PDA

View Full Version : How to fix this handicap mess?

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 07:38 PM
I was a visitor at my old home course a few weeks ago and the proshop and score enterers could not get my handicap correct in the system. My score went in as playing off 1 but it should have been +2.

I approached the visiting club about the issue, who then informed me that it needs to be corrected by my home club. After a couple of emails and seeing the Manager the club "attempted" to correct the issue (see link --> http://www.golflink.com.au/matespreview.aspx?golflink_no=2180901906)

So now my handicap is still incorrect by 0.3 and now also all of the flag cards are totally screwed. I have approached my home club again to correct the matter, but nothing has happened as yet.

Do I have any other options? Can I get it fixed with golflink myself?

Cheers

Courty
4th July 2011, 07:42 PM
FFS. What an abortion. NK is handicapper at his club, maybe he can fix it for you?

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 08:16 PM
I have made a slight mistake by not looking at the situation closely enough. After incorrect score was entered my handicap was incorrect by 0.1 (higher than it should be), not 0.3 as I originally stated.

The way I see it now though is that the game on the 11/06/11 needs to get changed to "Played To - 0" or if they can't do that, they need to create an adjustment with a "Played To - 0" round. However having an incorrect "Played To" round in the history is always going to create issues until it drops out of the last 20 played.

I may be wrong though, happy to be corrected!

timinsa
4th July 2011, 09:28 PM
What a clusterF!#$. Good luck mate.

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 09:44 PM
They can't add one round with an offical adjustment of"Played to +1" and have it only appear once, with the new system for every offical adjustment entered by the handicapper, the Golflink software will generate 10 rounds at that "played to score" in an attempt to have that played to score be your ten flagged "counting" rounds for your handicap calculation. That is why all those Offical adjustments are there, and it looks like a "Cluster ****".

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 09:50 PM
They can't add one round with an offical adjustment of"Played to 0" and have it only appear once, with the new system for every offical adjustment entered by the handicapper, the Golflink software will generate 10 rounds at that "played to score" in an atempt to have that played to score be your ten flagged "counting" rounds for your handicap calculation.
Thats a ridiculous "fix", because now it throws the timing / positioning of my 10 flag rounds totally out of whack with how they were before the stuff up.

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 09:57 PM
Thats a ridiculous "fix", because now it throws the timing / positioning of my 10 flag rounds totally out of whack with how they were before the stuff up.

That is our new brillant system, thank GA.......

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 10:07 PM
The Wallacia **** up is because they did not do a start of day vistor handicap check before they started the comp your visit prior to the 11/6/11 at Wallacia was 11/12/10 you were off 1 then, so that is the last H/C they had for you in their system and it was pulled up for your visit on the 11/6/11. If a club doesn't do a visit check of H/C before entering scores their system will just use the last H/c you had when you last played there.

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 10:08 PM
That is our new brillant system, thank GA.......
I was actually a fan of the new system, but if this is how they deal with errors, **** me, somebody help us.

They can't be serious, my whole 10 round flag record has been changed because some knob behind a counter couldn't operate the software correctly! Excellent stuff...

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 10:11 PM
The Wallacia **** up is because they did not do a start of day vistor handicap check before they started the comp your visit prior to the 11/6/11 at Wallacia was 11/12/10 you were off 1 then, so that is the last H/C they had for you in their system and it was pulled up for your visit on the 11/6/11. If a club doesn't do a visit check of H/C before entering scores their system will just use the last H/c you had when you last played there.
Thanks for explaining it mate. What is a "start of day vistor handicap check", is that like some sort of database update or something they are supposed to run?

BrisVegas
4th July 2011, 10:12 PM
Scary stuff. My last round had me off the wrong handicap and subesquently a gross score of 1 stroke higher. Might not be worth getting it fixed if they're gonna make that much mess of it.

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 10:13 PM
I was actually a fan of the new system, but if this is how they deal with errors, **** me, somebody help us.

They can't be serious, my whole 10 round flag record has been changed because some knob behind a counter couldn't operate the software correctly! Excellent stuff...

The handicapper who did the Official Adjustment did nothing wrong, he can't fix the Wallacia **** -up only they can, when they wouldn't fix it for you your handicapper could only do one thing an Official Adjustment, the software did the rest. He only did one Official Adjustment not ten.

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for explaining it mate. What is a "start of day vistor handicap check", is that like some sort of database update or something they are supposed to run?

Yes that is exactly what it is, it will check what visitors are registered in the comp and go to the Golflink database and grab their upto date Handicap. It is just part of the golflink competition software, click one button on the screen with your mouse, wait a minute or two all done, wasn't done just due to pure laziness I suspect.

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 10:19 PM
Scary stuff. My last round had me off the wrong handicap and subesquently a gross score of 1 stroke higher. Might not be worth getting it fixed if they're gonna make that much mess of it.

Nett score I suspect :-D

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 10:20 PM
The handicapper who did the Official Adjustment did nothing wrong, he can't fix the Wallacia **** -up only they can, when they wouldn't fix it for you your handicapper could only do one thing and Official Adjustment, the software did the rest. He only did one Official Adjustment not ten.
Yes I understand that my home club is not at fault here, my gripe is not at them. I am annoyed at Wallacia, but it doesn't surprise me I have spent enough time there to know they are useless when it comes to stuff like this.

I am bemused at the method to fix such a basic error.

My logic = Your handicap at time of round is +2, but somehow who have been entered as 1. That is impossible we (Golflink) will adjust the score to a +2 equivalent.
GL logic = There is a mistake, create a new adjustment score with an arbitrary number and propagate 10 times just for the sake of it.

Ned
4th July 2011, 10:27 PM
MT, have you emailed the Golflink Help Desk ?

CobraSS
4th July 2011, 10:28 PM
My logic = Your handicap at time of round is +2, but somehow who have been entered as 1. That is impossible we (Golflink) will adjust the score to a +2 equivalent.
GL logic = There is a mistake, create a new adjustment score with an arbitrary number and propagate 10 times just for the sake of it.

The fix you wanted done is possible, and is easy to do, but Wallacia refused to do it, they only needed to ring Golflink, have the comp for that day deleted, they then would of had to just go back into the score entry screen for that comp change your H/C from 1 to +2 and then close and resend the comp to GolfLink.

Really system works just fine if people use it properly, Wallacia, instead of taking 10 to 15 minutes to fix your problem, raised their index finger in the air and said **** you, not my problem, get your club to fix it.

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 10:30 PM
MT, have you emailed the Golflink Help Desk ?
Yeah mate, I did about 30 mins ago. I will see what happens..

Ned
4th July 2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah mate, I did about 30 mins ago. I will see what happens..

Kewl,

They have been very helpful every time Ive contacted them.

If you have no luck or response, let me know please.

Minor_Threat
4th July 2011, 10:35 PM
Kewl,

They have been very helpful every time Ive contacted them.

If you have no luck or response, let me know please.
Cheers mate, much appreciated!

timah!
4th July 2011, 10:51 PM
Yes that is exactly what it is, it will check what visitors are registered in the comp and go to the Golflink database and grab their upto date Handicap. It is just part of the golflink competition software, click one button on the screen with your mouse, wait a minute or two all done, wasn't done just due to pure laziness I suspect.

That's what my club does. Gets a few funny WTF looks, but makes sense.

Ferrins
5th July 2011, 07:50 AM

Same for me and I contacted the club and no adjustment. Might put in a card playing off 36 and see what happens.

BrisVegas
5th July 2011, 08:55 AM
Nett score I suspect :-D
Yeah, they got the nett score right, but worked backwards from that to calculate my gross score incorrectly.

I've called the pro shop and asked them to correct it and been assured they would, but it hasn't happened yet. I got the sense that the trainee was 'hearing' me, but not 'understanding' me, iykwim.

Can you email golflink directly to get these things fixed ?

BrisVegas
5th July 2011, 09:20 AM
update - chased up my club again and this time they fixed it! Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel I guess.

TourFit
5th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Like my mate Yoss says..."You just gotta know who's ass you gotta grease!"

Bruce Dickinson
5th July 2011, 05:13 PM
I've gone from 10-13 in about six months....best handicap system ever

Minor_Threat
5th July 2011, 05:19 PM
Update: I received a reply from Golf Link, the bloke was very helpful and just required confirmation from my home club or Wallacia that I did play off +2 on that day. He would then amend that particular round! The GM of my club has contacted Golf Link and it should be corrected soon.

CobraSS
5th July 2011, 07:14 PM
Update: I received a reply from Golf Link, the bloke was very helpful and just required confirmation from my home club or Wallacia that I did play off +2 on that day. He would then amend that particular round! The GM of my club has contacted Golf Link and it should be corrected soon.

And then all you will need is the Official Adjustment deleted.

Ned
5th July 2011, 07:25 PM

:mrgreen:

Minor_Threat
5th July 2011, 07:37 PM
And then all you will need is the Official Adjustment deleted.
I forgot to mention this is happening also!

oncewasagolfer
5th July 2011, 07:42 PM
My local club not my home club have stuffed up my hc about 6 times in the past 4 months and it amazes me how they do it but it makes sense after reading this thread. The handicapper has just been lazy and not updated the database which isnt surprising in the slightest. Maybe I should do something about it?

Minor_Threat
11th July 2011, 03:57 PM
Well it has taken a while but it is finally fixed.

Many thanks to Garth at Golflink who was able to do what I was originally hoping. A correction of the round in question and removal of the "Official Adjustments".