PDA

View Full Version : Links Port Douglas

mike
12th July 2005, 11:18 PM
Ah, forget it.

Courty
19th August 2005, 10:09 PM
I disagree, Mike. The Links is not a course to forget. It is higher than Paradise Palms on the Top 100 Public Access courses (Paradise Palms is a former Top-10 course before Daikyo reduced the greenkeeping budget).

The Links is surrounded by mangroves and crocodile infested waters instead of fescue and burns. But essentially, it is still a Links course, at the mercy of the sea-breezes, scattered with healthy dose of pot bunkers, huge-undulating putting surfaces and even a token double green. I'm no expert in course design, so I'll leave that to the design boffins (G69?), but The Links is a classy (but difficult) course in a magnificent setting.

Is that what you were going to say, Mike :?:

mike
19th August 2005, 11:23 PM
I disagree, Mike. The Links is not a course to forget. It is higher than Paradise Palms on the Top 100 Public Access courses blahblahblah...
Is that what you were going to say, Mike :?:

Nah mate. Last month I played Port Links in the Inter Club Challenge. I'd never played there before so I started this thread asking if anybody had played there , if anybody had any advice, or at the very least throw in a "no mike , haven't played there but have a great game anyway".

Didn't get a single reply so I thought "stuff it, nobody here gives a rats about anything north of Caloundra " so I edited the post to what you see now.

While I'm here however, I've got to say it was the most incredible golfing experience of my life. Best course I've ever played. Just awesome.

We played a stableford off the blues in a howling gale. Luckily my 3 playing partners had played there before and , as best they could , let me know where to hit and where not to hit.

I played pretty good really, but only scored 23 points. This put me about midfield. There were quite a few scores in the teens. I saw one scorecard with '15' written in the box at the top . Ouch.

Greens and fairways were magnificent. Tees were like billiard tables. My only criticism would be the bunkers, or more precisely the sand in them.
The fairway bunkers were OK , but I found the greenside bunkers were either a bit muddy or had that powdery sh1t in them. I hate powdery sand.

Anyway it was a great day of golf and I wanna play there again.

And it was FREE !! :D

Reg del SamI
20th August 2005, 02:48 AM
sorry Mike, didn't see your original post, and probably wasn't around then on this site anyway.

I agree a nice course, if a bit young yet. Are they still building houses in amongst the back nine?

Courty
20th August 2005, 07:19 AM
I was there not too long ago, and yes, they are still building houses. Bit of a shame really. You don't feel so isolated when there are houses everywhere.

Mike, the first time I played there was with Jonny Smoko and he had played a few times beforehand, therefore he wanted to play from the back markers. There was a very stiff breeze that day too. Can't remember what I had, but it wasn't a great score. I remember several times hitting a nice drive up the middle then getting up there and finding the ball n a massive pot bunker in the middle of the fairway. :evil:

AndyP
30th August 2005, 08:44 AM
..."stuff it, nobody here gives a rats about anything north of Caloundra "
I disagree. We have had several rounds at Nambour. :razz: