PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Golf Apps

matt22
10th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Hi all

Wondering if anyone here uses any golf related Iphone apps and whats your thoughts on them?

I was just looking at Golfcard, seems ok, does anybody here use it?

Cheers

Matt

AndyP
10th July 2011, 08:23 PM
Get the Official Rules of Golf. It has everything.

I also use Scorecard, but that's because it syncs with a stats program that I have on the Mac.

simmsy
10th July 2011, 08:29 PM
was using Golfshot (which is great) but now illegal in comp, but lets not start on that again. it's covered enough in another thread.

matt22
10th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Get the Official Rules of Golf. It has everything.

I also use Scorecard, but that's because it syncs with a stats program that I have on the Mac.

Is that Scorecard Pro Andy? The stats input looked good for the breakdown of your game.

oncewasagolfer
10th July 2011, 08:42 PM
I use golfshot on my iPod touch for stats and it's great.

AndyP
10th July 2011, 08:43 PM
It's just Scorecard. I can't see "Pro" on the iPod app or the Mac application. It can be used on Windows too.

It was one of the few on the Mac that allowed me to look at stats for individual holes over time. It wasn't free though.

matt22
10th July 2011, 08:50 PM
was using Golfshot (which is great) but now illegal in comp, but lets not start on that again. it's covered enough in another thread.

I wont dare bring that up again then Simmsy. Just had a look at it online, looks pretty cool. I was mainly after it for the breakdown of my game. Its between this and scorecard. Whats its course content like?

MegaWatty
10th July 2011, 08:55 PM
Just get the cheap Golfshot to do your stats on.

iHandicap is also quality but entirely useless come September.

Outcast
10th July 2011, 09:10 PM
+1 not going down the Golf Shot discussion again.... Just cost me $280 for a Rangefinder....!!!

I've just gone back to using Scorecard, used to just use printout of the stats sheet (before they put out the Iphone app); just gone back to it and I think it is fantastic. As to courses, you just add your own coz all your doing is putting in the info of your courses scorecard.

peter_rs
10th July 2011, 09:52 PM
Golf shot appears to screw up on Nudgee north it was giving shazza and Jarro extra shots

Iain
10th July 2011, 09:59 PM
Golf shot appears to screw up on Nudgee north it was giving shazza and Jarro extra shots

Are you using it with handicap? As I think it uses slope or course rating to adjust the handicap played too.

MegaWatty
10th July 2011, 10:03 PM
I have seen an issue or two recently, but thought it was to do with iOS 5 beta. Interesting.

Do you mean extra handicap shot PRS?

peter_rs
10th July 2011, 10:04 PM
They had it on USga(Australia). After the round we changed it to none and it was still wrong.

peter_rs
10th July 2011, 10:06 PM
It gave shazza 2 extra shots and mark 1.

idgolfguy
10th July 2011, 10:06 PM
Course indexing has changed but not on Golfshot. Have been meaning to send them the new ratings for my home course.

Iain
10th July 2011, 10:08 PM
I know when I first used it, if I selected 'on' when asked to use handicap, it got the score wrong. Turned it off, it was fine.

oncewasagolfer
10th July 2011, 10:10 PM
I had to take a photo of my courses scorecard and send it to them as they had the old holes when the course was par 71.

MegaWatty
10th July 2011, 10:19 PM
Send them the new rating and a Slope of 113 and it will fix the handicapping up.

My issue is that I put down a 4 and it records it as a 5. I've also got a sand shot for every hole on the back nine of my last round. This didn't happen. As I said though, this could be an iOS 5 issue.

peter_rs
11th July 2011, 07:02 AM
It has the indexs right and course rating, I don't know about the slope

MegaWatty
11th July 2011, 08:59 AM
Slope will be set at 130 or there about.

A quick email will fix it.

matt22
11th July 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the info, only got an iphone today (behind the times I know) Will download a few apps after work tonight hopefully and give them a crack...

Cheers

Croydo
11th July 2011, 06:19 PM
To go with golfshot you can get golfplan which gives you an idea of what to work on. Golfcard is good as well. Ive also got the PGA Tour and European Tour apps as well. The rules of golf app is really good as well as stated and handy to settle any disagreements that arise on the course.

Outcast
11th July 2011, 06:42 PM
Golfshot, Golfplan. Awesome apps but, please be aware (if not already) that you cannot use an iPhone as a distance measuring device in competitions under the rules of golf. There is an entire thread on this; many agree the ruling sucks & the reasoning behind it is considered flawed by some. Nevertheless, it is a rule & you can be DQ'ed if someone decides to make an issue of it.

Just thought you should know

AndyP
11th July 2011, 07:12 PM
You have some superfluous words in your post.

please be aware (if not already) that you cannot use an iPhone as a distance measuring device in competitions under the rules of golf.

Outcast
11th July 2011, 07:49 PM
AndyP;

does that include using it to log my shots in Scorecard? ie: not using the distance measuring device at all?

I ask in all sincerity?

AndyP
11th July 2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, that's what the other thread discussed.

Outcast
11th July 2011, 07:57 PM
Ahh, I missed that part of the discussion whilst I was away.. will take another look at what I missed..

Thanks, wouldn't want to get DQ'ed for a IMHO, poorly thought out ruling

MegaWatty
11th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Nope. Only if it had DMD software installed. An iPhone without it is fine.

Courty
11th July 2011, 08:45 PM
FFS, here we go again.

Courty
11th July 2011, 08:49 PM
Btw, I have the following on my iPhone:

Rules of Golf
Golfshot (free version with no DMD/ GPS)
Golfplan
GOLF Link
iSwing (swing capture & analysis)
Golf Digest
PGA Tour
Camera (for capturing Solarman's hijinks ;))

oncewasagolfer
11th July 2011, 08:54 PM

Rules of Golf
Golfplan
GOLF Link
Golf Digest
PGA Tour
the only one I could find when I searched the apps store was some rss reader is that the one?

Courty
11th July 2011, 09:01 PM
the only one I could find when I searched the apps store was some rss reader is that the one?

Nope. You've got to sign up to the US iTunes sture to get the proper one. There's a link in a thread around here somewhere on how to set up a US account.

Moe Norman
11th July 2011, 09:16 PM
AndyP;

does that include using it to log my shots in Scorecard? ie: not using the distance measuring device at all?

I ask in all sincerity?

Lets not get too far down this road again, but in short AndyP is wrong.

You can use your iPhone in competition, provided it is not used for distance measuring and doesn't have and distance measuring software.

ie: you can take/make calls, enter stats, send texts, take photos etc!

MegaWatty
11th July 2011, 09:21 PM
Golf Channel app is also good.

oncewasagolfer
11th July 2011, 09:23 PM
Roger that

oncewasagolfer
11th July 2011, 09:36 PM
Just installed the golfplan app. seems pretty good:)

Outcast
11th July 2011, 09:37 PM
I sincerely promise I wasn't trying to 'go there again'...

I am going to uninstall the Golf Shot program I have; was going to use Score Card (in fact I just paid for the upgrade - damn) which is a stats only program;

Then I saw Courty's post about Golf Shot 'free' with no DMD ability coz I love the stats connection with Golf Plan

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger... Why did I get Score Card again...

And thankyou to all for the clarification because I didn't want Haysey DQ'ing me!!

oncewasagolfer
11th July 2011, 09:41 PM
Nope. You've got to sign up to the US iTunes sture to get the proper one. There's a link in a thread around here somewhere on how to set up a US account.
Link?

Courty
11th July 2011, 09:44 PM
Link?

If it was that easy to find I would have done so already. I think Megawatty may have posted it. Maybe he still has the link? MW?

MegaWatty
11th July 2011, 09:46 PM
Wasn't me. Google has plenty on the topic though.

matt22
11th July 2011, 11:36 PM
Looks like I have a lot of app shopping to do!

reg
12th July 2011, 02:23 PM
For those with Golfshot you dont need to send them an email to change course rating/stableford rating for holes. You can do it yourself, once you choose your course and are about to select the colour of which tee you are playing from, look to the right top corner and press edit, then you can change it yourself.

When did the no distances on iphone rule come in? Missed that

V1 Golf is a great for swing analysis, bit more expensive thatn others but has a heap of pro swings built in to compare

oncewasagolfer
12th July 2011, 02:54 PM
Good tip reg. If I want to create a forward tee would that be the same rating/slope?

idgolfguy
12th July 2011, 04:05 PM
For those with Golfshot you dont need to send them an email to change course rating/stableford rating for holes. You can do it yourself, once you choose your course and are about to select the colour of which tee you are playing from, look to the right top corner and press edit, then you can change it yourself.

Brilliant - thanks!

matt22
12th July 2011, 06:18 PM
Could have used an application today to actully help me get the ball int he damn hole... Would have had more luck throwing my phone and getting it in...

aussieashley
12th July 2011, 09:21 PM
Lets not get too far down this road again, but in short AndyP is wrong.

You can use your iPhone in competition, provided it is not used for distance measuring and doesn't have and distance measuring software.

From memory wasn't the compass on the iPhone also an issue?

Iain
12th July 2011, 09:43 PM
From memory wasn't the compass on the iPhone also an issue?

Only if your using it as a DMD I believe.

matt22
12th July 2011, 09:55 PM

Rules of Golf
Golfplan
GOLF Link
Golf Digest
PGA Tour

What do you think of the iSwing app courty?

Courty
13th July 2011, 09:22 PM
What do you think of the iSwing app courty?

It's pretty good (when I remember to actually use it). The free version lets you analyse any swing vids you capture, but to compare them to the pro swings you need to pay.

popper81
13th July 2011, 10:46 PM
I have iswing... For a free app it is pretty good. Pulls the trigger quickly though.. Only records 2 seconds at a time. You have to be ready to go. You are able to compare different swings etc. Can't go wrong for free.

oncewasagolfer
13th July 2011, 10:55 PM
I have iswing... For a free app it is pretty good. Pulls the trigger quickly though.. Only records 2 seconds at a time. You have to be ready to go. You are able to compare different swings etc. Can't go wrong for free.
Says it is $3.99 in the app store unless you mean iswingspeed?

popper81
13th July 2011, 11:03 PM
No defs Iswing... I must have paid for it!!! Had it 3 or 4 months now. Thought it was free as I don't normally buy apps. After using it, for $4, I would buy it again.

markTHEblake
14th July 2011, 12:33 AM
Lets not get too far down this road again, but in short AndyP is wrong

Correct, Andyp is very wrong. Sack him.

But I reckon You can use your iphone for all of the above and more whether it has DMD software on it or not, as long as you do not use it to measure distance. As an example Using a phone as to make a phone call is not a non-conforming action regardless of whatever features the phone might have.

Outcast
14th July 2011, 07:15 AM
Thankyou all for the clarification; I have binned the Gps version & downloaded the free version; rangefinder on it's way & some work to do on google earth & home course to make yardage books. Odd question but, does anyone have a suggestion on a brand or type of notebook/holder for a yardage book?

AndyP
14th July 2011, 07:50 AM
Correct, Andyp is very wrong. Sack him.

I think that has been established.

I didn't care enough to look it up, but pointed him to the other thread to look it up himself, so this thread wouldn't be threadjacked as requested.

Outcast
14th July 2011, 10:06 AM
It's okay AndyP, I was grateful for the point to the thread & I think we avoided a major thread jacking.