PDA

View Full Version : Tour players irons.

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 08:55 AM
This is only a new topic because AndyP locked the old one. :roll: sorry to start a new topic but I think its interesting.

In the latest golf world mag there is a review of the current player irons.

-Xtour
-S59
-TM TP
-MP 32
-wilson
-and some others 10 in total I think.

-Xtour were the most forgiving and the test said they could be played by any hcp.
-S59 long and forgiving
-MP32 the most blade looking not forgiving (BEST ON TEST)
-TM TP a solid club but better out there.

I only list these because they were the ones I looked at before I got the S59.

Anyway the interesting point in the article is at the end. Golf world head instructor and Nike club designer were asked if players irons could be use by someone with a hcp of 16+.

The answer was...... :roll:
Instructor-
A high hcp player will hit players irons better due to the nature of the club. However there is zero error for margin.

Nike-
CB is better unless they have good timing.

Writer (16hcp)-
I had no issuse hitting the short irons and was impressed by the feeling. However put the thin top line of a 2 or 3 iron down and I strugled (except with the x-tour).

Fishman Dan
12th July 2005, 09:01 AM
So basically you're looking for an excuse for vindicate the use of these clubs by hackers?

Note that "more forgiving" still means they are nowhere near as forgiving as a club designed for choppers. You could ask Peter Brock if a P-plate driver could drive a Monaro - the answer would be "Yes", but I think that changes if you add the word "Responsibly" to the end of the question.

By the way, i think Ping, TaylorMade, Nike etc all pay more for advertising in these magazines than Prosimmon, Brosnan, PGF etc. They're not silly, they know which 'performance bracket' is most likely to spend the cash.

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 09:10 AM
Fish I not vindicating anything.

It was just interesting that there was an article in the next golf mag on a topic which sparked so much interest in here.

Timing wise it is a little funny.

I'm happy with my purchase and I think I am hitting my irons better, and by better I mean longer and straighter. I believe in my case and I think I have proved it it doesn't matter how forgiving the club is there is still the same chance I will miss hit it.

BrisVegas
12th July 2005, 09:53 AM
Instructor-
A high hcp player will hit players irons better due to the nature of the club.  However there is zero error for margin.

Nike-
CB is better unless they have good timing.

Interesting that the Instructor reckons a high handicap player will hit the "players" irons better due to the nature of the club... Did he said exactly what was in their nature that made them better for high handicappers? :shock: Presumably it is not forgiveness. :roll: The comment about zero margin for error contradicts his first statement.

It's no point saying that a 16+ hcaper will hit it better with a MP32 iron (or whatever) with a big qualifier like "IF THEY FLUSH IT ON THE SWEETSPOT". How often does that happen? Wouldn't it be better to say the 16+ hcapper will hit it more consistently with an iron that has a higher margin for error, like a CB as recommended by the Nike guy.

Then again, it's not very sexy to advertise the non-player's clubs now is it? :P

kwantfm
12th July 2005, 10:20 AM
I remember a Golf Digest test about a decade ago using a machine hitter to test off centre hits on blades and cavity back clubs. There was very little difference in shot dispersion between the two and I seem to remember that the blades had lower dispersion on toes hits! Perhaps cavity back clubs are now better than they were then?

Trung
12th July 2005, 10:29 AM
MP32s.. yum..

Ok Terence and AndyLo..

Repeat after me..

MP32s .... yum..... :P

kwantfm
12th July 2005, 10:36 AM
Mp32s.... yum....

It's true...

Very happy...

They're even retail (!) :roll:

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 11:02 AM
BrisVegas,

It his words, so who knows he didn't example to much. It was just interesting that a head pro would say it at all even if it is on the premise of hitting them flush.

I went to the S59 because I felt they where more forgiving then my TM LT (proven in tests as well). But with the S59 due to the design you feel the butter centre and miss hits more which is what I wanted.

The article is 3 pages so it is to big to scan but you can go to most news agents and read it- It is the golf world with a silver edge and blue cover. I will check the month for you.

McMw
12th July 2005, 11:08 AM
is it a UK mag???
if it is, I won't be suprised if the club pro has a deal with mizuno at his proshop...
why would he be different from anyone else trying to push their own gear??? right??? :wink:

anyway...mizuno has already ranked highly in the UK golf mags...and it's no wonder that more mizunos are in play (or seems to be) on the EPGA tour than on the PGA tour...

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 12:28 PM
Yes its a UK mag- And he is the Head Pro for the mag.

The article was not pushing mizunos. yes they were the best on test but were also the most un forgiving.

Fishman Dan
12th July 2005, 12:35 PM
Yes its a UK mag- And he is the Head Pro for the mag.

The article was not pushing mizunos. yes they were the best on test but were also the most un forgiving.

Interesting, because users here could say otherwise. Let me guess.. TaylorMade came out #1?

How about this - re-read the article, and tell us which club manufacturer's advertisements appear on the pages in between the start and finish of the article.

McMw
12th July 2005, 12:53 PM
the article may not be pushing Mizunos....but like what fishy is saying, have a look at the club reviews towards the back....and the amt of mizuno advertising thruout the mag...

I never gave much thought abt the Miz advertising in UK mags...maybe becoz its a bloody good change from all the TM/Pirahna/Carngegi/etc etc ads forced on us in AUS based magazines... :roll: :roll: :roll:

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 12:59 PM
Fish,

When I get home I will list all the makes and models and the rank.

But I already answered your question the callaway X-tours were the most forgiving- but lost out because of what makes them forgiving a bigger head. The TM TP came about mid feild. The Pings where about the next most forgiving.

Fishman Dan
12th July 2005, 01:15 PM
Pete - it's not that i need to know any of this, so don't go bustin' your chops to enlighten me, but i think readers of magazines should be aware that what you read these days isn't necessarily the express view of the author. :?

gazgolf1
12th July 2005, 01:17 PM
MP32s.. yum..

Ok Terence and AndyLo..

Repeat after me..

MP32s .... yum.....  :P

X-Tours yum. :wink:

peter_rs
12th July 2005, 01:28 PM
Trust me I take everthing said or written with a grain of salt.

so don't go bustin' your chops to enlighten

I just figured it was interesting how the irons match up & the fact any pro would say a 16 hcp could hit MB better then CB after the othe topic. And there reference point of 16 not 20 :lol: :roll:

markTHEblake
12th July 2005, 01:54 PM
Thats probably based on the simple fact that if you hit a ball off the middle of the club, it makes no difference whether the club is tour or retail, forged or stainless and so on.

There is a bit of a difference between cavity backs say with a low CG compared to blades - the former will have a high girly ball flight due to the clubhead design. That might be the lines that bloke was thinking of in saying that.

990B Luva
12th July 2005, 02:58 PM
MP32s .... yum.... (i hit Andylo's last night)

BrisVegas
12th July 2005, 03:02 PM
Thats probably based on the simple fact that if you hit a ball off the middle of the club, it makes no difference whether the club is tour or retail, forged or stainless and so on..

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

There is a bit of a difference between cavity backs say with a low CG compared to blades - the former will have a high girly ball flight due to the clubhead design.  

.... which is precisely what the typical hacker needs to help get the ball airborne.