about $250.

Tomson
5th August 2011, 12:35 PM
I see you are using R9 TP Bs, very very hard to bend ( it can be done but you will need to find a courageous club maker). TM will also do it but charge about $250.

You sure about that?

timinsa
5th August 2011, 12:36 PM
Bend it til it creaks....Then just a little more...

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure about what i am sure about, but for sure they are absolute b@stards to bend. The pressure you apply to "not bend them at all" is enough to turn a forged hosel into a pretzl. I bent some 09 burners 2 degrees by absolutely hauling on an extra long bending bar. I thought every one was going to break (but they didn't). TM Oz wanted $250 and 3 weeks to do it. Whether it can be done by a local club maker will depend on how long the TP B hosels are and whether the club maker can pull the handle hard enough.

Tomson
5th August 2011, 02:35 PM
The TM R9 B/C stamps are forged and are soft, I have had both sets and bent them without much pressure at all. I think you have them mistaken for the TM R9 which are cast.

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 05:06 PM
For the OPs sake i hope you are right. Maybe they made a forged variant of the R9 TP B as well as the "standard" cast version. I hadnt heard of it until now. They definitely made forged versions of the R9 and R9 TP though. Maybe you are getting them mixed up?

Tomson
5th August 2011, 05:12 PM
I can tell you the R9 B/C (Difference being offset) were forged, they are also made a Japanese forged R9 which I have also owned, so I'm not getting anything mixed up. The straight R9 and R9 TP were cast.

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 05:28 PM
Just done some googling, turns out we are both sort of right. The TP Bs are made of 8620 carbon steel which cant be forged. Thats why you dont see the word "forged" on the B heads, but do on the R9 Japan forged and R9 TP forged. Understandable that you could bend them though. Its the same steel they cast Vokeys with.

live4golf
5th August 2011, 05:35 PM
So on the original topic....if my divot is square and the same depth toe to heel, ball goes straight, should not have a problem?

Does the incorrect lie produce loss of distance at all or am I just hacking the ball around at the moment?

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 05:43 PM
Sorry for the tangent. Check out the thread on dynamically checking lie angle. You need to do this with some tape and a lie board or chopping board. If you lie angles are out this will tell you better than looking at your divots. If the ball is going straight and you are striking the center of the face you dont have a problem, even if the lie angles are out.

Tomson
5th August 2011, 05:56 PM
They are form forged same as the vokey's. The R9 B/C can be bent with ease I have done them both.

Johnny Canuck
5th August 2011, 06:01 PM
You're a hack and it won't affect distance. Sounds like you're overly concerned and I prescribe a strong dose of Rotella ;).

matt22
5th August 2011, 06:13 PM
I would assume it would have some detrimental affect using clubs that have the incorrect lie, incorrect lie creating face plane tilt, even with a good swing.

I think I recall reading somewhere that for every degree of lie the club is out, it will make a shot 2-3 yards out from where you aimed it (left to right or right to left). That may not be much of an issue with the longer irons, but as Scifisicko mentioned, when using the shorter irons that could be the difference from green to the bunker.

I had a club fitting done the other day and I also are meant to be 2 degrees upright. The current set of clubs I am using would be around standard, when reviewing my divot it appears to be a little toe deep, doesn't seem to be even. I do have the habit of pushing the ball a little left at times (also am a left hander). I'll be interested to see if that improves when i pick my new clubs up @ 2 Deg upright.

As for distance im not too sure, could possibly play a factor with back spin with the higher lofted clubs.

Guess it comes down to how serious you are about your golf, I get by with the set I currently have, maybe not to the standard of some others though lol

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 06:15 PM
Lol "form forged"....that's clever marketing.

live4golf
5th August 2011, 06:41 PM
You're a hack and it won't affect distance. Sounds like you're overly concerned and I prescribe a strong dose of Rotella ;).

I don't read...

live4golf
5th August 2011, 06:44 PM
Cheers Matt.

I'll give them a bash tomorrow...I think I am just hitting it poorly (davepuppies can attest to that after seeing me hit last night)

matt22
5th August 2011, 07:00 PM
Id love to blame my lie angle, but unfortunatley, I think its poor hitting from me also lol

Tomson
5th August 2011, 07:04 PM
Lol "form forged"....that's clever marketing.

whats so clever about it?

Scifisicko
5th August 2011, 07:51 PM
Males it sound like they are forged

Tomson
5th August 2011, 07:55 PM
Have you adjust the lie/lofts on a set of R9 B stamps??

dc68
5th August 2011, 08:27 PM
:roll:

Webster
5th August 2011, 08:32 PM
Does form forged feel as soft as regular forged?

timah!
5th August 2011, 09:19 PM
I can't believe it's not butter?

TourFit
5th August 2011, 10:01 PM
Form Forged 'generally' means the shape is pre-cast and then the lighter pressure air hammers (not the 50+ ton used to forge true billets) just hone it down a little...

Tomson is right, there are a number of variants on the R9's...I have seen the standard R9 & R9 TP and they are a bugger to bend as scifisicko attests, but the R9 Forged are as soft as anything to bend. Personally, I haven't seen the B or C versions but from all I've heard they pose no problems.

Live4golf...as far as lie angles go, there will be some initial subconscious and conscious adjustments that YOU will make in your swing to compensate. It is natural, unavoidable (unless you bend them) but why would you do it...? YOU ARE THE DYNAMIC FORCE, bend the inanimate object to fit YOU. Otherwise your adjustment around an incorrect club may end up taking hold within your swing and will be WAY harder to get out than if you do lie angles correctly to begin with!!!

davepuppies
6th August 2011, 08:21 AM
L4G, i wouldnt get too worried till you get your swing back a little....... as you said, you were having a off night.

Scifisicko
6th August 2011, 01:01 PM
@ Tomson, ive already conceded they can be bent like Vokeys. I was dead wrong about them being hard to bend. I am right about them being cast. If you still cant accept this dont bang on at me, google "R9 TP Bs forged or cast".

Back on topic Tourfit is spot on, if they are 3* out and going straight you will be making undesirable swing compensations. Luckily you can easily get them bent and will wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

live4golf
7th August 2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies...well, the on-topic replies :)

Turns out the lie-angle didn't make a lick of difference. put a good swing on them and they perform well. Hit a lot of good iron shots yesterday.