PDA

View Full Version : Composite Course: Can it be used for handicapping purposes?

LeftyHoges
29th July 2011, 03:52 PM
Hopefully one of you gents will know the answer to this.

Tomorrow is the final round of club champs at the little country course I'm a member of. Over the last few weeks the course has been slaughtered by the rain, causing 4 holes of the 9 hole course to be unplayable.

So we have some members saying that so long as we make up the lost 4 (or 8, depending on which way you look at it) holes by replaying the 5 in play and the course is within 100m of its original playing length that our rounds tomorrow can be used for handicapping purposes.

I don't believe that you could possibly do this. As its a stroke round we don't have to worry about re-ranking holes for stableford points or anything like that but I can't see that we would be allowed to use this for handicapping as what if the 4 holes that are out of play are among the toughest on the course? (Coincedentally, they are...)

What say you OzGolf?

AndyP
29th July 2011, 03:56 PM
I don't know what the minimum requirements would be to be allowed to use the ACR, but it seems very unlikely that you are allowed with 4 holes replaced.

sms316
29th July 2011, 04:10 PM
Maybe.

kingslayer33
29th July 2011, 05:42 PM
Bloody hell Lefty you guys must have been hammered. We have two (from 18 ) out of play at present.

markTHEblake
29th July 2011, 06:55 PM
What say you OzGolf?

It will be in the handicapping rules that your club has a copy of, or go to the GA website.

I'd be leaning to what you think, because your composite course does not have a course rating. My club has a composite course as well as we have 19 greens, when we use that the rounds are never handicapped. If it does get rated then we will.

sms316
30th July 2011, 08:47 AM
I'd be leaning to what you think, because your composite course does not have a course rating.
Probably. Hence the previous post of "maybe".

Hawkers2008
30th July 2011, 01:16 PM
If you have a signed off rating for it for it, no problem.

With the spreadsheets used to calculate the rating, it would be less than a 5 minute job to work the numbers out, the only issue is getting it signed off that depends upon how obliging your state association is.

Tocumwal have 36 holes and play the 6 variations possible from combining the 4 nines. All of these have approved ratings.

In your situation this would be less straightforward, a simpler option would be to run a 14 hole comp, this can be handicapped by adding 8 points to everyones score.

Hawkers2008
30th July 2011, 01:21 PM
of course if the club just goes ahead an does what is planned anyway then the rounds will get handicapped (if they send them). It might not be right but most of the planet won't care.