PDA

View Full Version : Vanuatu

damoocow
24th July 2011, 01:05 PM
Thinking of going there for a week at Xmas with the kids [both teens] - anyone been there ? - would most likely be staying near Port Vila...any info welcome...

gazgolf1
24th July 2011, 01:10 PM
Never been there but I've heard Port Vila is a shithole.

just
24th July 2011, 01:12 PM
It's nice enough, locals are friendly. Diving is great if you are into that sort of thing (I'm not). Eat a coconut crab, very delicious.

sol381
24th July 2011, 01:20 PM
Just like fiji .. mainland is crap you need to venture to the smaller islands. although iririki is very nice.

Jarro
24th July 2011, 02:41 PM
I haven't been to Vanuatu... but Honiara is a dump !!!

LarryLong
25th July 2011, 12:48 AM
Went there for my honeymoon around ten or eleven years ago. Might be a bit slow paced for teenage kids, but I liked it there and would return.

Stayed at the Irririki and it was quite nice, water taxi to Port Vila was regular and the island was pretty. Port Vila itself felt a bit like a country town with a small market and very few western style shops, but I like that.

Attractions? Well, it's not tourist brochure stuff. The islands are nice - we went on a canoeing trip with a mob called Cutting Edge that paddled around some islands with a few locals - that was pretty good. We were also told to jump into a taxi (They are everywhere and very cheap) and go to The Cascades, which was a little spot where you paid a couple of bucks to the local kids and they took us up a little track to a spot on a river where you could swim next to a series of waterfalls and jump in off the rocks. Great swimming spot. There's probably some really good snorkelling if you know where to go. I just went off the coast of our island and found some interesting stuff.

The locals were brilliant - very friendly people, and no hawkers when I was there. The only person that approached us in the street at Port Vila came up to us and asked us if we wanted to go to his village for a traditional meal later that evening for around twenty bucks. We figured it was a pretty safe place so we said yes, and it was a great night.

Great spot for a laid back island holiday.

Stuartd147
25th July 2011, 11:52 AM
I am testing my memory here....we used to go to Fiji each 2nd year when the kids were little and went to Vanuatu Le Meridian once in between about 8-9 years ago and I really enjoyed it, mind you our kids were 10-12 and were a group of 5 families. The place had a 9 hole course on it that was good enough for a hit for a few hours and then there is an 18 hole championship course an hour or so away that we played also. I would go there again, I agree that the main town is not what we are used to but I liked the proximity of the main town to the accomodation for markets, meals and a few nice open pubs...one was owned by an Aussie and they looked after us most days....trips out to the islands and some friendly villages was good. Nice people too.....stu

BrisWesty
26th July 2011, 11:08 AM
Lived on one of the outer islands (Pentecost) for a year as a kid, while my folks were teaching at a mission school. My brother took his family over a few years ago and taught at the same school as part of his long service leave.

Wonderful people, wonderful country. Was the only place we've been happy to pick up someone walking along the road while they're carrying a 40cm machete (and a woven man bag)! Remember seeing a work crew from the calaboose (jail) out as a work team cutting grass with machetes.

I can ask my brother if he has any recommendations on places to go. The land diving (native bungee) isn't on at that time of year.

shavey
26th July 2011, 10:29 PM
Do a search on here for my family and friends rate with IHG. Holiday Inn began managing the property over a year ago (previously the aforementioned La Meridian) and it's the final stages of the refurb which looks pretty good.

Outcast
27th July 2011, 10:09 AM
Been to Vanautu a few times for Port Visits; easygoing kinda place, friendly locals with good diving and fishing

Nice little French Patisserie in the main street, Trader Vics is a great little local pub with awesome local steaks at very reasonable prices.. There is a golf course there which is actually very nice; they play the Vanuatu open there annually

All in all, I think it is a great little place to visit. Great duty free shopping too, depends what your looking for in a holiday I guess

just
27th July 2011, 10:12 AM
Trader Vics how could I forget!

Lagerlover
18th February 2017, 05:33 PM
Anyone been there recently??

Trying to plan somewhere for Xmas for two families with 9,12,15 and 17 year olds.

3Puttpete
18th February 2017, 06:13 PM
Anyone been there recently??

Trying to plan somewhere for Xmas for two families with 9,12,15 and 17 year olds.

Can't wait to hear how badly this goes

Lagerlover
18th February 2017, 06:17 PM
Can't wait to hear how badly this goes

Didn't say I was going... someone has to take care of the spooodle

Yossarian
22nd February 2017, 09:52 PM
Flight 22 escape to Vanuatu.

Myself and significant other recently honeymooned in Vanuatu. NZ first then Port Vila.

Locals are super friendly, Port Vila is still suffering from the tsunami a few years ago. It is also not that developed. The resorts all seem really nice. We stayed at Brekka's Beach Resort and had a good time. You can get around Efate pretty easily hiring a driver for about 60 bucks I think. We visited some sweet waterfalls, blue lagoon etc.

Did a few day trips to see some turtle sanctuary which was pretty cool, ended up on yacht with only a few other onboard so it felt like a private charter. It is normally busier apparently.

We also flitted over to Tanna to see this live volcano, if your budget can stretch to it I do recommend. Tanna itself is super basic (although there is one sexy resort White Sands?) but the volcano is nuts.

Lagerlover
22nd February 2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks Yoss

TheNuclearOne
22nd February 2017, 10:13 PM
Mate went a year ago and loved it.

backintheswing
22nd February 2017, 10:38 PM
Flight 22 escape to Vanuatu.

Myself and significant other recently honeymooned in Vanuatu. NZ first then Port Vila.

Locals are super friendly, Port Vila is still suffering from the tsunami a few years ago. It is also not that developed. The resorts all seem really nice. We stayed at Brekka's Beach Resort and had a good time. You can get around Efate pretty easily hiring a driver for about 60 bucks I think. We visited some sweet waterfalls, blue lagoon etc.

Did a few day trips to see some turtle sanctuary which was pretty cool, ended up on yacht with only a few other onboard so it felt like a private charter. It is normally busier apparently.

We also flitted over to Tanna to see this live volcano, if your budget can stretch to it I do recommend. Tanna itself is super basic (although there is one sexy resort White Sands?) but the volcano is nuts.

Tell us more about the turtle sanctuary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yossarian
23rd February 2017, 01:59 PM
I liked it. They are trying to boost their numbers which is a noble deed.

Daves
21st March 2017, 12:18 PM
We are heading to Vanuatu in May and will be staying at Breakas Beach Resort.

Yossarian
21st March 2017, 09:43 PM
That is where we stayed, good times.

Daves
13th May 2017, 01:51 PM
We are in Vanuatu now, staying at Breaka Resort, just south of Port Vila. If you have any specific questions fire away in here and I will try to find out, if I don't know. Otherwise I will do a trip report when we get back (after the 20th.)

Coldtopper
13th May 2017, 04:53 PM
One must do a carva hut. It's like getting coked off your nut, and really pissed at the same time! The more you drink the more f Ed up love it! When in Rome !

Daves
13th May 2017, 08:17 PM
One must do a carva hut. It's like getting coked off your nut, and really pissed at the same time! The more you drink the more f Ed up love it! When in Rome !We had some Kava the first night. Tastes like crap but you can feel the tingling even with just one. Apparently the women aren't allowed to have it, otherwise there would be no one left straight enough to cook the meals!

Lagerlover
13th May 2017, 09:45 PM
Good spot to snorkel?
Are you playing golf?
Fishing?
How are you getting around?

More to come.

Thanks

Daves
14th May 2017, 07:26 AM
Good spot to snorkel?Are you playing golf?Fishing?How are you getting around?More to come.ThanksSnorkelling and Scuba Diving are 2 of the most popular things to do over here. Though I gather the best best snorkelling/diving is on the northern island of Santo which is where the SS Coolidge and Million Dollar Point Dive sites are.Some resort here around Vila are better than others do it. By there are always day trip tours as well. I will grab all the brochures etc I can find for you.We have not been Fishing or Golfing as yet, but both are available close by. La Gond Resort just up the road has its own 9 hole course, and Port Vila Country Club is just on the other side of town. There are plenty of Fishing Tours available from 3 hours, through to full day game fishing. Again I will grab some brochures.Best mode of transport are what they call Buses. Typically 8 to 12 seater vans. There are thousands of them. Just wave one down. 150 Vatu (about $2) pp gets you most places in Vila. If you want to go a bit further and/or use it like a taxi, you can negotiate a reasonably rate. If you hire them, Drivers will wait for you. For example yesterday 4 of us hired a bus to take us to the Chocolate Factory, then back to ErakorIsland for lunch. It cost us 5000 Vatu for about 5 hrs all up. There are also lots of taxis, but they seem to be less favoured. I gather you have to negotiate a price for each trip.

goughy
14th May 2017, 09:48 AM
I wish I could remember what it was called! There was a beautiful place we went for lunch when we were there, right on the river with kids up the stream swinging off ropes and having a ball. Was great.

Ok, looking through credit card statements help - It was Vila Chaumieres...... we sat right out on the end of the deck - was actually one of our fav moments of the cruise.
http://www.vilachaumieres.com/menu.html
Also enjoyed Hideaway Island.

Lagerlover
14th May 2017, 11:56 AM
Thanks Dave, that'd be great