PDA

View Full Version : Interesting idea on solving slow play ...

Marto65
1st July 2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.solution240.com.au/

Just got this website sent to me on facebook ..

Marto.

IanO
1st July 2011, 05:23 PM
Interesting ... I wonder if the psychological effect of simply having it in the group would be enough to hurry some along?

rubin
1st July 2011, 05:28 PM
It would definitely help in identifying the culprits who week in - week out take their time.

Johnny Canuck
1st July 2011, 05:40 PM
Or the guys that lose 22 balls over 18 holes.

rubin
1st July 2011, 06:19 PM

thats not necessarily something a course marshal can control, and you can't ban players simply because they play off a high handicap

simmsy
1st July 2011, 06:33 PM
But if a player is losing that many balls he is playing exceptionally slowly and should be penalized.

Marto65
1st July 2011, 06:38 PM
Our course uses one of the young kids from the Pro Shop in a buggy as the course marshall ... but I've never seen him once have a chat to anybody.

simmsy
1st July 2011, 06:43 PM
That's why Marshalls don't work. A kid is never going to tell the club captain he needs to hurry up. Remove the human element and people can't argue.

matt22
1st July 2011, 09:23 PM
I read an article only last night in a recent magazine in relation to slow play and what people could do to fix it. They suggested a couple of things, one was a name and shame, big board at the end of the course with name of players and their time. Another was prizes for fastest group of the day.

Not sure if either of them would work, i think a lot of it comes down to being aware of where other groups are and how fast they are playing, if you see them approaching then move aside until they have played through. It is hard for new players to be quick around the course when they are learning and looking for wild shots, but i guess a huge percentage of us where all there at one stage in our early days!

Ferrins
1st July 2011, 11:48 PM
I got stuck in a slow round a couple of months ago and we were the first group off and there was only two of us. The dude took ages over the ball and there was on average one search every hole. I let a 4 ball through on the 11th that teed off an hour later than us. I think a cattle prod would of been better in this situation.

Veefore
2nd July 2011, 01:14 AM
Our club has just a few regular slow players who all speed up when being watched but then slow down as soon a the marshall is gone. Every one wants to do something about them but every method proposed has been shot down by the management committee who are afraid of legal action if they try to penalise or ban them.

LarryLong
2nd July 2011, 01:47 PM
Put a two-way radio in one of these things an it would be awesome.

"This is Big Brother speaking. Stop dawdling and putt out."

Courty
3rd July 2011, 08:43 AM
Any idea on how much it costs?

Johnny Canuck
3rd July 2011, 10:24 AM
Our club has just a few regular slow players who all speed up when being watched but then slow down as soon a the marshall is gone. Every one wants to do something about them but every method proposed has been shot down by the management committee who are afraid of legal action if they try to penalise or ban them.

We had a guy like that in the final group in champs at KB. I called him the turtle. As soon as the marshal appeared, he became the fastest guy around. It really drove me nuts.