PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open would you have a crack at qualifying?

Talart
2nd August 2011, 09:39 AM
During the build up to the British Open on Fox the 1993 open was replayed several times with various interviews with players. Greg Norman was adamant about the ethos behind the British Open and that many of the field had come from qualifying in the UK. How much that meant to the local golfers, had Norman emotive with the desire to play as he spoke. To be able to play in that event himself and recalling his exposure to the passion and commitment the local qualifiers have to get on the playing list was humbling for Norman then.

I have no delusions about my ability, lol I am a 14 handicapper and enjoy travelling and playing in as many regional opens I can each season (approx 10). Now in A grade at the top end of the grade winning a nett is the best I can try for. It is fun and definitely a challenge that I relish putting an effort into.

The Australian Open is ‘our’ competition that is open for any of us to have a crack at. After reaching a certain standard to enter qualifying. Winners list has a 39 year gap between amateur winners as follows 1999 Aaron Baddeley – Australia (amateur) then back to
1960 Bruce Devlin – Australia (amateur) in 2000 Aaron Baddeley – Australia (professional) won back to back.

I assume that it is an economic logic behind the location and number of qualifying rounds. The reality of success is that making the final field would be limited. Even so the opportunity to have a crack and doing it in home states to begin would in my opinion be a benefit for golf and the club members.

How many here have, are or would try to have a crack at Open qualifying?

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2011, 09:44 AM
If I was even close to good enough, I'd have a go. Alas, I'm not. However, for those that aspire to give it a go, the journey can sometimes be just as enriching as achieving the goal (whether it's achieved or not). Knockers be damned. You're only here once.

Veefore
2nd August 2011, 11:43 AM
I know a bloke who plays in he local qualifier here in WA every year. He hasn't come close to making it into the one spot available but he keeps trying.

Yossarian
2nd August 2011, 11:46 AM
Say you did make it would you feel good about being the guy they show once or twice on tv with the score of +20 through 15 holes?

Goldy
2nd August 2011, 11:50 AM
Say you did make it would you feel good about being the guy they show once or twice on tv with the score of +20 through 15 holes?

Sh!t yeah! I'm on TV!!!!

It's mentality like this that has caused the likes of Masterchef and Masterbuilder and MasterBrother to be the bane of our televisual existence.

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2011, 11:54 AM
Since it been part of One Asia there are only a handful of spots in the final field for qualifiers. By contrast the Brit and US Opens have about half the spots in the final field for qualifiers.

Its probably as hard if not harder to qualify your way into the Aust Open than it is into the Brit and US Opens.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2011, 01:07 PM
there are even local qualifying events for the Open (british) in Darwin.

if you qualify to play in a qualifier why not participate. for some people that might be the biggest event they will ever play it does not matter if you have no chance. Remember Eddie the Eagle/Eel?

Flavzz
2nd August 2011, 01:16 PM
If I had a cap close to scratch I'd give it a go for sure. Just trying out for the qualifier would be a great experience.

TheTrueReview
2nd August 2011, 01:52 PM
I think Theodore Roosevelt said it best.

"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds."

Flavzz
2nd August 2011, 02:08 PM
Nice quote

Minor_Threat
2nd August 2011, 02:36 PM
I am contemplating having another go this year. My last attempt was 2003 when I was playing as a pro (I managed to qualify in 2001 and 2002). Not sure I can be bothered taking a day off and heading into Sydney though.

As Hawkers alluded to, times have changed now and the number of spots has been drastically reduced.

BayBum
2nd August 2011, 02:47 PM
only 1 spot for w.a ? Thats disgraceful.Anyone decent enough,who had doubts,would be better off entering long drive comps.Saaaad.

AndyP
2nd August 2011, 02:52 PM
Do it, MT. The forum can experience the qualifying though you. :D

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2011, 04:45 PM
only 1 spot for w.a ? Thats disgraceful.Anyone decent enough,who had doubts,would be better off entering long drive comps.Saaaad.

make that no spots - there is no regional qualifying any more

last year roughly 200 players hit it up on Open Week Monday at 3 Sydney venues for 8 spots. From memory 4 spots are reserved for qualifiers but that usually slightly increases at the last minute due to cancellations / release of unfilled sponsor spots, etc.

By contrast in January 50 players hit it up at Kingston Heath for 3 spots in this years Brittish Open.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2011, 05:45 PM
By contrast in January 50 players hit it up at Kingston Heath for 3 spots in this years Brittish Open.

that makes for a lot of disinterested competitors after about 9 holes, I wonder if such events carry points for the state and national rankings to keep people motivated?

Eldrick
2nd August 2011, 07:02 PM
do it MT,looks what Ozgolf has done for Bowdo:)

LowTee
2nd August 2011, 07:13 PM
That is a disgrace if there is no qualifying in WA. There should be qualifying in every state its the bloody Australian Open for crying out loud!!!!!!

If you have a chance at playng a qualifyer i reckon you should give it a crack

Talart
2nd August 2011, 07:23 PM
I am contemplating having another go this year. My last attempt was 2003 when I was playing as a pro (I managed to qualify in 2001 and 2002). Not sure I can be bothered taking a day off and heading into Sydney though.

As Hawkers alluded to, times have changed now and the number of spots has been drastically reduced.

Go for it MT it would be a real treat to follow the experience with you through here.

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2011, 07:37 PM
that makes for a lot of disinterested competitors after about 9 holes, I wonder if such events carry points for the state and national rankings to keep people motivated?

I think they count for selection purposes. Its a one day 36 hole event, a long day if you are having a chop. Some pros pull the pin after 18 if the are well out of the hunt.

Talart
2nd August 2011, 07:39 PM

Absolutely. Getting there and playing amongst some PGA golfers and standing up there and challenging them would be worth being +20 after 15. Maybe a bit of Don Quixote' is in me and I like to tilt at windmills for the sake of honour and glory.

Dotty
2nd August 2011, 07:48 PM
Absolutely. Getting there and playing amongst some PGA golfers and standing up there and challenging them would be worth being +20 after 15. Maybe a bit of Don Quixote' is in me and I like to tilt at windmills for the sake of honour and glory.
Put the shoe on the other foot.

How you like some amateur coming to your work and do a hack job mopping the toilets?

:)

I know a few amateurs that have tried for the spots and failed. The successful ones in regional qualifying tend to be club pros, that could have been on the circuit, if we had a decent circuit locally (or the funds to try for the Nationwide or European tours).

Minor_Threat
2nd August 2011, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure guys, I keep saying I'm a once a week (if lucky) golfer. It's not really my place to be taking on these guys who are out there everyday!

I tend to think I have had my go, it was awesome for sure, but probably not worth the time, effort and money to persue.

Talart
2nd August 2011, 08:11 PM
Put the shoe on the other foot.

How you like some amateur coming to your work and do a hack job mopping the toilets?

:)

I know a few amateurs that have tried for the spots and failed. The successful ones in regional qualifying tend to be club pros, that could have been on the circuit, if we had a decent circuit locally (or the funds to try for the Nationwide or European tours).

Lol mate It is similar (cleaner version) to a heckler comback line I have used in standup shows. It is something that would be a bonus for Oz golf to have a reasonable nationwide circuit. It is a money thing that is a fact and would take a dedicated organisation to do the work and it would be bloody hard to start.

Yossarian
2nd August 2011, 08:13 PM
If you are not off very low numbers then I think it is a bit silly.

Talart
2nd August 2011, 08:50 PM
If you are not off very low numbers then I think it is a bit silly.

From what I have gathered through here you have to be off 2 or less to apply for a spot in qualifying. The screening process keeps the hackers out from the begining as it should.
Having a blowout can happen to any golfer Yoss. If my handicap was 2 I would definitely apply (which is about as likely as me winning xlotto)

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2011, 11:22 PM
The local gun had a crack last year. Pretty sure he was 2 under thru 15 but ended even or 1 over.

peter_rs
3rd August 2011, 06:52 AM
Worth a go if u are good enough, even if it's just the experience.

Not golf related but when I was asked to trail for the aust men's Futsal team I new it was a long shot but I don't regret it for a minute.

sms316
3rd August 2011, 07:03 AM
Had three cracks at local qualifying. Missed the first by a shot. Walked off at the second after five holes. Missed the third by a few.

Good fun in a strange way. No point going unless you work your arse off for at least six months prior.

PerryGroves
3rd August 2011, 08:09 AM
That is a disgrace if there is no qualifying in WA. There should be qualifying in every state its the bloody Australian Open for crying out loud!!!

They run a qualifying for the Sth African Open over there, appeals to more of the population.

Talart
3rd August 2011, 09:13 AM
For a game that in the main most players are very modest about their exploits, it is great to see there are golfers here who have stood up and had a crack. We all have a different demeanor on the first tee but to sit here and be able to see that in a casual social chat with no 'big noting' golfers are saying they did try to get on the course with the PGA guns.

SMS 316 sums it up for me; "Had three cracks at local qualifying. Missed the first by a shot. Walked off at the second after five holes. Missed the third by a few.

Good fun in a strange way. No point going unless you work your arse off for at least six months prior."

There is a part of me that would really like to see a concerted 'group' effort from amateurs to fill the open spots. Even though it is an individual sport the success of the 'underdog' (for want of a better word) has a luring appeal. If any are having a crack at this years qualifying to be able to read about their challenge, the support through here would be a given I reckon from other posters?

TheTrueReview
3rd August 2011, 09:21 AM
Worth a go if u are good enough, even if it's just the experience.

+ 1

AndyP
3rd August 2011, 09:25 AM
“You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” - Homer Simpson

Veefore
3rd August 2011, 11:04 AM
“You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” - Homer Simpson

I learnt that lesson when I was about 13 years old. Life has been so much easier since.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd August 2011, 11:20 AM
Its called the Australian Open for a reason, if you make it through qualifying you've earned the right to play in the event.

Talart
3rd August 2011, 12:01 PM
+ 1

+2 Bugga stuffed the quote up.

Talart
3rd August 2011, 12:03 PM
peter rs "Worth a go if u are good enough, even if it's just the experience."

+2

LeftyHoges
3rd August 2011, 02:32 PM
My Bro had a go at it 4 or 5 years ago, when he was actually off 1 under the old system (a much better accomplishment than with the new) and missed out by 1. I think he shot 70 or 71 around Box Hill in the qualifier. Bogeyed either 16 or 17 to miss out.

Minor_Threat
3rd August 2011, 02:59 PM
Lets not forget there are two stages at qualifying for the average amateur, club pros and anyone else that wants a crack. Both times I got in I was exempted to the final qualifying.

Hawkers2008
3rd August 2011, 08:02 PM
Lets not forget there are two stages at qualifying for the average amateur, club pros and anyone else that wants a crack. Both times I got in I was exempted to the final qualifying.

Since One Asia only FQ, it has slightly tighter entry criteria they use 3 venues so they could theoretically accommodate 500 maybe 600 hopefuls

Minor_Threat
3rd August 2011, 09:47 PM
Since One Asia only FQ, it has slightly tighter entry criteria they use 3 venues so they could theoretically accommodate 500 maybe 600 hopefuls
Ahh my apologies, shows the extent of my knowledge on the way it works.

Talart
4th August 2011, 10:18 AM

Excuse my ignorance Hawker what does "FQ" stand for?

Minor_Threat
4th August 2011, 10:22 AM
Excuse my ignorance Hawker what does "FQ" stand for?I believe FQ in this instance would be "Final Qualifying". Before One Asia appeared there was a Regional Qualifying round and then a Final Qualifying round.

Hawkers2008
4th August 2011, 01:08 PM
I believe FQ in this instance would be "Final Qualifying". Before One Asia appeared there was a Regional Qualifying round and then a Final Qualifying round.

Exactly before we hooked up with the One Asia tour

We had 10 or so regional qualifying events spread all round the country. Players not exempt into final qualifying havd hit it up in one of these initially. The events varied greatly in size based on size a certain proportion of the field would advance with a minimum of 1 player going forward. So in Hobart only 3 or 4 players might try and the winner would advance to FQ. At the really big regional qualifiers the winner would get to skip FQ and advance straight through to the final field.

petethepilot
5th August 2011, 07:13 PM
Back in the early eighty's I entered qualifying for the Queensland Open. It was a main PGA tour event then and the Shark would come back and play in it especially when it was at RQ. I was 20 and playing pretty well. Qualifying was at Virginia GC (Norman and Grady's home course). 98 starters for 15 slots (1 round of qualifying only). I shot 71 on a wet and windy day and qualified 11th. Some of the Pro's that missed were pissed at the amateurs as 6 out of the 15 slots went to us and they felt we were preventing them making money!

Off to RQ for the Open. Not a course I feared as I had played it a lot especially in Pennants. Ben Hogan once said that Golf and Tournament Golf had as much in common as apples and baseballs!

The greens at RQ set up for the Open were scary fast and firm. Like nothing I had ever played before. I shot 78, 76 and missed the cut by 10. I could not imagine ever being able to get a score under par around there as it was set up..............Norman shot 22 under and won by 5!!!! I could not fathom how he did that other than he was simply the best golfer in the world at the time and the gap between good amateur and average professional (little alone Norman) is huge!.

Was it a good experience. Yes. I crapped myself on the range and on the first tee and generally just tried to keep out of the other players way. I also realised that I would never have a good enough game to make 1 dollar on the pro circuit. But as an experience it was a bit like bungy jumping, frightening whilst doing it but after it finishes, you want to do it again.

Should amateurs try for the Open. Sure. Just don't expect to go well unless you bring plenty of game and totally believe you belong there.

Pete

Talart
8th August 2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that Pete a well written description of the experience. A little bit of eloquence goes a long way. Having a go was once an Australian idiom that was practised now it is almost as if the fear of failure and embarassment has eroded away confidence among sportslovers

mike
8th August 2011, 08:17 PM
A friend of mine years ago qualified for the NSW Open. He was in the first group out, birdied the first and then shot a million over.

He tells everyone he once lead the NSW Open ... for 9 minutes.